News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

ward peyronnin

The Pushcart Battles : A small victory
« on: December 02, 2012, 11:13:21 PM »
May I tender my gratitude to all of you who provided material for the trolley thread of last year.

I mined it liberally for information and ,in combination with other sources, produced a multiple page  examination of the argument for allowing them at Victoria National. I was very pleased to hear from management that they have ordered12 units for limited use during heat induced cart bans.

It is a start and i gives me hope that as these old bones throw off more frequently and violently I will have this option on those days in the future. Sometimes extra effort does pay dividends despite the odds

Cheers
"Golf is happiness. It's intoxication w/o the hangover; stimulation w/o the pills. It's price is high yet its rewards are richer. Some say its a boys pastime but it builds men. It cleanses the mind/rejuvenates the body. It is these things and many more for those of us who truly love it." M.Norman

Mike Nuzzo

Re: The Pushcart Battles : A small victory
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2012, 11:19:47 PM »
Thank you for sharing the update Ward
Could you share the examination with us?
It may help others do the same.
Enjoy the extra walking option this summer.
Cheers
Thinking of Bob, Rihc, Bill, George, Neil, Dr. Childs, & Tiger.

ward peyronnin

« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2012, 12:59:24 PM »
How do I attach or inerst a file?
"Golf is happiness. It's intoxication w/o the hangover; stimulation w/o the pills. It's price is high yet its rewards are richer. Some say its a boys pastime but it builds men. It cleanses the mind/rejuvenates the body. It is these things and many more for those of us who truly love it." M.Norman

Wayne Wiggins, Jr.

« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2012, 01:51:13 PM »
ward -

that's great.  in fact, i thinik we've also won a similar battle at our club... rumor has it. 

WW

ward peyronnin

« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2012, 02:45:05 PM »
Wayne
I assume they would really be a plus in the bay area

PCCraig

« Reply #5 on: December 03, 2012, 03:04:31 PM »
Ward,

I'd also love to see your study if you don't mind posting it here or are willing to send it via e-mail.

Thanks.
H.P.S.

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #6 on: December 03, 2012, 03:09:40 PM »
Thank you Ward, a few in my "group" have often said they would prefer push carts during cart path only days.  It will be great to have the option.  Do you think we will be allowed to push them across the greens?

ward peyronnin

« Reply #7 on: December 03, 2012, 03:30:09 PM »
If someone can advise me how to insert the file of what I submitted I would be glad to post it here on site.

John: WTF?

ward peyronnin

« Reply #8 on: December 03, 2012, 03:50:22 PM »
Ok I have figured out how to upload to the intrenet and this link should take you to the annotated piece I delivered to the Victoria management. I aplogize that I was sloppy with attributes etc. but i did not consider this a scholarly debate more like a blizzrd of talking points in favor with some graphic examples for texture.

Hope it might be of use to others

https://docs.google.com/a/peyronnin.com/file/d/0B_PANGplzkugeThyeGxKNU03YXc/edit

Cheers
Big Ward

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #9 on: December 03, 2012, 03:55:39 PM »
Ward, please clarify your question. Many courses including Bandon allow pushing the cart across the greens.

Daryl David

« Reply #10 on: December 03, 2012, 04:25:35 PM »
Ward, please clarify your question. Many courses including Bandon allow pushing the cart across the greens.

In fact many courses in AUS require you to cross the green rather than skirt around the edges.

ward peyronnin

« Reply #11 on: December 03, 2012, 04:54:19 PM »
John I was not aware of that as a desirable course practice.

I did not go there with my appeal so I doubt that they have thought that throught yet but you are welcome to ask the pro.

Bill Brightly

« Reply #12 on: December 03, 2012, 05:05:53 PM »

Hope it might be of use to others

https://docs.google.com/a/peyronnin.com/file/d/0B_PANGplzkugeThyeGxKNU03YXc/edit

Cheers
Big Ward

Thanks for posting! As soon as I think I have the strength for another big battle, this is something that I would love to see at my club. The sad reality is that my club, and many others, want the revenue generated from riding carts (required before 3 pm if no caddies.) That is blood money, IMO, but a signifcant income line nonetheless...

