News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Mark Chaplin

Re: For those of you thinking of moving to the UK....
« Reply #50 on: January 31, 2013, 06:52:34 AM »
Mark - Pat Mucci confuses us so I'll forgive Rich!
Cave Nil Vino

Mark Pearce

« Reply #51 on: January 31, 2013, 07:14:40 AM »
Mark - Pat Mucci certainly confuses me. 
In June I will be riding the first three stages of this year's Tour de France route for charity.  630km (394 miles) in three days, with 7800m (25,600 feet) of climbing for the William Wates Memorial Trust (https://rideleloop.org/the-charity/) which supports underprivileged young people.

Rich Goodale

« Reply #52 on: January 31, 2013, 07:56:12 AM »
Rich,

I believe you are confusing your Marks.

You are correct, Buckaroo.  I hereby transfer your props to Mark C.
Life is good.

Any afterlife is unlikely and/or dodgy.

Jean-Paul Parodi

David_Tepper

« Reply #53 on: January 31, 2013, 09:02:16 AM »
"I disagree on the tax and VAT argument, workers on minimum wage do not pay much in the way of tax and VAT is zero on rent, food and transport which take up the majority of a young workers income."

Mark -

If these foreign workers are earning so little working at minimum wage that they do not pay much in the way of taxes and VAT, I suspect whatever cash earnings they are fortunate enough to save and return with to their home countries is so small that the leakage of capital from the UK is barely a factor of 0.001% in the UK's economy. Much ado about nothing.

DT   

David_Tepper

« Reply #54 on: January 31, 2013, 09:15:40 AM »
"That being said, Gib, Mark P and others are right about the criminality which the liberalisation of immigration enables and even fosters.  How to get rid of these scum bags (and most importantly to where?) is a real problem in the UK and I assume the USA too."

Rich G. -

There have been criminal elements in every wave of immigration to the U.S. It comes with the process. In the last 100 years we have seen Italian, Jewish, Irish mobsters. I am sure various Asian immigrant communities have suffered in that regard as well.

Both of my grandfathers came to the U.S. from central Europe after the turn of the 20th Century. At the time they arrived, they may or may not have been able to pass the "junky people" test desired by Gib's grandmother. ;)

Some of these "junky people" (or their children) likely died on the beaches of Normandy or in the swamps of Vietnam.

The great hope of the U.S. is that, regardless of how people get to the U.S., they become more "American" as each generation passes. According to Bloody Foreigners, that process is the history of Britain as well.

DT  
« Last Edit: January 31, 2013, 09:17:49 AM by David_Tepper »

David_Tepper

« Reply #55 on: January 31, 2013, 09:22:39 AM »
Sean Arble -

Further info on the difference between Arabs and Persians. At the very least, they are different ethnicities.

http://www.freerepublic.com/focus/f-news/1338091/posts

DT
« Last Edit: January 31, 2013, 10:11:54 AM by David_Tepper »

Rich Goodale

« Reply #56 on: January 31, 2013, 10:06:20 AM »
"That being said, Gib, Mark P and others are right about the criminality which the liberalisation of immigration enables and even fosters.  How to get rid of these scum bags (and most importantly to where?) is a real problem in the UK and I assume the USA too."

Rich G. -

There have been criminal elements in every wave of immigration to the U.S. It comes with the process. In the last 100 years we have seen Italian, Jewish, Irish mobsters. I am sure various Asian immigrant communities have suffered in that regard as well.

Both of my grandfathers came to the U.S. from central Europe after the turn of the 20th Century. At the time they arrived, they may or may not have been able to pass the "junky people" test desired by Gib's grandmother. ;)

Some of these "junky people" (or their children) likely died on the beaches of Normandy or in the swamps of Vietnam.

The great hope of the U.S. is that, regardless of how people get to the U.S., they become more "American" as each generation passes. According to Bloody Foreigners, that process is the history of Britain as well.

DT  

The difference, David is that in previous waves we sent the criminals (e.g. Michael Corleone--at least for a while....) back to where they came from, whereas today (at least in the UK) it is virtually impossible to send a convicted criminal (even rapists, terroists and murderers) back to their home country, in the Europolitique fear that they might possibly be mistreated back at home....
Life is good.

