News:

Welcome to the Golf Club Atlas Discussion Group!

Each user is approved by the Golf Club Atlas editorial staff. For any new inquiries, please contact us.

Sean Leary

Re: Go Matt!
« Reply #75 on: September 11, 2012, 07:18:48 PM »
Really great showing, Matt! I have the ultimate respect for anybody who even qualifies for a USGA amateur event, not to mention advance through to match play.

+1. Unbelievably impressive.

And to think of the Beardpuller's convention we could have had at the Masters next year had he kept it going. 1500 requests for badges , please  ;)

Terry Lavin

« Reply #76 on: September 11, 2012, 07:26:52 PM »
Great play in a national event under difficult conditions (30 mph winds today) against great competition. Well done, Mr. Cohn.
Nobody ever went broke underestimating the intelligence of the American people.  H.L. Mencken

Tim_Cronin

« Reply #77 on: September 11, 2012, 07:53:23 PM »
There was a three-club wind out here today. Matt, kudos for taking a tough customer as far as you did in a USGA championship.
The website: www.illinoisgolfer.net
On Twitter: @illinoisgolfer

Matt_Cohn

« Reply #78 on: September 11, 2012, 08:20:38 PM »
Thanks for all of the support everyone. It means a lot to me and it was great fun having a few of you follow me out on the course - extra thanks to those of you who did!

My opponents played well in all three matches. This morning I was able to make a couple of putts at the right time, especially that birdie/birdie exchange on 15 - that was about a 20 footer give or take. I also made one from 45 feet or so on 9 and a couple of other good shorter ones. My opponent gave a hole or two away (as happens in match play), but I did my part to take advantage of the opportunities.

This afternoon I just couldn't get it going. I three putted one, Garrett hit it to tap-in range on 2, and then I started giving it away with three short misses between 5 and 8. The annoying thing is that they were all the same putt, 4-6 feet just on top of the right edge. I basically putted well for 9 straight rounds and just lost it for 9 holes, but when your opponent hits it 310 and makes most of his putts, that's not going to cut it. I played reasonably well on the back nine but it was too much to ask from 5 down.

The week was quite an experience - one of those "peak experience" type things. I've played 8 rounds of golf in the last 6 days - five at Conway, 2 at Knollwood, and 1 at Exmoor. I'll remember at least two shots - the 30 footer I made on my last hole to get under the cut line, and the 8-iron I described yesterday - for a very long time.

To answer a few of the questions posed earlier...

Yeah, Garrett is really good and a nice guy. He drives it 30-40 past me. And if he keeps playing like he did today, he should probably win. But I know as well as anyone that sometimes the game can just slip away for a few holes. Hopefully he'll keep it up though. It always feels better to lose to the winner!

Nothing's wrong with the par-5 8th hole. It's just 595 straight into a 20-whatever mph wind. Some of the guys in the starting field would not have been able to reach the fairway today; I made it by about 15 yards max this morning. The layup isn't too hard, but the pin was right and the wind was blowing hard into us and to the left. The ball can be above your feet there too. It's just a hard combination.

Re: Garrett's eagle this morning, yes, it was real. He said he drove it over the back of #7 (it's 274 to the front into the wind) and then chipped in. He did the same thing this afternoon except he chipped it to 3 feet and made birdie.

OK, I'm tired. If any of you all have questions/comments, fire away. In the next few days I'll try to do a quick Knollwood/Conway thread.

Thanks again for all the good wishes.

JLahrman

« Reply #79 on: September 11, 2012, 08:27:37 PM »
Very impressive to get to the last 16.

And I don't know how you feel, but I'd rather lose 5&3 than in 20 holes...probably more fun in the moment to be involved in a down-to-the-wire match, but this way at least you knew it just wasn't your day. Instead of replaying a missed putt or bad chip over and over in your mind for the next 10 years.

When I was a senior in high school, my basketball team lost by two points in the regional finals (a win would have put us in the state semis, which would have made us the only team in school history to advance that far). Twenty years later I can still wince at every mistake I made in that game that might have given us two extra points.
« Last Edit: September 11, 2012, 08:32:55 PM by JLahrman »

Peter Pallotta

« Reply #80 on: September 11, 2012, 08:59:47 PM »
Matt - my sincere congratulations, you should be very proud of yourself. I can't remember the last time I was in the top 16 of anything, let alone an enormously competitive and prestigious event like the US Mid-Am. Very well done -- you know for sure now that you can compete with the very best of them.

Peter

Pat Burke

« Reply #81 on: September 11, 2012, 09:14:56 PM »
Good job Matt.
Nice job GCA   It was fun to watch you all go through this.

JSlonis

« Reply #82 on: September 11, 2012, 09:35:14 PM »
Matt,

Huge Congratulations! Just making match play is a helluva accomplishment but getting as far as you did is tremendous!

