News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Ben Sims

Re: How to explain Golf Club Atlas...
« Reply #50 on: December 08, 2012, 08:47:26 PM »
Gib,

Your latest post reminds me of a facebook encounter I had today.  My brother's wife put some cute pictures of my twin nieces up with a nice caption.  Distance makes it so I don't see them much, so I was happy to see another one in a thousand cute pictures.  But honestly, I couldn't ignore the television screen behind them.  It was showing what appeared to be two 8-week old Siberian Husky pups getting their very first practice session with the Kama Sutra.  So what did I comment on?  it certainly wasn't my nieces.

Same with this website.  Each and every topic has been so thoroughly covered that I find it hard to be interested all the time in the same old stuff.  We all run the risk of Melvyn-ing ourselves should we continue to preach our beliefs about mowing lines, contour, and bunker placement.  There's only so much fodder for the canon (pun intended) here at GCA.com.  

That's why I tend to be just the opposite of you.  When I explain this website or play golf with the uninitiated, I get a bit emphatic about certain issues.  If I can manage to communicate without being a warthog-faced buffoon, it goes over well.  

When we played O-lake that day, it was my first foray into a ritzy classic club as a guest.  I was nervous, and felt the need to prove my worth to the cause.  So I laced up my black Nike's, drank the juice, and tried to sound eloquent in front of you and Neal.  But now that I've been around a few years here in the treehouse, I feel like I'd be less inclined to regurgitate the gospel should we play again soon.  
« Last Edit: December 08, 2012, 08:49:47 PM by Ben Sims »

Patrick_Mucci

« Reply #51 on: December 09, 2012, 09:11:58 AM »
Gib,

You're sorely missed, on this site and in person, my friend.

Ronald Montesano

« Reply #52 on: December 09, 2012, 10:45:28 AM »
"without the undesirable tertiary debris." The Papazian crush must be an interesting one.

Ben...that's an awfully frank and powerful admission. Experience reminds me of occasions when I felt I had to prove myself as well, albeit not necessarily in GCA. These days, I utilize the aphorism I pitch in class every day: when in doubt, humble yourself and ask "what can you do for me" or "what can I learn from you"? All innuendo related to the questions aside, it's hard to combat the humble.
Coming in 2024
~Elmira Country Club
~Soaring Eagles
~Bonavista
~Indian Hills
~Maybe some more!!

Doug Wright

« Reply #53 on: December 10, 2012, 12:51:19 PM »
When I tell my wife that I would like to go to The Thaw Out, Dixie Cup, 5th Major etc.  Her response is always "Oh, you want to go play with your internet friends"  Ouch.

I get that all the time Cory, with appropriate  ::)

I've had to try to explain several times this year how I came to caddy for Brian Colbert in the US Am. My answers vary from "He was just some guy looking for a loop" to a detailed explanation of a request that came through GolfClubAtlas, a website with a group of serious golf course architectiure aficionados that I've been associated with since 2000.
Twitter: @Deneuchre

Michael Taylor

« Reply #54 on: December 10, 2012, 02:56:53 PM »
It's pretty simple really. We all share two common passions. Golf and golf course design. While I have only met maybe 30-40 of you, I feel as though all 1500 of us are friends. :) I was hosted by some of you this year at your home courses which was a brilliant experience. All of you made me very welcome. I had a lot of fun with some of the people at Bill Brightly's club. "Ah I hosted him at my course 2-3 years ago." They'd be like "So how'd you meet in the first place." I would then tell them "The Internet!!"

Tim Martin

Do you have a 1 iron yet?  :D

Tim Martin

« Reply #55 on: December 10, 2012, 04:42:40 PM »
It's pretty simple really. We all share two common passions. Golf and golf course design. While I have only met maybe 30-40 of you, I feel as though all 1500 of us are friends. :) I was hosted by some of you this year at your home courses which was a brilliant experience. All of you made me very welcome. I had a lot of fun with some of the people at Bill Brightly's club. "Ah I hosted him at my course 2-3 years ago." They'd be like "So how'd you meet in the first place." I would then tell them "The Internet!!"

Tim Martin

Pup- I am resting on my laurels with the swing on 16 with you as my witness. 8)

Bill Brightly

« Reply #56 on: December 10, 2012, 04:59:19 PM »

Tim Martin

Pup,

Have you learned how to hit a driver off of a tee yet? :)

Michael Essig

« Reply #57 on: December 10, 2012, 05:06:33 PM »
I can still remember the FIRST EVER GCA outing back in '99 or '00 to the Pinehurst area.  My wife was like, "So let me get this straight.  you are fling down to North Carolina to play golf with guys you met over the internet, have never met in person, and are even sharing rooms with them?".  "Yes" of course was the reply...and the rest is history.

Imagine trying to explain it to a total stranger, like a Canandian border crossing agent!  Heading to King's Putter 2012 in Canada, my first GCA event, I explained my travel plans and purpose for entering Canada to the female border agent as, "I am meeting up with some guys I met on the internet and have never met any of them in person to play golf".  The look on her face - equal shock and disbelief - was unaffected by the anticipation, enthusiam and smile with which I delivered the words.  She just repeated them back to me, "So let me get this straight.  You are headed to play golf, with some people you don't personally know, and have never met, except over the internet?"  My answer back, having heard my own words spoken to me and having a moment to process how they sounded to another person, "Ahhhh, yeahhh . . ." (voice trailing off and the excitement diminished while I contemplated my impending arrest).

Thank god I wasn't traveling with my son.

Michael Taylor

« Reply #58 on: December 10, 2012, 05:18:34 PM »

Tim Martin

Pup,

Have you learned how to hit a driver off of a tee yet? :)

Bill

Nope and I have no plans to!  ;D

Ben Sims

« Reply #59 on: December 10, 2012, 05:35:08 PM »
"without the undesirable tertiary debris." The Papazian crush must be an interesting one.

Ben...that's an awfully frank and powerful admission. Experience reminds me of occasions when I felt I had to prove myself as well, albeit not necessarily in GCA. These days, I utilize the aphorism I pitch in class every day: when in doubt, humble yourself and ask "what can you do for me" or "what can I learn from you"? All innuendo related to the questions aside, it's hard to combat the humble.

Ron,

I think Gib and I played golf on a Wednesday.  I got married three days later.  That was the beginning of my education on toning down the type-A and striving to be humble.  It's very difficult to not try and prove worth.  All animals have the instinct of self-preservation.  So we make the mistake of trying to ensure our relevance.  My wife has done a hell of a job teaching me that I need to shut up. 

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back