News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Sean_A

Re: Highlight of 2012
« Reply #25 on: December 10, 2012, 03:11:02 AM »
Yes, my highlite had to be seeing Whitty in the flesh at Formby back in September, not that it wasn't grand to play with the other Pests who loyally turned up.  I was also fortunate to meet fellow leper (ie cigar smoker), Chris Shaida.  He is a most generous chap and seemingly willing to move heaven and earth for a game of golf.

Other golf related highlites

Playing Lahinch in The Torda Cup
Playing Rye with Craig D
Playing Kington with the boys in the WORCS Businessmen's GS
Playing Sunny Old due to a gracious invite from a fellow GCAer.  

Ciao
« Last Edit: December 10, 2012, 03:30:11 AM by Sean Arble »
New plays planned for 2024: Nothing

Adam Clayman

« Reply #26 on: December 10, 2012, 08:28:18 AM »
Golfed more this year than any other, and didn't go anywhere.
« Last Edit: December 10, 2012, 02:12:09 PM by Adam Clayman »
"It's unbelievable how much you don't know about the game you've been playing your whole life." - Mickey Mantle

Brian Colbert

« Reply #27 on: December 10, 2012, 08:52:12 AM »
I will go in chronological order:

My first round at pine valley, played with my teammates and the many generous alumni of our team.

Not sure I would call this a highlight, but the completion of my college golf career. One of the more bittersweet moments of my life.

Playing one of the best stretches of golf of my entire life and winning my first major event, the Philadelphia amateur, squaring off against two teammates along the way, and going 41 holes to win the quarter finals and the semifinals in the same day.

Showing at my club to hit balls and try and play a few, when some weird dude who was a couple years older than me with a 13 year old merion bag comes up to me and introduces himself as a fellow Villanova alum and a guest at the club. He was a rater and needed someone to play with. I was stuck. I couldn't get out of this one. Great, I thought, can't wait to watch a 107. Over the course of the next 18 holes we came to realize how much we actually had in common and how much we loved the game of golf. It turned out to be Mark McKeever, who has subsequently become one of my best friends, someone who I can confide in about anything. He was the one who got me on here. We have played a few rounds of golf since then and I look forward to quite a few more.

Playing 18 at schuylkill with mark McKeever, Tom Paul, and some other knucklehead. I have had the good fortune to have several phone conversations with him since and I look forward to learning more from him.

Grinding out 36 holes across 2 rain delays to shoot a pair of 69s and qualify for the us amateur again.

Playing in the Philadelphia open at pine valley for my 2nd and 3rd rounds there. Truly the most special tournament I have ever played in.

Walking the fairways of cherry hills and commonground with Doug wright in the us amateur stroke play. I must say it is one of the most difficult jobs in the world to caddy for me when you factor in my usain bolt like walking pace, my constant need to keep talking, and my OCD-level requirements for where everything goes in my golf bag. I can't thank Doug enough for braving it with me. Although I do still blame him for the 4 putt double on the 13th hole which completely ruined my round!

Moving to Chicago to start my first job as an accountant. But not before my former club awarded me with an honorary membership enabling me to come back anytime.

It's been a good year.

Mark Pearce

« Reply #28 on: December 10, 2012, 09:00:54 AM »
Playing in the Captain's Invitational weekend at Royal Dornoch with Stan Dodd and also meeting and playing with David Tepper and Niall Carlton.  Taking in a foggy game at Golspie whilst up there, too.

Winning the Carstairs Cup (awarded to the lowest net score in the first two rounds of the club championship at Crail) by 11 shots.

BUDA at Silloth (despite the result) and meeting many new BUDAites (including the very generous Chris Shaida - that's a lovely bottle of Scotch).

Mike Whitaker's 40 yard chip in for birdie on the 15th (?) at New Zealand.  Never going anywhere else.
In June I will be riding the first three stages of this year's Tour de France route for charity.  630km (394 miles) in three days, with 7800m (25,600 feet) of climbing for the William Wates Memorial Trust (https://rideleloop.org/the-charity/) which supports underprivileged young people.

Chris Roselle

« Reply #29 on: December 10, 2012, 09:04:01 AM »
I will go in chronological order:

My first round at pine valley, played with my teammates and the many generous alumni of our team.

