News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Scott Warren

Imagine teeing off to this view
« on: December 03, 2012, 09:07:33 PM »
At Uluru (formerly Ayers Rock) in Australia's Northern Territory.

The course is moving through approvals as we speak.

I understand the shortlisted architects are Ogilvy Clayton and Thomson Perrett.

This course could be an immense tourism magnet for the NT, which is one of the most breathtaking, unspoilt places on earth.

Digital representation courtesy Jeff Blunden's Twitter feed: https://twitter.com/@jbasgolf
« Last Edit: December 03, 2012, 09:15:11 PM by Scott Warren »

J_ Crisham

Re: Imagine teeing off to this view
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2012, 09:24:09 PM »
Is this area difficult to get to? How far from the sandbelt courses? Does it require a flight from Melbourne/Sydney? How far to drive?

Jason Walker

« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2012, 09:28:30 PM »
Is this area difficult to get to? How far from the sandbelt courses? Does it require a flight from Melbourne/Sydney? How far to drive?

Not too bad of a drive...

Scott Warren

« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2012, 09:45:12 PM »
Jack,

Uluru is 2150km from Sydney and 1910km from Melbourne (roughly the same as New York to Houston).

You would fly in to Alice Springs and then drive the ~350km to Uluru.

Bill Brightly

« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2012, 09:48:24 PM »

Not too bad of a drive...

Suggested route
2,337 km, 26 hours
Stuart Hwy

Sven Nilsen

« Reply #5 on: December 03, 2012, 10:04:24 PM »
Bill Bryson has a very descriptive writeup of traveling to Uluru in "In a Sunburned Country."  It sounded very much like driving through Utah four times over.
"As much as we have learned about the history of golf architecture in the last ten plus years, I'm convinced we have only scratched the surface."  A GCA Poster

"There's the golf hole; play it any way you please." Donald Ross

Tim Gavrich

« Reply #6 on: December 03, 2012, 10:19:47 PM »
Isn't the summer heat in that part of the world so oppressive as to make golf--and growing grass--pretty completely untenable? Would the course be Open March through October, basically?

That said, it looks like an incredible setting. How big of a barrier around Uluru is required, knowing it's long-respected sacred Aboriginal ground?
Senior Writer, GolfPass

Scott Warren

« Reply #7 on: December 03, 2012, 10:27:40 PM »
Tim,

The site is about 10km (six miles) from the Rock, so while the course would have views of Uluru, Uluru wouldn't have views of the course.

The application is by a resort owned by the Aboriginal Lands Corp., so protection of the area - culturally and environmentally - is a prime consideration in all that has been done to this point.

As far as season, I haven't heard it would be limited. High summer means 37-38 degree Celsius average maximums (105 Fahrenheit), which is fine for golf. Sydney and Melbourne have their fair share of 35-40+ degree days through summer and it's fairly agreeable for golf. That said, autumn or spring might present more enjoyable conditions.

Tim Gavrich

« Reply #8 on: December 03, 2012, 10:33:36 PM »
Scott--

Fair enough; I think I may be exaggerating my recollection of Bill Bryson's description of the heat he experienced in the Outback.

Not that there aren't already enough reasons for a Yank like me to visit Australia sometime, this will be yet another!
Senior Writer, GolfPass

Connor Dougherty

« Reply #9 on: December 04, 2012, 02:34:58 AM »
Isn't the summer heat in that part of the world so oppressive as to make golf--and growing grass--pretty completely untenable? Would the course be Open March through October, basically?

That said, it looks like an incredible setting. How big of a barrier around Uluru is required, knowing it's long-respected sacred Aboriginal ground?

My recollection being there during the summer was that it was not too hot.

Uluru is an incredible place. It's obviously a pretty successful tourist stop, but I would imagine that those who travel down under for golf may be more inclined to make a stop there if the course is well designed.
"The website is just one great post away from changing the world of golf architecture.  Make it." --Bart Bradley

Mark Chaplin

« Reply #10 on: December 04, 2012, 03:42:43 AM »

Scott - I cannot imagine a course there increasing tourism at all. Accommodation is eye wateringly expensive and it's miles from anywhere, people travel in couples to see the rock. What would the WAGs do while someone played golf? Would Australian golfers travel there for a 2/3 days boys trip rather than the Gold Coast or Tasmania?
Cave Nil Vino

Rich Goodale

« Reply #11 on: December 04, 2012, 04:08:10 AM »
My first reaction is "Where's the friggin' Cart Sheila?  I haven't teed my ball up yet but I'm gasping for a Fosters!"
Life is good.

