News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Jon Byron

TPC Boston comment by Ian Poulter
« on: September 03, 2012, 12:17:35 PM »
On Twitter --

"Ian Poulter ‏@IanJamesPoulter
1 more day on a course that I hate. Get me away from this place. Never liked it. Some you like some you don't. Can't like them all."

Has anyone here seen or played the course this year? Is this comment mainly the 18th green as was Luke Donald's tweet? Or are there other aspects of the course that the players do not like? For example the setup apparently overly favors long ball hitters.
Haven't played since yesterday, not playing until tomorrow, hardly playing at all!

Joe Bausch

Re: TPC Boston comment by Ian Poulter
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2012, 12:31:10 PM »
@jwbausch (for new photo albums)
The site for the Cobb's Creek project:  https://cobbscreek.org/
Nearly all Delaware Valley golf courses in photo albums: Bausch Collection

Wayne_Kozun

« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2012, 01:03:13 PM »
Poults think that the course really favors long hitters - take a look at all of his tweets over the weekend and you will see that he has been complaining about this every day - there also appear to be power slots that only the long guys can take advantage of.  I played the course recently and I didn't notice this but I played from tees a lot shorter than the pros.  But all of the par 5s are reachable and 2&18 have long carries over hazards just before the green so shorter hitters have to lay back quite a ways.

Jay Flemma

« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2012, 01:14:58 PM »
I saw that - they think the course favors bombers, but Louis isn't a bomber, is he?
Mackenzie, MacRayBanks, Maxwell, Doak, Dye, Strantz. @JayGolfUSA, GNN Radio Host of Jay's Plays www.cybergolf.com/writerscorner

Wayne_Kozun

« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2012, 01:20:07 PM »
Louis is #27 in driving distance, ahead of Tiger who is #38.   And he was pretty much keeping up with Rory yesterday.

It was interesting to hear that Louis doesn't seem all that interested in playing golf and rarely practices.

Joe Bausch

« Reply #5 on: September 03, 2012, 01:23:46 PM »
I saw that - they think the course favors bombers, but Louis isn't a bomber, is he?

If he's not a bomber, he's close to it.  Stats this week:

@jwbausch (for new photo albums)
The site for the Cobb's Creek project:  https://cobbscreek.org/
Nearly all Delaware Valley golf courses in photo albums: Bausch Collection

Anthony Butler

« Reply #6 on: September 03, 2012, 01:42:11 PM »
Poults think that the course really favors long hitters - take a look at all of his tweets over the weekend and you will see that he has been complaining about this every day - there also appear to be power slots that only the long guys can take advantage of.  I played the course recently and I didn't notice this but I played from tees a lot shorter than the pros.  But all of the par 5s are reachable and 2&18 have long carries over hazards just before the green so shorter hitters have to lay back quite a ways.

The furthest you have to lay back on either 2-18 is about 100yds to avoid going into the hazard. The larger issue is the degree to which the principles of golf architecture have been upended by modern tournament play... The traditional argument being the shorter the anticipated approach the smaller the target should be... A par 5, for most of the last century considered a three shot hole, should have a smaller target. With fronting hazards on 2 and 18, if you don't knock your drive 300yds down the fairway, you may be forced to hit a pitching wedge for your second before approaching with something like a sand wedge.. I have been forced into that situation several times. In addition to being smaller targets, the greens at 2 and 18 are surrounded by hazards on at least two sides, so it's the sensible if not the only play. Perhaps that is part of Ian Poulter's problems with these two holes.

The other par 5 which plays slightly uphill at 600yds will allow you to hit two full shots unless you get a terrible lie after your drive.

From what I saw the first two days: Most players are in position to approach the 18th with their second... due in large part to the hill to the left of the driving zone which tends to push most balls right into a pretty even lie on the fairway. As Gil Hanse said on TV, before the redesign the players who were not in the right position off the tee could simply cover the distance across the hazard with their second and have a pretty easy pitch for their third. With the redesigned green that shot has become a little more complicated... At the same time, if you have to lay up, your third shot is not much harder, given the fact you'd have to hit your sand wedge 20 feet right or left to miss the putting surface.

By reducing the size of the 18th green, TPC Boston has attempted to restore the principles of par-5 play to the hole without increasing the length. In addition, it gives this course, which lacks quirk and charm when compared to many other notable courses in New England something to talk about... I'm sure Luke Donald and Ian Poulter don't see it this way, but I think the changes on 18 are a welcome addition for member play as well.

P.S. With regard to the stats line posted by Joe Bausch, apart from a couple of evening rain showers on Tues/Weds, it has been warm and strangely dry in the Boston area this week... (I live about 30 miles from TPC Boston) and the course is firming up, which explains much of the distance gains Louis Oosthuizen has seen in Rds 2-3.

Today much the same... McIlroy has been absolutely crushing it off the tee this week. He's reached near the end of the fairway on 18 twice with his 3 wood. When you consider he is about 5'10" and 165lbs tops, it's incredible the distance he generates.
« Last Edit: September 03, 2012, 10:51:20 PM by Anthony Butler »
Next!

Nigel Islam

« Reply #7 on: September 03, 2012, 02:30:31 PM »
I sometimes find myself watching either the players or the course. This tourney I have never found myself watching the course. Just nothing that captivates me. Unlike last week where it was the opposite.

Jeff Shelman

« Reply #8 on: September 03, 2012, 02:42:07 PM »
I guess I don't have any problem with what Poulter said.

