News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Rick Shefchik

A list of the oldest courses in the U.S. -- corrections?
« on: January 18, 2013, 04:38:49 PM »
I'm doing some research for St. Paul's Town & Country Club (1893). I want to accurately place the club on a timeline of existing U.S. golf clubs. I'm interested in making the distinction of whether a club has moved from its original location. Here's what I've got so far (thanks mostly to prior GCA threads). If I'm missing something or have something wrong, please weigh in:

Savannah Golf Club, Savannah, GA. Evidence of golf played on that site pre-1800; current course established in 1899.

Oakhurst Links, White Sulphur Springs, WV. Closed for many years, restored 1994.

The Dorset Field Club, Dorset, VT

The Saint Andrew's Club, Hastings-on-Hudson, NY. Not on original site.

The Country Club of Middlesboro, Middlesboro, KY

Dutcher Golf Course, Pawling, NY. 9 holes.

Shinnecock Hills, Southampton, NY.
Aetna Springs, Pope Valley, CA.
Kebo Valley Golf Club, Bar Harbor, ME
Grindstone Neck, Winter Harbor, ME
Gearhart Golf Links, Gearhart, OR

Highland Links Golf Course, Cape Cod, MA. 9 holes
Downers Grove Golf Club, Downers Grove, IL; original site of Chicago Golf Club.
The Old Course at the Homestead, Hot Springs, VA
Palmetto Golf Club, Aiken, SC
Mare Island Golf Club, Vallejo, CA
Moorestown Field Club, Moorestown, NJ. 9 holes
Merchantville Country Club, Cherry Hill, NJ. 9 holes

The Town & Country Club, St. Paul, MN
The Country Club, Brookline, MA

"Golf is 20 percent mechanics and technique. The other 80 percent is philosophy, humor, tragedy, romance, melodrama, companionship, camaraderie, cussedness and conversation." - Grantland Rice

Phil McDade

Re: A list of the oldest courses in the U.S. -- corrections?
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2013, 04:58:43 PM »
Rick:

Essex County CC in New Jersey lists its incorporation dating back to 1887: http://www.essexcountycc.com/club/scripts/public/public.asp

Don't know if the club's course dates back that far.

Sven Nilsen

« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2013, 05:16:36 PM »
Rick:

Just confirming that you're looking for clubs/courses that are still in existence.  I think I have a few additions either way.

Sven
"As much as we have learned about the history of golf architecture in the last ten plus years, I'm convinced we have only scratched the surface."  A GCA Poster

"There's the golf hole; play it any way you please." Donald Ross

Rick Shefchik

« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2013, 05:27:00 PM »
Yes, Sven, I'm compiling a list of existing clubs. Oakhurst might be a bit of a stretch, but every other club on the list has been playing continuously since inception -- not necessarily in the same location. The other exception would be Downers Grove, where golf has been played since 1892, but not by the same club.
"Golf is 20 percent mechanics and technique. The other 80 percent is philosophy, humor, tragedy, romance, melodrama, companionship, camaraderie, cussedness and conversation." - Grantland Rice

Jim_Kennedy

« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2013, 06:28:42 PM »
Foxburg -1887
"I never beat a well man in my life" - Harry Vardon

Ronald Montesano

« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2013, 06:51:47 PM »
OT, but worth a mention nonetheless...if anyone comes up this way and has a valid passport, we can take a stroll by:

http://www.notlgolf.com/history.html
Coming in 2024
~Elmira Country Club
~Soaring Eagles
~Bonavista
~Indian Hills
~Maybe some more!!

RJ_Daley

No actual golf rounds were ruined or delayed, nor golf rules broken, in the taking of any photographs that may be displayed by the above forum user.

Doug Spets

Rick Shefchik

« Reply #8 on: January 19, 2013, 12:31:11 PM »
Thanks, folks. Here's the updated list (I haven't added Essex, because it's unclear when the golf course opened. If anyone can direct me to more information, I'd appreciate it.)

