News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Jon Byron

TPC Boston NBC coverage - Johnny Miller
« on: September 03, 2012, 02:09:31 PM »
Dustin Johnson birdies par 5 2nd - and Miller criticized his 2nd and 3rd shots!  I guess  2 out of 4 isn't bad
Haven't played since yesterday, not playing until tomorrow, hardly playing at all!

Jon Byron

Re: TPC Boston NBC coverage - Johnny Miller
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2012, 02:41:25 PM »
ok.
Louis Oosthuizen just birdied a par 4 but Miller critiques all 3 shots!
Haven't played since yesterday, not playing until tomorrow, hardly playing at all!

Mac Plumart

« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2012, 03:57:51 PM »
He is totaly entitled to criticize anyone.  You may not realize this, but he fired a 63 at Oakmont.

8)
Sportsman/Adventure loving golfer.

Tim Martin

« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2012, 04:16:13 PM »
He has referenced the "chocolate drops" more than once today. Does anybody think he will say anything about "hairy bunkers"?

Patrick_Mucci

« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2012, 08:04:29 PM »
Guys,

You have to fill "air time" somehow, don't you ?

Greg Beaulieu

« Reply #5 on: September 03, 2012, 08:26:21 PM »
Guys,

After trying to hype Tiger's chances in every possible way I didn't think they had any air time left.   ???

john_stiles

« Reply #6 on: September 03, 2012, 08:34:22 PM »

The final round coverage of Louis Oosthuizen recovery shot right of 18th was terrible.

They had a microphone in the area, you could hear Louis and his caddie discussing something,  but the announcers kept rambling on.

The an-duncers were talking over the player caddie discussions just as they almost always do.  Horrible.

Carl Rogers

« Reply #7 on: September 03, 2012, 08:45:41 PM »
I think Johnny Miller has done some "design work".  He does not seem to approach his commentary from that perspective in any kind of conceptual - wholistic manner. I must also assume that he cannot do so per contractural limitations.

Otherwise his commentary has become too repetitive.

TPC Boston would be more interesting, to me, if there was no rough and some of the 'chocolate drops' were rocks.  Having grown up in a burb of Boston, I can tell you there are plenty of rocks in that area.
I decline to accept the end of man. ... William Faulkner

JSlonis

« Reply #8 on: September 03, 2012, 10:32:08 PM »
Carl,

Have you ever played the Johnny Miller course Badlands in Las Vegas?  If so, that may explain why he doesn't talk much architecture.   ;)

I usually enjoy his commentary but I must say its gotten a bit odd lately.

Anthony Butler

« Reply #9 on: September 03, 2012, 10:48:39 PM »

if I never hear the words 'baby cut' again it would be OK with me...
Next!

Philip Caccamise

« Reply #10 on: September 03, 2012, 11:08:40 PM »
Maybe the best "parody" Twitter account... @JohnMillerSays.

Simply because it's exact quotes of Johnny Miller.

noonan

« Reply #11 on: September 03, 2012, 11:30:16 PM »
Carl,

Have you ever played the Johnny Miller course Badlands in Las Vegas?  If so, that may explain why he doesn't talk much architecture.   ;)

The Badlands could be the worst "Premium" golf curse on the planet

Keith Doleshel

« Reply #12 on: September 04, 2012, 12:19:13 AM »
The Johnny Miller designs in the Bay Area, Silverado North excluded, leave a lot to be desired.  Both Eagle Ridge and The Bridges are pretty awful.  I concur that could be why he doesn't talk much architecture on TV.  I get the impression he feels like he has to live up to some sort of reputation on air, and thats why we hear the same stuff over and over again.  It is too bad, because there are times when I think he offers some good insight.

A.G._Crockett

« Reply #13 on: September 04, 2012, 06:35:04 AM »
I must have missed something, and now I'm kicking myself.

I watched/listened to the entire telecast and nothing Miller said bothered me, and I understood what he was saying in every shot critique.  I enjoy listening to him more than any other golf announcer currently on the air.

Sorry...
"Golf...is usually played with the outward appearance of great dignity.  It is, nevertheless, a game of considerable passion, either of the explosive type, or that which burns inwardly and sears the soul."      Bobby Jones

A.G._Crockett

« Reply #14 on: September 04, 2012, 06:38:23 AM »
Guys,

After trying to hype Tiger's chances in every possible way I didn't think they had any air time left.   ???

You are aware that Tiger finished 2 shots back and shot the low round of the day yesterday, right?

It is also worth noting that when Woods is in contention on the weekend, viewer shares are well more than double what the same tournaments have been without him in the hunt.  Which means that from a business standpoint, Tiger is bigger than the entire rest of the game/field. 

That ain't hype.
"Golf...is usually played with the outward appearance of great dignity.  It is, nevertheless, a game of considerable passion, either of the explosive type, or that which burns inwardly and sears the soul."      Bobby Jones

Greg Beaulieu

« Reply #15 on: September 04, 2012, 06:50:32 AM »
You are aware that Tiger finished 2 shots back and shot the low round of the day yesterday, right?

