News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Joe Leenheer

2013 To-Do List
« on: December 06, 2012, 11:35:44 PM »
I am sure we have all began to make our 2013 lists (and are checking them twice).

What NEW places are you all planning on or hoping to visit in 2013?

My top 3 on the radar...

1. Merion (stars are hopefully aligning)
2. Mountain Lake (will be my first Raynor!)
3. Streamsong (booked...not sure which course though)

Never let the quality of your game determine the quality of your time spent playing it.

Matt Bosela

Re: 2013 To-Do List
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2012, 11:49:38 PM »
Scotland - I've never been overseas and my desire to make the trip next year (when I turn 40) is almost bordering on desperation.

If I'm able to make it work, I hope to be able to coordinate schedules with some GCA'ers who have shown interest in making the trip as well.

Joe_Tucholski

« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2012, 12:39:46 AM »
Like Matt an overseas trip is on my to-do list.  After graduation I'll have about 2 months to move cross country and then travel before residency starts.  All of our other trips overseas have not included golf.

Other things on the to-do list.
1. A round at #2
2. The overseas trip including St. Andrews and maybe an extended stay at one location and a membership.  The lifetime memberships look really attractive as I hope to have a large number of years ahead of me (turning 30 next year).
3. Military courses in SD and Barona Creek
4. Bandon

Ally Mcintosh

« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2012, 04:22:48 AM »
I'm travelling to Boston for 16 days next August so hope to finally get to play or walk some good courses on the East coast.

Other than that I'll be seeing West Sussex, Addington and Royal Ashdown Forest for the first time.

Two Swedish links in April probably

Other than that nothing new planned with regards to seeing golf courses.

Jim Colton

« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2012, 05:40:58 AM »
Matt B,

It seems like a number of us are turning 4-0 next year. It does seen like a bullet proof plan for spousal approval of a bad-ass golf trip. I am also toying with the idea of going to Scotland.

To do's:

- Win a tourrnament at Streamsong
- Beat Scott Szabo in something
- Dunk a basketball
- See George & Gil's work at Sleepy Hollow (please)
- Take Hundred Hole Hike to the next, next level (just yesterday, Rob Rigg had me googling 'Round the World ticket')

Should be an interesting year.

Kevin_D

« Reply #5 on: December 07, 2012, 06:45:53 AM »
I already have a round at Merion and a trip to Pinehurst to play #2 and Dormie in the works.  Hoping to also finagle a round at Friar's Head and/or one of the other Hamptons courses.

Also, I plan to be watching golf at Merion Saturday and Sunday of the US Open and NGLA for the Walker Cup!

Robert Chwalik

« Reply #6 on: December 07, 2012, 07:35:31 AM »
So... there is the 2013 wish list and then reality...

2013 wish list includes:
- return trip to Bandon
- a long island 'pilgrimage' to play and compare the greats (NGLA, shinne, Friars, Seb, etc)
- a trip to the sand hills

Reality (which isnt all bad)
- Streamsong ... already booked for late January
- Jockey Club in BA the day after new years (wife is Argentine so great reason to get down there)
- Cabot Links in June

Happy Holidays!

rtc

Cory Lewis

« Reply #7 on: December 07, 2012, 07:41:00 AM »
2013 will be quiet compared to the last few years.

1.  Bucket list trip to see a game at Fenway Park in April with golf around Boston for a few days

2.  2013 5th Major-This year we win it all!!!

3.  In conjunction with 5th Major, hoping to play some courses around Denver I haven't played yet, we shall see.

4.  Play a few courses in Ohio I haven't played yet.

5.  Win the caddy tournament at Dormie-missed it this year, will not miss next year!

6.  Attend the US Open at Merion-got tickets for Thursday.

« Last Edit: December 07, 2012, 10:09:21 AM by Cory Lewis »
Instagram: @2000golfcourses
http://2000golfcourses.blogspot.com

Brad Tufts

« Reply #8 on: December 07, 2012, 08:26:42 AM »
2013 will be quiet compared to the last few years.

