News:

Welcome to the Golf Club Atlas Discussion Group!

Please note, each user is approved by the Golf Club Atlas editorial staff. For any new inquiries, please contact us and we will be in contact.

Mark_Rowlinson

Denham (Colt) Photo Tour
« on: September 14, 2012, 12:44:23 PM »
Denham is celebrating its centenary this year. I first played there in the 1970s and last played it in 1990 or thereabouts. I remembered most of it well, so individual are the holes. What I hadn’t remembered was quite how contoured some of the greens are. Last time I played it in winter and it was in surprisingly good condition with well-drained fairways and excellent greens. This year we have had a dreadfully wet summer, but you would not have known it at Denham, so fast-running were the fairways and firm and well-paced the greens. Nor was the rough as high or penal as I have experienced at many clubs this summer. There was some evidence that excessive rough had been harvested, but light, wispy rough had been retained beyond the first cut. All in all the course was in exemplary condition.

Harry Colt was responsible for the original design. How much it may have changed over the years I cannot say. Hopefully Paul Turner will see this and post some of his historic photographs of the course.

Denham Golf Club station still exists, even if trains only call there once an hour. I should say that the clubhouse is part 16th-century, very comfortable and most attractive. Lunch was one of the best I have ever had at a golf club. Denham is renowned not only for the quality of its food but also for its wine cellar. 

By today’s standards Denham is not a long course at 6,486 yards from the white tees. Visitors, however, get to play the course at much the same length, the yardage from the yellow tees being 6,207 yards for the same par of 70. As it happens the two par fives come in the back nine consecutively.

1.   366 yards par 4

First impressions may be a little disappointing, a flat, featureless fairway with a few newly-planted saplings and trees to concentrate the mind and a couple of fairway bunkers on the right.

The green is only visible after a decently long drive, for it lies below the level of the fairway, protected by bunkers on either side and a substantial back-to-front fall on the putting surface.

2.   378 yards par 4

You drive out over the approaches to the 1st green. That’s not a problem, but I think someone has tried to think of health and safety by planting young trees to the left of this drive, which also restrict play on the left of the 1st. But they force too much of the average golfer’s play to the right. There is a marker post on what may be the ideal line, but there is no margin for error for the longer handicap golfer. The better golfer can clear these trees at ease, leaving a decent angle in to the green – for now. When they are twenty years older these trees will be a nuisance, reducing the hole to a one-dimensional affair. 

I think I’m right in saying that this drive-bunker has been put in since last I played here. It seems fairly pointless as the rough around there is probably more punishing.

Beyond the bunker and in long-driving distance is a sunken area forming the inside angle of the dog-leg. Happily, it has been mown and shots from it towards the green should be straightforward.

As so often, holes appear so simple when you look back down the hole.

3.   414 yards par 4

This ought to be a straightforward hole. There is plenty of room on the drive. True, it is out of bounds on the practice ground on the left and, worse, on the airfield on the right. But this hole plays into the wind and any defect in the stroke is revealed. Not for nothing is this the 3rd stroke hole.

You are, really, just over the hedge from doing serious damage to a flying machine. Make sure your insurance is valid!

The approach is the least complicated on the course.

It was after my last visit to Denham that the last air-worthy Bristol Blenheim took off from Denham airfield, crashed on the course and killed its crew. 

4.   419 yards par 4

Little is revealed from the tee.

Rather more becomes visible as the marker post is reached, with two bunkers on the right only of relevance to shorter hitters. The fairway curves to the right as it descends gently towards the green.

A line of cross-bunkers interrupts the fairway 80 yards short of the green and the fairway beyond leans from right to left, affecting the approach shot. A handsome and enjoyable hole.

5.   206 yards par 3

A full carry onto the putting surface is required here as the ground immediately in front of the green throws the ball substantially to the left and a false front effectively prevents running the ball up and onto the green.

The flanking bunkers are situated either side of the false front, while the putting surface slopes against the natural line, from back left to front right.

6.   388 yards par 4

This is a demanding driving hole, the fairway leaning to the left as it curves to the right. A couple of bunkers threaten the left side of the fairway.