It is also worth noting that when Woods is in contention on the weekend, viewer shares are well more than double what the same tournaments have been without him in the hunt.  Which means that from a business standpoint, Tiger is bigger than the entire rest of the game/field. 

That ain't hype.

When I switched on for good he was 4 back and playing the 15th. Now, that is possible to make up, but very rarely and almost never with players of the quality of Rory and Louis ahead. But they followed the same script as any telecast in which he contends and endlessly speculated about how he could make up that gap. It is extremely annoying. I know the viewers love this stuff but I think as broadcasters of a professional event they have a duty to be somewhat professional as well. This isn't WWE. We're not watching the bogus crap that gets shown on TLC. We deserve a proper and balanced presentation, not created drama. And that creation is called "hype."

A.G._Crockett

« Reply #16 on: September 04, 2012, 07:41:09 AM »

That ain't hype.

When I switched on for good he was 4 back and playing the 15th. Now, that is possible to make up, but very rarely and almost never with players of the quality of Rory and Louis ahead. But they followed the same script as any telecast in which he contends and endlessly speculated about how he could make up that gap. It is extremely annoying. I know the viewers love this stuff but I think as broadcasters of a professional event they have a duty to be somewhat professional as well. This isn't WWE. We're not watching the bogus crap that gets shown on TLC. We deserve a proper and balanced presentation, not created drama. And that creation is called "hype."

Greg,
How is it that you "deserve" a particular sort of telecast on commercial television?  It is the entertainment business, pure and simple, and Tiger still drives the bus on ratings.  Don't take my word for it; check the numbers for yourself.

I'll remind you again.  Woods finished two shots back, and shot the low round of the day.  He was one of only three players in contention, and the other two were playing together.  Viewers saw every single shot by each of the three.

If that's hype, I'm buying.

Adam Clayman

« Reply #17 on: September 04, 2012, 07:58:37 AM »
Turns out the Fedex cup is not only good for the players, but, it's great for us viewer's. Because they've had to return to the old ways of directing the telecast. Over to here, then over to there, actual golf shots. There was a lot less watching golfer's walk off teeing grounds, or standing around watching their playing partner tee off. For me, it translated to a more exciting experience. Watching Louis' front nine, on Saturday, was poetry.
"It's unbelievable how much you don't know about the game you've been playing your whole life." - Mickey Mantle

David Whitmer

« Reply #18 on: September 04, 2012, 08:04:21 AM »

When I hear this argument, I always think back to when I was about 13 years old, and the Cincinnati-area amateur championship (called "The Metropolitan," or "Met") was being held at the club where my family belonged. Johnny Bench was newly retired from baseball, a pretty decent golfer, and playing in the Met for the first time. So were about 15 members of our club. After the first day's play, the headline in the Cincinnati Enquirer was something like "Bench Shoots 81 in Met First Round."

I remember my Mom complaining to my Dad that the players who played well should get the publicity, not Johnny Bench who played poorly.

I remember my Dad came back with "Do you really think the average person cares what Joe Smith shot yesterday? Or do you think they care what Johnny Bench shot?"

The media is in the business of having people watch or read what they are putting out. If they know that writing about, talking about, or showing someone specific will boost their ratings, why in the world would they not do exactly that? Anybody who would choose to not write about, talk about, or show that specific person would be making a serious business mistake.

The media doesn't make up stories (well, they usually don't  ;)), but they are certainly free to report on the news and talk about what may occur any way they see fit. I'm not so sure we "deserve" anything. If we don't like some outlet's coverage, we are free to contact them and tell them why we are no longer watching or reading. If they get enough complaints, they'll change their ways.

Greg Beaulieu

« Reply #19 on: September 04, 2012, 05:51:22 PM »
If we don't like some outlet's coverage, we are free to contact them and tell them why we are no longer watching or reading. If they get enough complaints, they'll change their ways.

I'm not going to contact NBC or CBS or GC to tell them I'm not watching. I'm just not watching any more. Maybe some day they'll notice, assuming others do the same.

Kalen Braley

« Reply #20 on: September 04, 2012, 05:56:27 PM »
Johnny Miller is a racist hack.

He said this about Rocco Mediate during his showdown with Tiger in the U.S. Open...and I quote:

"looking like the guy who cleans Tiger Woods's pool"

A.G._Crockett

« Reply #21 on: September 04, 2012, 06:14:23 PM »
If we don't like some outlet's coverage, we are free to contact them and tell them why we are no longer watching or reading. If they get enough complaints, they'll change their ways.

I'm not going to contact NBC or CBS or GC to tell them I'm not watching. I'm just not watching any more. Maybe some day they'll notice, assuming others do the same.

But others are NOT doing the same!  That's the point; ratings!

But even from a pure reporting point of view, this doesn't make good sense.  You aren't going to watch anymore because they showed too much of the guy who finished two shots back and shot the low round of the day?  Who happens to be the only other guy besides the winner who is getting any consideration for POY?  Why? Because his name is Tiger Woods?  I do NOT get your objection.  You never missed a shot hit by the two guys who finished ahead of him.

The ratings for the Memorial this year were up 138% over last year's tournament.  Think about it.  Without you, I don't think that figure drops to even 137%.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back