News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

mike_beene

Re: Get To Know 2.0: Sam Morrow
« Reply #25 on: August 30, 2012, 11:41:31 PM »
Used to be a big squash group at the old downtown DAC.Long since torn down but they went out in the country for the golf courses.Think it is 10 grand to join and it is on LBJ.As an old East Dallas boy I have a soft spot for it.Some really good players and some similarity to Champions with the good golf and good players.

Sam Morrow

« Reply #26 on: August 30, 2012, 11:43:14 PM »
Used to be a big squash group at the old downtown DAC.Long since torn down but they went out in the country for the golf courses.Think it is 10 grand to join and it is on LBJ.As an old East Dallas boy I have a soft spot for it.Some really good players and some similarity to Champions with the good golf and good players.

I've played is some games over there and you can't screw around, Digest had a deal a few years ago saying it was the best playing club in America. I'd rather play DAC, I heard people listen to music at Champions.

Mac Plumart

« Reply #27 on: August 31, 2012, 07:57:47 AM »
Could you define "awkwardly nice"?  And then compare and contrast that with people who are "awkward" and seperately "nice."

Sportsman/Adventure loving golfer.

George Pazin

« Reply #28 on: August 31, 2012, 11:19:08 AM »
Could you define "awkwardly nice"?  And then compare and contrast that with people who are "awkward" and seperately "nice."

So nice that you make others feel shame. :)

-----

Sam, have you played Rawls?

What's your favorite hole at Corsicana? Please describe and explain.

What's your favorite hole at Dismal Nicklaus? Same as above, describe and explain.
Big drivers and hot balls are the product of golf course design that rewards the hit one far then hit one high strategy.  Shinny showed everyone how to take care of this whole technology dilemma. - Pat Brockwell, 6/24/04

Sam Morrow

« Reply #29 on: August 31, 2012, 11:51:59 AM »

It means are you much nicer to a bunch of pricks like us then you need to be.

Sam Morrow

« Reply #30 on: August 31, 2012, 12:05:04 PM »

So nice that you make others feel shame. :)

-----

Sam, have you played Rawls?

What's your favorite hole at Corsicana? Please describe and explain.

What's your favorite hole at Dismal Nicklaus? Same as above, describe and explain.

I played Rawls 6 or 7 years ago, very good course, I only got in one quick round so I don't remember tiny details but it's top 10 public in Texas. I'd have to think but it might even be top 5.

For a favorite hole at Corsicana I'm going to go with 3, it's a short par 5, off the top of my head I'm thinking 490ish? It's a big dogleg left where a big hitter can carry some trees and get down the hill with a huge hop. Being a short hitter I usually played out to the right and played it as a 3 shotter. The reason for my not wanting to go for the green is the severity of the green site. First it's a very small green, probably only about 15 or so yards deep and only about 7 or 8 yards wide. There are deep bunkers short left. left, short right, and right, being in these bunkers are very tough. To add some fun there is a severe false front that will run the ball down 30 or 40 yards from the green. When the pin is up front it's very common to see people putt off the green. With a wedge in your hand if you spin your third to much it's not uncommon to suck it off the green. I lked to hit it down at the bottom of that hill in 2 so I could hit a little wedge in there with little spin and stop it. I've seen everything from 3-10 on that hole and I've made everything from 3-7 myself. I've also won skins in scratch games with par on that hole.

The interesting non golf tidbits about that hole are that far left of the hole is Tilly's Lake with some solid fishing and to the right of the hole is the very large Allison Ranch. One day a bull from the ranch got loose and got through the fence somehow, one of my members called me to tell me about the bull. I had to go see what's up, well as I hopped in a cart to go down to 3 I saw this big ass bull and had my phone ready to take pictures. Of course being someone who does before he thinks I got out there and was walking around about 20 yards from the bull, wearing a red shirt and hat. If we didn't have golf carts I could have gored by a bull, if that isn't an argument for carts then I don't know what is.

Favorite hole at Dismal, I think I'm going to go with 6 the short par 4. It's a quirky hole but so is everything at Dismal. Just put it in play and then you have a short approach into a small green that is bowled into the dunes, I saw some interesting things happen on that hole during 5th major. The other holes I considered were 4, 9, 12, 13, 15, and 18. The par 5's at Dismal are exceptional.