The run in to the green is challenging, with trees ever present on the right, yet the green angled slightly from right to left with two bunkers below the level of the putting surface on the left and another lurking on the right.

Once on the putting surface the fun is just beginning with several contradictory slopes on this big green, 40 yards from front to back. The right edge of the green is only 12 yards from out of bounds.

7.   442 yards par 4

With the fairway angled slightly to the left against the line of the drive and sloping from left to right the tee shot between bunkers is demanding.

This ditch crossing the fairway should not interfere with normal play. Note the succession of bunkers to come.

These cross-bunkers split the fairway some 100 yards short of the green.

It is possible to hide the pin round to the right behind the green-front bunker but there is a helpful left to right slope on the green.

8.   191 yards par 3

The long, thin green slopes seriously from left to right and is protected on the left by a line of bunkers, short of and alongside the putting surface. A little knob just before the green complicates matters and there is the threat of a ditch just off the green to the right.

9.   456 yards par 4

A blind tee shot begins this bruiser of a hole. The bushes on the right are some distance short of the marker post.

From the marker post there are still 242 yards remaining to reach the green.

The green is raised up sufficiently to repel tentative approach shots and the back-to-front slope makes long putting testing.

More to follow....

Mark_Rowlinson

Re: Denham (Colt) Photo Tour
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2012, 12:45:42 PM »
10.   395 yards par 4

Another marker post indicates the line from the 10th tee, the fairway plunging down with a pronounced left to right slope.

As the green is approached the slope becomes more pronounced and the little bunker 85 yards short lurks for those who would like to reach the green with a running approach. It appears as if the green is raised towards the back, but it isn’t! It is a devil of a green to read on first acquaintance.

11.   373 yards par 4

Yes, the fairway does slope as much as this from right to left! It is necessary to flirt with that right hand bunker from the tee. Shots finishing on the left will leave a blind shot to the green or even an impossible one with trees on the left cutting out the direct line.

The second shot tumbles down a steep hillside. This is all you see even after a decent tee shot.

You need to know in advance that the shallow green is set behind this assortment of green-front bunkers. Those who cannot reach the green with their second shot also need to know that the fairway, dramatically downhill, is mown only on the right side and that it slopes seriously from right to left, throwing the ball off into thickish rough.

12.   135 yards par 3

A very pretty short hole continues along the valley in which the previous green was set. The two prominent bunkers in front are actually 44 yards from the centre of the green but they caused us to club wrongly on both our rounds, coming up woefully short each time.

The white flag indicates that the hole is cut at the back of the green.

13.   509 yards par 5

After crossing a narrow lane we come to the 13th tee and a complete change in character. This is downland, almost heathland, and open to the wind. It is about 270 yards to the ridge in the distance.

Seven bunkers govern play over the final 80 yards and around the green.

14.   500 yards par 5

From the tee the eye is drawn to bunkers, three on the left, two on the right in driving distance. This hole plays at right-angles to the previous hole. While the wind was strongly across the line on the 13th it helped greatly down this hole.

Once again the green is approached through a procession of bunkers. As with the previous green, the putting surface is uncomplicated, although it does run off to the rear right.

15.   409 yards par 4

The tee shot is made to a fairway gradually unfolding to the right. Bunkers on either side should be of no consequence to longer hitters.

The approach is complicated by a depression over the final 80 yards or so, with a mischievous little bunker lurking just in front of it. The green is raised up and is on two levels with quite a small shelf at the back of the green on the higher level. I am reminded somewhat of the 4th at Ganton.

16.   137 yards par 3

From the medal tee this is a very tricky proposition, the tee shot being played across a bunker to a narrow green angled very much across the line. Yardage must be very accurate. The winter tee is to be found some way to the right, when the approach is made along the line of the green. There are sufficient borrows on the green to make long putting testing.

17.   356 yards par 4

Back over the lane, this is a cracking short par four with a downhill tee shot on which position is of importance – too far left and you cannot see the green because of trees on the line.

The pitch is inviting, uphill and over a number of bunkers to a green sloping down from back to front and from right to left.

18.   412 yards par 4

Running parallel with the 9th, the final tee shot is similar, uphill towards a marker post.