Savannah Golf Club, Savannah, GA. Evidence of golf played on that site pre-1800; current course established in 1899.

Oakhurst Links, White Sulphur Springs, WV. Closed for many years, restored 1994.

The Dorset Field Club, Dorset, VT

The Foxburg Country Club, Foxburg, PA

The Saint Andrew's Club, Hastings-on-Hudson, NY. Not on original site.

The Country Club of Middlesboro, Middlesboro, KY

Dutcher Golf Course, Pawling, NY. 9 holes.

Shinnecock Hills, Southampton, NY.
Aetna Springs, Pope Valley, CA.
Kebo Valley Golf Club, Bar Harbor, ME
Grindstone Neck, Winter Harbor, ME
Gearhart Golf Links, Gearhart, OR

Highland Links Golf Course, Cape Cod, MA. 9 holes
Downers Grove Golf Club, Downers Grove, IL; original site of Chicago Golf Club.
The Old Course at the Homestead, Hot Springs, VA
Palmetto Golf Club, Aiken, SC
Mare Island Golf Club, Vallejo, CA
Moorestown Field Club, Moorestown, NJ. 9 holes
Merchantville Country Club, Cherry Hill, NJ. 9 holes

The Town & Country Club, St. Paul, MN
The Country Club, Brookline, MA

Keith OHalloran

« Reply #9 on: January 19, 2013, 12:39:38 PM »
The Maidstone Club 1891 with expansion in 1899.

Rick Shefchik

« Reply #10 on: January 19, 2013, 12:51:29 PM »
The Maidstone Club 1891 with expansion in 1899.

Are any of the original 1891 holes still in use, or at least part of the current golf courses?

Brian Ross

« Reply #11 on: January 19, 2013, 01:01:56 PM »
Wow!  I had no idea that Middlesboro Country Club in Kentucky was that old.  I played there several times back in high school.  I need to dig through my old computer and see if I can find some pictures of that place!
Time is but the stream I go a-fishing in.

http://www.rossgolfarchitects.com

Bill_McBride

« Reply #12 on: January 19, 2013, 11:20:47 PM »
How about that interesting little nine holer at the north end of Lake Otsego?

Rick Shefchik

« Reply #13 on: January 20, 2013, 09:24:27 AM »
Bill, the Otsego Golf Club was established in 1894. For now, I'm cutting off the list at 1893 -- I had no idea there were that many U.S. courses established earlier than 1893.

Jim_Kennedy

« Reply #14 on: January 20, 2013, 12:21:50 PM »
The Onteora Club in Tannersville NY dates from 1887 and their golf course was  "Established in the 1890s" per the clubs website:

http://onteoraclub.com/facilities.php

I once searched for the architect of this course but had little luck finding the answer, or for the date of construction.

There's Glen Arven in Georgia, from 1892.

Two nearer home:  Quogue Field Club in Quogue NY - 1887,  and Segregansett CC in Taunton Ma - 1893.
« Last Edit: January 20, 2013, 12:41:39 PM by Jim_Kennedy »

Brian Ross

« Reply #15 on: January 20, 2013, 12:44:41 PM »
Rick,

How about the 9-hole Quogue Field Club on Long Island?  I can't find much information on it, but the consensus seems to be that it opened for play in 1887.  

Also, you have many of the 9-hole courses listed as such.  The Country Club of Middlesboro (1889) is 9 holes as well.
« Last Edit: January 20, 2013, 12:47:12 PM by Brian Ross »

Rick Shefchik

« Reply #16 on: January 20, 2013, 12:52:21 PM »
While searching for more information on when the Onteora course opened (can't seem to pin down an actual year in the early 1890s), I came across this list, supposedly compiled by the USGA a few years ago:

http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/3744-the-first-100-clubs-in-america/