PS  Nice touch getting the Winged Foot bag in the front of the photo! A picture is worth a thousand words, eh? I just did not see WF on the list :)

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #13 on: December 03, 2012, 05:16:18 PM »

I did not go there with my appeal so I doubt that they have thought that throught yet but you are welcome to ask the pro.

I am thrilled at the push cart option. I'll keep my mouth shut so I don't blow it. You get the rules straight and I will gladly follow.

Dave Givnish

« Reply #14 on: December 03, 2012, 05:32:20 PM »
Congrats, Ward and Wayne. We started with 5 at Desert Forest about 6 years ago.  We just got a new fleet - and we're up to 36.  They get used a lot.

I would say to non-walking Board members who steadfastly vote against push carts to hold onto cart fees is that you may be holding on to quarters and overlooking dollars. The quarters are the cart fees. The dollars are the initiation fees and dues from new walking members. While I was involved in membership recruitment, close to half of the new members were joining because they could walk.

Garland Bayley

« Reply #15 on: December 03, 2012, 06:40:09 PM »

Pushing carts across the green is appropriate if green surrounds are not conducive to parking the cart 10 yards away and walking directly onto the surface. At my club you can always park the cart nearby like this and walk easily onto the green so the rule is no push carts within 10 yards of the green.

Many times at Bandon that is not practical. The worst case I have seen is Monarch Dunes where they don't allow the push carts on the greens, but in some instances there is no convenient route to pass the green and park 10 yards or so from the green. Therefore, they have dirt fringes from people pushing the cart around the green on the fringe.
"I enjoy a course where the challenges are contained WITHIN it, and recovery is part of the game  not a course where the challenge is to stay ON it." Jeff Warne

Rick Shefchik

« Reply #16 on: December 03, 2012, 07:10:24 PM »
The wheels on the pushcarts -- or rikshas -- at Bandon are wider than those found on Sun Mountain Speed Karts or Clik-Traks, and I think they are wider than those on the two-wheeled carts that are available at a number of courses I've played.

You wouldn't want to push a standard three-wheeler across a green.
"Golf is 20 percent mechanics and technique. The other 80 percent is philosophy, humor, tragedy, romance, melodrama, companionship, camaraderie, cussedness and conversation." - Grantland Rice

Garland Bayley

« Reply #17 on: December 04, 2012, 07:25:12 AM »
The wheels on the pushcarts -- or rikshas -- at Bandon are wider than those found on Sun Mountain Speed Karts or Clik-Traks, ...

I think all the new Sun Mountain and Clicgears have wheels as wide or wider than the rikshas.
"I enjoy a course where the challenges are contained WITHIN it, and recovery is part of the game  not a course where the challenge is to stay ON it." Jeff Warne

Ken Moum

« Reply #18 on: December 04, 2012, 08:09:42 AM »
The wheels on the pushcarts -- or rikshas -- at Bandon are wider than those found on Sun Mountain Speed Karts or Clik-Traks, ...

I think all the new Sun Mountain and Clicgears have wheels as wide or wider than the rikshas.

We have Rikshas at my course, and you are correct, the new three wheelers have tires at least as wide as them.

More importantly, if cart traffic was spread over the whole green, even narrow cart tires would have less effect than having them all take the same path around the green. Even a fully loaded three wheeler weigh only about 40 pounds. We have 300-pound golfers.
Over time, the guy in the ideal position derives an advantage, and delivering him further  advantage is not worth making the rest of the players suffer at the expense of fun, variety, and ultimately cost -- Jeff Warne, 12-08-2010

Rich Goodale

« Reply #19 on: December 04, 2012, 08:33:57 AM »
Well done, Wardo

If you can now get Barney to push his cart around VN and renounce asphalt you will have hit a home run!
Life is good.

Any afterlife is unlikely and/or dodgy.

Jean-Paul Parodi

Jeff Shelman

« Reply #20 on: December 04, 2012, 11:01:58 AM »
I would be floored if a course with bent or bermuda greens allows push cart traffic over their greens.

If there's a quick way for a super to have their job placed in a tenuous position, it's to have greens go bad.

Because of that, I would think that supers will fight hard against push cart traffic on greens.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back