News:

Welcome to the Golf Club Atlas Discussion Group!

Please note, each user is approved by the Golf Club Atlas editorial staff. For any new inquiries, please contact us and we will be in contact.

Ulrich Mayring

Worst Golf Course Promotion ever
« on: September 17, 2012, 05:58:16 PM »
Just stumbled across this gem of a promotional video for the Son Vida golf course on Mallorca, Spain. I actually played that course and can guarantee you this is an absolutely accurate description:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2haefONGWuA&feature=relmfu

Ulrich
Golf Course Exposé (300+ courses reviewed), Golf CV (how I keep track of 'em)

Kalen Braley

Re: Worst Golf Course Promotion ever
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2012, 07:43:36 PM »
More awesome promotional stuff..

....too bad they just didn't keep it to the music and the awesome chopper shots.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fLlJbAv6eaY&feature=related

"This is the only golf course in the world, that you can see the sea from every hole"....I guess he hasn't played Chambers Bay.

Carl Johnson

« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2012, 07:48:47 PM »
Great parody.  Super cool.  I love it.

David Harshbarger

« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2012, 07:51:52 PM »
"The 5th hole provides a minimum of relaxation."

"The 9th is something altogether different. The landing narrows for the average hitter to a mere 20m. And those that miss this target wind up right, in a deep valley planted with 20 trees.  Few escape this thicket without suffering some punishment.  Many have lost their nerve here."

"the 12th, a par 3, requires a stop shot, as the land falls away front and back. Players who fail that can at least enjoy the view, which is above par."

At least you'll get a short glimpse into the lives of the rich and famous.
The trouble with modern equipment and distance—and I don't see anyone pointing this out—is that it robs from the player's experience. - Mickey Wright

Ulrich Mayring

« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2012, 08:06:41 PM »
"It is the horticulture and the bordering five star hotel Arabella that provide visual consolation for all those who are unsuccessful in meeting the challenge."

Incredible. Someone got paid for that.

Ulrich
« Last Edit: September 17, 2012, 08:08:46 PM by Ulrich Mayring »
Golf Course Exposé (300+ courses reviewed), Golf CV (how I keep track of 'em)

David Harshbarger

« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2012, 08:35:23 PM »
"It is the horticulture and the bordering five star hotel Arabella that provide visual consolation for all those who are unsuccessful in meeting the challenge."

Incredible. Someone got paid for that.

Ulrich

Who can ever forget...the 18th...
The trouble with modern equipment and distance—and I don't see anyone pointing this out—is that it robs from the player's experience. - Mickey Wright

Brad Klein

« Reply #6 on: September 17, 2012, 09:47:27 PM »
This is actually a very sophisticated video promotion that works on two levels simultaneously. The overt message is that the course is luxurious, fabulous, wonderful, elitist. The not so subtle covert message, evident repeatedly in its depiction of difficulty, golfers getting stuck, wanting to tear up their scorecards, and the triumph of "sizzle over steak," is that the layout is actually an unplayable collection of garbage holes, with the front nine absurdly severe and narrow and the back nine flat and overly squeezed with hazards. i think it's a model for a video that deconstructs itself. Of course it might just be the product of a writer who has never played golf, never even seen a golf course before, and yet knows that something is deeply wrong with the place.

David Davis

« Reply #7 on: September 18, 2012, 10:48:59 AM »
I'm taking notes which will help me explain golf course architecture to all of you in the future:

My favorite:

The result an exciting symbiosis between a traditional course design and new and contemporary design principles.

Now why haven't any of you other aspiring or accomplished golf course architects thought of that? It seems so simple yet it's been right there in front of you the whole time.

Ulrich, would you say the narrator is German?

In this way the little white companion can often break away without your scorecard immediately going into minus. A key element to dream layouts.

Sharing the greatest experiences in golf.

IG: @top100golftraveler
www.lockharttravelclub.com

Ryan Kelly

« Reply #8 on: September 18, 2012, 11:58:13 AM »
Brad, very well said.  I could only last 52 seconds into it.

Carl Nichols

« Reply #9 on: September 18, 2012, 02:12:23 PM »
Sounds like someone wrote the script in Spanish and then used Google to translate it . . .

Those are some serious hacks.

Stephen Davis

« Reply #10 on: September 18, 2012, 02:22:57 PM »

My favorite:

The result an exciting symbiosis between a traditional course design and new and contemporary design principles.

Translation: This thing is a mutt and a mess!

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back