News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Jason Topp

Pinehurst Trip Advice
« on: September 25, 2012, 01:57:17 AM »
I am organizing a trip for 16 work related individuals at Pinehurst next September and would love your advice.

Format is 18 in the afternoon Thursday, 36 on Friday, 36 on Saturday.  We play a different game each round with the final day culminating in a Ryder Cup event (four balls in the morning and single matches in the afternoon).  Group ranges from scratch to a couple of guys that this weekend is their only golf of the year.  Carts are pretty much mandatory for this group.  Some are price sensitive and others want to play the best courses.  Past destinations have included Kiawah, St George, Barton Creek, Santa Fe, Scottsdale, Palm Springs and Las Vegas.  I want the best possible golf experience and nice accommodations for under a thousand bucks per person.  Most will want their own room but some may double up.

My thought is - go with a package through one of the local outfits for the event and play something like Dormie Club; Tobacco Road and Mid Pines/Pine Needles combo for the Ryder Cup.  Those that want to play Number 2 can either do so before or after the main event and stay at the resort either on Wednesday or Saturday night.

I used Tobacco Road Travel once before and was very happy with the outfit.  Is that the group to go with?

Does anyone have suggested tweaks to the course lineup?

Recommendations on accommodations?  I am thinking we will stay at some villas the travel group offers.  Anyone know how good they are?  For reference, these guys stayed at the Westin last week so the accommodations need to be decent.  We stayed at Villas at Kiawah and they worked well.

I need to arrange three dinners with the final place being a good steak restaurant with a good wine list. Ideally the dinners would take place in a separate room because these guys get a bit loud and dinner is paid for through $5 fines and the fining process gets contentious at times.  Any recommendations on that front?

Thanks for any suggestions.  Feel free to pm or email me if you prefer not to post.

Brad Tufts

Re: Pinehurst Trip Advice
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2012, 03:20:41 AM »
Paging Simper...please pick up the white courtesy phone.
So I jump ship in Hong Kong....

Cory Lewis

« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2012, 05:55:35 AM »
Your visiting my neck of the woods and you didn't send me an email?  WTF?  In addition to villas, we have 2 houses for rent on property at Little River if that is the type of thing you guys are interested in.
Instagram: @2000golfcourses
http://2000golfcourses.blogspot.com

Jason Thurman

« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2012, 08:34:15 AM »
I went through Tobacco Road golf and was very happy with them.
"There will always be haters. That’s just the way it is. Hating dudes marry hating women and have hating ass kids." - Evan Turner

Some of y'all have never been called out in bold green font and it really shows.

PCCraig

« Reply #4 on: September 25, 2012, 08:52:40 AM »
Jason,

If it's a group of all guys stay at the Pine Crest Inn. It's pretty great and has far more character than a random villa.

As for the course line-up, I would do Dormie the first day (18), Mid Pines on Friday morning which is a nice short course that won't beat you up too much when you're hungover, Pine Needles on Friday afternoon, and split the remaining rounds at Tobacco Road and #2. Tobacco Road is easier to hit up on your way out of town though as it's a good deal out of town and on the way to the airport. It also could be worth reaching out to the fine folks at Forest Creek for a 36 hole day as well...with enough advance notice they might be able to help out.

As far as nightlife goes, nearby Southern Pines is the way to go. As for a big group dinner try Ashten's in Southern Pines(http://www.ashtens.com/). Good food and they have a private room that might fit 16. There is also a very fun pub/bar on site for a pre-dinner cocktail. There are a bunch of very fun bars and pubs within a couple blocks of Ashten's in downtown Southern Pines. Southern Pines is a quick 20min cab/van ride from Pinehurst. In Pinehurst the nightlife isn't quite as hopping but the Pine Crest Inn is fun on Friday nights with live music.

And I'll give my token recommendation for breakfast at the Pinehurst Track every morning before golf:
H.P.S.

Tom ORourke

« Reply #5 on: September 25, 2012, 09:12:49 AM »
We did an 8 man group 2 years ago. We did the villas at Talamore, and they were fine. I have been told that the ones at Mid-South are a little nicer, but ours were fairly new, very clean, kitchen, good size living room, etc. There is a decent pub-type place in town called Dugan's that is okay for a light dinner.
We did 36 at TR as it is a bit outside of town. Pine Needles and Mid Pines are across the street from each other so they work for convenience. I feel that the National, Talamore, and Mid-South are all "newer" type courses that you can play anywhere. Not bad courses, but not quite the charm of the Ross courses. I liked Southern Pines for that reason. You can't really go too wrong down there so have fun.

