News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Dan Kelly

Re: Feature Interview with Tommy Naccarato is posted
« Reply #25 on: September 27, 2012, 07:09:44 PM »
Good to hear Tommy is alive and well -- and still capable of creating lines of, well, if not always charm, then, well, bite -- such as: "I’m of the opinion that Golf is not for the Ignorant!"

Life with no out-of-bounds is a very interesting concept.

Thanks for a good exchange, Ran and Tommy.

Dan

« Last Edit: September 27, 2012, 07:17:32 PM by Dan Kelly »
"There's no money in doing less." -- Joe Hancock, 11/25/2010
"Rankings are silly and subjective..." -- Tom Doak, 3/12/2016

James Bennett

« Reply #26 on: September 28, 2012, 06:30:00 AM »
Great story Tommy.

James B
Bob; its impossible to explain some of the clutter that gets recalled from the attic between my ears. .  (SL Solow)

Bill_McBride

« Reply #27 on: September 28, 2012, 09:49:46 AM »
Great story Tommy.

James B

Hopefully Melvyn won't see this -- in a cart fiddling with the GPS!    ;D

Patrick_Mucci

« Reply #28 on: September 29, 2012, 12:01:55 AM »
I'm shocked that there are only 27 replies to date on this most interesting and informative interview.

Is it a reflection on the quality of the audience, as David Suskind might say ?

Bart Bradley

« Reply #29 on: September 29, 2012, 07:34:01 AM »
Pat:

It is a reflection of the fact that the subject of the interview is unable to respond to any comments here.

The interview has created hundreds of responses on Tommy's website.

The interview is very well done and I agree with your assessment as to it being interesting and informative.

Since Tommy is an ND fan, I shall close with this:  GO IRISH!

Bart

Noel Freeman

« Reply #30 on: September 29, 2012, 12:01:43 PM »
I still recall the first time, I interacted with Tommy, oh about 14 or 15 years ago.  Let me just say I thought he was Japanese (sigh).  Naccarato could go either way, think about it, not EYETALIAN as Tommy would say.  Anyway, Tommy and I had a mutual friend in common, Jim Reilly who is unknown to but a few left on this website.  Jim had lived in Southern California and had played golf with Tommy etc and knew him well, unfortunately since Jim moved to Costa Rica, the last time they got together was in Las Vegas for my wedding reception.  In fact, I think Tommy drove Jim back to LA after, must have been a good golf discussion.

This interview scratches the veneer of who Tommy is.  Outrageous, pugnacious, loquacious, sensitive, thoughtful, sleuth-master supreme, jocular, antagonistic, stubborn, bombastic, hypocritical, vivacious and teddy bear cuddly.  They all describe Tommy.

I was fortunate to have submitted a slate of questions for Tommy with this interview.  Several did not make the cut.

How many here know of Tommy's involvement with youth golf and Get a Grip in Los Angeles?

How many know of Tommy's huge knowledge of music and his times on the go-go sunset strip during the legendary days of the late 70s, early 80s?

Anyone know that Tommy was responsible for a lot of work done at LAX?

To say any of us know Tommy is a lie.  Tommy has so many varied people he knows in a myriad of industry/locales/occupations.  Seriously, his phone never stops ringing.

But I will leave this post with my favorite Tommy story.

My family was going thru an extremely stressful time that I will not highlight here that culminated on a certain day.  On that day, I was scheduled due to Bill McBride's generosity to play golf with Tommy at the Valley Club.  In fact it was 9 years ago next week.  The weather was sublime.  We got off fine but on there 4th hole our cart stopped like a camel that just wouldn't go any further in the desert. So what did Tommy do?  He told me to keep playing without him.  And I said no, but he pushed me to go on while he waited.  About 5 minutes later surmounting a small hill, I saw this crazy Italian pushing the cart to try and jump start it (Tommy's health was not great then) and I freaked out.  But then like a little angel, a tiny elderly man who must have been 90 came out of nowhere.  He picked Tommy up and they disappeared.  I played 2 more holes and then Tommy reappeared with this genteel octogenarian and they were talking like they were lifelong friends.

And that is Tommy's greatest quality, to talk with him once, is to feel like you are a lifelong friend with him--unless you are Tom Marzolf or Tom Fazio.. Ted Robinson may get a hello!

