News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Powell Arms

Nicklaus and SNAG golf
« on: December 08, 2012, 08:39:56 AM »
http://on.wsj.com/TPLPsg

John Paul Neeport's article in today's Wall Street Journal describes Jack Nacklaus' efforts to grow the game through leagues based on SNAG. SNAG ("Starting New at Golf") has some interesting equipment to make learning the game easier and not require a golf course to play. Jack's idea is to form leagues for kids as young as 5 & 6. The article makes some interesting point a about how this format could compete with the omnipresent youth soccer.  

Seems like a nice idea to grow the game by providing a team environment and equipment that could make learning the swing fun.  Just curious to hear thoughts on how this could help grow golf participation. Seems to me a very low risk idea that just might be fun!
« Last Edit: December 08, 2012, 11:18:52 AM by Powell Arms »
PowellArms@gmail.com
@PWArms

Pete Garvey

Re: Nicklaus and SNAG golf
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2012, 11:26:27 AM »
The PGA of America is also on board with a team concept to grow the game for children 13 and under.  Check it out at  pgajrleaguegolf.com

"PGA Junior League Golf (PGA JLG) is designed to better socialize the game for boys and girls, ages 13 and under. PGA JLG features team vs. team competitions in structured leagues that provide a popular, less stressful scramble format as opposed to stroke-play competition. This is a great way to get kids involved in the game!"  (Copied from the web page)

I encourage all of you to ask your PGA golf professional about this great program.

Ivan Morris

« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2012, 12:50:20 PM »
In all my years in golf, SNAG is the best way yet that I've seen for kids to learn how to play the game while having fun. The week my grandson was born, I bought him a set of SNAG equipment. He's still too young to play with it but by Christmas 2013, hopefully, he will be able to take his first swing at a ball. Of course, the best way for him to learn is not with his granddad but in a team environment with kids of his own age. I'm always complaining that golf is too expensive. SNAG isn't! I'm always saying golf is very inaccessible and difficult for beginners but SNAG, it isn't. I'm always saying golf is too slow - SNAG isn't! It's easy to play 9-holes in under an hour. SNAG is the ideal game for some, precious family fun for all. Come to think of it - SNAG suits older people who have never played golf previously also. SNAG reduces golf to the absolute basics, making it as simple as possible. No involved instruction is required. The equipment is designed to make the golf swing intuitive.

Mark Johnson

« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2012, 05:17:50 PM »
let me add some unmitigated praise for SNAG.

My daughter started SNAG classes at my parents club when she just turned 3--  she loves golf now and even when the snag clubs are removed her swing is really coming along.

I love the idea of starting with oversized club heads and tennis balls to really drive hand-eye coordination.  plus the aerobic component of SNAG helps to develop short-twitch muscles.

If you have a youngster who wants to start golf, i would only look at SNAG

Ross Harmon

« Reply #4 on: December 09, 2012, 05:59:05 PM »
Very intriguing, might have to get this for my 2 year old.

@Mark - at what age did you move your daughter over to "real" clubs then?

Mark Johnson

« Reply #5 on: December 09, 2012, 06:19:34 PM »
Very intriguing, might have to get this for my 2 year old.

@Mark - at what age did you move your daughter over to "real" clubs then?

she is still technically in SNAG, but she has her own clubs as well (she is almost five).   Often she will go out with my at night when I take a cart and play 9.   I'll drop a ball at my drive and she will use her 7-iron or putter till she holes out.

A few times she will ask to use the tennis ball, but she usually hits a pink lady percept since daddy is hitting a real ball as well.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back