The run in to the green is littered with bunkers, two cross bunkers about 100 yards from the green, one on the right at 65 yards and no fewer than five bunkers in attendance around the green. The putting surface slopes down from back to front.

Jim Eder

« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2012, 01:37:21 PM »
Mark,

Thank you for doing another fantastic tour of what looks like an interesting golf course. A lot of interesting holes, shots, bunkers, movement, etc. I appreciate you highlighting these courses that so many of us do not know. Terrific photos.  Thanks again!!

Mark_Rowlinson

« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2012, 02:37:54 PM »
Jim,

I will get round to sending you lots of maps, plans etc when I tidy my office. If you could see it you would understand my sloth!

Mark.

Jim Eder

« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2012, 02:50:33 PM »
Thank you. I surely do understand, more than you can imagine.   :) Thanks, greatly appreciated.

Jim

Lynn_Shackelford

« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2012, 03:45:26 PM »
Played Denham last year after Buda.  Lou Duran and concluded that it is a solid golf course but nothing you would fly 4,000 miles to see.  I was disappointed, being a Colt fan, it seems that the bunkers and greens may have been redone over the years?  I thought the finish of 16-18 was interesting, and 10-12 was too, but holes in the middle round of the each 9 are a bit mundane.
The clubhouse is beautiful, best part of the place and it is pretty cool to have its on train stop.  I would recommend a pick-up over slogging one's bag from the train stop up to the clubhouse.
All in all a solid place, but a bit over priced for a visitor and not what I expect from a Colt course.

Mark, thanks for the tour, solid and the pictures are great.  Sorry we didn't get to visit more during your brief stay at Silloth.
It must be kept in mind that the elusive charm of the game suffers as soon as any successful method of standardization is allowed to creep in.  A golf course should never pretend to be, nor is intended to be, an infallible tribunal.
               Tom Simpson

Mark Pearce

« Reply #6 on: September 14, 2012, 06:06:35 PM »
It's a long time since I've been to Denham.  So long, in fact, that Dennis Compton was in the bar last time I played there!  I have very happy memories of 17, having made a 2 there the first time I played it.
In June I will be riding the first three stages of this year's Tour de France route for charity.  630km (394 miles) in three days, with 7800m (25,600 feet) of climbing for the William Wates Memorial Trust (https://rideleloop.org/the-charity/) which supports underprivileged young people.

Sean_A

« Reply #7 on: September 14, 2012, 07:59:58 PM »
Lynn

I don't know, Denham looks more or less like a great many Colts of lesser fame.  If you don't care for this sort of thing you don't really care for Colt.  Every course can't be a knock out when one designs as many as Colt did on such varying properties. 

Ciao
New plays planned for 2024: Nothing

Tommy Williamsen

« Reply #8 on: September 14, 2012, 10:17:36 PM »
One of the things I really enjoy about Colt is the placement of the bunkers.  They always seem to make you think and execute.  I also like the way he sites the greens on the sides of hills. The greens, however, looked like they lacked much movement.  Is this true?
Where there is no love, put love; there you will find love.
St. John of the Cross

"Deep within your soul-space is a magnificent cathedral where you are sweet beyond telling." Rumi

Ben Attwood

« Reply #9 on: September 15, 2012, 07:29:26 AM »
I really enjoy the course as it rewards good placement off the tee. I find the small aircraft taking off and landing a thrilling addition to the round of golf!

Paul_Turner

« Reply #10 on: September 16, 2012, 07:56:00 AM »
Thanks for the photo tour Mark.  They look to have it nice and firm.

Some 1930's photos for comparison.  A somewhat more rugged look and that house on the 11th lost a nice view.  A pin position lost on the 11th too.

15th  Greenside bunker far more ferocious. And bunkers in the mounds behind for the 13th.

Having recommended Denham to Lynn, I guess I was disappointed that he was disappointed.... that's the risk you take with all recommendations.  

But I still think Denham is one I would pick as easy to get to by train from the West End of London.  Beaconsfield is another, slightly farther out than Denham but with a tiny walk from the train station.