Bill_McBride

« Reply #6 on: September 25, 2012, 09:18:27 AM »
Another vote for the Pinecrest Inn.  It's very "golfy."

Just a thought, your guys who don't play much might not survive 36 at Tobacco Road.   ;D

Jason Topp

« Reply #7 on: September 25, 2012, 09:21:27 AM »
Another vote for the Pinecrest Inn.  It's very "golfy."

Just a thought, your guys who don't play much might not survive 36 at Tobacco Road.   ;D

They survived 105 degree hear at We Ko Pa last weekend so I think they will be OK.

Craig Disher

« Reply #8 on: September 25, 2012, 10:34:45 AM »
Jason,
The courses in the area have been discussed so often that I think you have more info than you need. Two points - you can probably arrange play on #2 without staying at the resort and Dormie Club might be unavailable through the packagers next year. Still, there is plenty of quality to choose from.

I've hosted large groups of friends for many years and we've stayed in the condos (2 and 3 brs, often adjacent) surrounding #3 and #5 at the resort. They were comfortable, private, and depending on how many will share a room can be a great value; even with singles, they are still a bargain. I used the people at Legacy Golf (http://www.legacygolftravel.com/). They have a long list of condos and reserving this far in advance you could arrange for your entire group to stay in adjacent units. They can also arrange all golf - except at the resort.

For the final dinner, try the Ironwood Cafe. They don't have a private room but I've eaten there in a large group. They placed us in a corner where we had some privacy and less ability to irritate others. They also offer patio dining. The food is excellent - good steaks - and they have an extensive wine list.
« Last Edit: September 25, 2012, 11:05:05 AM by Craig Disher »

Jud_T

« Reply #9 on: September 25, 2012, 10:39:35 AM »
If these guys are ambulatory, not including #2 in the event seems silly. 
Golf is a game. We play it. Somewhere along the way we took the fun out of it and charged a premium to be punished.- - Ron Sirak

Lester George

« Reply #10 on: September 25, 2012, 10:58:06 AM »
Jason,

Ballyhack on the way down or back.  Just sayin'.

Lester

JimFatsi

« Reply #11 on: September 25, 2012, 11:00:52 AM »
Of all the Pinehurst course see if you can play #4, (and of course #2 at least once). On my list, #4 is second, followed by 7 and 8.  Does anyone know what if any progress there is on #9 and #10? I know they have packages that have you play #1 and others.  I would only play #2, #4, #7, #8 and skip the rest

Dinner in the 1895 room is recommended, the breakfast at the Carolina Inn is the best breakfast buffet!  Forest Creek. (private) is must play if you can get on, maybe have your pro call to see if they do outside play (I doubt it for that size of a group but you never know).

If you elect to stay at Pinehurst the villas are the way to go, 4 bedrooms shared by a common living room, great fun!.

hhuffines

« Reply #12 on: September 25, 2012, 11:04:55 AM »
The Track is great and I recommend Beefeaters in So. Pines too.  Sadly, Clarence is no longer providing music at the Pinecrest but maybe he will be back by then.  Ask em to let your group chip in the second dinning area if the lobby is too crowded...

Bill_McBride

« Reply #13 on: September 25, 2012, 11:13:37 AM »
Jason,

Ballyhack on the way down or back.  Just sayin'.

Lester

Maybe Jason can figure out a way to lock himself out of his room!

Lester George

« Reply #14 on: September 25, 2012, 11:16:42 AM »
Bill,

I hadn't heard that one, but I'll bet it is good.

Lester

Jason Topp

« Reply #15 on: September 25, 2012, 11:23:28 AM »
Bill,

I hadn't heard that one, but I'll bet it is good.

Lester

Not that great. The battery in the door lock died. It was the morning of the rain out.