5.  Win the caddy tournament at Dormie-missed it this year, will not miss next year!

There are more important things than grades....
So I jump ship in Hong Kong....

Dan Boerger

« Reply #9 on: December 07, 2012, 08:30:07 AM »
3 things I'm looking forward to ...

A trip to Scotland (played golf in Ireland and England, and I was scheduled to play TOC on 9/13/2001, but obviously never made the trip)

Volunteer at the US Open (our club is marshaling a hole)

Play more golf with my son (always a joy to walk 9 or 18 with the lad!)

"Man should practice moderation in all things, including moderation."  Mark Twain

John McCarthy

« Reply #10 on: December 07, 2012, 09:33:19 AM »
Things I'm looking forward to: 

1.  5th Major
2.  Weekly game.  I got married and we started in with the kids right away so it has been six years since I gave up the Sunday morning permanent tee time.  No more.  I joined a semi-private with a buddy and we are going to do a dawn patrol every tuesday. 

That is about it.  I already did an equipment upgrade so I'm set. 
The only way of really finding out a man's true character is to play golf with him. In no other walk of life does the cloven hoof so quickly display itself.
 PG Wodehouse

Jim Sherma

« Reply #11 on: December 07, 2012, 10:07:48 AM »
I'll be staying mostly local in 2013 (Central PA) and other than just trying to keep improving my game I have the following golf goals:

The two somewhat local courses I have not played and definitely will this year are CC of York and CC of Scranton

Host a GCA outing out here in Hershey

Keep trying to encourage my kids (turning 6 and 9 in the spring) to come out and play more with me

On the wish list would be getting down to the Philly area to play more of the courses down that way, I've lived within 80 miles of Philly my whole life and have played too few of the area's surfeit of great courses

Josh Tarble

« Reply #12 on: December 07, 2012, 10:14:39 AM »
I'm still finalizing some plans but here are the main ones:

1.  Streamsong in early February, both red and blue
2.  First club championship at my new club
3.  First member-guest at my new club
4.  Hopefully the 5th major
5.  Hopefully something else really cool that I don't even know about pops up

BHoover

« Reply #13 on: December 07, 2012, 10:18:52 AM »
Off the top of my head:

1. Camargo
2. Canterbury
3. The Country Club (Pepper Pike)
4. Attend at least one GCA event

Oh, and my wife and I have discussed trying to have a baby, so I should probably include that as well.   ;)

Ed Brzezowski

« Reply #14 on: December 07, 2012, 10:54:28 AM »
1  break 90 on the Rules test
2 finally get to play Carnasty, hope the weather is good that day.
3 hopefully get to work at Merion on Fathers Day.
4 play another round with Dr. Joe B
We have a pool and a pond, the pond would be good for you.

Michael Herrmann

« Reply #15 on: December 07, 2012, 11:27:57 AM »
1. Knocking off a very big “to-do” with an 8 day trip to Scotland in April/May of 2013.  Due to that, there isn’t much else on the wish list (i.e. what the wife will allow me to do.)

2.  One of the options for our local US Am qualifier is Camargo, and I’ve never taken advantage of that, despite typically being on the good side of the handicap limit to qualify.  I’d like to take the time for that 36 hole day this year.

Ronald Montesano

« Reply #16 on: December 07, 2012, 01:24:25 PM »
1. apprentice under Tom Fazio or Arthur Hills;

2. research the transcendent architectural philosophy of Thomas McCulloch Fairbairn;

3. apply for and receive the contract for the complete restoration of the Airport Driving Range, a golden-age practice ground located slightly west of the main runway at Buffalo-Niagara International Airport;
Coming in 2024
~Elmira Country Club
~Soaring Eagles
~Bonavista
~Indian Hills
~Maybe some more!!

Paul Gray

« Reply #17 on: December 07, 2012, 02:43:22 PM »
Concentrating on some simple but very worthy plans for a recession hit 2013:

1. Rejoin my home town club (Hayling) after a 17 year work/life related forced absence.

2. Play and fully appreciate some of the wonderful course I am blessed to live within 50 miles of. It's a source of embarrassment that I've yet to play so many of them. For the majority on this site that travel hundreds of miles to play this must seem truly perverse.

