News:

Welcome to the Golf Club Atlas Discussion Group!

Please note, each user is approved by the Golf Club Atlas editorial staff. For any new inquiries, please contact us and we will be in contact.

Jamey Bryan

Camden Reopening Today! Kris Spence Renovation
« on: August 31, 2012, 07:24:53 AM »
Greetings All.......

I'm excited to announce that Camden Country Club is opening today following a 3 month closing to allow Kris Spence and his crew to complete Phase One of work to renovate/restore the course.  I had hoped to document the work as it went along, but my camera crapped out on me just before we got started and I had some other issues in my life that kept me from doing a good job of it.  Several people have promised me pictures....   Once I have them I'll get them posted.

The scope of this project:

1)  The old TifEagle greens had a fungus that nobody (Clemson, UGa, USGA, or Carolinas Golf Assn.) could defeat.  The only reasonable alternative was found to be to gas and regrass (with MiniVerde).

2)  In conjunction with #1, several greens needed fairly significant recontouring to restore pin positions on the small greens.  Natural evolution due to topdressing and bunker sandsplash, as well as a somewhat flawed renovation in 2000, had resulted in some slopes around 10% (!!!) in what were supposed to be pinnable areas.

3)  The 2000 renovation had converted a long par 4 (number 14) to a shortish par 5.  The resulting hole had little interest or defense, it was simply a straight 500+ yard hole to the flattest green on the course.  Kris has returned this hole to a par 4, normally playing around 470 from the tips but with an option to stretch it to 500.  Another long 4 on the front (number 7) was lengthened 40 yards and will be a shortish 5 but with significant strategic interest.

4)  The 2000 renovation had significantly changed the bunker/green complex of one par 4 (number 11), eliminating a severe bunker left of the green and replacing it with a green tier.  Kris restored this bunker, and the green complex to it's original long, skinny, almost rectangular footprint.

5)  Several new back tees were added, resulting in a little over 150 yards total additional length. (That doesn't sound like a lot, but the individual tee shots are significantly changed... most mortals will no longer be simply hitting over trees defining doglegs).

6)  On quite a few holes, "natural areas" replaced rough, especially in areas where significant rough was difficult to grow.  These are a work in process as additional wild grasses will be added as the need is determined.

I have to say the course is looking spectacular.  I've rolled putts around on all the new greens, and when we get the new MiniVerde grass up to speed they're really going to be difficult while more playable than the old ones.  Positioning on the approach shots will be even more important than before, and approaching from the best angle will be critical.

One additional cool thing.....   In Ross's 1938/39 renovation, he changed what is now #5 from a long par 3 to a short 4, and #6 from a short, dogleg 4 to a long 3.  Walter Travis's original sand green for #6 was outside the new playing corridor (50 yards or so behind the teebox at the time for #7) and was simply abandoned.  While extending the tee for 7 (it's being converted to a par 5), Kris's supervisor noticed the unusual shaping and confirmed that the original sand green was more or less unchanged (other than some pine trees growing out of it).  We've cleaned out around it, and put up some signage to identify and draw attention to it.

Hopefully I'll get some pictures and add more here....    Now it's time to go play!!

Come see up when an opportunity arises.

Jamey

Bruce Wellmon

Re: Camden Reopening Today! Kris Spence Renovation
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2012, 07:35:43 AM »
Jamey,
         I look foward to seeing it. I'll be in touch.
                          Bruce

Mark Pritchett

« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2012, 07:37:30 AM »
Congratulations to Camden members!

Thanks for the update Jamey. 

Tim Gavrich

« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2012, 07:39:05 AM »
Jamey--

What Bruce and Mark said. Congrats on the renovation. A number of the courses down here in MB have regrassed this summer to new Bermuda greens and they've all benefited from pretty good weather for it over the last couple months.

Cheers; enjoy the new-and-improved course!

--Tim
Senior Writer, GolfPass

Jason Topp

« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2012, 10:22:36 AM »
Jamey - congratulations to the club and best of luck!  I have fond memories of the place even if Whitkaer did beat me in one of the worst played matches in the history of the game.

