News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Jason Topp

End of Days
« on: December 21, 2012, 10:48:46 AM »
While it seems like we all survived, one cannot be so sure.  We could be in the afterlife.  If that is the case it did not turn out well for me.  The first picture I saw today:

Cartball course maintained soft and squishy, housing takes all of the good land, containment mounding and to top it off, the cart paths are on top of the containment mounding requiring that one climb up and down a mountain to get on and off the green.

« Last Edit: December 21, 2012, 10:50:55 AM by Jason Topp »

Gib_Papazian

Re: End of Days
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2012, 11:24:06 AM »
Sadly, for me either. The clock has run out and I write this farewell from the blazing magma below.

Providence has thrown me into the pit of perdition for all my snarky comments, insults disguised as observations and complete intolerance for roughly 90% of the various demographics.

At the bottom of the well I have been issued a set of left-handed golf clubs (XS blades, 4 degrees upright) on a Nicklaus course and forced to the black tees with three beginners from Japan. Barbara Boxer is the cart girl, serving warm non-alcoholic beer - my balls have stripes on them.

It is hot, very hot, and I am wearing tight rain pants, a sticky polyester shirt and golf shoes with flaps. It turns out that David Fay was right, Rees Jones is God . . . . . and he is going to make me pay for eternity.    

« Last Edit: December 21, 2012, 11:25:42 AM by Gib Papazian »

Matthew Petersen

« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2012, 11:26:36 AM »
Jason, it looks familiar but I can't identify it. Given that there are saguaros in the picture, it's likely I've played it. This too does not speak well. So what course is it?

Gib_Papazian

« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2012, 11:29:01 AM »
My guess is Royal St. Nogales.

Jason Topp

« Reply #4 on: December 21, 2012, 11:29:06 AM »
Jason, it looks familiar but I can't identify it. Given that there are saguaros in the picture, it's likely I've played it. This too does not speak well. So what course is it?

Eagle Mountain near Scottsdale.  At least the bunker behind the green where it will never come into play helps!

Matthew Petersen

« Reply #5 on: December 21, 2012, 11:32:01 AM »

Eagle Mountain near Scottsdale.  At least the bunker behind the green where it will never come into play helps!

I thought it might be, but I haven't been there in ages.

My two clearest memories of that course are the cart paths on top of the mounds, demanding a steep walk up to the cart after every green, and that the only real contour in the greens was from mounds that intruded from the sides.

17th hole there isn't bad, though.

Peter Pallotta

« Reply #6 on: December 21, 2012, 11:36:01 AM »
Gib - I'm not certain, but I think you actually might be in Purgatory. Hey, you know - could've been better, could've been worse....

P

Gib_Papazian

« Reply #7 on: December 21, 2012, 11:41:29 AM »
Peter,

You're right, Babs Boxer could have been naked.

Peter Pallotta

« Reply #8 on: December 21, 2012, 11:43:35 AM »
Ha!

Good for you, Gib - you're more of a glass-half-full kind of guy than I thought.

Best
Peter

Jud_T

« Reply #9 on: December 21, 2012, 11:45:24 AM »
Gib,

You think that's bad, I'm the guy stuck in the foursome behind you for eternity after polishing off some ghost chili huevos rancheros for breakfast in the clubhouse with no water closet in sight till 18!
« Last Edit: December 21, 2012, 12:13:06 PM by Jud Tigerman »
Golf is a game. We play it. Somewhere along the way we took the fun out of it and charged a premium to be punished.- - Ron Sirak

Jason Topp

« Reply #10 on: December 21, 2012, 11:47:37 AM »
My guess is Royal St. Nogales.

I wish.  Then I would have made Purgatory.

Gib_Papazian

« Reply #11 on: December 21, 2012, 11:49:01 AM »
Jud,

You can borrow my rain pants, just make sure your golf shoes are brown.

Jason Topp

« Reply #12 on: December 21, 2012, 11:50:07 AM »
Gib,

You think that's bad, I'm the guy stuck in the foursome behind you for eternity after polishing off some ghost chili huevos rancheros for breakfast in the clubhouse with no water or water closet in sight till 18!

Towel?

Bill_McBride

« Reply #13 on: December 21, 2012, 11:53:43 AM »
Gib,

You think that's bad, I'm the guy stuck in the foursome behind you for eternity after polishing off some ghost chili huevos rancheros for breakfast in the clubhouse with no water or water closet in sight till 18!

LOL.  One time I took a teenage friend of my son to play in a father & son event when his dad couldn't make it.  I think he ate a big plate of those ghost chili huevos rancheros before I picked him up.  Along about the fourth hole he muttered something about not feeling too great and disappeared into the woods.  Five minutes later he catches up, looking relieved and a bit sheepish.  I raise an eyebrow and he just points down at his shoes.  No socks.

Mike Hendren

« Reply #14 on: December 21, 2012, 12:02:04 PM »
Gib, you think that's bad?  I woke up and opened the sports section of The Tennessean only to find we had re-hired Lane Kiffin as head football coach of the Volunteers.  Even worse, Ed Orgeron was coming with him and Tee Martin was staying at Southern Cal.  Pass the ice water.

Bogey
Two Corinthians walk into a bar ....