A bunker restoration would go a long way to "beef up" the cross bunkering on holes: 4, 7, 13,14, 18 but it's a well routed course and still offers fine golf in pleasant surroundings.

Sean

It's kind of similar in quality to Moseley etc.
« Last Edit: September 16, 2012, 09:00:19 AM by Paul_Turner »
can't get to heaven with a three chord song

Sean_A

« Reply #11 on: September 16, 2012, 08:42:26 AM »
Paul

Yes, Denham looks good to me, maybe better than Mosely.  And yes, it can be hard to recommend courses without knowing a person fairly well.

Interestingly, I played Edgbaston yet again on Friday.  The greens are really very, very good.  One of the best sets I have seen from Colt.  Its amazing how much movement there is once they dry out a bit.

Ciao  
« Last Edit: September 16, 2012, 08:50:17 AM by Sean Arble »
New plays planned for 2024: Nothing

Paul_Turner

« Reply #12 on: September 16, 2012, 09:03:35 AM »
Sean

Edgbaston.  Yes I played there only once but it was dry and greens like 4 had very tricky approaches.  I hope the club is looking after those old Colt plans, I'm not sure they are aware of how rare and valuable these are!

Also I have one or two old pics of Edgbaston and the bunkers were rather fancy back in the day. 
can't get to heaven with a three chord song

Lynn_Shackelford

« Reply #13 on: September 16, 2012, 09:13:48 AM »
Lynn

I don't know, Denham looks more or less like a great many Colts of lesser fame.  If you don't care for this sort of thing you don't really care for Colt.  Every course can't be a knock out when one designs as many as Colt did on such varying properties. 

Ciao

I don't claim to be a Colt expert and maybe he has many designs similar to Denham in and around London.  Coming in I had only played Swinley Forest as a Colt original, so maybe my expectations were a bit high.  I could be a member at Denham and enjoy it, but I wouldn't put it too high on courses to see and play in the UK.  I love the old bunker look, but then I aways seem to.
It must be kept in mind that the elusive charm of the game suffers as soon as any successful method of standardization is allowed to creep in.  A golf course should never pretend to be, nor is intended to be, an infallible tribunal.
               Tom Simpson

Tom Culley

« Reply #14 on: September 16, 2012, 07:43:07 PM »
Mark,

Thanks for a great review of what looks to be a a solid Colt track. I live less than an hour from Denham and will be certain to get out there are play it next summer. As a member of Canterbury, I'm very interested in studying Colt, particularly the less well known clubs. Beaconsfield is certainly a treat.
"Play the ball as it lies, play the course as you find it, and if you cannot do either, do what is fair. But to do what is fair, you need to know the Rules of Golf."

Mark_Rowlinson

« Reply #15 on: September 17, 2012, 06:32:04 AM »
Tom,

There are a few Colt courses in the surroundings of Manchester worth visiting some time: Manchester, Ringway, Prestbury and Sandiway. We should meet up some time next year at Lilleshall Hall in Shropshire which must be one of the latest Colt courses. I have a soft spot for it as it was there that I learned to play golf - my father was a member in the 60s. It's not a great course, far from it, but it has plenty of interest. My father told me that it had been a 9-hole course (the current back nine) and that the front nine was added not long before he joined. Certainly there is no similarity between the two nines. However, I am now told that it was an 18-hole course from the start.

Tom Culley

« Reply #16 on: September 17, 2012, 06:44:45 AM »
Mark,

Lilleshall Hall Golf Club, once described as the "Pine Valley of England

A bold statement!

Lilleshall Hall looks like a very pleasant course and certainly somewhere to visit if i am ever in the area.

Where in he country are you based? I imagine that if we were going to meet and play a Colt course, we could find somewhere a bit more equidistant between us (I'm based in Buckinghamshire).

If you are ever on the south east coast, let me know and i will host you at Colt's Canterbury Golf Club. I'm a member whilst at university and it's a lovely place to play golf, highly recommended to any Colt fan.
« Last Edit: September 17, 2012, 06:49:44 AM by Tom Culley »
"Play the ball as it lies, play the course as you find it, and if you cannot do either, do what is fair. But to do what is fair, you need to know the Rules of Golf."

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back