News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Brian_Sleeman

Re: Crystal Downs Country Club: A pictorial!!!
« Reply #50 on: December 22, 2012, 05:07:42 PM »
I won't get too into it, but my first impression on playing the course was similar to most of those posted here; the front nine blew me away, and while the back nine was tougher and wore me out, it just didn't seem to match the quality of what I'd experienced on the front.

Having been fortunate to play the course many times over since, I can vouch for the quality of that back nine.  I can get into specifics, but in simpler terms, I'd compare the front nine to a masterpiece of music that is identifiable as such right from the first listen, while the back nine is more of a grower that over time you learn to appreciate as a masterpiece of its own.

Front Nine: The Beatles - Revolver

Back Nine: The Rolling Stones - Sticky Fingers

Both are unquestionably great, but while Revolver has more instant "hits" you know you'll never forget, you later on end up finding yourself itching for "Sway" or "Moonlight Mile" off Sticky Fingers. 

john_stiles

« Reply #51 on: December 24, 2012, 02:23:18 PM »

The only remotely pedestrian shots on the entire course are the 1st and 2nd at the 16th, the long par 5,  in my opinion.

Maybe the drive at the 2nd is ordinary.  Everything else, drives, approaches, chips, and putts are not. On the entire course !

The greens on the back are every bit as good as the front.  They each also have one impossible green, the 8th and the 11th.

But to someone's point,  maybe Brian Sleeman,  the front is a prettier girl than the back.  Much like at Kingsley.

Oh but to play the Downs  !   Thank you for the photos.  It looks pretty in the setting  sun, and clouds.

Tom_Doak

« Reply #52 on: December 24, 2012, 03:46:59 PM »
can't help but notice some similarities a couple of holes have to holes in the philly area.

#7 looks very similar to #12 at Paxon Hollow.  although the green contours look alot different.

#17 looks like #8 at Glen Mills.

If so, I'd like to see those two holes.

I have never seen another hole in golf (to date) that's much like #7 or #17 at the Downs.

D_Malley

« Reply #53 on: December 26, 2012, 10:57:14 AM »
Here is a link to some pictures of each of those holes from Joe B's collection. Just page forward once on the linked site to view about 5 pics of each hole. 

BTW, i have never played Crystal Downs, so I am basing this on the pictures of the holes only.  It looks like the green on #7CD is much different then #12 @PH.  And the tee shot on GM #8 looks to be much more blind then #17 @CD.

Paxon Hollow #12 (starts at pic # 67)
http://myphillygolf.com/uploads/bausch/PaxonHollow/pages/page_67.html?

Glen Mills #8 (starts at pic # 73)
http://myphillygolf.com/uploads/bausch/GlenMills/pages/page_73.html?

Bill_McBride

« Reply #54 on: December 26, 2012, 07:07:59 PM »
Here is a link to some pictures of each of those holes from Joe B's collection. Just page forward once on the linked site to view about 5 pics of each hole. 

BTW, i have never played Crystal Downs, so I am basing this on the pictures of the holes only.  It looks like the green on #7CD is much different then #12 @PH.  And the tee shot on GM #8 looks to be much more blind then #17 @CD.

Paxon Hollow #12 (starts at pic # 67)
http://myphillygolf.com/uploads/bausch/PaxonHollow/pages/page_67.html?

Glen Mills #8 (starts at pic # 73)
http://myphillygolf.com/uploads/bausch/GlenMills/pages/page_73.html?

The slope on the right is about all the similarity I can see, based on this photo and my one round at CD.  The green at CD sits much higher above the ridge, is much steeper, and appears to have more trouble around it.  There is also a really major fall off to the left at CD.   All in all 17 at Crystal Downs looks a lot harder!

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back