News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Mark_Rowlinson

Bunkering in Britain in the 1920s
« on: October 23, 2012, 02:34:02 PM »
I've been putting up on here some aerial pictures of British golf courses in the 1920s. It strikes me that there were a great number more bunkers, that they had far more artistic designs, that the topped shot was still to be punished, and that in many situations that was the only hazard they had.

There won't be a flood of images to come. I am now about 17,000 through 19,000 images. Mind you, I have had a wonderful time looking at fabulously good quality images of Britain from the air, mostly in the 1920s. Anyone with and interest 20th century Britain would be fascinated in the web site: Britain from above.

Tony_Muldoon

Re: Bunkering in Britain in the 1920s
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2012, 03:10:04 PM »
Agreed and we're very lucky to see the twenties in such detail.  However you do see the obvioius cop bunkers and then the more subtle plaicng on Colt courses. If indeed there was a dark age it seems to  have lasted longer than I previously  thought.
Let's make GCA grate again!

Niall C

« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2012, 01:31:45 PM »
As I said on another of Mark's threads, this new site is a fabulous resource and like you say Tony it does show that changes from one style to another didn't change as quickly as you tend to think.

Niall

Mark_Rowlinson

« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2012, 02:21:27 PM »
In these photos there are still a lot of bunkers there to punish the topped drive. Now we have acres of rough to clear on our tee shots. As I've just found out I've got some dates wrong because I didn't look beyond the initial caption. I went straight to the download image page. But if you click on the Photobucket number there'll be three letters and six numbers which is the number of the photo on Britain from Above website. The English courses start with E, the Scottish with S and the Welsh with W, surprise, surprise. It's much easier than using the search facility which brings up all sorts of random images.

Garland Bayley

« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2012, 05:31:04 PM »
In The Spirit of St. Andrews, Dr. Mac points out that when golf boomed, everybody was building unimaginative courses. He points out as I recall that common items seen were square features and cross bunkers.
"I enjoy a course where the challenges are contained WITHIN it, and recovery is part of the game  not a course where the challenge is to stay ON it." Jeff Warne

Ally Mcintosh

« Reply #5 on: October 25, 2012, 05:46:01 PM »
The straight up penal cross-bunker has its place and I think is due a comeback. There's some beautiful ones still about on classic British courses. Once they're given a bit of shape, character and scale, they can add some spice...

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back