News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Dean Stokes

Re: Top 10 in Florida
« Reply #25 on: February 05, 2013, 08:01:19 PM »
Bart, for all those in the FGCHA (Florida golf course haters assoc.) I played 2 rounds last weekend in south Florida on perfectly conditioned, challenging courses, 75 degree temperatures, no breeze, no humidity and not a cloud in the sky. I wonder how Shinny played last weekend? ;D
Living The Dream in The Palm Beaches....golfing, yoga-ing, horsing around and working damn it!!!!!!!

Bart Bradley

« Reply #26 on: February 05, 2013, 08:10:59 PM »
Bart, for all those in the FGCHA (Florida golf course haters assoc.) I played 2 rounds last weekend in south Florida on perfectly conditioned, challenging courses, 75 degree temperatures, no breeze, no humidity and not a cloud in the sky. I wonder how Shinny played last weekend? ;D

Dean:

ABSOLUTELY!

But, you would have to admit that if there were 3 or 4 Shinnecocks in FL...no one would belong to the Haters Club.

Bart

Dean Stokes

« Reply #27 on: February 05, 2013, 09:34:17 PM »
Another good course I played many years ago in Ormond Beach near Daytona was Oceanside Country Club.

http://www.occ1907.com/club/scripts/library/view_document.asp?S=NAV&DID=38023&GRP=3553&NS=PUBLIC
Living The Dream in The Palm Beaches....golfing, yoga-ing, horsing around and working damn it!!!!!!!

Lester George

« Reply #28 on: February 05, 2013, 09:55:06 PM »
Country Club of Florida is the "sleeper" of the whole state.  Maybe qualifies as one Tom Doak should include in his collection of overlooked courses.

Lester

Bill McKinley

« Reply #29 on: February 05, 2013, 09:56:15 PM »
Alright here's my stab at my Florida top 10

1. Seminole
2. Mountain Lake
3. Streamsong Blue
4. Streamsong Red
5. Indian Creek
6. Isleworth
7. Medalist
8. Gasparilla
9. Old Palm
10. Orange Lake Legends
2016 Highlights:  Streamsong Blue (3/17); Streamsong Red (3/17); Charles River Club (5/16); The Country Club - Brookline (5/17); Myopia Hunt Club (5/17); Fishers Island Club (5/18); Aronomink GC (10/16); Pine Valley GC (10/17); Somerset Hills CC (10/18)

Patrick_Mucci

« Reply #30 on: February 06, 2013, 12:47:52 AM »

Joel,

Most have never heard of Boca Rio and probably don't know where it is.
But, Ran's old write-up was pretty good.

I don't understand how some of those Golf Digest "top 10" courses could make that list.

Have to question "The Bear's Club" and "Trump"

Without giving much thought mine would be.

1. Seminole
2. TPC Sawgrass
3. Streamsong Blue
4. Medalist
5. Jupiter Hills
6. Naples National
7. Stremsong Red
8. Old Memorial
9. Pine Tree
10. Boca Rio

Dustin Ferrell

« Reply #31 on: February 06, 2013, 01:24:12 PM »
I don't know why (maybe the houses on top of the course), but I just don't get Isleworth honestly.  Played there during a trip that included Old Memorial and found it to be far superior to Isleworth other than conditioning as Isleworth was pretty much perfect.  I think its a great residential course if cart paths are your thing, but not a top 10 in the state.  Haven't played Lake Nona, but the pro I played with there said it was a better course as well and I don't see it on many lists.

Mark Saltzman

« Reply #32 on: February 06, 2013, 01:33:20 PM »
Interestingly, Ran has made his preference for the Blue at Streamsong known...

Resort courses increasingly dominate the best of state lists. The most recent example is Tom Doak’s Blue Course at Streamsong, which is the best public access course in the resort laden state of Florida.

Eric Smith

« Reply #33 on: February 06, 2013, 01:40:26 PM »
Streamsong Blue
Streamsong Red
Seminole
World Woods - Pine Barrens
TPC Sawgrass
Dunes GC
Biltmore
Bay Hill
Brooksville
World Woods - Rolling Oaks

Bill McKinley

« Reply #34 on: February 06, 2013, 01:41:10 PM »
I don't know why (maybe the houses on top of the course), but I just don't get Isleworth honestly.  Played there during a trip that included Old Memorial and found it to be far superior to Isleworth other than conditioning as Isleworth was pretty much perfect.  I think its a great residential course if cart paths are your thing, but not a top 10 in the state.  Haven't played Lake Nona, but the pro I played with there said it was a better course as well and I don't see it on many lists.

Dustin,

2 disclaimers to my ranking of Isleworth as I can't disagree with anything you said...

