News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Jonathan Decker

Philly Golf late October
« on: September 21, 2012, 04:18:45 PM »
GCAers,

Besides the obvious heavy hitters in Philadelphia (Merion, Aronimink, Pine Valley), I was looking for some suggestions on possible off the radar gems in the Philadelphia area.

A friend and I will be in Philadelphia from October 23rd-October 26th, with the idea to play as many interesting and great courses as possible.  No preference on public or private, just as long as they are fun and interesting layouts.

Jonathan

Sam Morrow

Re: Philly Golf late October
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2012, 05:51:38 PM »
I enjoyed Glen Mills, it's a Bobby Weed with lots of quirk.

JESII

« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2012, 06:02:02 PM »
Not sure what part of town you're thinking, but LuLu should be on your list.

Chris DeNigris

« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2012, 06:29:30 PM »
Not sure what part of town you're thinking, but LuLu should be on your list.

No matter what part of town you're thinking about- LuLu should be on your list  :)

Joe Bausch

« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2012, 06:40:47 PM »
I enjoyed Glen Mills, it's a Bobby Weed with lots of quirk.

Very good rec Sam.

Another excellent course is White Manor, a Bobby Weed re-do of a Gordon layout.

And I'll 3rd the LuLu rec.  :)
@jwbausch (for new photo albums)
The site for the Cobb's Creek project:  https://cobbscreek.org/
Nearly all Delaware Valley golf courses in photo albums: Bausch Collection

Dan Herrmann

« Reply #5 on: September 21, 2012, 10:07:50 PM »
If you can get on, Rolling Green is fantastic; Merion West is tremendously fun.    I've heard that French Creek has some pretty good bones :)

J_ Crisham

« Reply #6 on: September 21, 2012, 10:17:05 PM »
Jonathan , head west of Philly 1hr to Lancaster CC- would be top 4 if in Philly proper- its that good. Also Huntingdon Valley is very strong , Philly CC, Stonewall is on the way to LCC. Gulph Mills is interesting with a great short hole , and some very solid par4's. Go north to Saucon Valley. If you need any more help shoot me an email. Also , Baltimore CC is only 2 hrs away, great old Tilly track.

Sam Morrow

« Reply #7 on: September 21, 2012, 11:05:42 PM »
Jonathan , head west of Philly 1hr to Lancaster CC- would be top 4 if in Philly proper- its that good. Also Huntingdon Valley is very strong , Philly CC, Stonewall is on the way to LCC. Gulph Mills is interesting with a great short hole , and some very solid par4's. Go north to Saucon Valley. If you need any more help shoot me an email. Also , Baltimore CC is only 2 hrs away, great old Tilly track.

I want to see Huntingdon Valley since the tree clearing they were working on.

Bill Shotzbarger

« Reply #8 on: September 22, 2012, 07:44:25 PM »

I wish I had your connections...I belong to a decent course in Philly and have never played Lancaster, Saucon or GMGC!

Jonathan, I just wrote you an email.
« Last Edit: September 22, 2012, 07:47:28 PM by Bill Shotzbarger »

Mark McKeever

« Reply #9 on: September 23, 2012, 09:56:38 AM »
If you come up to play Saucon, come up to play Schuylkill while youre up this way.  Its a little known Ross with some awesome greens!

Mark
Best MGA showers - Bayonne

"Dude, he's a total d***"

Dan Herrmann

« Reply #10 on: September 23, 2012, 11:07:43 AM »
I'll second Schuylkill.  Just be prepared to see putts break uphill!

Kris Shreiner

« Reply #11 on: September 24, 2012, 06:56:39 AM »
Cobbs Creek Olde should be part of any golf trip to Philly unless you're on the top private tour or a golf snob. LuLu is a little gem. The privates mentioned are all worthy of a look. Glen Mills is o.k., but not high on my list as it is tight, cartball golf with plenty of goofy-golf thrown in. I'm a fan of Bobby Weed...this is a tough piece of ground that probably shouldn't have been a golf course. It does serve a great purpose in giving at-risk youth an opportunity to learn about golf/maintanence and plenty of folks seem to like it enough for it to make some money. IM me and we can set something up.

Cheers,
Kris 8)
"I said in a talk at the Dunhill Tournament in St. Andrews a few years back that I thought any of the caddies I'd had that week would probably make a good golf course architect. We all want to ask golfers of all abilities to get more out of their games -caddies do that for a living." T.Doak

Sam Morrow

« Reply #12 on: September 24, 2012, 10:54:35 AM »
Kris,

Why do you say Glen Mills is cart ball golf? I found it an easy walk and saw many others walking the day I was there.

mike_malone

« Reply #13 on: September 24, 2012, 11:10:06 AM »
 I think the thing about Philly golf is the people not the courses. Play with gcaers and all will be fine.
AKA Mayday

Mike Viscusi

« Reply #14 on: September 24, 2012, 11:50:51 AM »
I agree Sam. There are a few spots where there's a bit of a walk from green to tee, but overall it's very doable. I take bigger issue with calling Glen Mills "tight".  By my count 9 of the 13 Par 4's/5's have fairways in which the landing zone is at least 40 yards wide (and as wide as 60+ yards on a couple holes).  Two of the holes which have LZ's of around 30 yards are potentially driveable par 4's (8 and 12).  

