News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Craig Disher

Re:Why do we love the British Open ?
« Reply #25 on: July 13, 2003, 03:34:55 PM »
The Open should be loved because of this:

At Littlestone, a short (6600 yd) qualifying venue, considered "fair" because of the few blind shots and relatively generous fairways, only 10% of the players shot par or better on a gloriously beautiful summer day. The wind was reasonable by club standards (seems like the members always play in a howling gale while the qualifiers get to keep their hats on) but the rock-hard fairways and greens increased its effect. It's never the facing or following wind that causes confusion; it's the crossing wind - which Littlestone had on most of its holes today.

Pity Jeff Maggert. I followed him on a practice round Friday. Others who followed him yesterday agreed that his play was perfectly suited to a low score - nothing but fairways and greens. A one-foot error on #7 landed him in impossible rough and a failure by the large gallery to find a perfectly played drive on #10 cost him four strokes. He finished at 74 (+3), about 1/3 down the list. He can make it up tomorrow but he'll have to jump over at least 15 other players.

I'll check in tomorrow to let you know his fate. His even demeanor and friendliness to the gallery after his disappointing round won him many friends here.

Tommy_Naccarato

« Reply #26 on: July 13, 2003, 05:30:36 PM »
Craig,
When Are you coming home?

Bruceski

« Reply #27 on: July 13, 2003, 09:29:22 PM »
Because Tiger plays the course and hasn't a clue the first time around:

Read this

http://sports.espn.go.com/golf/abcsports/britishopen2003/story?id=1580150

David_Tepper

« Reply #28 on: July 14, 2003, 10:57:44 PM »
Because there will be TWELVE HOURS of golf on TV (TNT) both Thursday and Friday!!!!!

Patrick_Mucci

« Reply #29 on: July 15, 2003, 08:43:20 AM »
I believe that ESPN starts coverage thursday at 7:00 am.

ForkaB

« Reply #30 on: July 15, 2003, 11:14:07 AM »
redanman

You seem to have taken a mulligan.  I'll keep an eye on your pencil when we finally get to play....

PS--over here coverage starts at 4am EST and continues until 1:30 (your time again).  No commercials.  Lots of camera shots of clumps of fescue and/or jiggly halter tops whilst Peter Allis thumbs through his well worn copy of "Longhurst's Guide to Drole Anecdotes."

Not quite heaven, but close as dammit.........

A_Clay_Man

« Reply #31 on: July 15, 2003, 11:31:16 AM »
RIhc- If the weather is good enough for halter tops, who needs to watch the golf?

Bring on a blo'er

of course I mean a gale...  ahmmm  I mean....

wind wind

Odd_Job

« Reply #32 on: July 15, 2003, 02:04:35 PM »
I love the Open because of the horribly funny BBC TV feed that ABC had to live with for years.

Someone would hit a shot, then you would see the sky, a bush, and after a minute or so they would finally locate the ball.  It was a total struggle to just keep track of what has going on, and as such, was a welcome relief from the well produced golf telecasts we have become accustomed to in the States.

GeoffreyC

« Reply #33 on: July 15, 2003, 04:49:26 PM »
This article on the Golfweek web site says it very well.

http://www.golfweek.com/articles/2003/pro/majors/men/british/34387.asp

Its also the poster child for TEP's maitenance meld.  It should be fun to watch.

Steve Wilson

« Reply #34 on: July 15, 2003, 07:14:07 PM »
Although I'm not ordinarily a fan of train wrecks, I always enjoy the suspense of seeing if a ball rolling near a bunker has enough momentum to evade the gathering slope and find the green or will falter and plummet to perdition.  

And if 13 is a baker's dozen, I guess Redanman's choice of 11 telecasts for his basket of ten majors qualifies as creating a new expression "a golfer's ten."
Some days you play golf, some days you find things.

I'm not really registered, but I couldn't find a symbol for certifiable.

"Every good drive by a high handicapper will be punished..."  Garland Bailey at the BUDA in sharing with me what the better player should always remember.

Jimbo

« Reply #35 on: July 15, 2003, 08:33:37 PM »
Carnoustie!!!

tonyt

« Reply #36 on: July 16, 2003, 07:44:40 AM »
Here on the east coast of Australia, the Open telecast always begins at about 7pm, and always finishes at about 4am the following morning.

And since Nicklaus overtaking Simon Owen at St Andrews in 1978, I haven't missed one televised session ever!

Chris Pike

« Reply #37 on: July 16, 2003, 04:33:47 PM »
What I love about The Open...

Living on the East Coast of the United States, I get to wake up, watch golf, and stay in bed until it's over.  If I'm lucky, my wife will even bring me breakfast  ;D

Another thing I love is some of the idiosyncrasies that the Open rotation courses have.  At RSG, I understand that there's a bunker that was created by an errant Nazi bomb!  That's something you won't see in the States  :o
"Golf is a game in which you yell Fore, shoot six and write down five."  -Paul Harvey

David_Tepper

« Reply #38 on: July 17, 2003, 03:42:45 PM »
Today showed another reason to like the Open- of the top 8 players on today's leaderboard, there are players from at least 6 different countries!!!

