News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Noel Freeman

A more offensive spectacle I cannot recall
« on: January 30, 2013, 04:18:39 PM »
So there Tuco was, seated at the bar, waiting and wonting for that delightful Stella Artois sweating in its glass while the bartender waffled when it happen.  What happened?  1985 did!  I have seen grand entrances in my time, pistaleros, OK coral types, goons in Brooklyn with names like Nunzio who know places in Canarsie you did not want to go to.  But this spectacle was a Colonel Kurtz like horror.

It was bad enough that golf's most beloved completely did not show up for our match on the Streamsong Blue that morning blaming the drive from Tampa-- I officially declare his no contest as a further win in our ongoing series.  No, worse was while Tuco waited for that slow server to part with the suds, that Ran the purveyor of this site walked in.

Now let me just add, I've been with Ran plenty of times in the UK and seen an ugly tweet jacket featured which was still okay given Ran fashions himself a southern, genteel gentleman.  He fits right in with the English public school set who rock salmon colored trousers and drink tasty clarets (but the way try a Gunnars next time in the UK as it is the world's most refreshing aspertif). No but Ran did himself better, he walked into the Streamsong clubhouse wearing a jean jacket.  He dusted off 1985 and it was acid washed with the sleeves rolled up no less!  It was offensive and oafish.  A barbarous relic of the Reagan years.  I thought Joel Stewart was going to fall off the bar and break his mouth with the size of his slack jaw.  Poor Mike Policano had to turn away from the stone washed shine.  Immediately, I in my loud New York accent made fun of Ran and he slinked away faster than Bill Belichick after a Patriots loss.  He knew he had broken a code of ethics among men.  He is just lucky Marty Hackel didn't witness the faux pas as Golf Digest readers would regale in Ran's utter embarrassment and shame.

Ran also tried to break my iPhone when I attempted to take a picture of his sartorial splendor so there is no photographic evidence but there are witnesses and I for one am a loquacious fellow.

I have found the offending perpetrator and here is it...

« Last Edit: January 30, 2013, 07:38:18 PM by NFreeman »

Bill Brightly

Re: A more offensive spectacle I cannot recall
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2013, 04:28:24 PM »
No way Ran wore that in public, we will need more photo evidence...

Joe Bausch

« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2013, 04:36:17 PM »
Little ditty about Jack Ran and Diane
2 American kids growin' up in the heartland...

@jwbausch (for new photo albums)
The site for the Cobb's Creek project:  https://cobbscreek.org/
Nearly all Delaware Valley golf courses in photo albums: Bausch Collection

Mike Nuzzo

« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2013, 04:43:05 PM »
Bill
It is true - there was no joy at Streamsong - the mighty Ran had struck out.

But it did provide the space for me and my partner to thoroughly trash Noel & Mike.
When we got to the top of the majestic Blue first tee, I introduced Noel to Will, my partner.
They looked at each other sizingly, and gave a polite little nod.
Then I realized my gaff...

I repeated the introduction; "Tuco meet Shooter!"

http://instagram.com/p/VH40LVME2f/
« Last Edit: January 30, 2013, 04:45:29 PM by Mike Nuzzo »
Thinking of Bob, Rihc, Bill, George, Neil, Dr. Childs, & Tiger.

Noel Freeman

« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2013, 04:47:39 PM »
A classic moment.. And while Shooter did have 7 birdies and a 69, even he was jealous that Gentle Ben blessed my putter!  Mike, remember I advertise for you all the time with your Indy Colt symbol here in NorCal.. Can you pls IM me Shooter's email?

Bill
It is true - there was no joy at Streamsong - the might Ran had struck out.

But it did provide the space for me and my partner to thoroughly trash Noel & Mike.
When we got to the top of the majestic Blue first tee, I introduced Noel to Will, my partner.
They looked at each other sizingly, and gave a polite little nod.
Then I realized my gaff...

I repeated the introduction; "Tuco meet Shooter!"

http://instagram.com/p/VH40LVME2f/

Steve Lapper

« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2013, 05:35:07 PM »
Tuco,

I believe it!! :o The "New" Ran is a changed man. No more stuffy Carolina vibe for he. After all, when you are called to the wasteland of Hiassen's swamps, you must disguise your true intentions and attempt to fit in among the local flavors.

Now what I want to know is why you were "grinding" through a match with your "real host" when the emergence of any victory could only result in this being your very last tourney appearance!! Rumor has it you were prepared to do battle with the meanest serpents of such domain in order to find and forward your little white pill. Surely you weren't counting on any of your playing partners, or competitors to even contemplate any mouth-to-mouth first aid! ::). You , Tuco, are too wise for that!!

