News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Greg Holland

Old Town Restoration
« on: December 27, 2012, 08:52:28 AM »
I saw Dunlop White recently at a holiday party, and heard the good news that Coore & Crenshaw are restoring Old Town in Winston-Salem.  It is now public, at least I have seen a newspaper article.  It will be completed by August.  Within the last few years, Sedgefield, the Cardinal, Forsyth CC and GCC's the Farm were redone and well accepted.  More recently, with No. 2, Mid Pines and Old Town getting restorations, it is an exciting time in the Piedmont Triad.

Hopefully Dunlop can provide more details on the Old Town project.  There is a video with the article in the Winston-Salem paper as well.

Lynn_Shackelford

Re: Old Town Restoration
« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2012, 09:19:25 AM »
Here is the link for the story.  This would never have happened without Dunlop White's persistence.  A big plus for golf in Winston Salem.

http://www.journalnow.com/sports/golf/article_751ef212-4e12-11e2-bd41-0019bb30f31a.html
It must be kept in mind that the elusive charm of the game suffers as soon as any successful method of standardization is allowed to creep in.  A golf course should never pretend to be, nor is intended to be, an infallible tribunal.
               Tom Simpson

Tom Fagerli

« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2012, 09:34:18 AM »
I read this article the other day. Made it worth my subscription to the Journal! OTC has several members that are on board with the vision and it is largely spearheaded by Dunlop. OTC is outstanding in every way and this touch up will only make it better.

Dunlop_White

« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2012, 11:22:18 PM »
Thanks guys!  In short, this is primarily a bunker restoration.  It's our goal to return our bunkers to the approximate size, shape, depth, look and character of their original identity -- and tie them more seamlessly and intimately with their surrounding features.

There will also be a lot of detail work. The profile of some tees will be softened.  Other tees will be shifted modestly for better hole orientation.  Still other tees will be lengthened.  And there will be a handful of new forward tees.

The restoration will also feature the reconstruction of our double-green at hole 8 and 17.  The new double-green will closer resemble its source of inspiration at The Old Course -- home to 7 double greens. There will also be some green expansion work.

There will be some cart trail re-routing and removal and native bluestem/broom-sedge implementation, and of course tree removal.

Daryl "Turboe" Boe

« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2012, 01:22:20 AM »
Thanks guys!  In short, this is primarily a bunker restoration.  It's our goal to return our bunkers to the approximate size, shape, depth, look and character of their original identity -- and tie them more seamlessly and intimately with their surrounding features.

There will also be a lot of detail work. The profile of some tees will be softened.  Other tees will be shifted modestly for better hole orientation.  Still other tees will be lengthened.  And there will be a handful of new forward tees.

The restoration will also feature the reconstruction of our double-green at hole 8 and 17.  The new double-green will closer resemble its source of inspiration at The Old Course -- home to 7 double greens. There will also be some green expansion work.

There will be some cart trail re-routing and removal and native bluestem/broom-sedge implementation, and of course tree removal.

Dunlop, I hope you are doing well.

now I really wish I would have come back up to Old Town before they closed for the renovations.  I cant believe in looking back a few minutes ago that I have not been out there since 2004.  While I cant wait to see the finished product after the renovation, I would have loved to have it fresher in my mind (and in my photo book) in the before version.

Good luck with everything, and keep us posted.
Instagram: @thequestfor3000

"Time spent playing golf is not deducted from ones lifespan."

"We sleep safely in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm."

Jay Kirkpatrick

« Reply #5 on: August 20, 2013, 09:12:03 PM »

Daryl "Turboe" Boe

« Reply #6 on: August 20, 2013, 10:44:38 PM »
Wow that looks fantastic.  I hope to get back out there again.  It has been 9 years since I saw Old Town.  I loved it the first time and looking at those pictures I cant believe how much better the after shots look.

Instagram: @thequestfor3000

"Time spent playing golf is not deducted from ones lifespan."

"We sleep safely in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm."

Tommy Williamsen

« Reply #7 on: August 20, 2013, 10:58:30 PM »
I agree that the look is great improved.  Has the course changed as much as the look of the bunkering or is a cosmetic change?  I can't tell too much by the pictures.
Where there is no love, put love; there you will find love.
St. John of the Cross

"Deep within your soul-space is a magnificent cathedral where you are sweet beyond telling." Rumi

PCCraig

« Reply #8 on: August 21, 2013, 09:11:13 AM »
I saw this yesterday on Geoff Shackleford's website...the work done there looks fantastic. Congratulations to Dunlop and his fellow members! $1mln for a C&C tune-up seems like a steal in so many ways.
H.P.S.