TEPaul

« Reply #39 on: July 18, 2003, 07:57:08 AM »
I like to watch this Open because I find the players generally are very willing to adjust to what it requires, and it's obviously a pretty big adjustment for many of them, particularly the Americans--and if any of us truly love watching great golfers we should very much appreciate this fact of a large adjustment on their part--that shows real adaptability which takes real talent physically and mentally.

A lot of tour players also take a certain amount of flack on here for being spoilt, demanding, concerned with "fairness", abhoring the unpredictable and forces beyond their control etc, etc.  

But I've been very impressed with the demeanor and poise of many of them--certainly yesterday. I think the commentators are too. Did you notice how excited Strange got watching Woods execute a couple of super low bullets into the wind? Many of the post round interviews were wonderful in this vein too--particularly Norman, Els, Jacobsen and Toms.

Norman's brief description of the multi-options facing players in these conditions on this type of architecture and conditions as opposed to the single aerial option elsewhere was wonderful for much of what many on this site feel. And Toms was neat too when he mentioned with a smile what you have to do on a course like RSG yesterday. He mentioned when he got home he'll probably need to take about a week off and learn to hit the ball in the air again.

Definitely only in the British Open do you see stuff like this from these guys--and its so different!

But as it's always been to me the game that's an enigma to me in these conditions is Watson's. He's done so well in these conditions over the years and he seems to be the one who needs to adjust his game the least. Watson is sort of a high ball player and somehow he seems to fit that to these conditions with less adjustment than most players.

How does he do that? If you ask me much of it probably has to do with the fact that he just LOVES this kind of golf and his attitude brings him through.

Last week I heard a few stories about Watson from a man I'd not met before who has more style, class, and one of the great attitudes I've ever seen--Sandy Tatum (past USGA Pres). Obviously Tatum's relationship with Watson is a long and particularly close one of true respect. Tatum just calls him "Watson".

But this is what Tatum said about Watson in conditions and situations like we may have seen yesterday. Tatum said that most all the players he's ever known when their ball comes to rest in a sand divot, for instance, will roll their eyes and get upset but Watson's eyes will light up and he's likely to say "Watch this?"

Patrick_Mucci

« Reply #40 on: July 18, 2003, 01:12:36 PM »
Perhaps, we like the British Open because there is an emphasis on ball striking and creative play, and an apparent deemphasis on birdie putting and an emphasis on approach putting.

You don't seem to see the leaders knocking down the flag on hole after hole, and PAR seems to be a satisfactory goal on many of the holes.

James Edwards

« Reply #41 on: July 18, 2003, 07:39:41 PM »
Tom Paul,

You hit the nail on the head with your last sentence from Tatum on Watson.  The truly great players love it... they love what they do and they love tough situations!

The great golf players/thinkers will always see potential problems as "defining moments"

Either you define the moment, or let the moment define you!

My coach always said to me "if you get in bad lie or situation in matchplay, say to your caddy, this is my moment to show everyone just how good I really am"

This is why Seve and Garcia even Mickelson don't mind  the trouble shots because they have all the shots and love the fact that everyone knows they have them.  They love the fact everyone watching are about to witness them do something special and that only a few are blessed with that imagination.

« Last Edit: July 18, 2003, 07:43:01 PM by J.J.S.E »
@EDI__ADI

Tiger_Bernhardt

« Reply #42 on: July 19, 2003, 06:59:42 PM »
I love the Open for many reasons. One of which is the hand of man seems less involved. The nature of links golf makes the winds(weather) and the golfers imagination a much greater part of the event than the US Open or the PGA. Augusta Nat has simliar qualities in a parkland setting.

Patrick_Mucci

« Reply #43 on: July 19, 2003, 09:04:47 PM »
Tiger Bernhardt,

How many sites by the sea exist in the US ?

What would be the cost to acquire a seaside site in most states ?

How many of those sites could endure and pass the permiting process ?

Unfortunately, I don't think we'll be seeing anymore of these sites developed in the US.

ForkaB

« Reply #44 on: July 20, 2003, 01:43:35 AM »
Patrick

It is not just the permitting issues, etc., it is the fact that there are not many (if, indeed, ANY) true bits of linksland in the USA.  The closest I've seen is Bandon, Ore., but it has yet to meet the Chou-en-lai "it's too soon to tell...." test.  To me, the next closest thing is the in the midwest (e.g. Prairie Dunes, probably Sand Hills--haven't seen the latter).  I don't consider eastern LI or the South atlantic coast to be true linksland.  To paraphrase Hogan, "linksland's all in the (lack of) dirt."

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back