Jeff Shelman

« Reply #31 on: August 31, 2012, 01:27:04 PM »
What prompted you to get out of the golf business? Are you happier now? Do you enjoy the game more now?

How frequently do you walk while playing in the Houston summer?

Sam Morrow

« Reply #32 on: August 31, 2012, 02:01:22 PM »
What prompted you to get out of the golf business? Are you happier now? Do you enjoy the game more now?

How frequently do you walk while playing in the Houston summer?

I enjoy the game much more. As for the walking if I walk in the Houston summer it's just in the evenings. 100 Degrees with 90% humidity is not healthy to walk in.

Mac Plumart

« Reply #33 on: August 31, 2012, 02:51:47 PM »

In the words of Gabriel Shear, "Don't confuse kindness for weakness."   ;)

Perhaps more applicable to hanging around you low-lives...2 Cor 6 : 1-13

:) :) :)

Sam Morrow

« Reply #34 on: August 31, 2012, 02:55:09 PM »

In the words of Gabriel Shear, "Don't confuse kindness for weakness."   ;)

Perhaps more applicable to hanging around you low-lives...2 Cor 6 : 1-13

:) :) :)

Well done sir but people already know you. :D

mike_beene

« Reply #35 on: August 31, 2012, 03:45:09 PM »
What are the holes at Whispering you think are weak.I am guessing 18,9,and 12 will be on your list?

Cory Lewis

« Reply #36 on: August 31, 2012, 04:12:29 PM »
What are the top 10 courses you want to see that you haven't yet?

Instagram: @2000golfcourses
http://2000golfcourses.blogspot.com

mike_beene

« Reply #37 on: August 31, 2012, 04:57:20 PM »
Mac,confused as to the 2 cor 6 reference?I need enlightenment because just reading it ???

Mac Plumart

« Reply #38 on: August 31, 2012, 07:36:37 PM »
Mike...

The context of me citing that verse of Scripture was me answering Sam regarding why I'm so nice to all the "pricks" on the site.  (Please note I'm using Sam's verbage and light heartedness).   8)

In a nutshell, this is why I posted it...That verse speaks to the concept that our actions speak louder than our words.  In the course of each day, each action and each word you speak you are being watched by everyone and evaluated.  It is, therefore, a test of one's faith and a test of one's endurance to tolerate and remain civil and nice to a bunch of "pricks."  Even if it is sometimes awkward.   :D :) :D

However, Sam...I've taken your point to heart.  I'm not going to be so nice anymore.  In fact, I've changed my hosting criteria.

;D

Back to the thread...Sam...do you belong to any private clubs?  Which ones?  Why do you like them so much?  Are you eyeing joining any others?  Why?
« Last Edit: August 31, 2012, 07:40:27 PM by Mac Plumart »

Mac Plumart

« Reply #39 on: August 31, 2012, 08:06:24 PM »
Sam...

Let's REALLY get to know you.

Romney or Obama.

Sam Morrow

« Reply #40 on: August 31, 2012, 10:34:25 PM »
What are the holes at Whispering you think are weak.I am guessing 18,9,and 12 will be on your list?

Yes Mike, 9 isn't a bad hole but seems out of character with the rest of the course. The course has that rugged look and 9 looks like a Fazio or Nicklaus style hole. I like 10 but in all my rounds I've never seen a pin anywhere but front. 12 Just isn't a very good hole and flows nothing with the course. 18 Needs a bigger green and with the little waterfall doesn't fit in with everything else. I'm curious to see the short course they are building, Chet Williams is doing in too.

Sam Morrow

« Reply #41 on: August 31, 2012, 10:51:21 PM »
What are the top 10 courses you want to see that you haven't yet?

You guys already say my top 10 in Texas I wanna see. Here is my top 10 in America (I have no particular order)

1. Pine Valley, It's been ranked up there all these years so something good must be going on. From an airplane it looks amazing. I made it to the front gate and offered the guard $20 to let me in, he didn't think it was funny.

2. Augusta National, it's Augusta that pretty much says anything.

3. Pinehurst #2, one of the original American gems, I've never played a Ross so it's only reasonable I start at the top, plus I'm a Coore and Crenshaw buttboy.