Any afterlife is unlikely and/or dodgy.

Jean-Paul Parodi

Scott Warren

« Reply #12 on: December 04, 2012, 04:13:22 AM »
Chappers,

Beauty spa? Swim? Sleep in? Also play golf as some women do?

It may attract additional visitors, but if it only leads to the same visitors staying longer, then that's also a win.

Rihc,

An Aussie wouldn't be caught dead drinking Fosters!

Adam Lawrence

« Reply #13 on: December 04, 2012, 04:36:09 AM »
When we visited Uluru in November 2009, the temperature that day was about 39-40C. I did the base walk (around the rock, about 10km iirc) and that was pretty hard work. They close the climb when temperatures get above 36C (though imo it should not be permitted at any time given the sensitivities of the indigenous people). It's a pretty dry heat, though, so I could see playing golf there for a fair proportion of the year.

There is a golf course at Alice Springs - I didn't see it but have heard it is quite interesting. But where they get water from, I have no idea!
Adam Lawrence

Editor, Golf Course Architecture
www.golfcoursearchitecture.net

Principal, Oxford Golf Consulting
www.oxfordgolfconsulting.com

Author, 'More Enduring Than Brass: a biography of Harry Colt' (forthcoming).

Short words are best, and the old words, when short, are the best of all.

Mark Chaplin

« Reply #14 on: December 04, 2012, 05:02:03 AM »
Adam IMVHO if the indigenous people were that concerned with their sensitivities they would close - their biggest pot of money - to tourists full stop. I've been to Uluru a couple of times and climbed it once and done the base walk the other time. I wouldn't dream of playing golf as I wouldn't take clubs or waste serious culture/sightseeing time.

Scott the question still stands, will the local golf tourist market go there to play??

Rihc - they only drink halves downunder  ;)
Cave Nil Vino

Adam Lawrence

« Reply #15 on: December 04, 2012, 05:07:56 AM »
As I understand the issue, it's not within the power of the local tribes to prohibit visitors climbing. They express their wish that you do not, which is as far as they can go under the terms by which the rock was handed back to indigenous control.

From Wikipedia:

The local Aṉangu do not climb Uluru because of its great spiritual significance. They request that visitors do not climb the rock, partly due to the path crossing a sacred traditional Dreamtime track, and also due to a sense of responsibility for the safety of visitors. The visitors guide says "the climb is not prohibited, but we prefer that, as a guest on Aṉangu land, you will choose to respect our law and culture by not climbing."[4]
On 11 December 1983, Prime Minister Bob Hawke promised to hand back the land title to the Aṉangu traditional owners and agreed to the community's 10-point plan which included forbidding the climbing of Uluru. However, the government set access to climb Uluru and a 99-year lease, instead of the previously agreed upon 50-year lease, as conditions before the title was officially given back to the Aṉangu.[22]
Adam Lawrence

Editor, Golf Course Architecture
www.golfcoursearchitecture.net

Principal, Oxford Golf Consulting
www.oxfordgolfconsulting.com

Author, 'More Enduring Than Brass: a biography of Harry Colt' (forthcoming).

Short words are best, and the old words, when short, are the best of all.

Colin Macqueen

« Reply #16 on: December 04, 2012, 05:22:43 AM »
Adam,

The water source out at Alice Springs /Uluru would seem to be the groundwater ....a bit too saline for drinking but used on the course at Alice Springs and it is a green oasis in the town.
http://www.lrm.nt.gov.au/__data/assets/pdf_file/0016/2455/CA_Factsheet_ASPWater_Resource.pdf

The  course is a mere 3,000km. from where I am in Brisbane and I think that you would be drawing a long bow if you thought that this would be a golfing destination for anyone from Queensland or the rest of Australia. I think the temperature alone belies just how hot it feels out there ...but mad dogs and Englishmen go out in the midday sun!

Scott, do you know who is under-writing the venture?