As an aside... My playing partner at the qual rd in Philly (Matt Mattare) has made it to the Qtr Finals. Matt grew up at Saucon Valley and is the son of the long time head professional Gene Mattare. If any of you guys are out there, send some good karma his way. Matt is a great player and a gentleman in every regard.
« Last Edit: September 11, 2012, 09:39:03 PM by JSlonis »

Jason Topp

« Reply #83 on: September 11, 2012, 11:21:14 PM »
It was tiring just following this. Matt - do you think playing two matches a day creates too much of an endurance contest.

David_Tepper

« Reply #84 on: September 11, 2012, 11:47:37 PM »
"do you think playing two matches a day creates too much of an endurance contest."

Jason T. -

After winning on the 23rd hole yesterday, 56 (or 57) year-old Casey Boyns won his round of 32 match this morning on the 20th hole and his round of 16 match this afternoon on the 18 hole. It's just golf, there is no running, lifting or heavy breathing involved! ;) 

DT

JLahrman

« Reply #85 on: September 12, 2012, 01:58:25 AM »
It's more mental endurance than physical. I have a hard time concentrating on every shot for 18 holes, let alone for 36 holes when they really count for something.

George Pazin

« Reply #86 on: September 12, 2012, 09:45:33 AM »
Damn impressive stuff, Matt, well done, looking forward to next year's writeup already!

Nothing's wrong with the par-5 8th hole. It's just 595 straight into a 20-whatever mph wind. Some of the guys in the starting field would not have been able to reach the fairway today; I made it by about 15 yards max this morning. The layup isn't too hard, but the pin was right and the wind was blowing hard into us and to the left. The ball can be above your feet there too. It's just a hard combination.

I didn't mean to imply there was anything wrong with it; if anything, I am impressed that a par 5 wasn't a pushover, as they all seem to be for you great golfers. :) Thanks for the explanation.
Big drivers and hot balls are the product of golf course design that rewards the hit one far then hit one high strategy.  Shinny showed everyone how to take care of this whole technology dilemma. - Pat Brockwell, 6/24/04

Jason Mandel

« Reply #87 on: September 12, 2012, 10:52:34 AM »
I had the pleasure of being in Matt's 3 some for the qualifying rounds on Saturday and Sunday as I was caddying for my brother. Matt played steady golf for 2 days and it was really fun to watch. With all due respect to Matt, the shot that sticks out to me was his flop shot on the 7th hole at Knollwood on Sunday morning.

The 7th is a long par 3 over water that served as our 16th hole since we went off the back. Matt's head had to be spinning a bit as he had 2 or 3 bogeys on the back 9 and was trying to hang on for a spot in match play. He missed his tee shot about 15-20 yards right of the green and the pin was tucked in there pretty good back right.  Further complicating things was that the green ran away from him. I honestly thought that 20 feet would be a good shot. Well I guess Matt had a pretty good idea of where he stood and knew he couldn't make any more bogeys as he tried a flop shot that I won't soon forget. The flop was hit perfectly high and soft and bounced in the primary rough before trickling onto the fringe, catching the slope and rolling down about 3 feet from the cup where he would save par.  Under the circumstances it was one of the best shots I've seen in a long time.

His putt on 18 was pretty awesome as well and as it turned out he did need it to get into match play without a playoff.

Great playing Matt!
You learn more about a man on a golf course than anywhere else

contact info: jasonymandel@gmail.com

Jud_T

« Reply #88 on: September 12, 2012, 11:02:36 AM »
Congrats!  Very impressive showing.  Wish I could've been out there.  Looking forward to your thoughts on both courses.
Golf is a game. We play it. Somewhere along the way we took the fun out of it and charged a premium to be punished.- - Ron Sirak

Matt_Cohn

« Reply #89 on: September 12, 2012, 11:58:01 AM »
Thanks Jason. You're right about that flop shot and exactly right about the circumstances. I simply couldn't make another bogey. That was probably a 1 in 50 shot to come off it the way it did, maybe even longer odds than that. The putt was maybe 1 in 10. It gets me all anxious just thinking back to those two shots! I can't believe how very very close I was to going home disappointed on Monday.

Matt_Cohn

« Reply #90 on: September 12, 2012, 01:27:33 PM »
I'll be caddying for Garrett this afternoon, and if all goes well, perhaps tomorrow too!

Terry Lavin

« Reply #91 on: September 12, 2012, 02:21:59 PM »
I'll be caddying for Garrett this afternoon, and if all goes well, perhaps tomorrow too!

