News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Tommy Williamsen

Gary Player CC Sun City, South Africa (photos)
« on: November 29, 2012, 12:55:19 PM »
I have been meaning to post something about Gary Player CC in Sun City, South Africa but never got around to do it.  Since, the course is hosting a tournament this week I thought I might post a few pictures with some commentary as I remember the course.  I played it in 2012 just prior to the Nedbank event.

Gary Player CC is not a course many will love.  It does not have the charm of say a Shoreacres.  It is a course like Medinah #3 or Baltusrol in that it is a long tournament tough course that lacks a lot of strategy for the club player.  I think it requires more thought for the world class player.

Sun City is not anything like Sun City in Phoenix.  This place is more like Las Vegas.
It has another course, Lost City GC.  It is a pretty forgettable course except for the Crocodile hole.
They used kikuyu grass all aaround so hitting off the fairway is a dream but hitting out of the rough is a nightmare.  In a few places I just dropped my ball back into the fairway.  Wedging out gets old and I wasn’t playing for score.  I just wanted to see how it plays into the greens.

The course is measured in meters so add 10% .

Number one is about 400 meters with a narrow fairway to a well bunkered green.  Evidently I don’t have a picture.

Number two is 515 meters.  There is a lake to the right of where the second shot would land and is a pretty good hole.

This picture is from where a tee shot would land.

The third shot

The third hole is 375 meters.  There is a bunker on the right side of the fairway in play off the tee.  It is better t be on the right side of the fairway for the second shot.

From the tee

Shot into the green

The fourth hole is pretty nice one shotter at 194 meters

Looking back toward the tee.

Five is a beast at 440 meters.  376 meters for humans.  Just a straight forward hole with the obligatory fairway bunker and two bunkers fronting the green.

Second shot

Six is 388 meters.

From the teee

Second shot from the left side of the fairway. 

The terrain around the green.

Seven is a well bunkered 200 meter par three wit an angled green from right to left. 

Eight is  424 meters.  It is pretty nice hole.  The tee shot is blind for players my size. It helps to be tall.  There is a creek that crosses the fairway.

Second shot just short of the creek.
The bunkers can be deep on the course.

Looking back from the green.

Nine is 520 meter with an island green.  A pretty neat hole actually.

Tee shot.

Shot into the green.  Actually this is back from where a third shot would be. 

This is the third shot.

The back nine begins with a nice par five of about 500 meters.

Tee shot.

Bunkers are indeed in play off the tee.

Shot into the green

Eleven is a 422 meter par four.

The tee shot is to an angled fairway and dares you to bite off as much as you dare.

Second shot.  Many of the shots into the green feel similar to others with bunkers left and right.  The greens, however, are different so the shots really aren’t a similar as it appears from the pictures.

I do like how the bunkers are presented.

Twelve is another 200ish par three.  The green really makes this hole.

Thirteen is a 393 meter par four.

The tee shot is demanding with bunkers left and right.

From the left fairway bunker.

Shot into the green.

There had a fire recently.

Fourteen is a long 550 meter.

Tee shot.

Second shot is tricky.  In essence there are cross bunkers that can catch a poor shot.

The green is an island green surrounded by sandy waste area.

You get to the hallway house a couple of times.

Routing is tricky. 

I really like the sand in the bunkers.  It looks very natural and fits into the surroundings.

Fifteen is a 430 yard par four.

Shot into the green.  Again it is very similar to other shots around the course.

Finally a par three that is a different length.  164 meters.
I think it is the best par three on the course.  It certainly is the most attractive.

Looking back from Sixteen green.

Trees are not really in play anywhere but are pretty cool looking, at least for this east coast boy.

Seventeen is a 430 meter par four with a large lake to the left.  It is a very nice hole.  The tee shot is pretty daunting but there is a lot of room to the right of the lake, but there is also a bunker should you bail out too much.

From the fairway looking toward the tee.

Second shot from the right side of the fairway.

Another look.

Eighteen is a strong finisher at 440 meters.