George_Bahto

« Reply #9 on: August 22, 2013, 04:22:04 PM »
Dunlop, hi

Who did the work you are so marvelously reworking. If you don't want to post, use my e mail.      ggb313@aol.com

George
If a player insists on playing his maximum power on his tee-shot, it is not the architect's intention to allow him an overly wide target to hit to but rather should be allowed this privilege of maximum power except under conditions of exceptional skill.
   Wethered & Simpson

Andrew Buck

« Reply #10 on: August 22, 2013, 04:41:00 PM »
It's truly amazing how much more asthetically appealing the course is (and it didn't look bad in the before pictures).  

Wayne Wiggins, Jr.

« Reply #11 on: August 22, 2013, 05:36:53 PM »
Dunlop, hi

Who did the work you are so marvelously reworking. If you don't want to post, use my e mail.      ggb313@aol.com

George

George,

I'm sure someone more knowledgeable will chime in, and you may have hear already from Dunlop, but I think I read somewhere that it was Cupp whose work is being unraveled.

Dunlop_White

« Reply #12 on: August 27, 2013, 01:11:53 AM »
Has the course changed as much as the look of the bunkering or is it a cosmetic change?

Tommy -- While the aesthetics were a huge part, the 9-month restoration was really all-encompassing. (see summary below)

1. We restored the approximate size, shape and dimensions of Maxwell’s original bunkers, which much larger than our 2012 renditions.

2. We reinstated some of Maxwell’s common bunker formations:
        -- Scabs: "islands of turf", often called "scabs", were reinstated.
        -- Big and Little Bunker Sets: Maxwell’s bunker systems tended to feature one large bunkers with a smaller one tagging along.

3.  We revived the artistic character of Maxwell’s natural bunker style.
       -- Jagged Edges: we recaptured Maxwell’s rugged bunkers with jagged-laced edges, rumpled lips, and exposed dirt face variations.
       -- Native Plant Patina: we recaptured stalks of native bluestems, known as Broomsedge, which will once again envelope the edges.

4. We restored the original depths of our bunker floors. In coring out our bunkers, we identified their original depths by unearthing old sand layers and drainage tiles approximately two feet below the current bunker floors.

5.  We returned to local creek-bed sand from the nearest harvester -- the Yadkin River.

6.  We restored 68 bunkers in their original locations, and we added 9 bunkers in new locations.

7.  We restored the close relationship and proximity between our bunkers/greens.  An important element of the restoration was tying the bunkers and the greens back together seamlessly.

8.  The double green was 8,200 square feet in 2012. The restored version is 16,300 square feet. We wanted it to closer resemble its source of inspiration at The Old Course -- home to seven large double greens.

9.  We re-contoured hole 5 green which had lost it's Maxwell "rolls".

10. We expanded the size of the putting surface on nine (9) greens closer to their original foot prints.

11. We expanded the fairways from 35 acres to 52 acres to recapture the width revealed in the old aerial photos.

12. We repaved the cart trails (we re-routed some trails and removed others altogether)

13. We removed dozens of huge trees which had outgrown their welcome.

14. We re-constructed over 22 tee boxes by slightly adjusting their distance or their orientation to the fairway.

15. Native area work will commence in the fall.

« Last Edit: August 27, 2013, 01:14:33 AM by Dunlop_White »

BCrosby

« Reply #13 on: August 27, 2013, 07:36:43 AM »
Sounds terrific Dunlop. Congrats. I can't wait to see the changes in person.

Bob

Carl Johnson

« Reply #14 on: August 27, 2013, 07:55:00 AM »
I saw Dunlop White recently at a holiday party, and heard the good news that Coore & Crenshaw are restoring Old Town in Winston-Salem.  It is now public, == Greg, on first reading I thought you meant the course was now a "public course" - couldn't believe it.  Ha! == at least I have seen a newspaper article.  It will be completed by August.  Within the last few years, Sedgefield, the Cardinal, Forsyth CC and GCC's the Farm were redone and well accepted.  More recently, with No. 2, Mid Pines and Old Town getting restorations, it is an exciting time in the Piedmont Triad.

Hopefully Dunlop can provide more details on the Old Town project.  There is a video with the article in the Winston-Salem paper as well.

