News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Bill Seitz

Re: Favorite holes with Centerline Bunkers
« Reply #50 on: October 25, 2012, 12:01:03 PM »
Howard already mentioned my favorite, but I'll mention #3 at Rustic Canyon.  I've only played it a couple times, so I'm not sure that left is ever really good option (at least on purpose).  I seem to always get it down wind, so the play is usually to try and bomb over the bunkers and onto the green.  Since they both play pretty firm, the risk reward is similar to that of the first hole at Kingsley, though the punishment for hitting into the bunker complex at Kingsley is more severe. 

BCrosby

« Reply #51 on: October 25, 2012, 12:08:51 PM »
None of us will ever play it, but the c/l bunker on the 11th at ANGC. From the older, shorter tees it was in the middle of the LZ. It would have made for a fascinating hole. Much more interesting that the current pinched, tree-lined hole.

By the early 50's the bunker was gone. It's not clear why it was removed. I'd guess it was for the usual reasons. It annoyed members who found themselves bunkered after a "perfect" drive.

Bob

Tim Pitner

« Reply #52 on: October 25, 2012, 12:11:08 PM »
There are some good ones at Commonground--#3 and #5 come to mind.  They're both effective in getting the player to think off the tee and consider taking a more or less aggressive line.  The one on #3 is a bit of a sucker play, in my experience, because there's a swale just beyond the bunker that takes some of the steam off a well-struck shot that carries the bunker.  Even the bunker on #11, which doesn't really come into play for the better player, is effective at pushing people further right than necessary.  

Alex Miller

« Reply #53 on: October 25, 2012, 12:17:44 PM »
Howard already mentioned my favorite, but I'll mention #3 at Rustic Canyon.  I've only played it a couple times, so I'm not sure that left is ever really good option (at least on purpose).  I seem to always get it down wind, so the play is usually to try and bomb over the bunkers and onto the green.  Since they both play pretty firm, the risk reward is similar to that of the first hole at Kingsley, though the punishment for hitting into the bunker complex at Kingsley is more severe. 

Except for front or left pins I think left is THE place to be on #3. But like you, I take a crack at it nearly every time (that's not a bad thing).

Bill Seitz

« Reply #54 on: October 25, 2012, 01:20:16 PM »
Howard already mentioned my favorite, but I'll mention #3 at Rustic Canyon.  I've only played it a couple times, so I'm not sure that left is ever really good option (at least on purpose).  I seem to always get it down wind, so the play is usually to try and bomb over the bunkers and onto the green.  Since they both play pretty firm, the risk reward is similar to that of the first hole at Kingsley, though the punishment for hitting into the bunker complex at Kingsley is more severe.  

Except for front or left pins I think left is THE place to be on #3. But like you, I take a crack at it nearly every time (that's not a bad thing).

Well, I'm pretty sure you've played it a time or two more than I have.  ;)  But is the advantage gained from being on the left big enough to justify bringing the OB into play?  Maybe there's more room over there than the aerial shows, but again, in the three times I've played it, I've never tried hitting it over there.
« Last Edit: October 25, 2012, 01:22:05 PM by Bill Seitz »

Garland Bayley

« Reply #55 on: October 25, 2012, 01:48:07 PM »
Howard already mentioned my favorite, but I'll mention #3 at Rustic Canyon.  I've only played it a couple times, so I'm not sure that left is ever really good option (at least on purpose).  I seem to always get it down wind, so the play is usually to try and bomb over the bunkers and onto the green.  Since they both play pretty firm, the risk reward is similar to that of the first hole at Kingsley, though the punishment for hitting into the bunker complex at Kingsley is more severe.  

Well, I'm pretty sure you've played it a time or two more than I have.  ;)  But is the advantage gained from being on the left big enough to justify bringing the OB into play?  Maybe there's more room over there than the aerial shows, but again, in the three times I've played it, I've never tried hitting it over there.

I play it to the left, but have never noticed there was OB over there.
"I enjoy a course where the challenges are contained WITHIN it, and recovery is part of the game  not a course where the challenge is to stay ON it." Jeff Warne

Dan Kelly

« Reply #56 on: October 25, 2012, 02:40:25 PM »
The original Sutton Bay No. 16:

"There's no money in doing less." -- Joe Hancock, 11/25/2010
"Rankings are silly and subjective..." -- Tom Doak, 3/12/2016

Bradley Anderson

« Reply #57 on: October 26, 2012, 07:06:35 AM »
I am not sure its a good idea to put a centerline bunker on a hole that is bordered by water on the left side.

It would be helpful to a picture of the hole.

Adam Clayman

« Reply #58 on: October 26, 2012, 07:45:17 AM »
I am not sure its a good idea to put a centerline bunker on a hole that is bordered by water on the left side.

Especially if it's bermed against the flow. Water still finds the lowest spot, doesn't it?

Bob Crosby,
 Isn't that the bunker that Mr. Jones' father found on opening day, and, when he asked his son, Bobby, "what idiot put that there?" his reply was "I did"?

