News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Mark_Rowlinson

1920s aerials of British Courses 9
« on: October 24, 2012, 07:03:45 AM »
A few pictures that I missed earlier.

Fulwell

Another picture of Ashford Manor:

Abbeydale in Sheffield

This seems to be a public park in Folkestone. Note the cross bunkers. No topping here!

Glamorganshire

Pennarth

Pwllheli

Royal Porthcawl

Ally Mcintosh

Re: 1920s aerials of British Courses 9
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2012, 07:24:25 AM »
Look at some of those great bunker shapes around Porthcawl....

Tony_Muldoon

« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2012, 07:50:49 AM »
Mark these are great finds and I hope the clubs learn to search on here.

That’s the original Fulwell course, there were 36 holes by Taylor.  

If you look at the crowd on the 18th(I think) and the tent on the practice ground possibly this is taken during a tournament. I’ve just checked Wiki and maybe not, but I’m sure it held an early News of The World. It was quite an important club owned by the papers owners who also owned Walton Heath.

The large green in the middle of the picture is today’s 9th  (but oddly futher back – I wonder if the clubhouse was moved?) and appears to feature Alpinization. I’ve posted thise pictures before its of that green remodelled, before WW11 and Morrison’s complete redo.  I now know Colt changed a Green in the teens and so did MacKenzie in the early 20’s.  Not proof exactly, but to my mind it makes it more likely that this was this was a MacKenzie.

« Last Edit: October 24, 2012, 07:54:40 AM by Tony_Muldoon »
Let's make GCA grate again!

Mark_Rowlinson

« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2012, 10:53:21 AM »
MacKenzie was certainly involved in 1921. If Neil Crafter sees this I'm sure he'll chime in.

Richard Muldoon

« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2012, 03:36:17 PM »
Tony,
I think the 9th green is pretty much where the current 9th green is situated, especially if you look at the trees at the far side which are still there.
The distance between the green and the clubhouse seems the same as today (even though this is the original clubhouse which burnt down partially, but I think was rebuilt on the same footprint).
While pointing out how bad your memory is  :)  that's not the practice ground, it's to the right of the 5th fairway. I should know I sliced enough drives onto it.
Interested to see the old layout as that green with the 3 greens infront and behind is where the current 10th tee is and the hole goes the other way

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back