News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

John Kavanaugh

The best long straight par 4 with biedgial bunkering
« on: September 05, 2012, 11:51:26 AM »
I can't recall playing one better than the 12th at Torrey Pines South.  I most likely will never forget walking off the green thinking my 5 was a solid par.  It was only when I reached the 13th tee that I realized the course did not have back to back par 5's.

David Davis

Re: The best long straight par 4 with biedgial bunkering
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2012, 12:20:06 PM »
John, I've been living away from the US for a long time so my English is quite poor I suppose. Could you please tell me what biedgial bunkering means?

#12, I believe I hit driver, gap wedge and thought to myself that wasn't so bad. Then the caddy told me to try it from the men's tees next time....
Sharing the greatest experiences in golf.

IG: @top100golftraveler
www.lockharttravelclub.com

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2012, 12:24:12 PM »
Biedgial bunkering is when there are bunkers on both sides of the fairway equidistant from the tee.  A famous example on a hole too short for this thread is the 18th at Bethpage Black.

Garland Bayley

« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2012, 12:27:18 PM »
David,

You're not going to let John make up words on you and get away with it are you?
;D
"I enjoy a course where the challenges are contained WITHIN it, and recovery is part of the game  not a course where the challenge is to stay ON it." Jeff Warne

Mark Chaplin

« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2012, 03:40:00 PM »
JK - what is the Oxford English dictionary definition of your "word"?
Cave Nil Vino

RJ_Daley

« Reply #5 on: September 06, 2012, 04:41:28 PM »
I thought it was a hole that had both hairy edged and bikini wax shaved bunkers.... ::)
No actual golf rounds were ruined or delayed, nor golf rules broken, in the taking of any photographs that may be displayed by the above forum user.

Tom_Doak

« Reply #6 on: September 06, 2012, 04:48:25 PM »
You could do worse than the first hole at Oakland Hills.  Bunkers both sides of the fairway, bunkers both sides of the green, but what a green!

Michael George

« Reply #7 on: September 06, 2012, 05:03:45 PM »
You could do worse than the first hole at Oakland Hills.  Bunkers both sides of the fairway, bunkers both sides of the green, but what a green!

Tom - funny, because you just described Oakland Hills as a whole pretty much. 
"First come my wife and children.  Next comes my profession--the law. Finally, and never as a life in itself, comes golf" - Bob Jones

Tom_Doak

« Reply #8 on: September 06, 2012, 05:09:08 PM »

Tom - funny, because you just described Oakland Hills as a whole pretty much. 

Yes, there's a lot of that -- even more after Rees Jones worked his magic there.  But I think that first hole is exceptional, for a straightaway hole.  My favorite hole is the 11th, but it doesn't have bunkers on both edges per John's thread.

Every green at Winged Foot (West) except the 18th has bunkers to both sides, but not many of the fairways do, because of all the trees.

Mark Saltzman

« Reply #9 on: September 06, 2012, 05:24:24 PM »
2 at Crystal Downs?

David Davis

« Reply #10 on: September 06, 2012, 05:38:00 PM »
Garland, to be honest I was waiting for help...

Since nobody said anything I assumed there was something wrong with my research techniques. They went like this:

?
Google.com - nothing
Dictionary.com - nothing
Urban dictionary - nothing
Eliminate all but two possibilites - still nothing
Helpline - Call a friend - damn nothing
Public humiliation in front of my peers -
JK - gracious answer

Being the slow learner that I am, failed to put it into practice today but I'll tell you what, the word if it exists or not sounds much better in Dutch then it does in English.

Last interesting note about this term is that when you google it now you get this thread on GCA, followed by threads about Co-ed girls, followed by threads about dirty co-ed girls. Perhaps I'm starting to follow the logic here...
Sharing the greatest experiences in golf.

IG: @top100golftraveler
www.lockharttravelclub.com

Garland Bayley

« Reply #11 on: September 06, 2012, 06:35:28 PM »
You mean to tell me you did not get the Swahili bied gial?
"I enjoy a course where the challenges are contained WITHIN it, and recovery is part of the game  not a course where the challenge is to stay ON it." Jeff Warne

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back