News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Carl Rogers

Can this queston be discussed here?
I decline to accept the end of man. ... William Faulkner

Mark Pearce

Yes, it can be discussed and yes, sometimes it probably did.  That's part of what made him the hero he was, to me at least.  Perfect heroes are rather boring, don't you think?
In June I will be riding the first three stages of this year's Tour de France route for charity.  630km (394 miles) in three days, with 7800m (25,600 feet) of climbing for the William Wates Memorial Trust (https://rideleloop.org/the-charity/) which supports underprivileged young people.

JMEvensky

Mike Clayton or Pat Burke could answer this better than anyone else.

Keep bumping it until they see it.

Howard Riefs

Gamesmanship? Seve? Not if you ask Olazabal.

"No, that was not the spirit of the Ryder Cup. That was not his idea at all. It's true that sometimes he (Ballesteros) had certain tics, but he never did it on purpose. ... If anyone thinks that way, well, sorry. But I don't think I've shown any gamesmanship in my career."

http://sport.uk.msn.com/golf/olazabal-dismisses-gamesmanship-talk

"Golf combines two favorite American pastimes: Taking long walks and hitting things with a stick."  ~P.J. O'Rourke

Michael Wharton-Palmer

I think he crossed the line once or twice, perhaps not always deliberately.
I was lucky enough to spend some time with Seve at Crans Montana in I thik it was 1987, as a college player who had qualified to play in the Ebel Masters.
I was friends with Mark James, Howrad Clark and a few others who shared the same teacher Gavin Christie, and I was introduced to the man.

He was kind and generous with his time, many stories he shared, but on the topic of getting under peoples skin on purpose, he was rather hurt at the thought.
But in the Ryder Cup, I would imagine that level of hurt diminished rather quickly in search of a point.

I hold him in the gighest reagrd.
I saw him again two years later at The Open and he walked twenty yards out of his way to come across and say hello and asked me how college was going...a true gentleman.
« Last Edit: October 02, 2012, 10:15:22 AM by Michael Wharton-Palmer »

Steve Salmen

I'd be interested to know what Miguel Angel Martin's thoughts are of Seve.

David Whitmer

On War By The Shore, Azinger (and perhaps others...I don't remember) basically said Seve would cough or clear his throat when an opponent was hitting. If that is true (and please note I said "if," as I have no first-hand knowledge), that crosses the line in a big way.

I hope Seve never did that with the intent to disrupt his opponent. That would not be cool.

Mark Steffey

On War By The Shore, Azinger (and perhaps others...I don't remember) basically said Seve would cough or clear his throat when an opponent was hitting. If that is true (and please note I said "if," as I have no first-hand knowledge), that crosses the line in a big way.

I hope Seve never did that with the intent to disrupt his opponent. That would not be cool.

at least he didn't cheat like azinger....

David Whitmer

at least he didn't cheat like azinger....

Again, IF it's true, in my opinion it is worse than a guy like Azinger who admitted he played a wrong ball and said it was a mistake. And Seve and Olazabal should have brought it up timely, instead of waiting three holes. But I digress...certain acts of gamesmanship is one thing. Intentionally trying to interrupt an opponent, or intentionally breaking the rules, is another. Neither have any place in golf. Seve was too great a champion to do that. He was one of my favorites. I hope his intent was always gentlemanly.

Tiger_Bernhardt

I find it hard to believe he would behave in such a childish and disrespectful manner. That far crosses the line of gamesmanship. That is just classless and should not even be discussed without at least a credible rumor.

Pat Burke

I never played with him, so never experienced the <cough>
Practiced with him, had lunch with him, he was quiet, but couldn't be nicer

Michael Tamburrini

There's no way he coughed during backswings or anything like that.  Can you imagine any American (or any opponent) letting such a thing go without even a comment at the time?  Particularly at Kiawah, when emotions were already high.  There'd have been a major incident if any player had tried that.

Jack_Marr

I loved watching Seve play. Always a fan of his, but the Seve stuff at the Ryder Cup was way over the top. People watch too much tv.
John Marr(inan)

Mike_Clayton

I played with him more than half a dozen times - and he was fantastic.Mind you I was hardly a threat to beat him. We played a match once at the Epson Grand Prix - 4 and 3 to him without raising a sweat. He did beat ,Michael Allen 8 and 7 the next day though.

A few of us were watched the finish of the 1985 Open when Sandy Lyle won - and Seve walked in and sat down at the table.
He quietly commentated on what was happening over the last four or five holes. It was a pity he never took to television because he would have been brilliant.

You won't find too many non-Americans who played in his time say a bad word about him. The European tour adored him.

Joe Bausch

Not gamesmanship, but Lon Hinkle did not like how Seve marked his ball.  This from a 1980 article by Tim Rosaforte (when he had hair!):

The entire article here:

http://news.google.com/newspapers?nid=888&dat=19800811&id=lrhaAAAAIBAJ&sjid=cFoDAAAAIBAJ&pg=6916,2890008
@jwbausch (for new photo albums)
The site for the Cobb's Creek project:  https://cobbscreek.org/
Nearly all Delaware Valley golf courses in photo albums: Bausch Collection

Mark Steffey

Not gamesmanship, but Lon Hinkle did not like how Seve marked his ball.  This from a 1980 article by Tim Rosaforte (when he had hair!):

did i find the story missing a detail or two?

Mike_Clayton

Joe

The other Spaniard to play the 1979 Ryder Cup was accused to that many times - but I never heard a single player in Europe accuse Seve of mis-marking his ball on the green.

Jeff Fortson

Not saying it is true but both Azinger and Chip Beck claim that Seve would clear his throat mid-swing in the Ryder Cup.
#nowhitebelt

Mark Steffey

Not saying it is true but both Azinger and Chip Beck claim that Seve would clear his throat mid-swing in the Ryder Cup.

you could say it's true that zinger and beck cheated.

nice move to take this notice away from you, huh?   'oh, we cheated?  no, it was a mistake.. but seve coughed when we swung".

John Kavanaugh

Come on people, being a dick is not a gateway to immortality. Bad people die too.

Sam Morrow

Wasn't Snead notorious for clearing his throat and things like that?

Mark Steffey

Wasn't Snead notorious for clearing his throat and things like that?

snead was notorious for paying all his golf losses with checks, hoping that the 'winner' would keep it for the autograph and not try to cash it and see it bounce :)

Gary Slatter

speak well of the dead!
Gary Slatter
gary.slatter@raffles.com

Sven Nilsen

A top ten list of gamemanship in golf (Seve is included):

http://www.hkgolfer.com/features/gamesmanship-top-10-moments?page=0,0
"As much as we have learned about the history of golf architecture in the last ten plus years, I'm convinced we have only scratched the surface."  A GCA Poster

"There's the golf hole; play it any way you please." Donald Ross

Sam Morrow

Who was the legend that Hogan threatened to whoop?

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back