News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Robert Mercer Deruntz

Re: Shinnecock
« Reply #75 on: December 28, 2012, 05:34:19 PM »
To rank a tip top course among such elites is really foolish because they have there own form of greatness at the highest level.  I've been fortunate to play everything in the world top 20 except ANGC.  My ranking is way different, but aside from RCD, I would be comfortable with some of the others named as the top course.
My top 10
Sand Hills
Royal Melbourne (either composite or west--there's incredible architecture throughout)
Pine Valley
Shinnecock
CPC
Royal Dornoch
St. Andrews
Kingston Heath
Ballyneal
Pinehurst #2

Though the 16th at RCD has been vastly improoved,  two friends who each possessed the Shinny course record for 50+ years had this to say in unison on my first trip to play RCD years ago--"For the first 15 holes you will be wondering how this is not easily ranked the best course in the world, and then you will walk up to the 16th tee and say 'what happened?','what the hell is this?', and it ends with a brutal disappointment"  So I was expecting the poor finish, but even with the improvements to 16-18, the dropoff is too significant to warrent elite status.  For those who hate the 18th at CPC, it does have redemption in the fact that both the tee shot and approach are highly strategic.

Wade Schueneman

« Reply #76 on: December 28, 2012, 10:29:29 PM »
I have not played CPC, AN or PV, but having played SH and RCD I can say that I think that each does what it does at the highest level.  That is what is so great about the 1-10 system.  It recognizes that there are certain course that have so many exceptional qualities that they just have to be seen.  IMHO Shinnecock is SO good in so many ways that it is a MUST PLAY AT ALMOST ANY COST type of course.  It is a 10.

I know from time to time we do 10 round breakdowns.  I would be interested to hear how all of you who have been fortuante enough to play all 4 would divide 10 rounds among PV, CPC, SH, AN and RCD. 

Tiger_Bernhardt

« Reply #77 on: December 28, 2012, 10:48:40 PM »
It belongs in any discussion as to the best course in the world.

Gib_Papazian

« Reply #78 on: December 29, 2012, 12:54:10 AM »
I've not perused every inch of this thread, so apologies if this repeats a previous point:

Shinnecock - like Pinehurst - does not leave you quivering on the floor in a dreamlike state of sub-orbital oxygen deprivation like a round at the flashier top-tier tracks. Their intellectual depth does not lie naked on a feather bed begging to be noticed. You have to run the gauntlet a few times before they let you lift up their skirt.

It is interesting how quickly Shinnecock ran up the list after Raymond pinched the trophy in 1986. Hardly anybody paid attention to that little corner of Long Island before the US Open; in truth, the rising tide might have raised up awareness about NGLA next door.     

My impression has always been that Shinnecock Hills is the Muirfield of America. Why Muirfield - which has absolutely no weaknesses and presents almost the perfect examination of championship golf - is often forgotten in these discussions is an absolute mystery. Maybe the strategic arrangements have some differences, but their overall similarity in terms of flow and texture strikes me to conclude they are fraternal sisters separated by the Pond.

Wherever Shinnecock finally lands on the final tally, Muirfield cannot be more than one or two spots in either direction. 
« Last Edit: December 29, 2012, 12:58:48 AM by Gib Papazian »

Jeb Bearer

« Reply #79 on: December 29, 2012, 09:15:40 AM »

My impression has always been that Shinnecock Hills is the Muirfield of America. Why Muirfield - which has absolutely no weaknesses and presents almost the perfect examination of championship golf - is often forgotten in these discussions is an absolute mystery. Maybe the strategic arrangements have some differences, but their overall similarity in terms of flow and texture strikes me to conclude they are fraternal sisters separated by the Pond.

Wherever Shinnecock finally lands on the final tally, Muirfield cannot be more than one or two spots in either direction. 

I haven't seen Shinmecock yet, but I have played Muirfield. My impression was that, though it may be the perfect examination, there was very little there that was truly unique or inspiring. This may have been because of the subdued terrain, or more likely I just missed it all on my first play. I also felt that the haylined fairways could become brutally monotonous in a hurry if you weren't driving the ball well. So, even though Muirfield is undoubtedly a "greater" golf course, I think based on limited knowledge that I would rather play a course like Elie - shorter, quirkier, more weak holes but a truly inspiring setting - ona regular basis.

Jon Wiggett

« Reply #80 on: December 29, 2012, 12:20:34 PM »
Jeb has a point here.

Muirfield is a golf course that rewards exactly as deserves. If you are playing well then it is a blast to play but as you say, if any part of your game is not on then the rough can be brutal, the bunkers difficult and the greens a bit bigger than is comfortable. Whilst it is not spectacular if you are on your game there is no finer course. Having said that, you are correct in there are many other lesser courses that are better for day to day play though this could be said of many of the top courses. Carnoustie, ANGC or PV every day? No thanks.

Surely the relevant question as to the best course/club should not be what is the best course you have played but rather if you had to be a member of one course and only play that course which would it be. If I had to play one course every day for the rest of my life then I would chose Kilspindie yet it won't get near the world 500 list I suspect though for me it should be number 1.

Jon

Jeb Bearer

« Reply #81 on: December 29, 2012, 01:55:36 PM »
so going back to the original question, if you had  play one golf course for the rest of your life, would it be shinnecock? muirfield? pv, ngla or cpc? I haven't played too many really great courses, but St Andrews would have to be a candidate for me. It is one of the few courses you could never get tired of. No matter how many times you've played it, there will always be something else to discover. Do shinnecock et al offer this as well?

Mac Plumart

« Reply #82 on: December 29, 2012, 03:31:15 PM »
if you had  play one golf course for the rest of your life

Can I tweak this?  One club for the rest of my life?  If so, I'd pick a course with at least two courses and a great reciprocal program.   :)
Sportsman/Adventure loving golfer.

Gib_Papazian

Re: Shinnecock New
« Reply #83 on: December 29, 2012, 03:54:47 PM »
Now that time has sped up and my dotage is growing larger in the windshield - with a golf game long eroded past the point of restoration - which course I'd choose to play until they bring the wagon round is coming more clearly into view.

Shinnecock Hills would not even make page 11, nor would Muirfield, although I cannot understand why either would choose to inflict deep, tangled rough on their membership.

NGLA is an easy choice of course, but having played a few holes with Uncle Bob - and watching my father's zest for the game erode due to the arduous challenge of the Lake Course - there are several holes at NGLA that are a bit too much, even for aging lions. #3,4,11,16 and 18 would be a tough slog in the wind for spindly legs and meatless bones . . . .

Having often speculated and ruminated on how many years I have left to truly enjoy the great courses of the world, I'm going to flip a coin between North Berwick and Lahinch. Prestwick belongs in that category, but I cannot imagine the 78 year-old version of me successfully launching my pellet over the Himalayas. Klondike's wall can be skirted around and at least there is a sliver of light at The Dell to run the ball in between the dunes.

Odd that so few American courses have the necessary combination of quirk, charm and playability. We are a culture that worships youth, so I suppose it makes sense. I'll add Swinley Forest and Sunningdale Old to the list, but I'm not sure they allow pontifical Armenians into the sacred portals, so it might be best to stick to places with a higher tolerance for boozy rants.            

« Last Edit: December 29, 2012, 10:55:28 PM by Gib Papazian »

Patrick_Mucci

« Reply #84 on: December 29, 2012, 09:48:05 PM »
Shinnecock is a spectacular golf course, day in and day out.

One of the few in the world that can cater to the broad spectrum of members AND the greatest golfers in the world.

As much as I love the course, given the choice of having to play a golf course every day, I'd opt for NGLA.

I just think it's more fun.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back