News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

James Boon

BUDA X: Here's where the fun begins...
« on: September 02, 2012, 05:04:46 AM »
After much discussion John and I would like to announce the Wednesday morning matches. We intend to play Greensomes with the first players teeing off at Silloth on Solway GC at 9.30am.

Wednesday Morning Greensomes:

David Nelson 7 v Lynn Shacklford 8
Ben Stephens 6 & Gary See Scr (2) v Bryan Izatt 11 & Mike Whitaker 13 (12)
Conrad Gamble 11 & Giles Payne 11 (11) v Eric Smith 17 & Rich Goodale 9 (12)
Nick Leefe 12 & Niall Carlton 9 (10) v Donal O'Ceallaigh 7 & John Mayhugh 11 (9)
Mark Pearce 9 & James Boon 6 (7) v Jeff Warne Scr & Chris Shaida 15 (6)

Due to the odd numbers, David and Lynn will play singles match play ahead of the rest of us playing Greensomes. I'm sure you are all aware but Greensomes is where both players drive off, then choose their preferred drive before playing alternate shots from then on until holing out.

The above handicaps show the handicaps for the GB team with the handicaps for the Rest of the World adjusted according to a fancy formula / haggling. The number in brackets is the combined number used for Greensomes of which the full difference will be taken. Greensomes handicaps are calculated by multiplying the lower handicap by 0.6 and the higher handicap by 0.4, before adding the two results and then rounding to the nearest whole number.

The afternoon matches will tee off at 2.30pm and we will announce the pairings nearer the time. That evening is then the formal meal, jacket and tie, at the golf club.

The following day will revert to the more traditional foursomes in the morning, fourballs in the afternoon and then the Silloth Beer Festival in the evening! We will be joined on the Thursday by Andrew Mitchell and Darren Kilfara.

For those who will be arriving Tuesday evening the general discussion so far has been to meet in the hotel bar, which for those of us who will have been to Windermere earlier will probably be around 8.30 to 9ish or so.

Any queries please contact John, Mark or myself or post on here.

Cheers,

James
2023 Highlights: Hollinwell (Notts), Brora, Aberdovey, Royal St Davids, Woodhall Spa, Broadstone, Parkstone, Cleeve, Painswick, Minchinhampton, Hoylake

"It celebrates the unadulterated pleasure of being in a dialogue with nature while knocking a ball round on foot." Richard Pennell

Ben Stephens

Re: BUDA X: Here's where the fun begins...
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2012, 06:02:32 AM »
My BUDA X wish has been granted - to play against a GCA legend Whitty again! Look forward to playing against Bryan and Mike!

Greensomes is a very interesting format.

Thank you John and James for organising the pairings!

Cheers
Ben

Scott Warren

« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2012, 06:28:25 AM »
Pearce got down to single figures?! If so, that's awesome!

I predict big wins by Whitty's team (13 is healthy for the man who never misses a fairway) and Conrad and Giles.

Rich Goodale

« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2012, 06:59:23 AM »
How right you are, Scott.  I've already booked a cab to pick Eric and me up at the (great links course obligatory) caravan park adjacent to the 11th tee.  While Conrad and Giles savo(u)r their "win" in a strength-sapping "victory" lap of the final 8 holes, we will be draining the clubhouse bar of all Kummel in preparation for the afternoon round....
Life is good.

Any afterlife is unlikely and/or dodgy.

Jean-Paul Parodi

Mark Pearce

« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2012, 07:31:59 AM »
Scott,

A rather handy late July and August saw me plunge from 14.8 to 8.8.  Three rounds of 5 or more better than CSS saw rule 19 in action twice.....

The Carstairs Cup (awarded to the player with the best nett score in the first two rounds of the Crail GS Club Strokeplay Championship) was won by a cool 11 strokes!

I suspect, however, that playing to 9 might be tougher than getting there.  At least I got there before Cameron and avoided him having a lower handicap than me, he came down from 20 to 12 this summer and was cut to 12 the Monday after my win at Crail, so my cut was timely!
« Last Edit: September 02, 2012, 07:34:50 AM by Mark Pearce »
In June I will be riding the first three stages of this year's Tour de France route for charity.  630km (394 miles) in three days, with 7800m (25,600 feet) of climbing for the William Wates Memorial Trust (https://rideleloop.org/the-charity/) which supports underprivileged young people.

Scott Warren

« Reply #5 on: September 02, 2012, 07:55:20 AM »
That's fantastic mate. I recall predicting the eventual impetus for you to get to 9 might be a rapidly-improving Cameron!

Don't Giles and Conrad owe you a bottle of someyhing nice now?

Mark Pearce

« Reply #6 on: September 02, 2012, 08:13:48 AM »
That's fantastic mate. I recall predicting the eventual impetus for you to get to 9 might be a rapidly-improving Cameron!

Don't Giles and Conrad owe you a bottle of someyhing nice now?
Giles does.  As regards Conrad, I have finally admitted that Monty isn't going to win a Major, a bet we made 20 years go, so we're quits.

To be honest my handicap had been moving steadily upwards but I took a couple of lessons from a different pro and, whilst some of the early results were really, really ugly, it's clear that what he's saying makes sense and is working.
In June I will be riding the first three stages of this year's Tour de France route for charity.  630km (394 miles) in three days, with 7800m (25,600 feet) of climbing for the William Wates Memorial Trust (https://rideleloop.org/the-charity/) which supports underprivileged young people.