The conventional view serves to protect us from the painful job of thinking."--John Kenneth Galbraith

RJ_Daley

« Reply #6 on: January 30, 2013, 05:57:18 PM »
Tuco, you failed to mention whether our most beloved figure was wearing his most iconic accessory, the ascot.  While we most often think of our dear cyberrunway fashion leader in club casual mufti of ascot w/smoking jacket; was it your apparition that Siralso Ran had mixed and matched the usual ascot with the afore mentioned stonewashed acid sheened jacket. 

As you can see, the sartorial splendor of the ascot featured with the iconic classic jean jacket is a world beater as exemplified in these glam shots:

Is it not uncanny that Siralso Ran's Ascot twin had modeled the lovely ensamble above?
No actual golf rounds were ruined or delayed, nor golf rules broken, in the taking of any photographs that may be displayed by the above forum user.

RJ_Daley

« Reply #7 on: January 30, 2013, 05:58:52 PM »
BTW, Shooter and Tuco, youse guise louk mahvelous! Shooter seems somehow larger than I last saw him!!!  ;) ;D 8)
No actual golf rounds were ruined or delayed, nor golf rules broken, in the taking of any photographs that may be displayed by the above forum user.

Patrick_Mucci

« Reply #8 on: January 30, 2013, 06:11:17 PM »
Noel/Tuco,

Your entire story has to be a fabrication of enormous proportions ?

No one, I mean, no one, would be caught dead in that jacket, let alone Ran.

But, I will make an observation.

Sometimes, when guys get new girlfriends, they do the strangest things to please them.
They wear their hair differently, they buy a new car, they start listening to different music, and sometimes,
sometimes they start dressing differently. ;D

Don_Mahaffey

« Reply #9 on: January 30, 2013, 06:45:19 PM »
It is true.
My partner at the Ren Cup, Garry Cox, and I bumped into Ran (with the jacket on) as he was making his departure. A few moments later Garry, who had never met Ran, said, "THAT was Ran Morrisset?

Noel Freeman

« Reply #10 on: January 30, 2013, 06:46:44 PM »
Pat-

Poor Ted Sturges had to drive back and forth twice to Tampa with Ran from Streamsong, he can attest to the infirmities that plague golf's most beloved.   Besides the indignity of having his name spelled wrong on his hole in one plaque at Mid Ocean (A friend of mine took the picture which I gratuitously sent to Ran for the ironic effect), he has watched a complete evaporation of his game.  Case in point, Ran plays with a white out shaft in his driver. Why?  Its a ladies flex and he's ashamed of his diminished length and prowess off the tee.

So a jean jacket?  Surely it was true and in the cards.  I mean Pat, seriously this is a guy who thinks he can beat you when you play and you are questioning me??

Don Mahaffey- sorry I missed you, Nuzzo said you were around! 

Patrick_Mucci

« Reply #11 on: January 30, 2013, 06:55:34 PM »
Noel/Tuco,

Are you sure it wasn't his brother ?

Are you sure it was Ran ?

Did he seem to be in a hurry to be somewhere else ?

Joel_Stewart

« Reply #12 on: January 30, 2013, 06:57:50 PM »
If the jacket wasn't enough he was wearing a t shirt that looked as though the neck was hand cut with scissors by my 11 year old.  I expect him to delete this as soon as he sees it.

Tuco, you need to be careful as your behavior around Ben Crenshaw was laughable.  "Mr. Crenshaw, may I have my photo with you, Mr. Crenshaw what's your favorite golf course, Mr. Crenshaw this, Mr. Crenshaw that"  my god.  

Noel Freeman

« Reply #13 on: January 30, 2013, 07:12:02 PM »
Say what you will Joel, but Gentle Ben seems mighty happy to know my acquaintance!  And he blessed my putter after using it on the putting green!!! And I sunk the first three putts after.   White Fang anyone??.. As for the Mr. Crenshaw, I realize you have to have manners with folks from the Lone Star state and he was extremely gracious to me which I much enjoyed.... Although Chris Johnston almost strangled me for using Mr. besides his surname.  But alas, that is another story!.

« Last Edit: January 30, 2013, 07:39:25 PM by NFreeman »

Noel Freeman

« Reply #14 on: January 30, 2013, 07:12:49 PM »
Noel/Tuco,

Are you sure it wasn't his brother ?

Are you sure it was Ran ?

Did he seem to be in a hurry to be somewhere else ?

Pat, Ran is always in a hurry, have you ever seen him pay a green fee? 

Joel_Stewart

« Reply #15 on: January 30, 2013, 07:25:52 PM »
Ben and I did get a good laugh when I told you to stop calling him Mr. Crenshaw.  Your response, "hey I'm from New York".  We looked at each other and almost fell over thinking what person from New York would call him Mr. Crenshaw?   

