News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Sam Morrow

Re: Ding Dong!!!
« Reply #50 on: October 01, 2012, 11:29:00 AM »
I'm simply shocked that the power trio of Michael Jordan, Michael Phelps and Justin Timberlake were unable to bring home the gold for this team.

Shocked, I tell you.

Michael needs to stay out of golf and run an NBA team. I know the Bobcats suck, maybe he can help them.

Sam,
To his credit..when the fans in the opening match began shouting "Michael Jordan" on the first tee he quietly sneaked around the corner and exited thru the crowd...he did not want any attention taken from the team....

I did notice that too, not over the top like he was in 97. I still think MJ should go run a team, he can't do any worse than the guy in Charlotte. ;)

George Pazin

« Reply #51 on: October 01, 2012, 11:30:05 AM »
Perhaps Davis simply thought the event was bigger than Phil and Keegan, or any one side winning. He played his whole team, honorably.

-----

I, for one, would like to see Captain's picks completely and utterly, irrevocably, abandoned. Period. You earn your way onto the team. I understand how that could cause problems for the Euros, given the differences in tours, but I'd rather see both sides set their own criteria, and simply stick to it.
Big drivers and hot balls are the product of golf course design that rewards the hit one far then hit one high strategy.  Shinny showed everyone how to take care of this whole technology dilemma. - Pat Brockwell, 6/24/04

Sam Morrow

« Reply #52 on: October 01, 2012, 11:33:42 AM »
Perhaps Davis simply thought the event was bigger than Phil and Keegan, or any one side winning. He played his whole team, honorably.

-----

I, for one, would like to see Captain's picks completely and utterly, irrevocably, abandoned. Period. You earn your way onto the team. I understand how that could cause problems for the Euros, given the differences in tours, but I'd rather see both sides set their own criteria, and simply stick to it.

It's an interesting idea but your right, the European team would be hurt by it. Maybe you could go off the world rankings? Don't get me wrong, I wish America would win every 2 years but I bet this event was a boring watch usually when it was just GB&I.

Tim Pitner

« Reply #53 on: October 01, 2012, 11:50:43 AM »
I wouldn't have sat down Mickelson-Bradley, but I'm not sure you can blame Davis too much for this.  The U.S. had a lot of good teams going.  On Sat afternoon, the U.S. sent out Simpson-Watson and D. Johnson-Kuchar (who each won), Woods-Stricker who were 0-2, but who had sat out on Sat morning and Tiger was showing some good signs (you're not going to sit Tiger down for an entire day), and Dufner-Z. Johnson who were 2-0 and played pretty well, only losing because of Poulter's heroics. 

Maybe Davis could have experimented with a Woods-Bradley pairing, but Woods likes playing with Stricker (0-3 this year--this isn't the President's Cup) and Davis had stuck with the same teams all week so why would he have changed at that point, up by four?  Very defensible, in my opinion. 

Phil McDade

« Reply #54 on: October 01, 2012, 12:15:58 PM »
To me the biggest upset of the day that nobody's really talking about was Lawrie thumping Snedeker 5&3.  Love's captain's picks went a combined 5-8.  If you take away Dustin Johnson, Stricker, Furyk and Snedeker went 2-8.  Combine this with not overruling Phil's insistence on sticking with the pregame plan when they were redhot, and had only played 12 holes Saturday, and telling him he needed him and Keegan out there again you get a pretty poor coaching performance overall.  Looks like just as in his playing career, Davis just doesn't possess the killer instinct.  Leo Durocher may have had it right...

I completely agree with every point here.  I, too, thought the Lawrie thumping of Snedeker was the pivot point on Sunday.  And I completely agree that it was a coaching abortion to sit Mickelson and Bradley Saturday afternoon.

Can you imagine Phil Jackson benching MJ and Scottie in the Eastern Conference finals?  Ditka benching Payton, Singletary and Hampton for the NFC Championship game?  I sure as hell can't!  You play your best players.  Period. 

Saturday, the way Mickelson and Bradley were rolling, they'd have beaten anybody in the world in 15 or 16 holes.  It was asinine to bench them.   

This was a classic case of overcoaching.  If I was Love, I'd have told Mickelson and Bradley "You two are white-hot.  Don't even go inside and don't even think about sitting down 'cuz you might get stiff.  Keep walking around and go straight to the first tee - because I want you two back on the course ASAP, so you're going off first."