Ed Homsey

« Reply #5 on: August 31, 2012, 11:11:42 AM »
Jamey--Thanks for the update on Camden's renovation.  I look forward to hearing more, and if you could get pictures to the Travis Society, we will post them on our blogsite.

Ed Homsey
www.travissociety.com

BCrosby

« Reply #6 on: August 31, 2012, 12:02:54 PM »
Jamey -

Thanks for the update. I've wanted to play Camden for years. This provides a new incentive to do so.

Bob

Craig Disher

« Reply #7 on: September 01, 2012, 09:51:31 AM »
Jamey,
I'm looking forward to hearing more at the Dixie Cup - especially on the progress with the MiniVerde. Thanks for the info and congratulations to Camden.

Kris Spence

« Reply #8 on: September 01, 2012, 10:00:44 PM »
I plan on stopping by next week, I am looking forward to seeing and playing the course.  The course will need some time to mature, especially the native rough sandy areas.  The greens at Camden are an interesting mix of Travis and Ross remodel work.  Jamey B and Craig D deserve all the credit for the restoration of the 11th green and left bunker.  Jamie provided a late 30's aerial that revealed some great stuff, prior to that we were working from a 52 photo.  Camden is a great place and has such an old classic feel.  I hope we get to reinstate the Travis mounds and bunkers Ross kept but were removed during the previous reno.  I will take some pics and post next week.  Kris

RJ_Daley

« Reply #9 on: September 01, 2012, 10:20:22 PM »
Is there a phase 2 in the works, or will the current work be given a significant time to mature before any more work is undertaken.

Congrats to Kris and the Camden committee.  And, happy FWs and Greens to Jamey.  8)
No actual golf rounds were ruined or delayed, nor golf rules broken, in the taking of any photographs that may be displayed by the above forum user.

Bruce Wellmon

« Reply #10 on: September 15, 2012, 11:12:32 PM »
Ventured south today with fellow GCA'er Bill Hoyle to revist Camden post Spence renovation.
Of course Jamey Bryan was leading the tour.

Bruce Wellmon

« Reply #11 on: September 15, 2012, 11:18:40 PM »
On quite a few holes, "natural areas" replaced rough, especially in areas where significant rough was difficult to grow.  These are a work in process as additional wild grasses will be added as the need is determined.

In Ross's 1938/39 renovation, he changed what is now #5 from a long par 3 to a short 4

The 5th is a dogleg right par 4, 305 yards, from the #3 tees.

Greenside. The natural area merges with the bunker with an expanded green.  

Tim Gavrich

« Reply #12 on: September 15, 2012, 11:20:39 PM »
Love that; looks great. The smaller native grass tufts look a little more sensible than the ones at Pinehurst, at least at the moment!

Congrats on a great-looking renovation.
Senior Writer, GolfPass

Bruce Wellmon

« Reply #13 on: September 15, 2012, 11:25:18 PM »
The 2000 renovation had significantly changed the bunker/green complex of one par 4 (number 11), eliminating a severe bunker left of the green and replacing it with a green tier.  Kris restored this bunker, and the green complex to it's original long, skinny, almost rectangular footprint.

My cell phone pic doesn't do this bunker justice. THE most improved hole on the course. In addition tree removal on the right side has opened up views on the adjacent horse training facility/track.

Bruce Wellmon

« Reply #14 on: September 15, 2012, 11:27:20 PM »
The 400 yard par 4 15th. Just a great look approaching the green.
« Last Edit: September 15, 2012, 11:41:37 PM by Bruce Wellmon »

Bruce Wellmon

« Reply #15 on: September 15, 2012, 11:49:24 PM »
Congratulations to Camden CC and Kris Spence. In short, I think the changes enhance an already great track.
And thanks to Jamey for his hospitality. One day, I hope you get your wish (moving the pool) and restore #1 to it's original state. A 580 yard par 5 opener.

Bill Hoyle

« Reply #16 on: September 16, 2012, 12:17:15 AM »
Camden was never bad, but the Spence work has made a good track great.  Jamey was a fountain of knowledge and history which was helpful and interesting.  The new waste areas are a fine addition and could even be expanded.  There are many more pin placement options on the challenging greens.  I commend Spence and Camden.  Great work all around.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back