How about poor examples of centerline hazards? 9th at Sebonack. Too big, mitigating any reason to try and tempt the left side, or, left side carry.
"It's unbelievable how much you don't know about the game you've been playing your whole life." - Mickey Mantle

Mike Schott

« Reply #59 on: November 02, 2012, 05:04:55 PM »
First post here! Thank you Ran. I saw this thread last week and immediately thought of 15 at Oakland Hills South course. I've not played the hole but have walked the course a number of times (PGA, US Open 2004 Ryder Cup and others) and found this hole intriguing. It lies at the far end of the course from the clubhouse and precedes the much more famous 16th but IMO is a much better hole with more options. No picture sorry. It curves right to left. The 4 options may be to lay up short leaving a mid to short iron approach, blow it past the bunkers (280 yard carry) or go left or right of the 2 centerline bunkers which leave little room for error, especially on the left where trees may block the approach if you miss the narrow strip of fairway. A terrific hole.

Gene Greco

« Reply #60 on: November 02, 2012, 10:28:39 PM »
#5 Sand Hills from double diamond tee.
"...I don't believe it is impossible to build a modern course as good as Pine Valley.  To me, Sand Hills is just as good as Pine Valley..."    TOM DOAK  November 6th, 2010

Dan Grossman

« Reply #61 on: November 02, 2012, 11:40:29 PM »
Interesting that someone mentioned #3 at Rustic Canyon, but not #13, which I think is a better example.

Initially, the golfer realizes that his play on the hole will be dominated by centerline bunkers.  One which influences the tee shot and one which influences the approach to the green.  Off the tee, one must choose which side of the centerline bunker to play.  Right is the riskier play as there is OB to the right and the fairway is narrower on that side of the bunker.  However, as is the case at RC, the bold play is rewarded.  The ball will likely catch a turbo boost from fairway contours and will give the golfer a good look at the green and provide the opportunity to go for the green in two.  The less bold play to the left of the centerline bunker will penalize the golfer in two ways.  First, the ball generally doesn't roll out and the golfer will not likely be within striking distance of the green.  The second, more subtle penalty, is that there is a left edge bunker which will influence the golfer in two ways.  First, the lips is reasonably high and a low 3W or poorly struck shot may not clear the bunker.  The second is that the golfer has a difficult time seeing the green and landing area for the 2nd shot and potentially brings the right-hand fairway bunker into play.  The placement of the 2nd shot will be dictated by which side of the pin the green is on.  The green is a horseshoe which wraps around a yawning centerline bunker.  Generally, pins on the right should be approached from the right and vice versa.  Being out of position around the green will result in 3 and 4 putts.  I have hit the green a number of times in two and made pars, bogeys and even doubles. 

Bill Seitz

« Reply #62 on: November 02, 2012, 11:47:24 PM »
Dan, RJ Daley mentioned #13 at Rustic on the first page. I didn't bring it up because he already had.

Dan Grossman

« Reply #63 on: November 02, 2012, 11:51:04 PM »
Dan, RJ Daley mentioned #13 at Rustic on the first page. I didn't bring it up because he already had.

Whoops, I guess that is what happens when I skim.  I'll leave the above as i think it adds to RJ's mention.

Thanks Bill.

John Kirk

« Reply #64 on: November 04, 2012, 11:29:54 AM »

Hi Dan,

I'm not sure I like this example.  It appears that carrying the bunker leaves the player with an inferior angle to approach the green.  Is that true?

Sean_A

« Reply #65 on: November 04, 2012, 01:21:31 PM »
One of my favourites will always be Woking's 3rd.

I also like New Zealand's 13th and 15th.

Huntercombe's 12th is fantastic.

What about this wee bugger on Saunton's 11th.  It not only thwarts the go for it drive, but mucks with the approach - the best sort of bunker.

Ciao
New plays planned for 2024:Winterfield, Alnmouth, Camden, Palmetto Bluff Crossroads Course, Colleton River Dye Course  & Old Barnwell

Michael Wharton-Palmer

« Reply #66 on: November 05, 2012, 11:03:29 AM »
Although not exactly in the centre..#13 at Seccession.

Patrick_Mucci

« Reply #67 on: November 05, 2012, 12:39:55 PM »
Wilshire had a few, # 5 and # 15 come to mind.

Dan Kelly

« Reply #68 on: November 05, 2012, 01:08:50 PM »

Hi Dan,

I'm not sure I like this example.  It appears that carrying the bunker leaves the player with an inferior angle to approach the green.  Is that true?

John --

I would think that *clearing* the bunker (something I couldn't do, absent a big wind) would leave you close enough to the green that the angle of approach would be a secondary concern.

I'd think that the "ideal" line off the tee would depend on the wind, the hole location and one's trajectory. The green tilts pretty substantially from left down to right, and there's a sort of reverse-Redan kickplate left of the green. When I've played the hole, with my low trajectory, I've generally tried to feed a bouncing shot onto the kickplate. If I were a longer driver and hit it higher, my guess is that playing to the right of the bunker might be a wiser play, at least on some days.
"There's no money in doing less." -- Joe Hancock, 11/25/2010
"Rankings are silly and subjective..." -- Tom Doak, 3/12/2016

Alex Miller

« Reply #69 on: November 05, 2012, 01:21:06 PM »
Wilshire had a few, # 5 and # 15 come to mind.

15 is my favorite hole at Wilshire and it is because of the fairway bunkers and green complex. Absolutely fantastic golf hole! 5 was awesome too.

Also, 3 at Rustic has been mentioned a couple times, but with the way it's being maintained now I'd like to submit that #1 (formerly considered a wash, now more of a bunker IMO) is my favorite centerline hazard at that course.

Patrick_Mucci

« Reply #70 on: November 05, 2012, 10:47:21 PM »
Can't forget the 3rd and 8th at Hidden Creek and you can throw in the 2nd as well.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back