Lawrie/Snedeker pivotal -- yes. An upset -- not really.

Lawrie was sent out as the anchor at Brookline in 1999, and already knew his match would be pivotal when he teed off, as the U.S. rally was on by then. And he thumped Maggert (undefeated at Brookline until he ran into Lawrie) 4 and 3 in a match that no one talks about because it was lost in the shuffle/stampede of what went on that day. And to me, Snedeker might've been the single most unreliable guy in the U.S. singles line-up, because he's high-strung to begin with and had shown his overall game (his hot putter nothwithstanding) was pretty inconsistent (his tee shot on 18 that essentially cost the US side a point or half-point Friday in foursomes.)

Lots of Monday-AM quarterbacking, and I'll add a few cents:

-- I think it's fair to criticize the benching of Bradley and Mickelson. They hadn't played a full slate of holes, given how quickly their matches end (44 holes of a possible 54 through Saturday morning's session), and it was pretty clear they were intimidating Euro sides put up against them with their play. However, not the worst decision made by Love (more on that later...)

-- While everyone's jumping on Love's (and Mickelson's) back, I think Olazabal opened himself up to some criticism by benching three players for all but one match before Sunday's singles (Kaymer, Hanson, and Lawrie) and we really don't know what went into that decision. Ollie had his assistants (Jimenez, Clarke, Bjorn) closely follow groups Fri. and Sat., and we simply don't know if one or more of those assistants urged him to bench those guys. In fact, Ollie suggested he'd be open to that, when he said he'd be leaning on them for evaluations of how players were doing. We just don't know about it, compared to the openly discussed decision to bench Bradley/Lefty. It worked out for Euro -- Ollie's three benched guys went 2-1. But had Kaymer not sunk that putt, I think you'd see lots of speculation in the Euro press about the benching decision.

-- Some of this is luck. When the pairings came out, I though that Euro got much the better half of the draw. Bradley got one of the two guys (McIlroy) that Love probably didn't want to see. Rose, playing well, got another hot player in Mickelson. Sergio got a chance at redeeming his defeat to Furyk at Brookline. Ollie's four most off-form/weakest guys (the benched three, plus Molinari) drew Snedeker, Tiger, Stricker and Z. Johnson -- only one of whom it could be said was having a decent RCup (Z Johnson) for the U.S. Kaymer and Stricker were probably the two most off-forms guys at the RC, which essentially made that match the crap-shoot it turned out to be.

-- To me, maybe the most odd result of the entire singles session (the one I thought surely would go the other way) was Kuchar-Westwood. Kuchar was terrific in fourballs, and only the stumbling Woods/Stricker pairing had allowed Westwood to rack up a point through Saturday for Euro -- he looked off all weekend. Until Sunday.

-- Still, the single worst decision by anyone this year was Love's decision (probably made days before Friday's session) to play Tiger in foursomes anchoring the Friday morning session. I'm not good enough to detect what specifically ails Tiger's game, but I've watched enough to know this -- he's spectacularly inconsistent. Not just round to round -- hole to hole, shot to shot. Brilliant one moment, awful the next. He hit some of the best shots of the week, and some of the worst. And he's been playing that way for awhile. Exactly the kind of guy you save for fourballs, and hope he can get through singles.

Tiger is now one Justin Leonard-45-foot bomb from never having played on a winning RCup team since he turned pro. And when he didn't play in the RCup in 2008, the U.S. won. One of the Euro players joked Sunday night that Euro qualifying should be changed to: 9 qualifiers, two captain's picks, and Poulter.

I think the U.S. needs a selection system the opposite of that. ;)

Jerry Kluger

« Reply #55 on: October 01, 2012, 12:19:02 PM »
Oh yeah - somehow Rose reminded me of what Bradley did to Dufner last year.

George Pazin

« Reply #56 on: October 01, 2012, 12:20:42 PM »
OK, so even if DL III had played the team of Mickelson//Bradley, who is to say that it would have changed anything? Those two dusted Westwood/Donald in 12 holes, before even, I believe, the afternoon matches were even set up. So chances are, they would have played in the 1st couple of matches of the afternoon and the Americans won those matches regardless......

