News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Ben Lovett

New Member Introduction
« on: December 03, 2012, 02:20:24 AM »
Hi my name is Ben Lovett
I am currently the course manager at the Montgomerie Maxx Royal golf club in Belek Turkey. I grew up in the golf industry and have been a member of Ferndown and Trevose in the UK and Sotogrande in Spain. I started off working on construction projects in Ireland,England and Spain for Peter Mcevoy and Cabell Robinson before heading to Penn State where I studied Turfgrass. I interned at East Lake before heading to Troon North to work for Troon Golf.
Troon then sent me around the world sarting at the Grove in London before heading to Austrailia where I was fortunate to spend several years living with a member of Royal Melbourne. After a brief spell back in Spain I moved to Turkey in 2009 where I took over at the Montgomerie an EGD desiged course set on a pure sand ridge and plenty of pine trees.
I am a 16 handicap potential bandit if I had more time to play

Adam Lawrence

Re: New Member Introduction
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2012, 05:49:19 AM »
Does this signify the imminent invasion of the whole Lovett clan? Welcome Ben!
Adam Lawrence

Editor, Golf Course Architecture
www.golfcoursearchitecture.net

Principal, Oxford Golf Consulting
www.oxfordgolfconsulting.com

Author, 'More Enduring Than Brass: a biography of Harry Colt' (forthcoming).

Short words are best, and the old words, when short, are the best of all.

Ulrich Mayring

« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2012, 06:19:33 AM »
Welcome Ben! You sure are sitting in a nice spot, weather-wise. But what are you doing in July and August? Business probably slowish in Belek...

I have another question: how would you compare Sotogrande and Valderrama?

Kind regards,

Ulrich
Golf Course Exposé (300+ courses reviewed), Golf CV (how I keep track of 'em)

Ben Lovett

« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2012, 07:52:28 AM »
Adam, not yet I think Dad visits the site but has not been tempted to join as of yet.

Ulrich, Yes numbers drop off during the summer but with our bentgrass greens that is a blessing! To sum up Valderrama vs Sotogrande I would say Sotogrande is the more fun course to play. Valderram is a challenge and has that aura about it, yet some of the holes are almost getting unplayable with the tree growth. Sotogrande when I played in January after several years was a surprise, I forgot how much I enjoyed it! It is probably too short for the better golfers but when I played the greens were like lightning! I know they are planning a improvement project with Roger Rulewich but as of yet it has not started.

PCCraig

« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2012, 08:41:11 AM »
Welcome Ben!
H.P.S.

Ulrich Mayring

Re: New Member Introduction New
« Reply #5 on: December 03, 2012, 09:02:43 AM »
Ben,

thanks for the info. I'll be down there (Costa del Sol) in March and since Monte Mayor has closed, I was looking for another "once in a lifetime" option and Sotogrande came to my mind. I hear they do accept limited guest play and since I'm not a "better golfer", I might enjoy it, if I can get over the greenfee of 160 Euros :)

cheers,

Ulrich
« Last Edit: December 03, 2012, 09:06:20 AM by Ulrich Mayring »
Golf Course Exposé (300+ courses reviewed), Golf CV (how I keep track of 'em)

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back