News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

paul cowley

Re: See Diamante on Golf Channel today
« Reply #25 on: January 16, 2013, 09:01:51 PM »
Hey Jim - I'd chime in but I have yet to see it. Too busy working when its been played!

Actually I am on site right now, and have been for the past few months....project managing the new Tiger Woods course 'El Cardonal' and building 2 new ocean side holes on our Dunes course ( when we originally built the course we were not able to build forward of the primary dune, but that has changed so we will retire the old #12 and 13 into a practice loop in favor of the two new and improved holes).

I will chime in about the new TW Design course (which is almost half shaped). Both enjoy some similar terrain (dunes) and different (Woods has more elevated desert, arroyos and long ocean views). Both also have different styles and strategies that compliment each other and will be a great expansion of the Resorts amenities.

Greg's wrong about the land to the north...it's equal if not better (in the right hands of course) :)
paul cowley...golf course architect/asgca

Greg Tallman

« Reply #26 on: January 17, 2013, 02:31:26 PM »
Hey Jim - I'd chime in but I have yet to see it. Too busy working when its been played!

Actually I am on site right now, and have been for the past few months....project managing the new Tiger Woods course 'El Cardonal' and building 2 new ocean side holes on our Dunes course ( when we originally built the course we were not able to build forward of the primary dune, but that has changed so we will retire the old #12 and 13 into a practice loop in favor of the two new and improved holes).

I will chime in about the new TW Design course (which is almost half shaped). Both enjoy some similar terrain (dunes) and different (Woods has more elevated desert, arroyos and long ocean views). Both also have different styles and strategies that compliment each other and will be a great expansion of the Resorts amenities.

Greg's wrong about the land to the north...it's equal if not better (in the right hands of course) :)

Spoken like a man on the payroll  and who has an inkling of what may be coming. Of course it does come with fantatstic views of the CSL desal plant so it's got that going for it!  ;)
« Last Edit: January 17, 2013, 08:01:11 PM by Greg Tallman »

Chris Munoz

« Reply #27 on: January 17, 2013, 03:03:42 PM »
saw some of the coverage yesterday on golf channel.  what happened to some of the greens.  looked like they had to repair some damage on the greens.  big patch work done on a couple of the greens. 

Overall all, course looked great. 
Christian C. Munoz
Assistant Superintendent Corales
PUNTACANA Resort & Club
www.puntacana.com

Greg Tallman

« Reply #28 on: January 17, 2013, 04:30:28 PM »
saw some of the coverage yesterday on golf channel.  what happened to some of the greens.  looked like they had to repair some damage on the greens.  big patch work done on a couple of the greens. 

Overall all, course looked great. 

Had a late summer issue with some form of grub (or something similar). From all accounts everything is back to normal (excellent) which is no surprise with Billy O looking after it.

Brad Tufts

« Reply #29 on: January 22, 2013, 12:04:04 PM »
After having seen it now, I wouldn't think more resort and beach club adjacent to the front nine would be a huge deal at Diamante, and even houses/development north of 15/16/17.  The dunscape experience is inward-looking on the front nine. 

What gets me from the plan is developing part of the huge upslope of sand that starts at 17 and goes way up the hill.  I think that is one of the most unique golf course views I have ever seen. 

It looks like the masterplan posted above leaves a gap for the two new holes on the oceanside of #11, but homesites and villas, etc. between there and #17.  While still a great course after full build-out, that would certainly change the very unique esthetic of that part of the property.  The back nine dunescape experience to me is outward-looking, and that will change bigtime after the build-out southeast of #17.

Is that an access road crossing #14 at the bottom of the gully?
So I jump ship in Hong Kong....

Greg Tallman

« Reply #30 on: January 22, 2013, 12:39:24 PM »
After having seen it now, I wouldn't think more resort and beach club adjacent to the front nine would be a huge deal at Diamante, and even houses/development north of 15/16/17.  The dunscape experience is inward-looking on the front nine. 

What gets me from the plan is developing part of the huge upslope of sand that starts at 17 and goes way up the hill.  I think that is one of the most unique golf course views I have ever seen. 

It looks like the masterplan posted above leaves a gap for the two new holes on the oceanside of #11, but homesites and villas, etc. between there and #17.  While still a great course after full build-out, that would certainly change the very unique esthetic of that part of the property.  The back nine dunescape experience to me is outward-looking, and that will change bigtime after the build-out southeast of #17.

Is that an access road crossing #14 at the bottom of the gully?

The master plan SHOWS the two new holes. Any development beyond the product along the 15th hole is probably pretty speculative at this point and in a perfect world they would probably prefer a luxury hotel brand somewhere on/near the water. I would venture a guess that the access you mention cutting through the 114th hole is a msitake and any access trying to connect that parcel in a more direct manner to the clubhouse area woudl be nothing more than a cart trail that could be routed through the dune between the 14th and 17th greens... not ideal but far more logical and something that with proper planning could be pretty cool.

