News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Brian Colbert

Re: Short Par 4s...In Order
« Reply #50 on: January 27, 2013, 12:54:52 PM »
I'd like to throw in 1 and 3 at Cherry Hills, 8 at Bandon Trails, 1 and 11 at Merion East, and 17 at Oakmont for consideration

Patrick_Mucci

« Reply #51 on: January 27, 2013, 02:39:26 PM »
Ian,

Good call on Fenway

# 8 isn't bad either

Sean,

# 11 at Yale ?  ?  ??

Where's the love for # 1, # 5, # 9 and # 14 at GCGC

# 6 at WFW
# 11 at WFW

# 4 at Plainfield

# 11 at Preakness Hills

# 3 & # 12 at Mountain Ridge

# 10 The Creek

# 13 Piping Rock

# 3 & # 12 Atlantic

# 5 Southampton

# 1, 2, 13 Westhampton

# 13 Hollywood

Jud_T

« Reply #52 on: February 03, 2013, 10:22:55 AM »
Interesting exercise. Here's a crack at it:

1. Old Mac
2. Yale
3. Pinehurst #2
4. County Louth
5. Crystal Downs
6. Pac Dunes
7. Ballyneal
8. Bandon Trails
9. Fishers Island
10. Riviera
11. Carnoustie
12. TOC
13. Kingsley
14. Bay of Dreams
15. Harrison Hills
16. We-Ko-Pa
17. Glen View Club
18. Prestwick

This would also be a nice idea for the Doak Gazetteer in the new CG.
Golf is a game. We play it. Somewhere along the way we took the fun out of it and charged a premium to be punished.- - Ron Sirak

Jason Topp

« Reply #53 on: February 03, 2013, 12:48:19 PM »
Is 1 at Brora really that good?  I remember it being a bit bland but I was running around trying to keep my kids going in a forward direction as I played it. 

Woking 1 sticks in my memory in the driveable category. 

Jim Nugent

« Reply #54 on: February 05, 2013, 08:24:19 AM »
Two holes I haven't seen mentioned:

#7 at Olympic Lake (old version, don't know post-renovation);

#10 at the Belfry.

jeffwarne

« Reply #55 on: February 05, 2013, 08:39:45 AM »
Seems to me a few holes at both Streamsong should be in the mix
#6 Blue-great green running away, exciting uphill blindish drive
#13 very risk reward
#1 bail to safe right side and blindish approach
seen all three driven, and a variety of other scores

#4? SS Red-centerline bunker and green approached best from different angles depending on pin
#9 Red-really difficult semi volcano green

Also 16 Southampton has really been enhanced with large centerline bunker/berm 280 out blocking view of green, making judgement dicey to green running away for those who don't strategically place drive right or left
« Last Edit: February 05, 2013, 08:41:35 AM by jeffwarne »
"Let's slow the damned greens down a bit, not take the character out of them." Tom Doak
"Take their focus off the grass and put it squarely on interesting golf." Don Mahaffey

Niall C

« Reply #56 on: February 05, 2013, 02:13:37 PM »
Being away from home I haven't had the benefit of looking at my stock of strokesavers to jog the memory of courses played so instead I thought I'd mentally go through the courses in the north of Scotland that I've had the pleasure of either playing or walking round while I've been in exile these last 3 and a bit years.

1 – Royal Dornoch (302-331 yds) Duff House Royal (313 yds) Tarbat (284 yds)
2 – Nairn Dunbar (300-330 yds)
3 – Castle Stuart (266-305 yds)
5 – Strathlene (305 yds) Duff House Royal (319 yds)
8 – Tarbat (300 yds)
9 – Grantown on Spey (275 yards), Moray Old (310 yards) Tarbat (323 yards)
10 – Moray Old (313 yards), Moray New (325 yards)
12 – Buckpool (278 yards) Elgin (263-276 yards)
13 – Elgin (295-325 yards)
15 – Nairn (306 yards)
16 – Forres (302 yards)
17 – Elgin (331-338 yards)
18 – Duff House Royal (340 yards)

If anyone can think of candidates for 4, 6, 7 and 11 please feel free to chip in. I should say also that put a limit of 350 yards on what I consider a short par 4 although anything over 325 yards has to be exceptional I think to make the list.

Niall

James Boon

« Reply #57 on: February 05, 2013, 06:48:01 PM »
Is 1 at Brora really that good?  I remember it being a bit bland but I was running around trying to keep my kids going in a forward direction as I played it. 

Woking 1 sticks in my memory in the driveable category. 

Jason,

I've always thoroughly enjoyed the first at Brora. Its probably not quite as good at the 6th at Royal Cinque Ports, but there are similarities, and considering how much I love that hole, anything similar can't be all bad? Long iron out to the left, leaving a tricky pitch to a rasied up green with the sea beyond. Anything short or left of the green falls away and leaves a tricky recovery. Anyone going for the small green from the tee, needs to hit it perfect or stuck in the sandy rough short, or long and left (in the hollow mentioned earlier) are the most likely outcomes. I've seen my brother hit the green and make an eagle but I've also seen him go for it and run up some big numbers!

Niall,

Talking of Brora, the 4th could make your northern Scotland list? Not the best short 4, but I like the ridge which needs to be carried as a feature. Run one over it and you can get close to the green, but if you pitch into it with your drive it can run to that hollow on the right and leave a tricky one hundred and something yard approach shot.

Cheers,

James
2023 Highlights: Hollinwell (Notts), Brora, Aberdovey, Royal St Davids, Woodhall Spa, Broadstone, Parkstone, Cleeve, Painswick, Minchinhampton, Hoylake

"It celebrates the unadulterated pleasure of being in a dialogue with nature while knocking a ball round on foot." Richard Pennell

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back