Tee shot is pretty benign but hitting the fairway is a must and there is a fairway bunker to the right .  To have a better second shot you should risk the lake to the left.  In person you can see both the lake and the bunker.

Second shot

I enjoyed my round but would not like a steady diet of the course.  I think it could get a little boring.
Sun City itself is a bustling La Vegas style resort town.  I was surprised that there were only two golf courses.

Outlandish is a good word to use.

A short distance is the Pilanesburg Game Preserve which is worth a full day. Found this guy who ran towards me.  I backed up as much as I could til I backed into a ditch.

« Last Edit: April 30, 2020, 11:55:23 AM by Tommy Williamsen »
Where there is no love, put love; there you will find love.
St. John of the Cross

"Deep within your soul-space is a magnificent cathedral where you are sweet beyond telling." Rumi

Peter Pallotta

Re: Gary Player CC Sun City, South Africa (photos)
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2012, 10:34:52 AM »
Thanks, Tommy - my first look at anything by GP, and I must say I like the looks of it.  The scale seems right (under that big blue expanse of South African sky) and it doesn't seem overly busy, and all the pieces seem to fit together well, including the under-stated bunkering. I'm glad you got a chance to play it -- where else could you get a fine golf coruse and elephants!!

Peter

Padraig Dooley

« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2012, 04:25:27 PM »
I played there quite a bit. It's always ranked very highly in South Africa. The difficulty and condition contribute mainly to the high ranking. There is a degree of sameness about a lot of the approach shots, not a colossal amount of strategy.

It's a great place to go if you want to hit the ball miles, high altitude and warm air = ball going a long way.

I felt there was a bit more variety in the Lost City course.

There are painters who transform the sun to a yellow spot, but there are others who with the help of their art and their intelligence, transform a yellow spot into the sun.
  - Pablo Picasso

Tommy Williamsen

« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2012, 09:57:00 PM »
Padraig, there is some sameness in the shots into the green and you're correct that there is not a lot of strategy.  I went away wishing that there was more.
St. John of the Cross

"Deep within your soul-space is a magnificent cathedral where you are sweet beyond telling." Rumi

Ulrich Mayring

« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2012, 03:15:57 PM »
Martin Kaymer won there today with -8. Looked like a pretty difficult course.

Ulrich
Golf Course Exposé (300+ courses reviewed), Golf CV (how I keep track of 'em)

Tommy Williamsen

« Reply #5 on: December 02, 2012, 07:46:22 PM »
The course is pretty difficult, especially for old guys like me who do not hit it as high as I used to.  It has a bunch of long par fours.  The greens aren't very difficult but it is hard to hit it close to the pins.
St. John of the Cross

Tommy Williamsen

« Reply #6 on: December 08, 2012, 12:28:06 PM »
Thanks, Tommy - my first look at anything by GP, and I must say I like the looks of it.  The scale seems right (under that big blue expanse of South African sky) and it doesn't seem overly busy, and all the pieces seem to fit together well, including the under-stated bunkering. I'm glad you got a chance to play it -- where else could you get a fine golf coruse and elephants!!

Peter

With the game preserve, golf, and the resort itself it makes for a nice few days. The elephant was a bonus.
St. John of the Cross

Tommy Williamsen

« Reply #7 on: April 30, 2020, 10:04:16 AM »
I found this and thought I'd bump it forward. I enjoyed the experience and Sun City is their Las Vegas.
St. John of the Cross

Tom_Doak

« Reply #8 on: April 30, 2020, 11:43:38 AM »
My memory of the course is that the greens were sort of clover-shaped around the guardian bunkers, but it was very hard to tell from the fairway where the edge of the green was . . . you would play a shot a bit to the left or right of the flag, and find out you had missed the green in the dense rough.  It was sometimes the same out of the greenside bunkers, because they're often deep enough you can't see the green surface.

Matt_Cohn

« Reply #9 on: April 30, 2020, 12:27:07 PM »
Like a lot of us I've seen this course on TV. I didn't appreciate how different 9, 17, and 18 were from the rest of the course!

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back