Mark McKeever

« Reply #16 on: January 31, 2013, 09:09:08 AM »
If the jacket wasn't enough he was wearing a t shirt that looked as though the neck was hand cut with scissors by my 11 year old.  I expect him to delete this as soon as he sees it.

Tuco, you need to be careful as your behavior around Ben Crenshaw was laughable.  "Mr. Crenshaw, may I have my photo with you, Mr. Crenshaw what's your favorite golf course, Mr. Crenshaw this, Mr. Crenshaw that"  my god.  

Nice hat inside the clubhouse... :-\

MM
Best MGA showers - Bayonne

"Dude, he's a total d***"

Noel Freeman

« Reply #17 on: January 31, 2013, 09:25:44 AM »
I did have my hat off before that but since I am

1) Balding
2) Had hat head

I asked BC's permission to put the hat on for the picture so I could look good, yes vanity is my weakness.  He said no problem, I don't know about you Marc but when a 2 time Masters champ gives me the high sign and since he was blessed by Harvey Penick to boot, I felt okay about my hat.

Lynn_Shackelford

« Reply #18 on: January 31, 2013, 09:31:14 AM »
I played a few holes Monday with Ben C.  He made no mention of Ran or the jacket, probably thought Ran had been invited by someone connected to Doak.
Ben did say he had a great time and was overwhelmed by the turnout of interested golfers from around the country.  He was also pleased by the speed and smoothness of the bermuda greens.  

He told me that Don Mahaffey gave him a book on Wolf Point and Ben said, "those greens look like they have a lot of rolls."  I told him the pictures probably don't do the rolls justice.  Anyway this was before he rolled in a 7 foot putt with a two foot break.

Don M.      I said was it Don or Mike, Ben said, "some guy with a big chest."  I said that would be Don.
It must be kept in mind that the elusive charm of the game suffers as soon as any successful method of standardization is allowed to creep in.  A golf course should never pretend to be, nor is intended to be, an infallible tribunal.
               Tom Simpson

SL_Solow

« Reply #19 on: January 31, 2013, 09:54:09 AM »
Sad to report, but I also witnessed Ran's satorial decline.  Would that I were a chiropractor, the number of whiplash victims at the bar as heads snapped to view this extraordinary display could have set me up for a long time.

Bill_McBride

« Reply #20 on: January 31, 2013, 10:34:51 AM »
Sad to report, but I also witnessed Ran's satorial decline.  Would that I were a chiropractor, the number of whiplash victims at the bar as heads snapped to view this extraordinary display could have set me up for a long time.

Or maybe a whiplash attorney!

Peter Pallotta

« Reply #21 on: January 31, 2013, 10:50:10 AM »
Noel - let me be the first to say: Ben looks like the older brother you never had! The deep bonds of filial affection and respect that you share is clearly evident.

(By the way, I have a friend who was in Tibet for a hockey tournament and, carrying his equipment bag and stick, happened upon the Dalai Lama coming out of a meeting, gently blessing everyone he passed. Without thinking, my friend held out his hockey stick, and, after a moment of confusion, the Dalai Lama blessed it with a smile. In the hockey game the next day, on his first shot, the  stick snapped in two.)

I don't understand the surprise regarding Ran's latest sartorial choice. It is typical, is it not, for those who inhabit the high plateaus of culture and breeding to challenge the mundane choices and narrowness of mind of those few members of the middle-class whom they deign to allow into their lives? Just when the rest of us, in an anxious bid to please, have adopted the style of the English public school set, our leader mockingly demonstrates his disregard for such fawning tributes!!

Scott_Burroughs

« Reply #22 on: January 31, 2013, 03:09:53 PM »
This is too funny.

Here's Ran's tribute song:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K38xNqZvBJI

I had lunch yesterday with someone who was at the opening, but no mention of era-inappropriate gear.

Mike Hendren

« Reply #23 on: January 31, 2013, 04:04:45 PM »
Ran just might be Hillbilly Tour material after all.   Perhaps I can get  Barney to quit black-balling him.

Bogey
Two Corinthians walk into a bar ....

Colin Macqueen

« Reply #24 on: January 31, 2013, 04:31:56 PM »
Scott,
I agree, a most entertaining thread!

Ahhh ….the inner sanctum! 

I grow old, I grow old
I shall wear the bottoms of my trousers rolled.
Shall I part my hair behind?
Do I dare to eat a peach?
I shall wear white flannel trousers,……

Cheers Colin
"Golf, thou art a gentle sprite, I owe thee much"
The Hielander

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back