News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Jud_T

New Confidential Guide
« on: December 21, 2012, 07:58:06 AM »
Assuming it happens, what courses are you most looking forward to seeing rated or re-rated?  Here's my (revised) list:

Knollwood Club, Lake Forest, IL
Ravisloe CC, Homewood, IL
Spring Valley CC, Salem, WI
Tamarack CC, Greenwich, CT
Barona Creek, San Diego, CA
« Last Edit: January 08, 2013, 06:15:02 PM by Jud Tigerman »
Golf is a game. We play it. Somewhere along the way we took the fun out of it and charged a premium to be punished.- - Ron Sirak

Tom_Doak

Re: New Confidential Guide
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2012, 08:20:53 AM »
Jud:

To make this a productive exercise, I would appreciate it if everyone could list the 3-5 courses they would most like to see included in the book that weren't before, or the ones I most need to get back to.  There's no way I'm going to get to all of them, but it would help prioritize.

Of your own list, I've not yet been to Cabot Links or Trump International or Tamarack, but hope to include all of them in the book.  And where is the Spring Valley that you refer to?  [I'm assuming it's not the Vern Morcom course in Melbourne.]

And why do you want me to get back to Dismal River and Medinah #3?  Just wondering how difficult it will be for me to be honest about them when I'm working for the two clubs on courses next door?

Mark McKeever

« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2012, 08:25:59 AM »
Tom, here are my top picks of courses that you need to take another look at. 

Aronimink
Philadelphia Cricket Wissahickon
Country Club of Scranton

Mark
Best MGA showers - Bayonne

"Dude, he's a total d***"

Jud_T

« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2012, 08:28:34 AM »
Tom,

Spring Valley is the bunkerless Langford in Salem, WI.  Well worth a visit and about 6 paces over the Illinois/Wisconsin border.  Personally I find it more consistently interesting than any other public in the Chicago Metro area, although many here would disagree.  If you're going to Spring Valley you might as well also check out Keith Foster's work at Shepherd's Crook in Zion, IL which is about 10 minutes away. I was just playing devil's advocate with Medinah and Dismal given the political difficulties involved.  List revised...
« Last Edit: December 21, 2012, 08:56:36 AM by Jud Tigerman »
Golf is a game. We play it. Somewhere along the way we took the fun out of it and charged a premium to be punished.- - Ron Sirak

David Amarnek

« Reply #4 on: December 21, 2012, 08:37:07 AM »
Tom,
I live in St. Louis and am originally from Philly and have a selfish interest in you evaluating Westwood CC in St. Louis and re-visiting Gulph Mills GC.  We just had Tom Paul and Wayne Morrison check out Westwood and Tom had the opinion that at least one hole had the potential to be world class and loved the layout, especially our greens.  Wayne enjoyed Westwood even more than St. Louis CC!
If you were to return to Philly, I would also be very interested on your take on the changes at Merion East.  
Looking forward to the next edition!

Don_Mahaffey

« Reply #5 on: December 21, 2012, 08:41:41 AM »
Wolf Point*
Austin Golf Club
Whispering Pines

*I struggle a bit with the idea of WP being ranked or rated by anyone, especially based on one visit. But, if anyone can offer an honest analysis based on one visit, it is you. But I'm hoping you haven't seen the other two and a return visit to TX would be needed :)

Cory Lewis

« Reply #6 on: December 21, 2012, 08:42:28 AM »
I'd like to hear your opinion of the Strantz courses.  I don't have the book in front of me, but if you did comment on Tobacco Road I would like to see that updated as well as your thoughts on Tot Hill Farm, Bull's Bay, Monterey Peninsula(Shore), & True Blue.  I'd also like to see Hope Valley and The Meadow Club updated.
Instagram: @2000golfcourses
http://2000golfcourses.blogspot.com

Paul Jones

« Reply #7 on: December 21, 2012, 08:46:25 AM »
Chambers Bay
Streamsong Resort
Muirfield Village

Paul Jones
pauljones@live.com

Mark Pearce

« Reply #8 on: December 21, 2012, 08:51:10 AM »
Seaton Carew.
In June I will be riding the first three stages of this year's Tour de France route for charity.  630km (394 miles) in three days, with 7800m (25,600 feet) of climbing for the William Wates Memorial Trust (https://rideleloop.org/the-charity/) which supports underprivileged young people.

Bill Brightly

« Reply #9 on: December 21, 2012, 08:59:49 AM »
Friars Head
Weyhill (Saucon Valley)
Mountain Ridge (currently rated at 5)

Mike Schott

« Reply #10 on: December 21, 2012, 09:05:29 AM »
In Michigan:

Forest Dunes
Cedar River
Shephard's Hollow
Hawkshead

Did you rate the Gailes course at Lakewood Shores in Oscoda in the earlier version? I can't recall.

Josh Tarble

« Reply #11 on: December 21, 2012, 09:05:49 AM »
French Lick Dye
French Lick Ross

JR Potts

« Reply #12 on: December 21, 2012, 09:09:40 AM »

And why do you want me to get back to Dismal River and Medinah #3?  Just wondering how difficult it will be for me to be honest about them when I'm working for the two clubs on courses next door?