I'm sure the tight comment comes entirely from #11/17.  Those holes are tight but I've never understood the uproar over them.  Obviously width is something nearly everyone here loves but the occasional tight hole adds variety and gets you a little bit tight over the tee ball and I'm fine with that.  You just need to hit an iron off the tee at 11 (about 215 from the tips or 190 from the regular tees) to its widest point, which is about 28 yards wide.  That leaves an approach of 135-155 depending on the pin.  17 is over 30 yards wide in the landing zone and it's a very reachable par 5 (485 from the tips), so that's a fair trade off in my opinion.  Both holes are very fair to me.

The land has a tough bottleneck area in which Weed had to get to the back section of the property but I think he handled it well.  Aside from that I find the rest of the land to be fantastic and very suitable for golf.

Glen Mills and Lulu are my top two picks for publicly-accessible courses.

Bill Crane

« Reply #15 on: September 24, 2012, 01:01:36 PM »
Additional thought, public wise Atlantic City Country Club is well worth the drive, particularly at that time of year.

Private Coore and Crenshaw - Hidden Creek nearby would be a great pairing.

rjsimper

« Reply #16 on: September 24, 2012, 01:17:26 PM »
Applebrook
Galloway

Scotland Run is supposed to be okay for a public...have not played so can't endorse, but I have heard it's a good option.

Kris Shreiner

« Reply #17 on: September 25, 2012, 06:36:32 AM »
Sam and Mike,

You can walk it, but I wouldn't call it easy by any stretch and out of a cart I felt it a bit of a billy goat effort. Perhaps I should have walked it. As we used to say when I looped at Pebble Beach..."you want to walk Pebble...take a cart!  ;D "

Cheers,
Kris 8)
"I said in a talk at the Dunhill Tournament in St. Andrews a few years back that I thought any of the caddies I'd had that week would probably make a good golf course architect. We all want to ask golfers of all abilities to get more out of their games -caddies do that for a living." T.Doak

Jonathan Decker

« Reply #18 on: September 25, 2012, 09:01:04 PM »
Gentlemen,

Thank you for the insights and I appreciate the valuable information.  Some of these courses may come in handy when trying to set the line up for the day.  Lulu may have to be considered based on the amount discussion it generates on GCA.

Any thoughts on the Philly Cricket Club and either of their two eighteen hole courses.

Cheers,

Jonathan

Sam Morrow

« Reply #19 on: September 25, 2012, 10:53:42 PM »
Sam and Mike,

You can walk it, but I wouldn't call it easy by any stretch and out of a cart I felt it a bit of a billy goat effort. Perhaps I should have walked it. As we used to say when I looped at Pebble Beach..."you want to walk Pebble...take a cart!  ;D "

Cheers,
Kris 8)

Very surprised, I'm fat and fat and I found it an easy enough walk.

Brian Hilko

« Reply #20 on: September 27, 2012, 01:56:37 AM »
We will be trying to see a lot of Flynn work on this trip since there is very little here in Chicago. If you had to choose four Flynn gems what would they be? The consensus from previous threads seems to be Lancaster, Huntington, Philly cc, and Rolling Green. Is Mani's outside the top 4? My boss worked at Mani's and says we would be missing out by not playing there. Everything I have read on here seems to say the tree growth is out of control and the greens are a step below the 4 I mentioned above. Thanks again for all the fantastic feedback.

Down with the brown

Kris Shreiner

« Reply #21 on: September 27, 2012, 06:41:32 AM »
Brian H.,

Manni's is WELL WORTH a go. While they have some tree issues, I certainly wouldn't characterize them as out of control. I played there late last Fall and didn't feel constricted by tree growth(and our company oftens takes them down for a living). The course was quite firm and the greens were screaming fast. This preasentation can be challenging there, as the course has many holes in a valley setting. That said, it is usually in fine condition and if the rains have been gentle, can provide some wonderful play and approach the quality of the other four Flynn courses you have on the docket.
IM me your contact details and we can see what might work in to your schedule.

Jonathan,

Philadelphia Cricket, as a club, is about as well-run as any in the Philly area. They are progressive where they should be, and have spent serious money to re-invest in their courses and property assets. Dan, the superintendent, is a sharp guy who really brings it when it comes to maintaining and improving the presentation(s) on the courses. The Flourtown 18 and St. Martin's 9 holer have some great GCA, with work ongoing to refine and reveal more of the classic bones of each. A day there would be time well spent. Hope that helps.

Cheers,

Kris 8)

mike_malone

« Reply #22 on: September 27, 2012, 11:07:26 AM »
 If I had to restrict myself to 4 I would replace PCC with Mannies. I think 5 par threes makes courses more fun to play.
AKA Mayday

Jason Mandel

« Reply #23 on: September 27, 2012, 11:24:08 AM »
Mannny's is definitely worth seeking out. They have done extensive tree removal over the past 2-3 years and the vistas are absolutely fabulous. Some of the green sites are really incredible and as Mike mentioned the par 3's are awesome.

HVCC and Manny's are within 15 minutes of each other and 36 is definitely doable.

You learn more about a man on a golf course than anywhere else

contact info: jasonymandel@gmail.com

Brian Hilko

« Reply #24 on: September 28, 2012, 12:02:30 AM »
Thank you for all the great responses. We are really looking forward to cheese steaks and some great Philly golf! Hopefully the weather holds up through October.

Brian

Down with the brown

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back