Tom Fagerli

« Reply #16 on: September 25, 2012, 11:49:52 AM »
Sept is a great time for Pinehurst. I was there this past weekend and nobody seemed to be swamped. I stayed at Needles and it was crowded. Had breakfast at Pinecrest Inn Sat and they only had 25 in the house. Oct is another story though.
I would suggest staying at Pine Needles or MidPines. You want to play there anyway so why stay somewhere you aren't staying? This would give the guys a range to use too if they were inclined. Mulitple bars, food top rate, pro staff beyond compare.
You have a good handle on the courses. I would suggest No 8 but word is they are going to but out Champion or MiniVerde next summer. Rumor has it that MidPines is going to do the same but not sure if a final decision has been made on that. Of course by Sept the greens should be ready to go.
Now to the important stuff- food! By all means go to Ironwood on Midland Rd. I love that place. I ate at Southern Prime Friday night and I was not impressed. 195 in S Pines is awesome and they might have a room to use for a group. Chef at 195 loves curry. Curts Cucina is fabulous Italian at nice prices. I recommend it wholeheartedly.
Had breakfast Sat at the Pinecrest and it was great and $7! If you decide to stay at Pinecrest you can't go wrong either. Great place.
The Racetrack is wonderful too as is Sizzling Steak and Eggs (formerly Egg) on Hwy1.

Carl Rogers

« Reply #17 on: September 25, 2012, 12:15:29 PM »
played w/ Scott Weersing & friend 2 weekends ago in the area.  played in this order Mid Pines, Legacy & Tobacco Road.

Mid Pines is playable and good for all levels.  grows on you in a good way.

Legacy is an 80's Nicklaus course and not recommended ... too repetitive, but greens in excellent condition

TR had the greens punched 10 days to 2 weeks earlier and the putting was difficult.  Not one of scared much less made a putt over 6 feet.  TR cannot be recommended for the casual golfer, every shot is a potential lost ball, high intimidation factor!

We ate at a local barbeque place adjacent to a small airport ... cannot remeber the name ... was good though.
I decline to accept the end of man. ... William Faulkner

Cory Lewis

« Reply #18 on: September 25, 2012, 12:17:41 PM »
We ate at a local barbeque place adjacent to a small airport ... cannot remeber the name ... was good though.
That would be the Pik-N-Pig.  Best BBQ in NC.  My wife and I only allow ourselves a trip there twice a month otherwise we might have some issues.
« Last Edit: September 25, 2012, 04:30:32 PM by Cory Lewis »
Instagram: @2000golfcourses
http://2000golfcourses.blogspot.com

Tom Fagerli

« Reply #19 on: September 25, 2012, 03:58:03 PM »
That would be the Pik-N-Pig.  Best BBQ in NC.  My wife and I only allow ourselves a trip there two a month otherwise we might have some issues.

Now Cory- you know saying someplace is the best BBQ in NC is just looking for a rumble! :) Pik N Pig is quite good and the desserts are unbelievably cheap and good! Great place.

Chris Buie

« Reply #20 on: September 25, 2012, 04:28:02 PM »
If you go to Maine you're going to want to eat lobster. If you go to Texas you're going to want to eat Mexican. If you come to N.C. and you have the time you're going to want to try the BBQ.
Pik-n-Pig is probably a 15-20 drive from Pinehurst. Is it worth it? If you're in the mood for that sort of thing and have the time I would say definitely. You could stop by on the way back from Tobacco Road actually, if you play there. It has an authentic and unique personality - properly rustic. And like Cory says the BBQ is fantastic. They roast it the right way - all night every night over hickory coals.
Many of the most prominent families in the area get them to cater if that tells you anything.
http://www.pik-n-pig.com/piknpig.html

Jud_T

« Reply #21 on: September 26, 2012, 07:14:29 AM »
What kind of BBQ sauce is indigenous to NC?
« Last Edit: September 26, 2012, 08:12:07 AM by Jud Tigerman »
Golf is a game. We play it. Somewhere along the way we took the fun out of it and charged a premium to be punished.- - Ron Sirak

Carl Nichols

« Reply #22 on: September 26, 2012, 08:44:59 AM »
Can one play #2 as a non-resort guest and still have enough of the $1,000 budget to stay 3 nights and play 4 other rounds?

PCCraig

« Reply #23 on: September 26, 2012, 08:54:12 AM »
Can one play #2 as a non-resort guest and still have enough of the $1,000 budget to stay 3 nights and play 4 other rounds?

Carl,

I would say that depends on the time of year that you visit. High Summer and Winter are better for lower rates.
H.P.S.

Tommy Williamsen

« Reply #24 on: September 26, 2012, 08:54:32 AM »
Jason, I usually book a condo through Pinehurst Resort and eat dinner at the Carolina Hotel. It gives you a nice roomy place to stay, a decent place to eat,  and cheaper access to the courses at the resort. 
Where there is no love, put love; there you will find love.
St. John of the Cross

"Deep within your soul-space is a magnificent cathedral where you are sweet beyond telling." Rumi

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back