Not sure I would call this a highlight, but the completion of my college golf career. One of the more bittersweet moments of my life.

Playing one of the best stretches of golf of my entire life and winning my first major event, the Philadelphia amateur, squaring off against two teammates along the way, and going 41 holes to win the quarter finals and the semifinals in the same day.

Showing at my club to hit balls and try and play a few, when some weird dude who was a couple years older than me with a 13 year old merion bag comes up to me and introduces himself as a fellow Villanova alum and a guest at the club. He was a rater and needed someone to play with. I was stuck. I couldn't get out of this one. Great, I thought, can't wait to watch a 107. Over the course of the next 18 holes we came to realize how much we actually had in common and how much we loved the game of golf. It turned out to be Mark McKeever, who has subsequently become one of my best friends, someone who I can confide in about anything. He was the one who got me on here. We have played a few rounds of golf since then and I look forward to quite a few more.

Playing 18 at schuylkill with mark McKeever, Tom Paul, and some other knucklehead. I have had the good fortune to have several phone conversations with him since and I look forward to learning more from him.

Grinding out 36 holes across 2 rain delays to shoot a pair of 69s and qualify for the us amateur again.

Playing in the Philadelphia open at pine valley for my 2nd and 3rd rounds there. Truly the most special tournament I have ever played in.

Walking the fairways of cherry hills and commonground with Doug wright in the us amateur stroke play. I must say it is one of the most difficult jobs in the world to caddy for me when you factor in my usain bolt like walking pace, my constant need to keep talking, and my OCD-level requirements for where everything goes in my golf bag. I can't thank Doug enough for braving it with me. Although I do still blame him for the 4 putt double on the 13th hole which completely ruined my round!

Moving to Chicago to start my first job as an accountant. But not before my former club awarded me with an honorary membership enabling me to come back anytime.

It's been a good year.

Looks like we shared alot of the same highlights Brian.  Mine would have to be spending two days at Pine Valley Golf Club, playing my first round ever from the back tees under tournament conditions no less, and then working the Golf Association of Philadelphia Open Championship the next day.  To see 1,500 spectators walking around with smiles on their faces was something I will never forget.

Kevin_D

« Reply #30 on: December 10, 2012, 09:08:58 AM »
Mine would be playing Stonewall Old the Saturday after Thanksgiving, temperatures in the high 30s, with my brother and two good friends.  We were the ONLY people on the course all day, snow flurries in the air, shots of Jameson after 8 to warm us up.  It was surreal and we had an absolute blast.

Jim Sherma

« Reply #31 on: December 10, 2012, 09:26:22 AM »
After years of being a public course rat I finally joined a great club in the spring and had a wonderful year of golf on some great courses.

My single best highlight was having a wonderful round and meeting some GCA guys at Lancaster Country Club thanks to the generous invite by Rory Connaughton.

I'm looking forward to a great 2013!

David_Tepper

« Reply #32 on: December 10, 2012, 09:32:56 AM »
"Mike Whitaker's 40 yard chip in for birdie on the 15th (?) at New Zealand.  Never going anywhere else."

Mark P. -

I still remember Mike Whitaker's kick-in birdie on #14 (Foxy) at Royal Dornoch several years ago. The man is a living legend. ;)

DT

Chris Clouser

« Reply #33 on: December 10, 2012, 09:35:16 AM »
Golf highlight was easy.  Playing in the Midwest Mashie.  It was only my second time out this year.  But it was a blast.  Had a great time meeting some of the GCA universe.

Outside of golf, publishing a new book under my own imprint and of course being more involved in my family's lives.

Paul Jones

« Reply #34 on: December 10, 2012, 09:39:09 AM »
My golf trip to Australia in March - met new friends: M. Taylor, J. Cornish, M. Mollica and Rudoskis

My golf trip to Boston/Long Island/NJ in Sept

My final trip this Friday to South Texas.