1. I haven't played many others in the state that would no doubt take its place (ex. TPC Sawgrass, Black Diamond, Old Memorial, Calusa Pines, Pine Tree, just off the top of my head)

2. It is a wonderful experience to play Isleworth.  The gentleman that I play with there has been there since the place opened and knows everything about the place.  It's also cool to run into Ken Griffey Jr, Paula Creamer and others while you're on property.  Just my thoughts  ;D
2016 Highlights:  Streamsong Blue (3/17); Streamsong Red (3/17); Charles River Club (5/16); The Country Club - Brookline (5/17); Myopia Hunt Club (5/17); Fishers Island Club (5/18); Aronomink GC (10/16); Pine Valley GC (10/17); Somerset Hills CC (10/18)

Bart Bradley

« Reply #35 on: February 06, 2013, 03:13:45 PM »

Dustin,

2 disclaimers to my ranking of Isleworth as I can't disagree with anything you said...

1. I haven't played many others in the state that would no doubt take its place (ex. TPC Sawgrass, Black Diamond, Old Memorial, Calusa Pines, Pine Tree, just off the top of my head)

2. It is a wonderful experience to play Isleworth.  The gentleman that I play with there has been there since the place opened and knows everything about the place.  It's also cool to run into Ken Griffey Jr, Paula Creamer and others while you're on property.  Just my thoughts  ;D

Bill:

If running into cool people made a big difference, Bay Hill would surely be number 1 in the rankings.  Arnie is there most days.

IMO, Isleworth has some tremendous holes and excellent and varied green complexes.

Bart

Patrick_Mucci

« Reply #36 on: February 06, 2013, 05:31:53 PM »
Pat,

I'm guessing you're familiar with most, if not all, of the good ones in Florida.

Would be very interested to hear your list. PM if you don't want to commit on this thread.

Brian,

I'm due to play the Blue and Red at Streamsong next month.
Let me provide my list after that play.

Seminole would be # 1 for me.
I think it's one of the really great member courses in the U.S.
Wide fairways, benign rough and yet, all the challenge you can enjoy.

Cheers,
Brian.

Paul Perrella

« Reply #37 on: February 06, 2013, 06:30:24 PM »
Having played many of the courses listed here a thought occurs to me. There are quite a few different courses listed but most of these lists have Seminole on them. It is one of the few I have not played and I was wondering if it really is that good or if the cachet of playing it makes it the leader on many lists.

Bart Bradley

« Reply #38 on: February 06, 2013, 06:54:55 PM »
Having played many of the courses listed here a thought occurs to me. There are quite a few different courses listed but most of these lists have Seminole on them. It is one of the few I have not played and I was wondering if it really is that good or if the cachet of playing it makes it the leader on many lists.

Paul:

Seminole is clearly the best course in Florida of those I have played.  If I were to use something like the Doak scale, it would lead my list by 1-1.6 points.

Bart

Bill_McBride

« Reply #39 on: February 06, 2013, 08:03:34 PM »

I haven't seen Isleworth since the latest remodel, but my impression was zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz......................

Patrick_Mucci

« Reply #40 on: February 06, 2013, 08:36:53 PM »

Paul,

It's really that good.

Given the property the routing is brilliant.

One of the unique aspects of the course is that irrespective of the direction of the wind, while the individual holes play vastly different, the overall balance and tactical challenge remain the same.  That's pretty unique.

In addition to being fun to play, it's all the challenge you could want.

Hole locations can make a huge difference.
In other words, under the same conditions, hole locations dramatically affect play.
# 2 and # 11 come to mind.
On # 2, a back hole location is difficult because there's a back bunker to catch long approach shots, shots left find an upslope and shots right find a deep bunker or worse and shots short find automatic three putts.

You can easily have a three or more club difference depending upon hole location.

And, the almost always present wind makes is really, really special.

If I had to play only one course in Florida, day in and day out, it would be Seminole.

John_Conley

« Reply #41 on: February 07, 2013, 12:01:06 AM »
Eric, nice nomination of the Dunes!  I wouldn't place it in or near the best ten, but I do love playing there!

cary lichtenstein

« Reply #42 on: February 07, 2013, 02:30:44 AM »
I see no mention of either the Ritz, now Trump Jupiter or Admirals Cove, both should be in the top
Seminole is clearly vastly overrated
Live Jupiter, Fl, was  4 handicap, played top 100 US, top 75 World. Great memories, no longer play, 4 back surgeries. I don't miss a lot of things about golf, life is simpler with out it. I miss my 60 degree wedge shots, don't miss nasty weather, icing, back spasms. Last course I played was Augusta

Patrick_Mucci

« Reply #43 on: February 07, 2013, 05:40:44 AM »
I see no mention of either the Ritz, now Trump Jupiter or Admirals Cove, both should be in the top
Seminole is clearly vastly overrated

Cary,

You've been out in the sun too long !

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back