A perfect way to capture the essence of the greatness of the amateur game.
Nobody ever went broke underestimating the intelligence of the American people.  H.L. Mencken

Michael Wharton-Palmer

« Reply #92 on: September 12, 2012, 02:43:50 PM »
Great playing MATT

Jeff Fortson

« Reply #93 on: September 12, 2012, 02:48:19 PM »
Congrats Matt!  I was following your results closely the last few days.  Great run.

As a side note...

At USGA events there is always a Player's Dinner a night or two before the tournament.  I was sitting down ready to eat and randomly Matt sat down literally right next to me.  Out of 264 players we randomly sat next to each other.  It was great meeting Matt and getting to finally put another face to a name on here.  I played like a donkey in the 1st round recording one of the highest scores I've ever shot in a tournament and putted horribly both days.  The rough was wet and deep, there was zero roll on tee shots and the greens were slick.  If you were off your game, as I was, you got exposed.  One thing Matt hasn't mentioned is how hard those conditions were and I give him a serious tip of the cap for playing outstanding golf throughout the tournament.  Well done and hope to see you at many more amateur events.

Jeff F.
#nowhitebelt

Greg Stebbins

« Reply #94 on: September 12, 2012, 02:55:26 PM »
I had the pleasure of being in Matt's 3 some for the qualifying rounds on Saturday and Sunday as I was caddying for my brother. Matt played steady golf for 2 days and it was really fun to watch. With all due respect to Matt, the shot that sticks out to me was his flop shot on the 7th hole at Knollwood on Sunday morning.

The 7th is a long par 3 over water that served as our 16th hole since we went off the back. Matt's head had to be spinning a bit as he had 2 or 3 bogeys on the back 9 and was trying to hang on for a spot in match play. He missed his tee shot about 15-20 yards right of the green and the pin was tucked in there pretty good back right.  Further complicating things was that the green ran away from him. I honestly thought that 20 feet would be a good shot. Well I guess Matt had a pretty good idea of where he stood and knew he couldn't make any more bogeys as he tried a flop shot that I won't soon forget. The flop was hit perfectly high and soft and bounced in the primary rough before trickling onto the fringe, catching the slope and rolling down about 3 feet from the cup where he would save par.  Under the circumstances it was one of the best shots I've seen in a long time.

His putt on 18 was pretty awesome as well and as it turned out he did need it to get into match play without a playoff.

Great playing Matt!

He got up and down from long right on #7 at Knollwood?  That's really impressive.  My playing partner and I both hit it over the green on that hole and neither of us had a chance to keep our flops on the green.  That course had the worst rough I've ever seen.

Jeff Fortson

« Reply #95 on: September 12, 2012, 03:03:30 PM »

He got up and down from long right on #7 at Knollwood?  That's really impressive.  My playing partner and I both hit it over the green on that hole and neither of us had a chance to keep our flops on the green.  That course had the worst rough I've ever seen.

I was 15 yards long on a direct line with the pin on #7 and flopped it to about 8 feet.  Missed it of course.  The rough at Knollwood was brutal, but so was the rough at Conway.  It was the longest rough on both courses that I'd ever played out of in a competition.

Jeff F.
#nowhitebelt

Sean Leary

« Reply #96 on: September 12, 2012, 03:10:32 PM »
Two giants of the amateur game go off in on semi (Smith and Tim Jackson) and Garrett goes off in the other. The cream does indeed  rise it seems.

PCCraig

« Reply #97 on: September 12, 2012, 04:40:15 PM »
Two giants of the amateur game go off in on semi (Smith and Tim Jackson) and Garrett goes off in the other. The cream does indeed  rise it seems.

Looks like Smith is on his way to the finals for a shot at his 4th US Mid-Am title since 2004.
H.P.S.

Doug Wright

« Reply #98 on: September 12, 2012, 05:54:45 PM »
Garrett Rank just won 1 up with a birdie on 18; will face Nathan Smith in the finals.
Twitter: @Deneuchre

Howard Riefs

« Reply #99 on: September 12, 2012, 05:58:11 PM »
Two giants of the amateur game go off in on semi (Smith and Tim Jackson) and Garrett goes off in the other. The cream does indeed  rise it seems.

Garrett wins his semi final match with a birdie on 18! Clutch play.  

http://www.usga.org/ChampEventScore.aspx?id=17179869327&year=2012&type=052

Tomorrow, he'll play Smith, who defeated Jackson 3 & 1 in the other semi.

http://www.usga.org/ChampEventScore.aspx?id=17179869327&year=2012&type=051

Golfweek reports on both semifinal matches:

http://mobile.golfweek.com/news/2012/sep/12/smith-rank-advance-us-mid-am-finale/

« Last Edit: September 12, 2012, 08:07:48 PM by Howard Riefs »
"Golf combines two favorite American pastimes: Taking long walks and hitting things with a stick."  ~P.J. O'Rourke

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back