Niall C

« Reply #7 on: September 02, 2012, 08:44:02 AM »
Not one to cast aspersions BUT just spent a couple of days trying to hold my own against Mr Whitaker when he was playing off 12 so good luck anyone playing him off 13. Probably some slope/rating nonsense that he was trying to convince me about at Castle Stuart  ;)

Niall

Craig Disher

« Reply #8 on: September 02, 2012, 01:05:55 PM »
If there was ever a thread that made me certain that I will not miss next year, this is it. Play well all and have a great time. I'm really sad not to be there.

Pearce at 9 - finally. I still remember his buzz-saw start at Alwoodley.

Bill_McBride

« Reply #9 on: September 02, 2012, 01:20:29 PM »
If there was ever a thread that made me certain that I will not miss next year, this is it. Play well all and have a great time. I'm really sad not to be there.

Ditto.   :(.  What was I thinking?   That damned Buehler, this is Drinkin' Joe's fault. 

Mark Pearce

« Reply #10 on: September 02, 2012, 05:07:24 PM »
If there are two BUDAites who really will be missed (and there are more) it would be Messrs. Disher and McBride.  Gentlemen, we will toast you in your absence and anticipate your attendance at BUDA XI. 

Michael Whitaker

« Reply #11 on: September 03, 2012, 04:25:52 AM »
I can't believe that Muldoon, Disher and McBride will be absent from the Buda. Never again, please!!!
"Solving the paradox of proportionality is the heart of golf architecture."  - Tom Doak (11/20/05)

Ben Stephens

« Reply #12 on: September 03, 2012, 05:13:39 AM »
I can't believe that Muldoon, Disher and McBride will be absent from the Buda. Never again, please!!!

Also Sweet Lou, The African Animal and the late Jim Goby RIP. There are new as well as old faces I am looking forward to meet

Eric Smith

« Reply #13 on: September 03, 2012, 08:34:53 AM »
All was going well until the absinthe.

Rich Goodale

« Reply #14 on: September 03, 2012, 08:48:35 AM »
All was going well until the absinthe.

Great flash forward, Pajo!  If we can just ply Conrad and Giles with the wormwood tomorrow night, maybe we'll have a fighting chance on Wednesday!
Life is good.

Jean-Paul Parodi

Eric Smith

« Reply #15 on: September 03, 2012, 09:01:52 AM »
I fear tonight may well be another barn burner so you can count on me for consistency!

Andrew Mitchell

« Reply #16 on: September 03, 2012, 09:50:04 AM »
The following day will revert to the more traditional foursomes in the morning, fourballs in the afternoon and then the Silloth Beer Festival in the evening! We will be joined on the Thursday by Andrew Mitchell and Darren Kilfara.

Cheers,

James

Apologies for the late arrival, due to an unavoidable work commitment.

I look forward to meeting up with everyone on Thursday morning.
2014 to date: not actually played anywhere yet!
Still to come: Hollins Hall; Ripon City; Shipley; Perranporth; St Enodoc

ward peyronnin

« Reply #17 on: September 03, 2012, 02:56:58 PM »
I am devastated to miss yet another Buda but hoist several for me boys

AND please try to factor in next years Walker Cup at NGLA dates when organisiing; i just won't miss that venue for anything
"Golf is happiness. It's intoxication w/o the hangover; stimulation w/o the pills. It's price is high yet its rewards are richer. Some say its a boys pastime but it builds men. It cleanses the mind/rejuvenates the body. It is these things and many more for those of us who truly love it." M.Norman

Bill_McBride

« Reply #18 on: September 03, 2012, 03:10:56 PM »
I am devastated to miss yet another Buda but hoist several for me boys

AND please try to factor in next years Walker Cup at NGLA dates when organisiing; i just won't miss that venue for anything

Second that request.  The Walker Cup will be right after Labor Day.   Another June Buda would be great. 

Mark Pearce

« Reply #19 on: September 03, 2012, 03:19:37 PM »
I agree.  That, however, results in a danger of a clash with the US Open.  September is good in non-Walker Cup years as the ours tend to be in good condition.

Without wanting to jinx anything, weather forecasts for the week look pretty good, particularly in a year as miserable as this.

Ulrich Mayring

« Reply #20 on: September 03, 2012, 03:27:34 PM »
Pearce got down to single figures?! If so, that's awesome!

And high time, too! Congrats Mark, finally I'm getting the 4-5 shots off you that I not only deserve, but desperately need! :)

Ulrich
Golf Course Exposé (300+ courses reviewed), Golf CV (how I keep track of 'em)

Bill_McBride

« Reply #21 on: September 04, 2012, 11:44:50 AM »
I agree.  That, however, results in a danger of a clash with the US Open.  September is good in non-Walker Cup years as the ours tend to be in

US Open not a problem, no plans to attend so late night TV will be fine!  The Walker Cup is one to attend in person. 

Rich Goodale

« Reply #22 on: September 04, 2012, 11:56:41 AM »
Bill and Mark

How soon you forget how great it was to watch the Tiger/Meidate US Open in the wee hours at the bar of the Robinson Crusoe in Lower Largo at BUDA VII (or was it VI or VII--time flies....).
Life is good.

Jean-Paul Parodi

Bill_McBride

« Reply #23 on: September 04, 2012, 12:17:34 PM »
Bill and Mark

How soon you forget how great it was to watch the Tiger/Meidate US Open in the wee hours at the bar of the Robinson Crusoe in Lower Largo at BUDA VII (or was it VI or VII--time flies....).

We agree, mon ami, see my post #21 above!

Eric Smith

« Reply #24 on: September 04, 2012, 02:07:23 PM »
Chris Shaida and I have have just finished our dinner at the Renaissance Club with our wonderful host, Simon.  Our driver says two hours to Silloth, but I suspect it'll take a bit longer than that!

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back