4. Shinnecock, looks so cool and so hard, plus I've watched a few Opens played there.

5. Cypress Point, pictures make it look out of this world, Lord of the Rings like.

6. Pebble Beach, it's Pebble Beach, might take my old dog so she that damned rabbit doesn't have all the fun.

7. Tobacco Road, the place looks crazy.

8. Ballyneal, I feel like I played all the other great prairie courses this summer and then when I've played it I can have a compare and contrast thread with it and Dismal. I'm sure that will go smoothly and no in fighting will erupt.

9. Chambers Bay, it looks so cool and I love me some RTJ Jr.

10. Oakmont, just wanna see if I can break 90.

Now my Top 10 I wanna play outside America, again in no particular order.

1. The Old Course, no explanation needed.

2. Carnoustie, Hogan won his Open there.

3. Valderrama, looks just like the Texas Hill Country.

4. Royal Melbourne, one of the coolest looking places ever.

5. Cabot Links, I'll wait until the other course opens.

6. Royal County Down, another place that looks out of this world.

7. Cape Kidnappers, see above.

8. Sagebrush, the Kings Putter pictures look really neat.

9. Banff Springs, I used to play it on the computer game when I was a kid.

10. Mission Hills, I can play like 13 courses and never need to leave the property.

Sam Morrow

« Reply #42 on: August 31, 2012, 10:53:11 PM »
Mike...

The context of me citing that verse of Scripture was me answering Sam regarding why I'm so nice to all the "pricks" on the site.  (Please note I'm using Sam's verbage and light heartedness).   8)

In a nutshell, this is why I posted it...That verse speaks to the concept that our actions speak louder than our words.  In the course of each day, each action and each word you speak you are being watched by everyone and evaluated.  It is, therefore, a test of one's faith and a test of one's endurance to tolerate and remain civil and nice to a bunch of "pricks."  Even if it is sometimes awkward.   :D :) :D

However, Sam...I've taken your point to heart.  I'm not going to be so nice anymore.  In fact, I've changed my hosting criteria.

;D

Back to the thread...Sam...do you belong to any private clubs?  Which ones?  Why do you like them so much?  Are you eyeing joining any others?  Why?

I'm a member at the exclusive semi-private Cypress Lakes Golf Club in Cypress, Texas, it's a Jim Fazio brute that the Houston Chronicle says has the best greens on town. I'd love to join other places but between time and a lack of money it's not a good idea. Plus my Mother's family is Jewish so I'm held out of many places.

Sam Morrow

« Reply #43 on: August 31, 2012, 10:55:10 PM »
Sam...

Let's REALLY get to know you.

Romney or Obama.

Romney, 4 years ago a 250lb 22 year old single mother of 4 told me that Obama was going to buy me a car and a house. 4 Years later I still drive a Nissan with 200,000 miles and live in an apartment. The man continues to hold me down and dammit I'm not gonna take it. Of course after reading this I will get a private message from Bernhardt with lots of frowny faces and attempted guilt trips.

Mac Plumart

« Reply #44 on: September 01, 2012, 08:28:11 AM »
But you've solidified a friendship with someone in Atlanta.

So you've got that goin' for you.

:)

Terry Lavin

« Reply #45 on: September 01, 2012, 11:45:23 AM »
Paging George Pazin!
Nobody ever went broke underestimating the intelligence of the American people.  H.L. Mencken

Sam Morrow

« Reply #46 on: September 01, 2012, 02:02:54 PM »
But you've solidified a friendship with someone in Atlanta.

So you've got that goin' for you.

:)

That's all that matters!

K. Krahenbuhl

« Reply #47 on: September 03, 2012, 12:16:51 AM »
Sam,

What is your lowest round (when)?  Current index (low round of 2012)?

Sam Morrow

« Reply #48 on: September 03, 2012, 12:22:39 AM »
Sam,

What is your lowest round (when)?  Current index (low round of 2012)?

Shot 10 under 59 at Heron Lakes the little course on the beltway. The lowest I've ever been on what would be considered a full length course was I think 8 under, maybe 7. It's been so many years that I can't even remember for sure. I think my index is 2.8 right now but I've only played 1 round since I got back from Nebraska 2 months ago. I shot 70 and that was probably my lowest round of the year.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back