News:

Welcome to the Golf Club Atlas Discussion Group!

Each user is approved by the Golf Club Atlas editorial staff. For any new inquiries, please contact us.

Matt_Cohn

Re: Go Matt!
« Reply #100 on: September 12, 2012, 08:06:48 PM »
No, Nathan Smith won and plays Garrett tomorrow.

Howard Riefs

« Reply #101 on: September 12, 2012, 08:09:10 PM »
No, Nathan Smith won and plays Garrett tomorrow.

I misread it. Thanks.
"Golf combines two favorite American pastimes: Taking long walks and hitting things with a stick."  ~P.J. O'Rourke

Chris Kane

« Reply #102 on: September 12, 2012, 10:11:40 PM »
A perfect way to capture the essence of the greatness of the amateur game.
+1. You are a class act Matt (and a terrific player too).

Matt_Cohn

« Reply #103 on: September 12, 2012, 10:35:39 PM »
Garrett didn't have his best stuff today but made a 7 or 8 footer for birdie to win 1 up on the last hole. He has his longtime big-event caddie and a bunch of friends and family coming in tomorrow so I won't be on the bag. This afternoon was like a bonus on top of a really cool week but 8 days is plenty long to stretch out this adventure.

I need to pack. More tomorrow. It should be a fascinating final to follow, hopefully, from 30,000 feet.

Howard Riefs

« Reply #104 on: September 13, 2012, 12:12:50 PM »
"Golf combines two favorite American pastimes: Taking long walks and hitting things with a stick."  ~P.J. O'Rourke

JLahrman

« Reply #105 on: September 13, 2012, 04:15:28 PM »
Smith and Rank are AS after 33 holes.

Smith took a 1-up lead on the ninth hole, and held a lead until Rank just squared it on the 33rd. Smith was actually 3-up after 30 before losing three in a row.

Looks like this is going down to the wire.

Howard Riefs

« Reply #106 on: September 13, 2012, 04:57:15 PM »
What a match.

Smith wins 1 UP.

AS through 34, Rank bogeys the 35th (#17) hole: "Smith 2-putt par from 35 ft. Rank's downhill chip goes 27 ft by. Misses par putt to drop hole," according to the USGA's twitter feed (https://twitter.com/USGA).

Both par the last hole.
« Last Edit: September 13, 2012, 05:15:11 PM by Howard Riefs »

JLahrman

« Reply #107 on: September 13, 2012, 05:08:41 PM »
I don't know how you possibly concentrate on the last holes of a match like this.

"Make this six-footer, and I get to play in the Masters next year. Miss it, and I'll probably never get another chance at it."

How do things like that not go through your head? It can't possibly help your stroke!

PCCraig

« Reply #108 on: September 13, 2012, 05:18:26 PM »
Congrats to Nathan Smith. What a run! 4 time champ since 2004? Unreal.
H.P.S.

JLahrman

« Reply #109 on: September 13, 2012, 05:29:41 PM »

I agree. It's not quite Tiger Woods territory (six straight USGA titles). But to be winning all these titles in the Mid-Am, when every year you're older and the post-college guys are that much younger than you, is pretty remarkable.

PCCraig

« Reply #110 on: September 13, 2012, 05:33:09 PM »

I agree. It's not quite Tiger Woods territory (six straight USGA titles). But to be winning all these titles in the Mid-Am, when every year you're older and the post-college guys are that much younger than you, is pretty remarkable.

Right, the quality of the players (tons of reinstated amateurs) and the fact that it's match play after two rounds of stroke play makes winning the event even once a heck of an accomplishment...let alone 4 times!
H.P.S.

Howard Riefs

« Reply #111 on: September 13, 2012, 10:16:35 PM »
Recap from Golfweek:

http://golfweek.com/news/2012/sep/13/smith-defeats-rank-record-4th-mid-am-title/

“I played great all week,” said Rank, who plans to be back home and on the ice Friday night officiating a game in the Ontario Hockey League. “Sure, I’m disappointed, but I’m sure a couple days down the road I’ll realize what I’ve done this week and take a lot out of it. Sure it would have been nice to win, but, really, second is not too bad.”

George Pazin

« Reply #112 on: September 14, 2012, 09:16:25 AM »
Recap from Golfweek:

http://golfweek.com/news/2012/sep/13/smith-defeats-rank-record-4th-mid-am-title/

“I played great all week,” said Rank, who plans to be back home and on the ice Friday night officiating a game in the Ontario Hockey League. “Sure, I’m disappointed, but I’m sure a couple days down the road I’ll realize what I’ve done this week and take a lot out of it. Sure it would have been nice to win, but, really, second is not too bad.”

This is just one of many reasons I could never be a tournament director - I couldn't read something like this and not extend him an invitation.

Congrats again to Matt, and Matt, if you should happen to talk to Garrett, please congratulate him as well.
Big drivers and hot balls are the product of golf course design that rewards the hit one far then hit one high strategy.  Shinny showed everyone how to take care of this whole technology dilemma. - Pat Brockwell, 6/24/04

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back