The problem with this list is that it goes by the year in which the club was formed, rather then when the current golf course was opened. The Town & Country Club of St. Paul is listed as 1888 -- the year it came into being as a social club built around the St. Paul Winter Carnival -- but the golf course didn't open until 1893. Same with the White Bear Yacht Club -- listed here as 1888, when the sailors formed the club, but the first 9 holes didn't open until 1912. I'm trying to list the golf courses in the order in which they opened.
« Last Edit: January 20, 2013, 01:06:16 PM by Rick Shefchik »

Brian Ross

« Reply #17 on: January 20, 2013, 01:06:13 PM »
Rick,

You should check out Harper's Official Golf Guide.  It is available for free download on Google.  It was published in 1901 and, in short, documents many of the golf clubs that were around in the US at that time.  It does not list Onteora at all.  Of course, it also doesn't list Middlesboro in KY so take it for what it's worth.

http://books.google.com/books/about/Harper_s_Official_Golf_Guide.html?id=BbAUAAAAYAAJ
« Last Edit: January 20, 2013, 01:09:55 PM by Brian Ross »

Jim_Kennedy

« Reply #18 on: January 20, 2013, 01:36:35 PM »

Greg Ohlendorf

« Reply #19 on: January 20, 2013, 02:50:02 PM »
Rick,

I am also interested in a list of the earliest courses, but like you, would also like to sort out those that have moved to a new location at a later date or didn't start as a golf club. My home club, Flossmoor, still sits on the same site as it did when it was founded in 1899. There just aren't that many that are older that have remained on the site they began on, but I have never seen a definitive list on this topic.

Best of luck in trying to sort this out.

Greg

Sven Nilsen

« Reply #20 on: January 20, 2013, 04:33:52 PM »
Rick,

You should check out Harper's Official Golf Guide.  It is available for free download on Google.  It was published in 1901 and, in short, documents many of the golf clubs that were around in the US at that time.  It does not list Onteora at all.  Of course, it also doesn't list Middlesboro in KY so take it for what it's worth.

http://books.google.com/books/about/Harper_s_Official_Golf_Guide.html?id=BbAUAAAAYAAJ

Brian:

There is also a version of the 1900 Harper's Report available on the USGA site.  As many know, that version goes into a bit more detail as to who was responsible for laying out the courses included in the listing.

There is also book entitled "Golf in America" (also found on the USGA site) that was published in 1895 and goes into a good bit of detail regarding many of the courses in existence at that time.  I do not think this book provides and exhaustive list of the courses that had been built in America to that date (probably due to a regional focus), and I think its publication probably added to the lore of St. Andrews being considered the first course built in America.  It is, however, and excellent contemporaneous resource.  Here's a list of the courses covered:

St. Andrews Golf Club (inc. 1888) - club built a 6 hole course which was abandoned.  A second six hole course was built which was played over for two years until the land was sold for building.  Club moved to the Odell Farm property at that time and built a 9 hole course.  The book notes that the club intends to extend the course to 18 holes.

Shinnecock Hills Club (inc. 1890) - laid out by W. Davis in 1891, with the spring of 1892 seeing the game "firmly established in its new home."  As of 1895, the course had an 18 hole course and the ladies course.

Newport Golf Club - founded in January 1893.

Tuxedo Golf Club - game began there three years ago (1892?), though play on the present links only dates from July of 1893.  Hole names at the time - The Orchard, The Railroad, The Dismal Swamp, The Heavenly Twins, The Brown, The Alps (a template?), The Devil's Hole and House.

Morris County Golf Club - already possessing the full number of 18 holes.  Course is noted as being new.

Golf Club of Montclair - club was organized in October 1894.  9 holes were laid out rather hurriedly.

Orange Mountain Golf Club - organized during the past year.

Richmond County CC - 9 holes so far, intended to increase the number during the coming season.

Meadow Brook Hunt Club - very good links laid out over rolling country.

Country Club of Brookline - golf has obtained a strong footing.

