News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

John Butler

New Member Introduction
« on: October 26, 2012, 03:00:48 PM »
With Joe Andriole's encouragement and Ran's invitation, I'm happy to join the Discussion Group after looking at GCA regularly for years.  I've played golf since school days and became interested in architects and courses when reviewing the top 100 lists in the early 1980s.  I live in Alexandria, Virginia and am recently retired.  My wife and I have traveled overseas many times, often based on the experiences of those on GCA.  It's a great resource and I appreciate the opportunity now to contribute.

Will Lozier

Re: New Member Introduction
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2012, 03:06:49 PM »
Welcome John! 

Cheers

PCCraig

« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2012, 03:36:18 PM »
Welcome John!
H.P.S.

Carl Nichols

« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2012, 03:42:13 PM »
John:
Welcome!  Do you play regularly anywhere in the area?  (I live in DC itself, though I lived in Old Town from 1996-2002.)

Mike Nuzzo

« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2012, 04:06:50 PM »
Welcome John
Can you share what impact GCA had on your trips?
Any particular choices that you would have never found that were great or terrible ideas?
Cheers
Thinking of Bob, Rihc, Bill, George, Neil, Dr. Childs, & Tiger.

Greg Gilson

« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2012, 05:26:34 PM »
Welcome John from a fellow Newbie. We lived in NVA for about 8 years in 2 stints from 1993. Plauyed all the local publics through most of that period. In due time i'd be interested in hearing whats happened with local courses there in the last 5 years. The golf market was tanking when i left around 10 years ago. All the best!

John Butler

« Reply #6 on: October 27, 2012, 10:44:22 AM »
Brian - Beyond Canada, Great Britain, and Ireland, I've played in Australia (Sydney, Melbourne, Adelaide, Tasmania) and New Zealand (North and South Islands).  Hope to play in South Africa and Argentina/Chile.

Carl - We live in Old Town Alexandria.  I play public courses in Northern Virginia mostly; like to practice at East Potomac Park in DC.

Mike -  From GCA I learned about second and third tier courses worth playing in GB&I and recommended hotels/B&Bs, was never steered wrong.

Greg - There are about a dozen quality local publics in the Northern Virginia suburbs but not much development in recent years; my favorite is Laurel Hill in Lorton.

Christoph Meister

« Reply #7 on: November 02, 2012, 04:13:47 PM »
Hi John,

Good to see you here & welcome to golfclubatlas.com!

Greetings from Germany,

Christoph

NB: Thank you again for those scorecards from VA. that you sent me some time ago!
Golf's Missing Links - Continental Europe
 https://www.golfsmissinglinks.co.uk/index.php/wales-2
EAGHC European Association of
Golf Historians & Collectors
http://www.golfika.com
German Hickory Golf Society e.V.
http://www.german-hickory.com

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back