Tom Fagerli

« Reply #15 on: December 21, 2012, 12:15:33 PM »
Gib,

LOL.  One time I took a teenage friend of my son to play in a father & son event when his dad couldn't make it.  I think he ate a big plate of those ghost chili huevos rancheros before I picked him up.  Along about the fourth hole he muttered something about not feeling too great and disappeared into the woods.  Five minutes later he catches up, looking relieved and a bit sheepish.  I raise an eyebrow and he just points down at his shoes.  No socks.
I know your partner or someone just like him! Seldom finished a round with his socks.

Gib_Papazian

« Reply #16 on: December 21, 2012, 12:32:45 PM »
Bogey,

That is what you get for firing Phillip Fulmer.

David Davis

« Reply #17 on: December 21, 2012, 12:36:44 PM »
Jason,

If that's where you've ended up please trade me for a month or two. I'll take the light of day, sun and poor architecture all Dutch winter long in the beat of a heart.

Gib,

Your's even sounds far better. You'll get the hang of those blades and batting left handed before you can manage to stop the japanese gentlemen from running from shot to shot. Take off the pants and stay a while...
Sharing the greatest experiences in golf.

IG: @top100golftraveler
www.lockharttravelclub.com

Jason Topp

« Reply #18 on: December 21, 2012, 12:42:37 PM »
Jason,

If that's where you've ended up please trade me for a month or two. I'll take the light of day, sun and poor architecture all Dutch winter long in the beat of a heart.

David - you have a good point.  This is my actual view - in an office, scales of justice tipped against me, baseball stadium covered in snow and golf far away.  I need to get back to Eagle Mountain.

RJ_Daley

« Reply #19 on: December 21, 2012, 12:50:00 PM »
It was about 9Am today, as I was heaving shovel loads of wet, heavy snowy-icy-slush up onto the already 4ft high pile at the end of my drive-way (too wet to fit through the snow blower shoot), that I gazed in the heavens searching for the doomsday asteroid and wondering if I'll get the work done before it comes and ends all of this... (my family never understood my compulsion to get chores and things like shoveling and lawn mowing done rather than wait and procrastinate  ::) )

Now my aching back wishes the fire-chariot driven by Bolon Yoktee' (Mayan Diety of Judgement) would come yet this afternoon.  Maybe a nap will help?  While I dream, I'll harken in slumbered memory back to watching Gib play golf when we were at GCA.com gathering at Barona.  Yes, I'll reflect back on that pre-shot exorcism of the ball that Gib would conduct, and the blindingly fast 22 inch backswing before sending a ball farther and straighter than one could possibly conceive with such a quirky physical effort.  The horror! Come now Bolon Yoktee', I'm ready to go...
No actual golf rounds were ruined or delayed, nor golf rules broken, in the taking of any photographs that may be displayed by the above forum user.

Gib_Papazian

« Reply #20 on: December 21, 2012, 12:57:47 PM »
Dick,

You will be happy to know that my hands no longer quiver (damned thyroid drugs), so my horrific case of the "Sergio's" is long gone. However, the once rock solid flat-stick has developed a case of whiskey fingers - thus, it is necessary to calm the savage beast between my ears with a pre-round snifty or two of Anejo Tequila before setting off to battle my demons.

Such are the indignities of the aged and infirm.

« Last Edit: December 21, 2012, 01:04:47 PM by Gib Papazian »

Tim Leahy

« Reply #21 on: December 21, 2012, 02:36:07 PM »
C'mon Jason, it will feel like heaven soon enough when we are lounging by the pool after some great golf in Cabo for the Tequilla Cup.
I will be the one wearing the Notre Dame National Champioship T-shirt! 8)
I love golf, the fightin irish, and beautiful women depending on the season and availability.

Mike Hendren

« Reply #22 on: December 21, 2012, 03:50:54 PM »
Bogey,

That is what you get for firing Phillip Fulmer.

Yes, letting the Great Pumpkin go was a big mistake.

Bogey
Two Corinthians walk into a bar ....

Gib_Papazian

« Reply #23 on: December 21, 2012, 05:44:54 PM »
The game of coaching musical chairs at the time conspired to get us Lane Kiffin instead of who we ought to have hired the minute Pete bolted for the NFL: Steve Sarkisian. High class gentlemen, excellent coach, thoughtful, cerebral and not a loudmouth twat-nose. The combination of Sark and the erudite Pat Haden would have been an unstoppable combination. We could have made Ed Orgeron an offer he could not possibly refuse and my Trojans would have been blazing a path to glory.

Now, I cannot say that Kiff sucks because he's a fabulous coach on the offensive side of the ball. It is a mystery how his genius father could have presided over such a complete train wreck, but so are sometimes the whims of fate. I just object to our great university tacitly tolerating the antics of such an immature man-child. I cannot get past the Machiavellian odor that trails him wherever he goes.

We would be better off having an adult like Sark on the masthead and let Kiffin call the game from the booth - firmly under the behavioral scrutiny of Haden and the university president.

As for Notre Dame . . . . . I am not a true believer yet, but as much as it sickens me to admit it, better my least favorite school on the planet win the National Championship than the congenitally whoreish Nick Saban.         
« Last Edit: December 21, 2012, 05:50:31 PM by Gib Papazian »

Tiger_Bernhardt

« Reply #24 on: December 21, 2012, 05:51:17 PM »
I am still here!

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back