That's the beauty of playing the "if only" game. You can make crazy statements like "if Phil and Keegan had trounced another pair on Sat afternoon, they would've won their singles matches!"

There's no end to that sort of speculation, once you go down that road.

In the end, with the bombs made by Rose, it just seemed a matter of destiny.
Big drivers and hot balls are the product of golf course design that rewards the hit one far then hit one high strategy.  Shinny showed everyone how to take care of this whole technology dilemma. - Pat Brockwell, 6/24/04

Jud_T

« Reply #57 on: October 01, 2012, 12:27:44 PM »
Phil,

Couple of points.  I commend Ollie for benching guys he thought didn't have their A games.  If only Love had the stones to do that.  This isn't 3rd grade soccer where every kid plays a half so mom and dad can get video, it's the F&*#ing Ryder Cup.  Play (and pick!!!) your hot hands for each session, period.  I don't care if someone gets his panties in a bunch for sitting all the way till singles.

Additionally,  it's not simply a random draw on Sunday.  You knew they were going to stack the deck as it was their only chance to keep some momentum. So once again, put your best foot forward.  
« Last Edit: October 01, 2012, 12:30:58 PM by Jud Tigerman »
Golf is a game. We play it. Somewhere along the way we took the fun out of it and charged a premium to be punished.- - Ron Sirak

Tim Pitner

« Reply #58 on: October 01, 2012, 12:33:33 PM »

-- Still, the single worst decision by anyone this year was Love's decision (probably made days before Friday's session) to play Tiger in foursomes anchoring the Friday morning session. I'm not good enough to detect what specifically ails Tiger's game, but I've watched enough to know this -- he's spectacularly inconsistent. Not just round to round -- hole to hole, shot to shot. Brilliant one moment, awful the next. He hit some of the best shots of the week, and some of the worst. And he's been playing that way for awhile. Exactly the kind of guy you save for fourballs, and hope he can get through singles.

Then again, Stricker seems likes an ideal foursomes player and he stunk worse than Tiger.  

Phil McDade

« Reply #59 on: October 01, 2012, 12:33:40 PM »
Jud:

Yes! That's why Tiger should've been benched earlier! ;D

No, the draw isn't completely random, as Ollie had to presume Love would stack the top. But I'm pretty sure Ollie didn't expect to see Tiger sitting last in the line-up. And once you get past the first three or four guys (Euro's foursome of Donald, Poulter, McIlroy and Rose), it's pretty darn random -- Ollie surely knows the history of 1999 as well as anyone, and knew of what Lawrie did there under enormous pressure. Instead he stuck him in the middle and the Scot got a very good draw against Snedeker. And Ollie surely was worried about who Hanson and Kaymer drew, and he had to be happy he only got one on-form golfer going up against Euro on those match-ups. And there's no of way predicting a Sergio-Furyk rematch (8th match off), which Garcia surely was pining for.

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #60 on: October 01, 2012, 12:35:57 PM »
Remember, Tiger has never won a major unless he teed off last on Sunday.  Davis had to play him anchor.

Phil McDade

« Reply #61 on: October 01, 2012, 12:36:37 PM »

Then again, Stricker seems likes an ideal foursomes player and he stunk worse than Tiger.  

Tim:

Stricker spent most of Friday morning bailing out the US side from Tiger's errant-ness. Tiger was in better form than Stricker, overall, but Stricker held up his end of the pairing on Saturday's fourballs.

Phil McDade

« Reply #62 on: October 01, 2012, 12:40:37 PM »
Remember, Tiger has never won a major unless he teed off last on Sunday.  Davis had to play him anchor.

You mean also-ran...

That was a slap.  Davis figured this was going to be over by then with all his best players so well-rested...

Shivas -- I thought the exact same thing. That he couldn't close out Molinari before 18 suggests Tiger knew it, too.

Tim Pitner

« Reply #63 on: October 01, 2012, 12:40:59 PM »

Tim:

Stricker spent most of Friday morning bailing out the US side from Tiger's errant-ness. Tiger was in better form than Stricker, overall, but Stricker held up his end of the pairing on Saturday's fourballs.

When he wasn't rinsing his ball on #2.  Phil, I think you're a loyal Wisconsin guy, but Stricker was horrible all week.  You don't go 0-4 by accident.