But that is not the end.  Tommy and I played the rest of that day at the Valley Club and we were the only ones out there.  When we came to the 15-18th holes, the sun was setting, the light had turned a tawny/auburn and had due to an October sky and the angle of the setting rays, flattened the landscape.  What this did was give a unique ocular vantage point, it was like being in a Monet landscape.  Truly it inspired the soul, the golfing palette was perfect.   Tommy commented on this and described the moment as "The magic hour"..  It did much to make me feel better given the family situation I was in, and there was no better company than Tommy at that moment.

Tommy still has some great photos of the Valley Club during this time, I believe they are some of the finest golf pictures ever taken by an amateur.  Joanne Dost be damned!.

I will also say that the best steak of my life I enjoyed with Tommy one day after a spirited game at Annandale CC with Mark Sarkisian.  The Arroyo Chophouse that night served something the folk in Nebraska would be proud to claim as their own..

« Last Edit: September 29, 2012, 12:16:16 PM by NFreeman »

Mark Bourgeois

« Reply #31 on: September 29, 2012, 01:57:20 PM »
Fantastic post, Noel.

I would love to commission the La Habra Post Card Company to create one of its legendary, fantastic prints of a favorite course or three. Put one copy on the wall and have ELMS Puzzles do their magic as well.

Charlie Goerges

« Reply #32 on: September 29, 2012, 10:17:29 PM »
Tommy is quite simply the best. I owe him a lot in the world of architecture and for helping me through the worst year of my life (so far anyway). I'm so amazed at how his caring and compassion grow to accomodate each new friend he makes; and there is a large and growing list.

One observation of what makes him great on the subject of GCA is that he gives even the least knowledgeable of us complete respect, so long as we're willing to learn. But he won't hesitate to let you know what he thinks either.
Severally on the occasion of everything that thou doest, pause and ask thyself, if death is a dreadful thing because it deprives thee of this. - Marcus Aurelius

James Bennett

« Reply #33 on: September 30, 2012, 07:05:01 AM »
One observation of what makes him great on the subject of GCA is that he gives even the least knowledgeable of us complete respect, so long as we're willing to learn. But he won't hesitate to let you know what he thinks either.

Tommy encourages you to contribute!
Bob; its impossible to explain some of the clutter that gets recalled from the attic between my ears. .  (SL Solow)

Matthew Mollica

« Reply #34 on: September 30, 2012, 07:42:36 AM »
Wonderful interview, and a very fitting addition to GCA. Well done Ran and Tommy.
"The truth about golf courses has a slightly different expression for every golfer. Which of them, one might ask, is without the most definitive convictions concerning the merits or deficiencies of the links he plays over? Freedom of criticism is one of the last privileges he is likely to forgo."

Bill Gayne

« Reply #35 on: September 30, 2012, 10:16:56 AM »
I was really hoping to learn the whereabouts of Hamilton B. Hearst.

Joel_Stewart

« Reply #36 on: September 30, 2012, 10:44:10 AM »

And that is Tommy's greatest quality, to talk with him once, is to feel like you are a lifelong friend with him--

Noel, very well written.  I guess I would question if what you say is a quality or is it a gift.  I for one think Tommy is very blessed and is very gifted.   He is very complex yet his blue collar down to earth personality makes him likeable by all.   His personal demons just add to his complexity. 

I talk to Tommy a few times per week.  What he needs to remember and this thread of love has proven, is that everyone wants him to succeed.    He seems to be on the right track but it's now up to him and it's going to take a lot of hard work. 

Mark Bourgeois

« Reply #37 on: September 30, 2012, 03:06:42 PM »
I was really hoping to learn the whereabouts of Hamilton B. Hearst.

Bill, he's dropped the middle initial. My hunch is one of his trusts got sunk by a passel of CDOs, subsequent to which he was forced by the bk judge to surrender the "B" to creditors.

Jay Flemma

« Reply #38 on: September 30, 2012, 04:45:48 PM »
Congratulations, Tommy and great interview Ran.  It's nice to see Tommy's acumen being influential:  He not only helps promote great golf course architecture, but he helps build it as well.  He talks the talk...and he walks the walk.  Well done, mate.
Mackenzie, MacRayBanks, Maxwell, Doak, Dye, Strantz. @JayGolfUSA, GNN Radio Host of Jay's Plays www.cybergolf.com/writerscorner

Brett_Morrissy

« Reply #39 on: September 30, 2012, 10:54:53 PM »
Thanks Ran for this enthralling interview with The Emperor, I get a sense that Tommy almost attacks golf architecture, with such passion and love for the game, it is truly inspirational, I am only just getting to know Tommy, and look forward to my continued growth in this area that I love.