Dunlop_White

« Reply #15 on: August 27, 2013, 10:20:53 AM »
Before-and-after photos of the Coore & Crenshaw restoration at link below.

http://oldtownclub.clubsoftlinks.com/upload/BKgpgex-e0aw.pdf

See slideshow below to view the results of Old Town's 10 year Tree Management Program.

http://vimeo.com/47824277

Dunlop_White

« Reply #16 on: August 27, 2013, 02:52:46 PM »
Also linked below is a great article on Coore & Crenshaw and their restoration at Old Town -- drafted by former LINKS Magazine Senior Editor, Brad King, and published locally this spring in "Triad Golf" magazine.

http://grfx.cstv.com/photos/schools/wake/sports/m-golf/auto_pdf/2012-13/misc_non_event/triadarticle.pdf

This account provides an inside perspective of the thought-provoking detail, the collaborative nature, and the artistic visual bent needed to create these works-of-art that Perry Maxwell, Alistair MacKenzie or any of their predecessors would appreciate and be very proud of.

JMEvensky

« Reply #17 on: August 27, 2013, 03:10:08 PM »

See slideshow below to view the results of Old Town's 10 year Tree Management Program.

http://vimeo.com/47824277

Thanks for posting this.How was this sold to the membership and are they generally pleased with the result? I'm assuming OTC has some tree-huggers.

Kevin_Reilly

« Reply #18 on: August 27, 2013, 03:27:21 PM »
Dunlop, very interesting and impressive.  Congratulations.

In the tree management video, I couldn't get my arms around the changes in the two pictures of #6 at about 0:46-0:55.

Is the first the "before" and the second the "after"?  If so, the before looks brighter although it is hard for me to pinpoint the changes around the green.

Thanks.
"GOLF COURSES SHOULD BE ENJOYED RATHER THAN RATED" - Tom Watson

Pete Buczkowski

« Reply #19 on: August 28, 2013, 04:54:00 PM »
Congrats Dunlop!  Looks absolutely fantastic.

Tom Fagerli

« Reply #20 on: August 29, 2013, 07:12:56 AM »
The tree removal on the back nine is amazing-the view looking from around 11 green 12 tee makes you think you are in the middle of nowhere-my limited experienced evoked thoughts of looking over a savannah in Africa! It is so special out there. Mind you I loved OTC before. They just keep making it better and better.

Jason Topp

« Reply #21 on: August 29, 2013, 08:43:25 AM »
Dunlop:

I have found more and more average members to support tree removal over the last ten years.  Your work has been a driving force in that change.  Congratulations on this project and thank you for all of the terrific material you have added to this site over the years.

Dunlop_White

« Reply #22 on: August 29, 2013, 03:49:15 PM »
How was this sold to the membership and are they generally pleased with the result?

It worked for several reasons. 1. We did it as an "in house" program.  3. We did it slowly and methodically over a period of 10 years. 3. The results were outstanding. The width and the improved turf conditions and views tended to sell itself. It was all part of a long range plan to restore the open look and feel of the golf course at it's inception in 1939. And yes, most members seem to be happy with the transformation.

JMEvensky

« Reply #23 on: August 29, 2013, 04:03:45 PM »
How was this sold to the membership and are they generally pleased with the result?

It worked for several reasons. 1. We did it as an "in house" program.  3. We did it slowly and methodically over a period of 10 years. 3. The results were outstanding. The width and the improved turf conditions and views tended to sell itself. It was all part of a long range plan to restore the open look and feel of the golf course at it's inception in 1939. And yes, most members seem to be happy with the transformation.

Thanks.You'd like to think that,with so much information easily available,more memberships would understand the benefits.

Dunlop_White

« Reply #24 on: August 30, 2013, 03:52:47 PM »
The tree removal on the back nine is amazing-the view looking from around 11 green 12 tee makes you think you are in the middle of nowhere-my limited experienced evoked thoughts of looking over a savannah in Africa! It is so special out there. Mind you I loved OTC before. They just keep making it better and better.

Thanks Tom, please come visit us again this Fall.

Thought I would post a "before-and-after" of one of the panoramas you described above as "looking over the savannah in Africa". Actually, it's an original view that we recaptured across several fairways and a native area that you are describing, which became camouflaged by thousands of trees through the years.

« Last Edit: August 30, 2013, 04:30:48 PM by Dunlop_White »

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back