News:

Welcome to the Golf Club Atlas Discussion Group!

Please note, each user is approved by the Golf Club Atlas editorial staff. For any new inquiries, please contact us and we will be in contact.

Anthony Butler

My friend's review of Coyote Creek in Gilroy. CA
« on: September 15, 2012, 10:39:42 PM »
Despite the 4.5 stars it received from Golf Digest, he felt compelled to post this 'no word' review on Facebook as he was leaving the course:

I have not played there but feel free to discuss....
Next!

Joe_Tucholski

Re: My friend's review of Coyote Creek in Gilroy. CA
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2012, 01:27:42 AM »
I played the tournament course this morning with my wife.  Living in Monterey I'd driven by the course countless times, as you drive through the center of the course on 101 just south of San Jose (wouldn't call it Gilroy), and never stopped to play.

The course certainly isn't one that will get love here.

Cart only course (told I couldn't walk when I asked) due to long distances between green and tee.  Nothing positive about this type of routing.  You could easily tee off on the wrong hole multiple times in the round as you frequently pass by multiple tees before turning awkwardly to the next hole.  The highway sounds are present on the front nine with the large metal power lines humming above.  I was forced into laying up more than I would have liked due to creek crossings (which were environmentally sensitive areas due to endangered species).

As far as saying something positive I thought some of the greens looked like they would have been fun (I didn't really get to experience how well they worked as the greens were punched and sanded recently).
« Last Edit: September 16, 2012, 02:21:57 AM by Joe_Tucholski »

astavrides

Re: My friend's review of Coyote Creek in Gilroy. CA New
« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2012, 10:27:49 AM »
« Last Edit: December 01, 2012, 09:04:54 PM by astavrides »

Joel_Stewart

« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2012, 12:11:53 PM »
It's a 36 hole facility about 30 minutes south of San Jose on the way to Monterey.  The Valley course is one of the worst courses in California and has to go down as one of Nicklaus worst courses. 

It has no redeeming features what so ever.  Nicklaus must have accepted this rebuild in order to get the bid to build the tournament course.

It is dead flat, the mounding is awful, the routing is confusing and it's an awful way to spend the day.  Nuff said.

Mike Benham

« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2012, 12:21:43 PM »
The Valley course is on the site of the old Riverside Golf Course, I would say about 60-70% of the routing/holes of Riverside was incorporated into The Valley, the renovation / construction of the tournament course was completed in 1999 I believe.

The old Riverside was a staple for any Santa Clara University golfing student, cheap, windy and it played firm and fast.
"... and I liked the guy ..."

astavrides

« Reply #5 on: September 16, 2012, 06:27:23 PM »
« Last Edit: December 01, 2012, 09:02:51 PM by astavrides »

Bill_McBride

« Reply #6 on: September 16, 2012, 07:38:02 PM »
I liked the old Riverside course.   Never heard a positive thing about the 36-hole redo. 

Howard Riefs

« Reply #7 on: September 17, 2012, 07:11:16 AM »
If it's anything like driving past Gilroy on 101, does the course feature the extra challenge of four hours of garlic smell?
"Golf combines two favorite American pastimes: Taking long walks and hitting things with a stick."  ~P.J. O'Rourke

astavrides

« Reply #8 on: September 17, 2012, 11:00:04 AM »
« Last Edit: December 01, 2012, 09:03:32 PM by astavrides »

Kalen Braley

« Reply #9 on: September 17, 2012, 02:59:30 PM »
I know its my own issue and I'm being nitpicky..

...but the course isn't in Gilroy, its over 15 miles away from there actually and its in San Jose.

P.S.  That being said, I've never stopped to play it but the holes to the east of the freeway always looked interesting.

astavrides

« Reply #10 on: September 17, 2012, 04:17:16 PM »
« Last Edit: December 01, 2012, 09:02:09 PM by astavrides »

Keith Doleshel

« Reply #11 on: September 17, 2012, 05:08:40 PM »
Astavrides,
Your description of those holes is pretty much spot on.  They are interesting, but pretty much unplayable when the wind kicks up, which occurs frequently out there.  I have played #3 as a four shotter before from the back tees, especially if I've missed the fairway or if its really blowing.  I actually like #4, I think its a good par 5, where the temptation to go for it is almost always there, especially if you hit a good drive.  Six is a solid par 4, but that green complex really doesn't fit in with the rest of the course, and you are correct about not knowing the extreme nature of the two tiers unless you have a perfect angle, which is difficult on a 440 yard hole. 