Essex County Club - Willie Campbell was the professional for the 1894 season.

Warren Farms Golf Club.

Myopia Hunt Club - game was started last summer.

Prides Golf Club - course laid out in 1893.

Merion Cricket Club - has an excellent links.

Germantown Cricket Club - has an excellent links.

Philadelphia Country Club - game started about two years ago, regular course laid out in summer of 1894.

Chicago Golf Club (at Belmont) - inc. July 1893.  Predated by a small golf club at Lake Forest organized by Hobart C. Chatfield-Taylor.  In December 1894 club authorized the purchase of the land in Wheaton for the construction of the new course.

Country Club of Colorado Springs - took up the game in 1891.  Course has only 9 holes, to be extended to 18.  The "disease of golf" has taken deep root.

Notation of another golf course near Denver.

The book also makes note of the clubs in Canada, including the Royal Montreal Golf Club (1873), Quebec Club (1874) and Toronto Golf Club (1876 - only 18 hole course in the country (Fernhill course which was built in 1882)).  Additional Canadian courses include the Niagara Golf Club (1882), Kingston (1891), Ottawa (1891), Deer Park Club (1894), London Club (1894) and Hamilton Club (1894).

Back later to discuss additional information from other sources.

Sven
« Last Edit: January 21, 2013, 12:42:45 PM by Sven Nilsen »
"As much as we have learned about the history of golf architecture in the last ten plus years, I'm convinced we have only scratched the surface."  A GCA Poster

Brian Ross

« Reply #21 on: January 20, 2013, 05:29:27 PM »
Thanks Sven, was unaware of that. I'll check it out!

Sven Nilsen

« Reply #22 on: January 20, 2013, 08:27:43 PM »
Rick:

If you're going to include Savannah, you might want to note the following as well:

Albany, NY - minutes of a December 10, 1659 meeting of the Honorable Commissary of Magistrates of Ft. Orange and the village of Beverwyck (now Albany, NY) "...forbid all persons to play golf in the streets..."

Fayettesville, NC - reference to golf being played in 1728

Charleston, SC - Harleston's Green (1786) and South Carolina GC (1788)

Burlington, IA - reference to golf being played in 1883

Sarasota, FL - Sarasota GC started as a 2 hole course by J. Hamilton Gillespie (some sources have 1883 for the date when Gillespie introduced the game to Sarasota, but other records note that he did not arrive in the U.S. until 1886)

Nance County, NE - Alex Findlay laid out a rudimentary 6 hole course to play while visiting relatives in Nebraska (known as Merchiston Ranch or Kemp)

Pete_Pittock

« Reply #23 on: January 21, 2013, 07:20:25 PM »
The Oakhurst-Homestead thread reters to an article which names Pedley Farms (CA) in 1892.
California Golf
In California, Pedley Farms was created by Charles Maud in 1892 as a 9 hole tract. Colonel
W.E. Pedley had helped him with the layout and the course was named after him. This course would be
redesigned and renamed at least twice through the years. After the first redesign it was named Arlington
CC and following a 2nd rework by amateur champion Max Behr, it was renamed once more, this time
Victoria CC in 1903 and the Riverside, California layout remains today. However, the course was
changed so significantly through the years that very little remains of the original Maud design, but
historians do recognize Victoria CC as a direct descendent of Pedley Farms, and thus the first course in
the state, although it would hardly qualify as the oldest continual course!

Link to entire article by Jim Healey http://www.stlgolfhistory.com/Oldest%20Courses.pdf

Sven Nilsen

« Reply #24 on: January 21, 2013, 07:58:27 PM »
Pete:

I wouldn't give that much credence to the Healey article.  There are several blatant mistakes, including the Homestead/Oakhurst first tee story.

The information in this link from the SCGA seems to suggest that the Riverside course moved from its original location:

http://www.scga.org/Default.aspx?DN=58e1db2e-f2c4-4e25-ad3d-4a5f226445f4

Sven

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back