Thank you.
@theflatsticker

Pat Burke

« Reply #40 on: October 01, 2012, 03:48:38 AM »
What a great interview.  Well done Tommy, and thank you Ran.

Someone mentioned Tommy's working with us at get a Grip.
His passion working with the kids, and desire to learn everything he could equaled the
passion evident in the interview.

The kids, the staff, and the parents were all screwed out of an incredible program by one person,
who put greed and self importance above everything.

It hurt everybody, especially the kids, but Tommy was really hit by it.  Treated like crap by the same man,
and still tried to come help kids.
We are all happy for Tommy's successes of late, and prayers are always out for the bigger battle

Jfaspen

« Reply #41 on: October 04, 2012, 10:45:52 AM »
I had the fortunate chance to meet and interact with Tommy back at the Kings Putter in Palm Desert. 

I was young and amazed at the pictures of Stone Eagle on the internet so when the chance to play that amongst other courses came up, I jumped at it.

Tommy was amazing to deal with.  Hooked me up with Jason Topp and we had a marvelous (albeit extremely hot) day playing some great golf. 
Tommy made sure my tee time on the last day worked so that I could make the drive back to LA (with a stop at In and Out) and still make my flight.

Overall, he did a lot of little things to make that trip one of the fonder golf memories I have.

BCrosby

« Reply #42 on: October 04, 2012, 01:32:54 PM »
It's good to hear Tommy's voice, even if through the interwebs. It's been too long. I hope he will rejoin us here someday.

Bob

Jim Eder

« Reply #43 on: October 04, 2012, 04:04:54 PM »
Thank you Ran and Tommy for one tremendously excellent piece. It left me hoping that there is a part II and III and IV and................. It was informative in so many different ways.

Tommy is incredibly knowledgeable and a truly nice and great guy and I count myself extremely fortunate to have gotten to know him. He has been patient and has taught me a lot and has helped me in many ways. It is a privilege to know him. I am so glad that others have had a chance to be exposed to his vast knowledge.

Very well done guys!!!

JC Urbina

« Reply #44 on: October 04, 2012, 11:05:45 PM »
Ran,

A great interview from a very passionate man.  Tommy has helped me on numerous occasions and I am grateful for his knowledge of the game and the architecture that comes with.

After reading some of his articles and the photo's that accompanied the interview you can now understand why he looks at a golf course much differently then 99% of the golfers in the U.S. 

I know why Gil took the time to thank Tommy for his contributions and if you had a chance to see his visualizations on some of the work he has done for me you can better understand why he just doesn't look at a green or bunker in the same way we do.

Tommy doesn't look at a object as it is, he looks at it for what it could be.

Tiger_Bernhardt

« Reply #45 on: October 07, 2012, 05:27:29 PM »
A wonderful introduction and comments by many. Passion and honest love of architecture are the things I think of when i think of Tommy. I am so glad I got to be friends with him.

John Mayhugh

« Reply #46 on: October 14, 2012, 10:54:39 PM »
Thanks to Tommy & Ran for a really good interview. 

That photo of the bunker on the 15th at Westward Ho! always makes me smile.  I love looking through British Golf Links.  I'm not sure it's really a great architecture book, but it's certainly a fantastic guide to how golf courses once looked.  I'm so glad Wexler made it available to all. It's a favorite of mine as well.

Chris Buie

« Reply #47 on: October 16, 2012, 10:27:02 PM »
What do you think is the definition of a great golfer? The guy who gets it in the hole in the fewest strokes?
That's not it.
Tommy Naccarato is a great golfer.

Mac Plumart

« Reply #48 on: February 08, 2013, 09:52:15 PM »
Bump

Reading Tommy is crucial for any student of the game. He's comments on bunkers and hazards in this piece are excellent.
Sportsman/Adventure loving golfer.

Steve Lang

« Reply #49 on: February 10, 2013, 01:58:36 PM »
 8) and his comments/arguments with Jeff Brauer on modern drainage are...??
Inverness (Toledo, OH) cathedral clock inscription: "God measures men by what they are. Not what they in wealth possess.  That vibrant message chimes afar.
The voice of Inverness"

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back