I have no interest in seeing you do either of these courses.  I don't see what good could come of it - either way.

I am curious to see Whistling Straits.

jeffwarne

« Reply #13 on: December 21, 2012, 09:15:33 AM »
Southampton
The Goat (properly "guided", and played-- not walked)
"Let's slow the damned greens down a bit, not take the character out of them." Tom Doak
"Take their focus off the grass and put it squarely on interesting golf." Don Mahaffey

Paul Carey

« Reply #14 on: December 21, 2012, 09:24:25 AM »
I'd like to hear your opinion of the Strantz courses.  I don't have the book in front of me, but if you did comment on Tobacco Road I would like to see that updated as well as your thoughts on Tot Hill Farm, Bull's Bay, Monterey Peninsula(Shore), & True Blue.  I'd also like to see Hope Valley and The Meadow Club updated.

I would like to get your opinion on courses that many consider to be "different".  I think your opinion of some Strantz courses would be really valuable.

Joe Bausch

« Reply #15 on: December 21, 2012, 09:32:44 AM »
(all near Philly)

Lebanon CC
Lederach
Tavistock
And if the 'timing' is right, Cobb's Creek
@jwbausch (for new photo albums)
The site for the Cobb's Creek project:  https://cobbscreek.org/
Nearly all Delaware Valley golf courses in photo albums: Bausch Collection

Josh Tarble

« Reply #16 on: December 21, 2012, 09:33:32 AM »
Tom,

I'd also like to see your opinion of some of your own courses, now that many have been open for a while...maybe in a separate section or something.  Although it may be like ranking your favorite child  ;D

Giles Payne

« Reply #17 on: December 21, 2012, 09:44:36 AM »
I'd love you to see Huntercombe

Matt MacIver

« Reply #18 on: December 21, 2012, 09:45:16 AM »
Courses I'd most interested in Tom's opinion:

Bandon complex
Kingsbarns
Black Mesa
Musgrove Mill

Others of Note:

Kinloch
Ocean Course; Cassique
Chechessee Creek; Dormie
Ballyneal
Quail Hollow; Charlotte CC;
Diamond Creek;
Cascade
Strantz - all of it

Matt Bosela

« Reply #19 on: December 21, 2012, 09:48:00 AM »
I'm not 100% sure but I didn't think you've seen these five in Canada.  All five can be argued as potential top 10 courses in the country, although I'm not as big a fan of the last course on the list as some others.

Banff Springs
Jasper Park
Cabot Links
Sagebrush
Tobiano

Scott Sander

« Reply #20 on: December 21, 2012, 09:49:50 AM »
Well.... since you asked....

Harrison Hills - since the Langford 9 already occupy a soft spot in your heart, I'd like to read your take on Liddy's holes and the current upkeep of the course.
Murphy Creek - There's value in affordable municipal golf, and CG isn't the only Denver-area course that makes the case.  I think #3 is truly an all-world hole and it's not just a fluke outlier; there are several better-than-good holes.  
Woodland (Carmel, In) CC - late-career Dye overhaul of Diddel's home course.  Gets very little notice, but I think it has more to recommend for the typical golfer than does Crooked Stick just down the road.  (And since you may want to look at the changes at Crooked Stick anyway... :) )

Mark Saltzman

« Reply #21 on: December 21, 2012, 09:50:40 AM »
I can't recall the ratings of these courses in the earlier CG, but I'd be curious to see if/how ratings change after well-received restorations.

Plainfield
Charlotte CC
Brookside (Canton)
LACC (North)
Pasatiempo
Monroe
Yale
Sleepy Hollow
Southampton
Kawartha
CC of Florida
Greenbrier Old White

and, a couple moderns:
The Bridge
The Patriot
Shooting Star
Prairie club (Dunes)
Friar's Head
« Last Edit: December 21, 2012, 09:55:58 AM by Mark Saltzman »

Jason Connor

« Reply #22 on: December 21, 2012, 09:53:41 AM »
Strantz courses (especially the publics).

Pasa renovation.

And thanks Tom.  I don't own a copy so I'm grateful for an update and a reprinting.

We discovered that in good company there is no such thing as a bad golf course.  - James Dodson

K. Krahenbuhl

« Reply #23 on: December 21, 2012, 09:56:47 AM »
Cal Club
Diamante
Friar's head
Nanea
« Last Edit: December 21, 2012, 09:58:57 AM by Kyle Krahenbuhl »

Connor Dougherty

« Reply #24 on: December 21, 2012, 09:57:21 AM »
Courses I'd like to/looking forward to seeing you update:
Claremont CC
Pinehurst #2

New Courses to be reviewed if you get the chance:
Torresdale Frankford in Philly (my dad was a caddy there when he was in high school)
Huntercombe

I'd also like to see your opinion of some of your own courses, now that many have been open for a while...maybe in a separate section or something.  Although it may be like ranking your favorite child  ;D

+1...especially for some of your lesser known tracks (i.e. St Andrews Beach, Rock Creek, The Sheep Ranch, etc.)
"The website is just one great post away from changing the world of golf architecture.  Make it." --Bart Bradley

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back