Any afterlife is unlikely and/or dodgy.

Jean-Paul Parodi

Gib_Papazian

« Reply #57 on: January 31, 2013, 12:59:32 PM »
David,

More than 23% of California's prison population are illegal aliens - at a cost upwards of $47K each.

More than 60% of Hispanic gang members in California are illegal aliens.

These would be the "junky people" my grandmother warned about.

Nowhere did I write that David Tepper did not know that Persians consider themselves totally separate from Arabs. Further, my assertion that most Americans are hopelessly ignorant about world geopolitics (and therefore easily duped by politicians) was not meant to include the Treehouse.

Maybe I ought to pen my responses in poisonous green.   

Niall C

« Reply #58 on: January 31, 2013, 01:05:36 PM »
David

No doubt. I recall when I worked in Glasgow city centre a few years ago and used to get a bus the short distance into town and often found I was the only Scot on the bus including the driver. The question is, why no locals going for that job, is it because the wages have gone down on the basis of foreign labour willing to take less, perhaps not.

Niall
No, it's not.  It's because there's a generation unwilling to work when they can survive on benefits.  Why are there so many Poles and other Eastern Europeans doing mundane jobs in the UK?  Because the locals aren't willing to do the work.  Sad but true.  And before anyone asks I am one of the more left wing members on this forum.

Mark

You'll note I suggested perhaps not. I bet I could give quite a few more examples than you of workshy locals not taking a job and it being filled by a foreign national. However there are also many instances of skilled or semi-skilled workers losing work to foreign labour because they didn't take the drastic drop in wages. Now you may so more fool them, which you are entitled to do. And if you want you could come round to my local pub and I'll introduce you to a couple of them and you could state your case while I stand outside waiting to pick you up after you hit the pavement head first.

However the point here isn't who's ideology is best, what is needed is a sensible mature level-headed discussion about  a serious issue at a pivatol time in our history. Unfortunately that's not happening.

Niall

Tim Pitner

« Reply #59 on: January 31, 2013, 01:52:42 PM »
Gib,

I thought Jonathan Swift wrote A Modest Proposal, not Ben Franklin.

Sean,

Race is a myth, ethnicity and culture are real.  Persians are a distinct ethnicity and have a distinct culture, but they're not a race.  Neither are whites, blacks, Hispanics, Asians, etc. 

Gib_Papazian

« Reply #60 on: January 31, 2013, 02:41:15 PM »
Tim,

Tepper is right, I obviously need some sleep.

The Persian comment - parsing terminology aside - is meant to illustrate that Americans are wholly ignorant about the Middle East, including about nations with whom we are either at war or waving our dicks at with empty threats.

I'd also be willing to bet any amount of money that 75% of America could not find Afghanistan on a map - nor have any clue that Iran is book-ended on its western and eastern borders by our military.

And we wonder why Iran is getting pissy with us? Can you imagine the reaction - for instance - if Iran was occupying Canada and Mexico at the same time?

« Last Edit: January 31, 2013, 02:51:25 PM by Gib Papazian »

Sean_A

« Reply #61 on: January 31, 2013, 04:05:38 PM »
Sean Arble -

Further info on the difference between Arabs and Persians. At the very least, they are different ethnicities.
http://www.freerepublic.com/focus/f-news/1338091/posts

DT

Thanks David.  Yes, Iranians (Persians) are completely different ethnically from Arabs.  I learned this the hard way growing up with a ton of Chaldeans about - one learns fast between Arab, Persian and Chaldean.  My point wasn't to question if there ethnic differences between the groups - there surely are starting with the languages.  I was curious about the race comment and if there are some experts who do consider Persians and Arabs as different races - only because I never heard of that previously.  I was just trying to learn something - even about the term "race" and how its used.  No harm or foul intended.  