Paul Jones
pauljones@live.com

Don Hyslop

« Reply #35 on: December 10, 2012, 09:42:21 AM »
Although not that far away in miles, ( 350 miles) my highlight of the year was a golfing trip with my son to Cape Breton, where we played Stanley Thompson's Highland Links on Day 1, then were upgraded to a beautiful cabin at a nearby resort. The following morning arising early  on a beautiful day, we travelled around the entire magnificent Cabot Trail. We arrived in Inverness in the early afternoon, teamed up with a visitor from Connecticut and played a wonderful 18 holes at Cabot Links. Heading home westward, we had great views of a beautiful sunset over the water. Golfing with one's son and meeting new friends is hard to beat not to mention playing two of the greatest courses in Canada.
Thompson golf holes were created to look as if they had always been there and were always meant to be there.

Don_Mahaffey

« Reply #36 on: December 10, 2012, 09:51:24 AM »
Picture of Wolf Point on the cover of GCA

Playing golf with Tom Doak and Ran at WP; watching TD chip in twice with a 5 iron, and Ran using the contours on the 14th green to bring the ball back within a foot of the hole.

5th major with my son at Dismal River

Receiving the message that I'll be traveling down under in early '13 to review two very cool projects. (hopefully the trip will make the highlights of '13)

Watching Brian Schneider and crew work their magic at Dismal River II  

Sam Morrow will be at WP next week and I'm predicting a highlight

« Last Edit: December 10, 2012, 10:23:58 AM by Don_Mahaffey »

John Nixon

« Reply #37 on: December 10, 2012, 10:09:20 AM »
My golf game calls for modesty, and likewise my highlights.

Played the Trophy Club for the first, second and third times, the first being on an uncannily warm day in early February.

The other highlight would be attending a PGA Tour event for the first time, the BMW at Crooked Stick.

Sean Leary

« Reply #38 on: December 10, 2012, 10:16:08 AM »
LACC North with Benham
Shinnecock with Simper

Southampton with O'Halloran

Michael Baldwin

« Reply #39 on: December 10, 2012, 10:43:59 AM »
Finally getting to see Lawsonia.  Played 54 holes in July, in the firmest, fastest conditions I've ever experienced, with a dear friend.  Standing on the 9th tee as the sun was getting low (we played the 9's in reverse on the last round) and thinking THIS is what it's all about.

Making a solid par on the last hole of the season (in December, in Chicago!)

Jason Topp

« Reply #40 on: December 10, 2012, 10:51:21 AM »
My goal at the start of the year was to play every month, something I had not done before.  Here is the best from each month:

January - May River with Joel Zuckerman
February - Casa de Campo and meeting the children our family sponsors there
March - Stanford with high school friend Tony Ralph.  I also had a great time playing the par 3 course at Lake Cabot
April - Waialae Country Club
May - North Oaks with Jeff Shelman and Pat Craig
June - Kawana
July - The Classic at Maddens with Ben Kodadek and his crew from Florida
August - Northwest Amateur at Spencer Country Club, Spencer, IA
September - Greyhawk (Talon) with work friends
October - Windsong Farm - hosting the Minnesota GCA crowd at my new club
November - Final round at Bunker Hills (Coon Rapids, MN) in perfect weather the day before Thanksgiving.
December - Got to play two rounds in December in Minnesota - a rarity!  Am visiting Fort Myers for a quick weekend next weekend in a trip that is now unnecessary to meet my goal but welcome in light of twelve inches of snow yesterday.

Sam Morrow

« Reply #41 on: December 10, 2012, 10:56:39 AM »
Picture of Wolf Point on the cover of GCA

Playing golf with Tom Doak and Ran at WP; watching TD chip in twice with a 5 iron, and Ran using the contours on the 14th green to bring the ball back within a foot of the hole.

5th major with my son at Dismal River

Receiving the message that I'll be traveling down under in early '13 to review two very cool projects. (hopefully the trip will make the highlights of '13)

Watching Brian Schneider and crew work their magic at Dismal River II  

Sam Morrow will be at WP next week and I'm predicting a highlight

The bar has been set high.

Mike Hendren

« Reply #42 on: December 10, 2012, 11:00:40 AM »
LACC North with Benham
Shinnecock with Simper

Just think - you once slummed with the likes of me.

Hopefully I remain 9th alternate for PD.

Bogey

Two Corinthians walk into a bar ....