I am not overly enamored with the course, and can see why people criticize it.  However, it is hardly the monstrosity that is The Ranch, and there are plenty of worse ways to spend a day.  It is better than Eagle Ridge too, which I suppose isn't saying much either.  To say that either one of the courses on the Coyote Creek property are among the worst in California is quite a stretch.  It is, however, a good example of the mediocre, overpriced golf that is prevalent in the Bay Area.

Never did see the Senior Tour play out there when they hosted the Siebel Open.  I can imagine the players probably weren't really big fans of the Tournament Course.  Way to many hazards, environmental areas, and that fierce wind.  I believe Hale Irwin has the course record, which I have to assume was during the event.

Kalen Braley

« Reply #12 on: September 17, 2012, 07:32:01 PM »
Astra...its in the title!   ;)

I know i know, its a small thing in the big scheme of things.  Now maybe if the claim was Morgan Hill, it'd fly under the radar.

P.S.  Thank for the input on the easterly 9.  I doubt I'll ever make the effort to go see it should I find myself living in the bay area again, but its always nice to see eye candy when one is driving thru there.

Bill_McBride

« Reply #13 on: September 17, 2012, 08:27:11 PM »
I know its my own issue and I'm being nitpicky..

...but the course isn't in Gilroy, its over 15 miles away from there actually and its in San Jose.

P.S.  That being said, I've never stopped to play it but the holes to the east of the freeway always looked interesting.

I think it's actually in the town of.........(drum roll)...............Coyote!

37 years ago I organized a little tournament for my friends, clients and co-workers in San Francisco.  Called it "The Coyote Classic.".  I still have the sterling silver bowl I got for winning my own tournament!

astavrides

« Reply #14 on: September 17, 2012, 10:16:16 PM »
« Last Edit: December 01, 2012, 09:01:46 PM by astavrides »

Mark Provenzano

« Reply #15 on: September 18, 2012, 01:20:44 AM »
Astavrides,
Your description of those holes is pretty much spot on.  They are interesting, but pretty much unplayable when the wind kicks up, which occurs frequently out there.  I have played #3 as a four shotter before from the back tees, especially if I've missed the fairway or if its really blowing.  I actually like #4, I think its a good par 5, where the temptation to go for it is almost always there, especially if you hit a good drive.  Six is a solid par 4, but that green complex really doesn't fit in with the rest of the course, and you are correct about not knowing the extreme nature of the two tiers unless you have a perfect angle, which is difficult on a 440 yard hole.  

I am not overly enamored with the course, and can see why people criticize it.  However, it is hardly the monstrosity that is The Ranch, and there are plenty of worse ways to spend a day.  It is better than Eagle Ridge too, which I suppose isn't saying much either.  To say that either one of the courses on the Coyote Creek property are among the worst in California is quite a stretch.  It is, however, a good example of the mediocre, overpriced golf that is prevalent in the Bay Area.

Never did see the Senior Tour play out there when they hosted the Siebel Open.  I can imagine the players probably weren't really big fans of the Tournament Course.  Way to many hazards, environmental areas, and that fierce wind.  I believe Hale Irwin has the course record, which I have to assume was during the event.

Irwin played very well during the first Siebel Open. I watched him for a long time on the range a couple of days; you could throw a hula hoop around his groups of balls. Dialed in beyond anyone in a pretty good field.

The Tournament course was so unpopular with the players that they abandoned all of the east side holes and played a Composite course the next year.

Jack played in the Senior tournament the first year; a few wags were questioning whether it was the first time he had set foot on the property. My Jack highlight was when he pitched to the green on #3 (I think) and hit a greenside drain flush, causing the ball to fly over the green. He asked (jokingly) who would put a drain there anyway, when (of course) it was him!

In that price range and locale, I'd still go to Cinnabar Hills over either Coyote Creek course (you can see Coyote from Cinnabar, but not vice versa.) I'd rather play Eagle Ridge as well, and I'm not all that big a fan of either place.
« Last Edit: September 18, 2012, 12:29:30 PM by Mark Provenzano »

Dan King

« Reply #16 on: September 18, 2012, 12:16:34 PM »
I used to play Riverside a fair amount. It was close to home, cheap and rarely crowded. The problem with Coyote Creek is they took a decent enough course and butchered it. All those holes you walk by to get to the hole you will be playing, with Riverside, that would have been your next hole. It is a total mess. I also played the newer course there and was not impressed. Yes, it is better than The Ranch, but that is way to low of a bar for any course to be proud of.

Cheers,
Dan King
This place is like one of those hot-air hand dryers in toilets. It's a great idea and everybody uses it once, but never again. It takes too long.
 --David Feherty (on a golf course designed by Jack Nicklaus in Grand Cypress, Florida)

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back