Sven Nilsen

« Reply #64 on: October 01, 2012, 12:46:54 PM »

You mean also-ran...

That was a slap.  Davis figured this was going to be over by then with all his best players so well-rested...

I don't think this was Love's call.  There was commentary at some point yesterday that Davis asked Tiger where he wanted to be in the lineup, and he requested the last spot.
"As much as we have learned about the history of golf architecture in the last ten plus years, I'm convinced we have only scratched the surface."  A GCA Poster

"There's the golf hole; play it any way you please." Donald Ross

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #65 on: October 01, 2012, 12:48:10 PM »
I've been thinking today about the commercial where Davis reads out of his own book where he says he wants to be Ryder Cup Captain some day.  Reminds me of the little girl who writes in her diary of one day getting married. If you ever want to jinx a dream, write it down.

I want to meet that guy who went to the mall Saturday night and bought the Omega Captain's watch.  Oops.

Phil McDade

« Reply #66 on: October 01, 2012, 01:14:29 PM »

Tim:

When he wasn't rinsing his ball on #2.  Phil, I think you're a loyal Wisconsin guy, but Stricker was horrible all week.  You don't go 0-4 by accident.

Tim:

I've said that Strick was the most off-form guy for the U.S. all week.

But, the Ryder Cup stats show Strick and Tiger each counted their ball 9 times in Sat's fourballs, with Tiger's ball winning 3 holes over Euro and Strick's ball winning 2 times over Euro. That's pretty even. In Friday's fourballs, Tiger's ball counted 10 times to Stricker's 8, with Tiger's ball winning four times against Euro. Fine -- he carried Strick in that match. In foursomes Thursday, they were both pretty awful, with Tiger off the bat twice missing fairways by 30-some yards on the front nine.

Neither one distinguished himself in singles -- Strick lost to a major winner and a 9-time winner on the Euro Tour; Woods halved a match with a guy who has one top-10 in a major in his career.

Jud_T

« Reply #67 on: October 01, 2012, 02:01:42 PM »

I don't think this was Love's call.  There was commentary at some point yesterday that Davis asked Tiger where he wanted to be in the lineup, and he requested the last spot.

Wasn't Davis' call?  Wasn't he the Captain? Tell him to get his ass out there early and earn a f&^#ing point for the team when it mattered.
Golf is a game. We play it. Somewhere along the way we took the fun out of it and charged a premium to be punished.- - Ron Sirak

Tim Pitner

« Reply #68 on: October 01, 2012, 02:10:35 PM »
Neither one distinguished himself in singles -- Strick lost to a major winner and a 9-time winner on the Euro Tour; Woods halved a match with a guy who has one top-10 in a major in his career.

Phil,

Nice effort but Kaymer is not currently the player he used to be--his form may return but his stock has fallen, so much so that Ollie had to bench Kaymer, one of his few major winners, for all but one match prior to the singles.  Kaymer has fallen to Peter Hanson territory.  In a battle of guys without much game at the moment, Stricker blinked, made a mess out of 17 and then Kaymer managed to do just enough to win.  

You know what they say about statistics.  Based on my viewing of the matches, I thought Furyk and Stricker were the weak links on the U.S team--they were the weaker players on their respective teams and they looked uncomfortable on the greens--odd to say about Stricker, but I understand his putting has fallen off.  Given how long it took Furyk to hit his putt on 18 on Sunday, it must have been doubly embarrassing for him to miss.

Sven Nilsen

« Reply #69 on: October 01, 2012, 02:21:09 PM »

You mean also-ran...

In other words, that's what they told the media...  When it comes to Tiger, what the media is told does not historically have much resemblance to the truth...

Think about it this way - Tiger wants the spotlight.  The only chance he had to be a "star" was if the Europeans rallied and it came down to his match (as it almost did).  If he goes out early and the U.S. wins in a romp, his match would have been basically meaningless.  If he goes out early and loses as part of the U.S. comeback, he gets the double whammy to his brand of not being in the spotlight when it mattered and having lost.

Yesterday was a 1/2 a point away from being one of the most dramatic finishes in golf history.  It would be hard to top the entire three day event coming down to the last putt on the last green, especially if the golfer with the chance to grab all of the glory was Tiger Woods.  Perhaps the most fascinating what could have been from the entire weekend.