3. There must be some real hidden gems out there still, possibly of the 9 hole variety. Hunt a few down and let other decent folk know of their existence.
In the places where golf cuts through pretension and elitism, it thrives and will continue to thrive because the simple virtues of the game and its attendant culture are allowed to be most apparent. - Tim Gavrich

Scott Szabo

« Reply #18 on: December 07, 2012, 03:04:05 PM »
Matt B,

It seems like a number of us are turning 4-0 next year. It does seen like a bullet proof plan for spousal approval of a bad-ass golf trip. I am also toying with the idea of going to Scotland.

To do's:

- Dunk a basketball
- Take Hundred Hole Hike to the next, next level (just yesterday, Rob Rigg had me googling 'Round the World ticket')

Numbers 1, 4 and 5 are a distinct possibility......  
« Last Edit: December 07, 2012, 03:28:28 PM by Scott Szabo »
"So your man hit it into a fairway bunker, hit the wrong side of the green, and couldn't hit a hybrid off a sidehill lie to take advantage of his length? We apologize for testing him so thoroughly." - Tom Doak, 6/29/10

hhuffines

« Reply #19 on: December 07, 2012, 03:05:13 PM »
Get back to Deal...

Jud_T

« Reply #20 on: December 07, 2012, 03:09:13 PM »
Well my hit ratio wasn't too great for 2012, although I did manage to knock off Crystal Downs, Harrison Hills and Flossmoor, but here goes anyway:

1)  Streamsong

2)  Greywalls, Black Forest, Belvedere, Pilgrim's Run

3)  Evanston GC, Briarwood

4)  French Lick Ross,  Quail Crossing
Golf is a game. We play it. Somewhere along the way we took the fun out of it and charged a premium to be punished.- - Ron Sirak

Shane Wright

« Reply #21 on: December 07, 2012, 03:50:39 PM »
Matt B,

To do's:

- Dunk a basketball

Numbers 1, 4 and 5 are a distinct possibility......  

I've got money on #3 as well

Michael George

« Reply #22 on: December 07, 2012, 03:58:24 PM »
Here is the realistic plan:

March - Streamsong (use 1 get away day during family vacation)
May - Ballyhack (again 2 day - 1 night quick get away)
June - Winged Foot/Baltusrol - 8 couples going to NYC.  Guys play golf.  Girls shop.
September - Wisconsin - Milwaukee, Blue Mound, Erin Hills and Kohler courses

1 day trips:

Camargo
The Golf Club
Fox Chapel
Wanakah (Buffalo, NY) - good friend is the pro there and 1/2 way to meet up with Mark Saltz.
Franklin Hills (MI)

"First come my wife and children.  Next comes my profession--the law. Finally, and never as a life in itself, comes golf" - Bob Jones

Michael George

« Reply #23 on: December 07, 2012, 04:01:21 PM »
Off the top of my head:

1. Camargo
2. Canterbury
3. The Country Club (Pepper Pike)
4. Attend at least one GCA event

Oh, and my wife and I have discussed trying to have a baby, so I should probably include that as well.   ;)

Brian:

I plan on arranging Camargo for Mac and me when he is in Columbus.  I will let you know.

I can help with 3 (and others in Ohio if you need it).  I am sure there is someone on here that can help with 2  ;)
"First come my wife and children.  Next comes my profession--the law. Finally, and never as a life in itself, comes golf" - Bob Jones

Shane Wright

« Reply #24 on: December 07, 2012, 04:21:37 PM »
1. Christmas 2013 in Ireland and a couple of rounds with Sheehy
2. Hundred Hole Hike - I need to participate in 2013, missed out last year
3. Have not seen nearly enough Classic designs, plan to change this in 2013
4. Plan another memorable trip with my Gorsemen brothers - Cabot or Streamsong are the early semifinalists

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back