I think we all have courses that we don't really enjoy playing. Sometimes you have to play a course that you don't like. Maybe it is because the boss is a member there. Or some sort of outing. Or because a tournament is there.

Often we come on here and bitch about said bad course. He tweets.

Terry Lavin

« Reply #9 on: September 03, 2012, 02:46:54 PM »
Jeff,

Well said.
Nobody ever went broke underestimating the intelligence of the American people.  H.L. Mencken

Jon Wiggett

« Reply #10 on: September 03, 2012, 02:52:51 PM »

Wayne_Kozun

« Reply #11 on: September 03, 2012, 03:03:32 PM »
And it is nice to have someone say what they really feel, rather than just say what is deemed to be politically correct.

Poults also got a speeding ticket in his Ferrari this morning which wouldn't have helped his mood.

Patrick_Mucci

« Reply #12 on: September 03, 2012, 08:02:33 PM »
Some courses don't fit a golfer's eye and when that occurs I think the golfer is uncomfortable the entire time he's playing.

Trump Bedminster,  Trump WPB and Green Brook don't fit my eye, but I try to do the best I can.

So I understand where Ian is coming from

Kalen Braley

« Reply #13 on: September 03, 2012, 08:03:17 PM »
I think his tweet would have been far more useful if had explained/detailed why he doesn't like it.

As it is, given his flashy image with his fancy clothes and bling, it comes off as spoiled PGA bratt kind of stuff.

Tom_Doak

« Reply #14 on: September 03, 2012, 08:15:33 PM »
I think his tweet would have been far more useful if had explained/detailed why he doesn't like it.

I do not use Twitter (and never will), but my understanding of it is that it doesn't give you much room to explain yourself.

Patrick_Mucci

« Reply #15 on: September 03, 2012, 10:06:53 PM »

As it is, given his flashy image with his fancy clothes and bling, it comes off as spoiled PGA bratt kind of stuff.

Kalen,

Ian indicated that his "tweet" was in error and that he tried to delete it but bloggers had already co-opted it.

Courses for horses ?

Wayne_Kozun

« Reply #16 on: September 03, 2012, 10:22:56 PM »
He is quite a prolific tweeter - and in several of these he said that this is a course for bombers and that is not him.  He also said that many of the holes just don't fit his eye.

Jon Byron

« Reply #17 on: September 03, 2012, 10:25:27 PM »
My guess is Rory McElroy likes the course! The kid is on fire.
Should be a great Ryder Cup.
Haven't played since yesterday, not playing until tomorrow, hardly playing at all!

JSlonis

« Reply #18 on: September 03, 2012, 10:25:49 PM »

Kalen,

Ian indicated that his "tweet" was in error and that he tried to delete it but bloggers had already co-opted it.

Courses for horses ?

I think it was Luke Donald's tweet that Pat is referring to, not Poulter's. Poulter has not hid the fact he hates the course. Luke however must have been shocked when he realized he tweeted the world his cell number and his thoughts on Hanse.

As for Poulter, he doesn't do himself any favors with the public. It's hard to feel sorry for a guy who plays golf for a living, and gets a speeding ticket in his new custom Ferrari on his way to a pretty good course that he's just bitched about for 4 days.

Patrick_Mucci

« Reply #19 on: September 03, 2012, 10:30:55 PM »
Jamie,

Did Luke say he was trying to reach Gil and that's why he listed his cell # ?

JSlonis

« Reply #20 on: September 03, 2012, 10:36:49 PM »
Pat,

No. Donald thought the tweet of his cell number and the comment regarding Gil were Direct messages to someone that aren't viewable by the public. Imagine there was a bit of panic when he realized he royally screwed up.

Anthony Butler

« Reply #21 on: September 03, 2012, 10:46:39 PM »
Pat,

No. Donald thought the tweet of his cell number and the comment regarding Gil were Direct messages to someone that aren't viewable by the public. Imagine there was a bit of panic when he realized he royally screwed up.

Sounds like an Anthony Weiner situation.. fortunately Luke only said Gil Hanse was a cock rather sharing pictures of his own..
« Last Edit: September 03, 2012, 10:51:42 PM by Anthony Butler »
Next!

Scott Warren

« Reply #22 on: September 03, 2012, 11:36:07 PM »
Anthony, well played! ;D

Jeff Shelman

« Reply #23 on: September 04, 2012, 12:06:07 AM »
Upon further reflection of the Poulter comment, I think the playoffs puts him in something of an awkward spot.

During much of the year, if there is a course that a guy doesn't like or doesn't fit their eye, they just take that week off. In this case, he needs to play because of the Playoffs. Now I realize that that a player might not like a major venue, but aside from ANGC, they can play it once and have a different experience the next way.

Poulter clearly doesn't like TPC Boston and there's probably some frustration that he needs to play there on a near-annual basis.

While I realize that it's hard to feel bad for these guys because they aren't exactly living check-to-check, I can also understand the frustration. There are certainly many other options for a site in the Boston area, but none of those are owned by the Tour.

I also think Poulter has really toned down his act. The final day at the PGA, his clothes were very understated. When I worked at the '09 PGA and helped Sky Sports (Euro rightsholder) get players on live after they signed their cards, he was pleasant. He's also good to follow on Twitter.

George Pazin

« Reply #24 on: September 04, 2012, 09:47:30 AM »
Just curious, does anyone know what courses Ian likes? Might be illuminating.
Big drivers and hot balls are the product of golf course design that rewards the hit one far then hit one high strategy.  Shinny showed everyone how to take care of this whole technology dilemma. - Pat Brockwell, 6/24/04

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back