Cheers Colin

Cheers Colin
"Golf, thou art a gentle sprite, I owe thee much"
The Hielander

Scott Warren

« Reply #17 on: December 04, 2012, 05:37:49 AM »
Colin,

The Indigenous Lands Corporation, I believe.

David_Elvins

« Reply #18 on: December 04, 2012, 05:48:31 AM »
I have never been to Uluru but would definitely travel play to this course if it was designed by a good architect.
Ask not what GolfClubAtlas can do for you; ask what you can do for GolfClubAtlas.

Tony Ristola

« Reply #19 on: December 04, 2012, 06:34:57 AM »
Peter Thomson's Classic Golf Holes of Australia (1988) features a couple holes from Alice Springs GC. In it he draws a parallel with Palm Springs for its healthful benefits.

He also states "Restricted water has demanded a layout of island tees, island fairways and island greens. The hazard is the desert stretching for 1000 miles all around."

A few photos reveal a course that looks more like old school Arizona than the modern school of target golf, and another set that reveals sparse, rugged desert when one leaves the fairway.

Some nice views and topography though in these photos the holes seem to be kept in the valley's.

Rich Goodale

« Reply #20 on: December 04, 2012, 08:30:45 AM »
Adam IMVHO if the indigenous people were that concerned with their sensitivities they would close - their biggest pot of money - to tourists full stop. I've been to Uluru a couple of times and climbed it once and done the base walk the other time. I wouldn't dream of playing golf as I wouldn't take clubs or waste serious culture/sightseeing time.

Scott the question still stands, will the local golf tourist market go there to play??

Rihc - they only drink halves downunder  ;)

Been there, done that, Mark.  Amazing how the Ozzies and Ozzophiles rise to the bait..... 8) (sunshade emoticon added just in the thought of playing golf near Uluru (not been there, not done that, probably never will) :'()
Life is good.

Any afterlife is unlikely and/or dodgy.

Jean-Paul Parodi

J_ Crisham

« Reply #21 on: December 04, 2012, 09:58:46 AM »
Jack,

Uluru is 2150km from Sydney and 1910km from Melbourne (roughly the same as New York to Houston).

You would fly in to Alice Springs and then drive the ~350km to Uluru.
Good luck getting this to work- too far for the Yanks who are coming to the sandbelt for an excursion. Too far  for one track in the true middle of nowhere- even if the views are spectacular.

Jim Nelson

« Reply #22 on: December 04, 2012, 10:08:06 AM »
At Uluru (formerly Ayers Rock) in Australia's Northern Territory.

The course is moving through approvals as we speak.

I understand the shortlisted architects are Ogilvy Clayton and Thomson Perrett.

This course could be an immense tourism magnet for the NT, which is one of the most breathtaking, unspoilt places on earth.

Digital representation courtesy Jeff Blunden's Twitter feed: https://twitter.com/@jbasgolf

Great.  Let's take "one of the most breathtaking, unspoilt places on earth." and spoil it. Humans are classic.
I arise in the morning torn between a desire to improve the world and a desire to enjoy the world.  This makes it hard to plan the day.  E. B. White

Bill Brightly

« Reply #23 on: December 04, 2012, 10:21:24 AM »

Scott - I cannot imagine a course there increasing tourism at all. Accommodation is eye wateringly expensive and it's miles from anywhere, people travel in couples to see the rock. What would the WAGs do while someone played golf? Would Australian golfers travel there for a 2/3 days boys trip rather than the Gold Coast or Tasmania?

Mark,

Here are two alternative conversations that I might have with my wife when we plan our next trip to Australia:

(Without a great course at Uluru)
Wife: I really want to go see Uluru, it is an amzing place.
Me: Melbourne is an fantastic city, I really want to spend more time there and less time traveling. (Meaning I want to play more courses in the Sanbelt area.)

(With with a great course at Uluru)
Wife: I really want to go see Uluru, it is an amzing place.
Me: Sure, I guess we could spend a couple of days there honey, if that is someplace you really want to see.

Niall C

« Reply #24 on: December 04, 2012, 02:23:00 PM »
As I understand the issue, it's not within the power of the local tribes to prohibit visitors climbing. They express their wish that you do not, which is as far as they can go under the terms by which the rock was handed back to indigenous control.

Yep, some of the residents of Balmedie tried something similar with the same result  ;)

Niall

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back