And yes Jud, I think Love completely deferred to Tiger on this one.

"As much as we have learned about the history of golf architecture in the last ten plus years, I'm convinced we have only scratched the surface."  A GCA Poster

David Egan

« Reply #70 on: October 01, 2012, 02:44:04 PM »

Tim:

Tim:

I've said that Strick was the most off-form guy for the U.S. all week.

But, the Ryder Cup stats show Strick and Tiger each counted their ball 9 times in Sat's fourballs, with Tiger's ball winning 3 holes over Euro and Strick's ball winning 2 times over Euro. That's pretty even. In Friday's fourballs, Tiger's ball counted 10 times to Stricker's 8, with Tiger's ball winning four times against Euro. Fine -- he carried Strick in that match. In foursomes Thursday, they were both pretty awful, with Tiger off the bat twice missing fairways by 30-some yards on the front nine.

A quick glance at the scores for the Saturday match show that Stricker got credit for the score on the 1st and 2nd holes.  I know for sure that he didn't finish the 2nd hole and I'm almost sure that Tiger was in for 4 before Stricker missed his birdie putt. So, the official scoring is not right.  Tiger played way better than Stricker in both fourball matches.  Tiger was garbage in the foursomes on Friday but,  otherwise, was pretty good and great at times.

Michael George

« Reply #71 on: October 01, 2012, 03:28:59 PM »
Looked at each match's scorecard to find out what each American shot for the round:

Bubba Watson - -2
Webb Simpson - Even (bogey on 17)
Keegan Bradley - -2
Phil Mickelson - -4 (2nd lowest American)
Brandt Snedeker - Even (but +2 on the back 9 with string of bogeys to give match away)
Dustin Johnson - -3
Zach Johnson - Even (the recipient of really bad play by McDowell)
Jim Furyk - -1 (but bogeyed last 2 holes to give match away)
Jason Dufner - -5 (lowest American)
Matt Kuchar - Even (lost to birdies on the back 9)
Steve Stricker - Even (+2 on the back to give match away)
Tiger Woods - +1 (+1 on the back to give match away)

Stricker and Tiger were no better yesterday then they were any other day and are the reasons that the US lost the Ryder Cup - pure and simple.  If Tiger plays better and his match is over by 15 or 16, Stricker can play for pars on 17 and 18 to push the match (ie. he could have putted the ball on 17 instead of the skull chip).

When looking at the scorecards, where Davis Love messed up was having his best players out early to play against their best players.  We lost a lot of good rounds because of our best playing Europe's best.  If Davis backloads his lineup, the US might have lost their first 4 matches, but would have coasted with the later matches.  
« Last Edit: October 01, 2012, 03:33:40 PM by Michael George »
"First come my wife and children.  Next comes my profession--the law. Finally, and never as a life in itself, comes golf" - Bob Jones

Phil Benedict

« Reply #72 on: October 01, 2012, 04:01:22 PM »
Unless Tiger re-establishes his supremacy over the next two years, the days when captains defer to him are over.  By deference I mean leaning towards players like Stricker and Furyk in part because Tiger is comfortable partnering with them. 

Sven Nilsen

« Reply #73 on: October 01, 2012, 04:01:56 PM »
For comparison, the Euro scores:

Donald (-4)
Poulter (-2)
McIlroy (-5)
Rose (-6)
Lawrie (-6) through 15
Colsaerts (+1)
McDowell (+2)
Garcia (-3)
Hanson (-1)
Westwood (-3)
Kaymer (+1)
Molinari (+1)

How good was that round by Lawrie?  

Tim Pitner

« Reply #74 on: October 01, 2012, 04:12:54 PM »
Pretty good rounds by Westwood and Garcia when it counted most and considering they had been struggling considerably.  Looking at McDowell makes me think how unfair it can be to judge a player by any particular Ryder Cup performance.  He's been a stalwart performer for Europe over the last couple of Ryder Cups; he just didn't have it this week. 

Amazing how well the draw worked out for Europe, e.g. McIlroy-Bradley, Rose-Mickelson, Garcia-Furyk, Kaymer-Stricker, etc.  Just about every Euro (except maybe Hanson against Dufner) drew a player they could beat based on their form this week. 

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back