Ciao  
« Last Edit: January 31, 2013, 04:10:30 PM by Sean Arble »
New plays planned for 2024:Winterfield & Hartlepool

Craig Van Egmond

« Reply #62 on: January 31, 2013, 04:31:28 PM »
« Last Edit: January 31, 2013, 04:38:14 PM by Craig Van Egmond »

David_Tepper

« Reply #63 on: January 31, 2013, 04:47:23 PM »
"Tepper is right, I obviously need some sleep."

Gib -

The reason I said that is because, if you put as much energy and enthusiasm into the rest of your daily life as you put into your posts here, you are likely to be very tired by the end of each day. ;)

DT 

Mark Pearce

« Reply #64 on: January 31, 2013, 06:40:11 PM »
Mark

You'll note I suggested perhaps not. I bet I could give quite a few more examples than you of workshy locals not taking a job and it being filled by a foreign national. However there are also many instances of skilled or semi-skilled workers losing work to foreign labour because they didn't take the drastic drop in wages. Now you may so more fool them, which you are entitled to do. And if you want you could come round to my local pub and I'll introduce you to a couple of them and you could state your case while I stand outside waiting to pick you up after you hit the pavement head first.

However the point here isn't who's ideology is best, what is needed is a sensible mature level-headed discussion about  a serious issue at a pivatol time in our history. Unfortunately that's not happening.

Niall

Niall,

I couldn't agree more about the need for a mature level-headed discussion.  Sadly those who should be encouraging that see more political capital in appealing to those blokes you want to introduce me to in that pub.  That drastic drop in wages can be overestimated, by the way and many of the jobs taken by Eastern Europeans have been filled at exactl the same rate as they previously paid.
In June I will be riding the first three stages of this year's Tour de France route for charity.  630km (394 miles) in three days, with 7800m (25,600 feet) of climbing for the William Wates Memorial Trust (https://rideleloop.org/the-charity/) which supports underprivileged young people.

Sean Walsh

« Reply #65 on: February 01, 2013, 02:40:23 AM »
Rather than asylum seekers or low skill immigrants the biggest problem in Australia is that we will allow businesses who show they can't find tradesman to import them AND pay them less. This is actually a disincentive to those businesses to take on suitable numbers of apprentices.  All because we are incapable of adequately training our own citizens. This doesn't just go for tradesmen either, we import medical staff from 2nd and 3rd world countries depriving them of much needed professionals all because we won't adequately resource or manage our University system.

Instead of having this debate politicians and business groups would prefer to dog whistle to the tabloid primed alarmed electorate.  Yes there is a law and order debate to have in there as well but it's much easier to use fear than actually discuss anything.

Mike Hendren

« Reply #66 on: February 01, 2013, 09:50:03 AM »
Gibby, your next film should be about a reclusive middle-aged man who suffers traumatic memory loss only to discover a golf forum on the internet which singularly shapes his opinions about college football,  local national and international politics,  social issues, economics, women, the performing arts and religion.   His next door neighbor is Uncle Bob.  He then runs for public office.

You're welcome.

Bogey
« Last Edit: February 01, 2013, 09:54:33 AM by Michael_Hendren »
Two Corinthians walk into a bar ....

Bill Brightly

« Reply #67 on: February 01, 2013, 12:02:23 PM »
Would you guys please stop distracting Gib so he can write the next installment of "Bless Me For I Too Have Sinned?"

Gib_Papazian

« Reply #68 on: February 01, 2013, 05:20:48 PM »
Bogey,

Any candidate whose platform promises to vaporize the Department of Education, turn the Pentagon into a Museum of Military Stupidity and order Harry Reid, John Boehner, Barak Obama and Rush Limbaugh stripped naked, put in stocks and pelted with dogshit by disabled veterans might not exactly be electable - but could be the inspiration for a screenplay.

Network II – Apoplectic Now

I thought of this thread yesterday afternoon when a (I use this term loosely) “customer” showed up with a cashier's check for a truckload of product. Their credit is F-minus and I refuse to give them anything without upfront payment.

The odd thing – although it is not a mystery – is Asian and Hispanic companies with hideous credit have to constantly be admonished not to bring us bricks of cash to pay their invoices. Why it is so difficult to compete against them? Part of the answer is that the playing field is not level – especially when taking into account that their insular, underground economy flagrantly evades taxes.