JC Urbina

« Reply #31 on: January 22, 2013, 01:09:41 PM »
Paul,

I was curious why the two new holes were being constructed now?  But after reading your explanation it made sense on how the process evolved.  Did the origianl routing include the new holes or were they discovered after the fact?

I wanted to watch the broadcast to see the golf course and hoped it would be shown in its entirety but quickly realized only a few holes were going to be featured.  The announcer said that Davis was actually on a tractor working on the greens.  Is Davis like Bill Coore who does a lot of the green contours himself or do you do most of the feature work?

Looks like a special place, hopefully I can make my way down there some day.  The property going north looks as compelling

Brad Tufts

« Reply #32 on: January 22, 2013, 02:12:43 PM »
The master plan SHOWS the two new holes. Any development beyond the product along the 15th hole is probably pretty speculative at this point and in a perfect world they would probably prefer a luxury hotel brand somewhere on/near the water. I would venture a guess that the access you mention cutting through the 114th hole is a msitake and any access trying to connect that parcel in a more direct manner to the clubhouse area woudl be nothing more than a cart trail that could be routed through the dune between the 14th and 17th greens... not ideal but far more logical and something that with proper planning could be pretty cool.

Crap didn't even realize that.  Despite the speculative nature of the development in that area, my mental image of the two new holes having an otherworldly sandy landscape surrounding them would potentially be far from accurate.
So I jump ship in Hong Kong....

Jason Topp

« Reply #33 on: January 22, 2013, 02:39:50 PM »
There is something to be said aboult playing golf in an amazing location.  The only locations I can think that match it are Sand Hills and Wolf Creek.  Sand Hills is my favorite course and Wolf Creek is one of my least favorite. 

I loved the course.  The only nits I can identify arre the current 12 and 13.  They are close to being Florida holes and would definitely be good candidates for replacement.  I also am not sure about the 9th and 18th.  They could be great or they could stink.  My current impression is that the 9th is fantastic and the 18th a bit random on the approach shot but experience with the course would be necessary to be sure.

Greg Tallman

« Reply #34 on: January 22, 2013, 02:58:05 PM »
There is something to be said aboult playing golf in an amazing location.  The only locations I can think that match it are Sand Hills and Wolf Creek.  Sand Hills is my favorite course and Wolf Creek is one of my least favorite. 

I loved the course.  The only nits I can identify arre the current 12 and 13.  They are close to being Florida holes and would definitely be good candidates for replacement.  I also am not sure about the 9th and 18th.  They could be great or they could stink.  My current impression is that the 9th is fantastic and the 18th a bit random on the approach shot but experience with the course would be necessary to be sure.

Not attacking you Jason but the comments of #12 and #13 in general... Coore builds similar holes at Streamsong and the are defended to the death on this site... Paul does them at Diamante and they are poo-pooed by one and nearly all.

I don't dislike them nearly as much as the average guy on this site. That said I think the left side of 12 could have gotten less turf and more "dunish" treatment in the mounded areas that would have "sold it" more than the current look. They will make fine holes for a small loop once a couple of other par 3s are added to the mix... the afternoon whiskey loop perhaps.

Michael Wharton-Palmer

« Reply #35 on: January 22, 2013, 03:11:01 PM »
I hate it when I have to agree with Greg ;) re number 12
I think the current 13 is a  good hole, great  visual on theshot into a challenging green, but the option of Paul going to the Ocean side is simply a no brainer, the land over there is simply magical.
Following that super par three 11th heading oceanway will be quite a thrill.
Paul any ideas when those two holes will be in play?
Having walked all over the Tiger site last month, I can see some potentially very exciting holes, agian I look forward to returning and seeing the progress.

Greg Tallman

« Reply #36 on: January 22, 2013, 03:17:24 PM »
I hate it when I have to agree with Greg ;) re number 12
I think the current 13 is a  good hole, great  visual on theshot into a challenging green, but the option of Paul going to the Ocean side is simply a no brainer, the land over there is simply magical.
Following that super par three 11th heading oceanway will be quite a thrill.
Paul any ideas when those two holes will be in play?
Having walked all over the Tiger site last month, I can see some potentially very exciting holes, agian I look forward to returning and seeing the progress.

Hmmmmm, MAYBE. Considering you will be creating the most exposed shot into the previaling wind on a course that does not exactly need ANOTHER into the teeth of the wind slog... color me conflicted and more skeptical that the average observer.

Ruediger Meyer

« Reply #37 on: December 11, 2013, 05:27:14 PM »
Tiger was on location to take a look at the course and the club posted it on his facebook page (h/t to Geoff Shackelford). This is probably the most interesting picture of the bunch. It's showing the third hole and the bunkering looks very interesting

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back