News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Adam Lawrence

Re: Course closed - again!
« Reply #25 on: September 26, 2012, 04:20:29 PM »
I was at Askernish at the beginning of June, and the course was terrifyingly dry for that early in the summer (bearing in mind they have no irrigation other than what comes out of the sky). I believe mother nature sorted herself out in the ensuing weeks, but it's not normal to go to the Hebrides at any time and hear they have not had a drop of rain for more than two months. Very odd year.
Adam Lawrence

Editor, Golf Course Architecture
www.golfcoursearchitecture.net

Principal, Oxford Golf Consulting
www.oxfordgolfconsulting.com

Author, 'More Enduring Than Brass: a biography of Harry Colt' (forthcoming).

Short words are best, and the old words, when short, are the best of all.

Bryan Izatt

« Reply #26 on: September 26, 2012, 04:32:33 PM »
Mark,

OT, I stayed in Wilmslow the night before flying back to Canada from the recent BUDA Cup, and it only rained a bit.  I had dinner at an Indian restaurant named Eastern Revive and thought it was very good.  Worth a return visit if I come through Manchester again.  Is it one of the better ones in town?

Sean,

I thought Silloth and Formby still played pretty firm despite all the rains.  Nothing like 2006 in Scotland obviously, but so much different from over here in Canada when it rains.

Adam,

No need for terror, the links turf seems to recover nicely from drying out in droughts.

Mark_Rowlinson

« Reply #27 on: September 27, 2012, 05:42:57 AM »
Bryan, next time you pass through Wilmslow dine with us at home - better than any restaurant in town and the wine cellar is decently stocked.

Duncan Cheslett

« Reply #28 on: September 28, 2012, 02:22:15 AM »

The course has been closed for two days and looks unlikely to re-open for a day or two yet. I’m told no courses are open in Cheshire today, and there are over 100 courses in the county.

Reddish Vale didn't close this week. I played 12 holes on Wednesday afternoon ('today' in Mark's post) and but for a couple of pop-up lakes the ground was fine.

The pro told me however, that not one member or visitor turned up to play on Monday or Tuesday, even though the course was open. Given the fortitude and determination of golfers, that gives a clear indication of the weather conditions. It literally didn't stop raining from Sunday afternoon until Wednesday morning; nor did the skies give any glimmer of hope that it might do.
« Last Edit: September 28, 2012, 02:24:41 AM by Duncan Cheslett »

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back