Brad Tufts

« Reply #43 on: December 10, 2012, 11:02:51 AM »
Chronologically...

March...a 36-hole day at Forest Creek, and the earliest golf opening in Boston in decades (3/18)
April...a 36 hole day at Quail Crossing and Sultan's Run, starting at 1PM, South Bend CC with Brian Joines.
May...BECOMING A DAD!
June...A sunny round at Fisher's, and a 69 at Prout's Neck.
July...playing in the Mass. Am. at my home course, and taking my dad to RTJ, Caves Valley, Baltimore CC (thanks Jim!).
August...a well-timed visit to the venerable Rat & Trumpet.
Sept...acquiring new business territory in NV/AZ/NM...seeing Martis Camp, Casacata, WKP Saguaro, PK Ridge, and Black Mesa.
Oct...CC of Rochester, a great weekend with the Midd golf team, the Dixie Cup, an epic drive, and a great day at PVGC.
Nov...Thanksgiving week at Wailua, Poipu, and Kukui'ula

#1 golf-wise had to be a tie b/t Fisher's and Pine Valley.  Two incomparable places with different, incredible vibes, and great company all around.  As for overall #1s, can't argue with a hilarious little girl!
So I jump ship in Hong Kong....

Rich Goodale

« Reply #44 on: December 10, 2012, 03:08:23 PM »
After heeling my opening tee shot 20 yards left into the fescue and starting 7-7, finally finding my long lost golf swing on the 3rd tee at The Vole and Crumpet in mid-October.  From the depths of despair to hope for the future, all in one 20 minute series of golf shots, and all with great company on one of the most interesting courses in the world.
Life is good.

Any afterlife is unlikely and/or dodgy.

Jean-Paul Parodi

Greg Taylor

« Reply #45 on: December 10, 2012, 03:36:11 PM »
For me course wise it was either Cruden Bay, Royal Dornoch or Swinley (with GCA'ers!).

However golf wise, going to The Masters; never thought I'd ever see Augusta.

Going to struggle to top that next year...! Enter stage left: Bandon Dunes.

Alex Miller

« Reply #46 on: December 10, 2012, 04:06:05 PM »
Hitting a 4 iron into a gale onto the green at CPC's 15th. The weather was bad and I didn't play great, but that shot and the whole round are absolutely the highlight of the year, and my golf life to this point.

Playing the restored Pinehurst #2 was also amazing! I also had the opportunity to play some golf with GCAers and other golf architecture enthusiasts. I am so grateful to all the people I've met through this site and have thoroughly enjoyed golfing and chatting to each of them. They have been directly responsible for not only my golfing highlight of the year (and last year at the KP), but helping make this place such a wonderful resource for nuts like me (us?  ;D).

jvisser

« Reply #47 on: December 10, 2012, 04:06:33 PM »
A few things stand out:
- the main thing was to be able to play and practise the year nearly injury free
- playing many rounds at my new home course Noordwijk
- Europe winning the Ryder Cup
- an ace at Houtrak on my way to tied 3rd for the Dutch Mid Amateur
- champion with my team (2nd of Noordwijk) in the dutch inter-club competition group phase

(Making the list I realise I do have to play more courses I don't know yet next year)

Robert Chwalik

« Reply #48 on: December 10, 2012, 04:20:34 PM »
Looking back it was a pretty good year (from a golf perspective and overall). 2012 highlights included:

- A return trip to Bandon over memorial day including breaking 80 on PD, BT and OM (which is an accomplishment for me these days).  note that this is 3 of the 8 rounds played and there is no need to mention the other 5 scores...
- 2 rounds at Black Sheep and 2 rounds at Rich Harvest over the summer (Black Sheep a much better course IMO)
- My first round at Chechessee with some new friends (Just a fun golf course)

looking forward to 2013 and meeting a number of GCAers on this site and, hopefully, on the golf course

rtc

Sean Leary

« Reply #49 on: December 10, 2012, 04:37:54 PM »
LACC North with Benham
Shinnecock with Simper

Just think - you once slummed with the likes of me.

Hopefully I remain 9th alternate for PD.

Bogey

Someday you will actually say yes when I invite you....

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back