The State of California is like a giant octopus, ruthlessly persecuting and prosecuting any and all targets they can harass with excessive fees and onerous, expensive regulatory lunacy – all except the underground economy. That is because they have been unable to crack the vault. There is a reason that foreign nationals often confine their business activities to other foreign nationals.

They know that it is a lot easier for the State to hold up legit companies; we are an easy target and pulling the lid off the money laundering scam and tax evasion by foreign nationals would require those lazy, entitled nitwits who work for the State to get off their fat asses and actually do their jobs for a change.  

They are all in on it - and therefore, nobody narcs out their neighbor. It is like the Senate Sewer Aisle, everybody is dirty, so nobody calls anybody out – beyond churning out meaningless platitudes and sound bites targeted at brain-dead soccer moms who watch Oprah (oooooh, it's for the children) and jingoistic nitwits (Let's kill the towel-heads!) who actually listen to Sean Hannity.

Princess Smartypants plopped down at the kitchen counter last night with her Social Studies homework. The assignment – and I had to laugh right on the heels of the above – was to analyze the effect of NAFTA on both the United States and Mexico.

The worksheet questions did not address Canada, which I also thought amusing. The lesson plan assumed that business relations between the two nations is above board and totally transparent, which goes to show how naive young teachers are – newly indoctrinated and brainwashed beboppers with no concept how the real world actually operates.

I explained the economic birds and bees to Princess, starting with “mordita” and how this form of local extortion is a drop in the graft bucket when compared to the outright bribery, criminality and systemic collusive corruption between multinational corporations and the two governments.

She endures my professorial pontifications with good humor – though mindful that her Dad's take on things (though often vehement) are not strictly objective. I've taught her a healthy distrust of authority, which acts as a counterpoint to her mother's congenital, lockstep conformity and blind faith in malicious institutions.

Smartypants left her schoolwork binder open and I read her answers this morning. Regardless of the subject, there is normally little doubt which parent helped with her homework, but her treatise on NAFTA read like a scathing indictment against amoral alliances, corporate subterfuge and unscrupulous politicians on both sides of the border. Follow the money and all that.

Princess will volunteer to read her responses to the rest of the class and I'll be interested to find out if the teacher was overcome by the vapors. With any luck, Network II – Apoplectic Now will one day be a reality show instead of a movie.  

« Last Edit: February 01, 2013, 09:12:16 PM by Gib Papazian »

David_Tepper

« Reply #69 on: February 02, 2013, 06:23:50 PM »
There is an article well worth reading on the declining birthrate in the U.S. in this weekend's Wall Street Journal. Immigration could be our salvation.

Gib_Papazian

« Reply #70 on: February 03, 2013, 01:18:12 AM »
David,

The Social Security pyramid scheme doesn't work unless Uncle Sam gets his vig of the action from the newbies.

That ain't happening. You dig? My post above is fact.

Speaking as chief cook and bottle washer of a struggling enterprise, the government's latest sweep of chips off our table might have finally done the trick. Pretty soon, between Obama Care, corporate welfare and Death Taxes, there will be few if any family companies left - and big business will be free to pick the bones of what is left.

The problem is that more donkeys are riding the wagon than pulling it. If you want to open the borders and give America a transfusion of new blood, you better make sure everybody - starting with corporate America and the underground economy - are being held to the same rules. If you think the cards are legit and the table is level, pull up a chair in my world and we'll see how you like watching everybody else deal from the bottom of the deck.      

« Last Edit: February 03, 2013, 01:24:17 AM by Gib Papazian »

David_Tepper

Re: For those of you thinking of moving to the UK.... New
« Reply #71 on: February 03, 2013, 11:13:16 AM »
"The nation's falling fertility rate is the root cause of many of our problems. And it's only getting worse."

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424127887323375204578270053387770718.html?mod=%3C%25mst.param%28LINKMODPREFIX%29
« Last Edit: February 03, 2013, 11:17:24 AM by David_Tepper »

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back