News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

PCCraig

My home course is currently considering a complete renovation of all of its roughly 55 bunkers. Most of the bunkers had been rebuilt within the past 20 years or so, but they were built to varying specifications and their quality ranges a bit. The Superintendent and Green Committee seem to be unanimous in their desire to build "grass-faced, flat bottom" style bunkers and most of the membership is on board and supportive of the project getting done eventually.

I did some searching in the GCA archives looking for more information on bunker restorations and renovations and while I found a lot of scattered information and opinions on various projects undertaken over the past ~12 years, there is not an all encompassing thread which focuses on the best (and worst) bunker renovations, best practices, etc. that might be very helpful to someone like myself looking more more information on the subject.

I'm hoping that fellow GCAers would be willing to weigh in on the following topics with regard to their experiences with bunker work:

*Has your club undergone a bunker renovation? Can you share your experience? Was the work done in-house? Was an architect involved? Was it part of a greater master plan?

*What are a few key factors that should be considered in order to properly sell the project to the membership?

*What are some of the most significant and successful bunker renovations completed to date?

*Any thoughts regarding completing the work in-house vs. using a contractor?

*Any thoughts regarding completing the work over time (~3 years) or all at once?

*Generally speaking, what does a bunker renovation cost to complete?

*Any regrets or things you wish you would of known or considered prior to undertaking the bunker project?

*Does anyone have high quality before-and-after photos of bunker renovation/restoration work they are willing to share or can link to?

Thanks.
H.P.S.

Howard Riefs

Re: Bunker Restoration & Renovation - Techniques and Best Practices
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2012, 05:34:56 PM »
I can't provide specific answers, but will point you to this tremendous resource on the renovation work at LACC North. It provides a comprehensive view of the work that Hanse, Shackelford and others did over 5 years.

https://www.thelacc.org/files/NorthCourse_Commemorative_Edition.pdf

"Golf combines two favorite American pastimes: Taking long walks and hitting things with a stick."  ~P.J. O'Rourke

Randy Thompson

« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2012, 05:36:34 PM »
P CrAIG,
Can you send me your email. I am agolf@chilesat.net

JMEvensky

« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2012, 05:47:46 PM »

*What are a few key factors that should be considered in order to properly sell the project to the membership?

In my limited experience,it's actually a very easy sell--the dollar amount notwithstanding. Bunkers may be the easiest capital project to sell to a membership.

Most believe that their poor bunker play is the fault of the bunkers or the Super.Use this to your advantage.Extol the virtues of new sand and drainage and how these will result in fewer bad lies.Explain how the grass faces will cut down on maintenance costs and end the dreaded buried lie in the face of a bunker.

If sold properly,the membership will pass the motion unanimously.

Mike McGuire

« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2012, 11:58:24 PM »
For me the skill of the shaper is the  important issue.

We hired Kye Goalby to restore 2 bunkers on our Langford 9 at West Bend two years ago. Turned out spectacular.

Next project is to add some fairway bunkers on our Gill 9.

Kye is an architect as well. Having an architect on the machine is a good combo. A technique I think Tom Doak invented/ perfected.
When the architect on the machine has built some of the best stuff on the planet and understands classic architecture, it's a no brainier.

Hire a mediocre architect who hires a mediocre- shaper, project has a good chance of being mediocre.

PCCraig

« Reply #5 on: August 29, 2012, 09:56:57 AM »
In doing some reasearch online, I found a pretty interesting cost breakdown of a renovated bunker. The following images come from the following http://lohmanncompanies.blogspot.com/2010/02/why-do-renovated-bunkers-cost-so-much.html

H.P.S.

PCCraig

« Reply #6 on: August 29, 2012, 10:35:37 AM »
Here is another fantastic run down of a Ron Forse-lead bunker renovation / restoration at Golden Valley G&CC here in Minnesota in case anyone is interested: http://www.tillinghast.net/Tillinghast/golden_valley_bunker_RESTORATION.html
H.P.S.

Tyler Kearns

« Reply #7 on: August 29, 2012, 10:49:40 AM »
Pat,

We recently completed a bunker clean-out program which involved a contractor who removed old sand, hauled it away to the maintenance yard, installed new drainage for approx. $1,200 per bunker. The golf course staff installed the 4" layer of new sand. Total, including the cost of contractor, drainage materials and sand we spend about $2,000 per bunker. This project did not include any major reshaping of bunkers, just some very minor tweaks to improve maintenance or visibility.

TK

ward peyronnin

« Reply #8 on: August 29, 2012, 12:45:47 PM »
Drainage....drainage....drainage.

I have seen in house bunker restoration work at my former course where there is all kind of grade differentials and they never took advantage of this to introduce positive drainage from the bunker.Also;  My company was an underground contractor for years and I observed more than once these crews placing drain inlets away from  the lo points in the bunker...remarkable and no wonder they didn't hold up.

Critical to have whoever is installing adequately demonstrate that they will successfully divert water entering the bunker and  remove water from the bunker
"Golf is happiness. It's intoxication w/o the hangover; stimulation w/o the pills. It's price is high yet its rewards are richer. Some say its a boys pastime but it builds men. It cleanses the mind/rejuvenates the body. It is these things and many more for those of us who truly love it." M.Norman

Powell Arms

« Reply #9 on: August 29, 2012, 01:42:55 PM »
At Philly Cricket, we renovated bunkers in 2010 that were built in 2002.  The work was done in house, over seven weeks in early 2010 for the  Militia Hill course.  The unique aspect is that they were all done with pourous asphault liners.  They hold up great and require minimal maintenance after rains, even after some of the biblical storms expereicend in Aug 2011 in Philly. 

Some before and after video is here:

http://philacricketgm.blogspot.com/2009/12/photo-above-shows-how-greenside-bunker.html

Shoot me an email an I can give you more detail.
PowellArms@gmail.com
@PWArms

Bill Hyde

« Reply #10 on: August 29, 2012, 03:25:36 PM »
We did a bunker project at CC of Detroit in 2005 which we had to re-do to some degree again in 2010. I do not have the specifics of the finances, but it was major ($1.5MM?? for 70+ bunkers) with relocation of many fairway bunkers and reshaping of all others. Keith Foster did a nice job, but we failed on two fronts: 1) We chose a horrible batch of sand which we have since replaced and 2) we used the liners displayed in one of the images above. The liners invariably poked through the sand in many spots (we have STEEP faces on many bunkers) and the staples used to secure the liners popped out after each winter freeze and caused a maintenance nightmare.

My advice, choose your sand very carefully, it's an expensive mistake. Oh, and skip the liners. In our re-do, we used Klingstone which is a product you spray on the soil that forms a barrier and holds the sand in place on the steeper faces...it has worked quite well. I am intrigued by the PCC asphalt method, I would guess it helps keep the sand firmer. We have issues with "softness" in our bunkers which leads to some plugged balls, etc.

Good luck!

Mike Nuzzo

« Reply #11 on: August 29, 2012, 03:35:20 PM »
Oh, and skip the liners. In our re-do, we used Klingstone which is a product you spray on the soil that forms a barrier and holds the sand in place on the steeper faces...it has worked quite well. I am intrigued by the PCC asphalt method, I would guess it helps keep the sand firmer. We have issues with "softness" in our bunkers which leads to some plugged balls, etc.

Thank you for sharing Bill

Were your bunkers hand raked or mechanically raked?
Klingstone is a "liner", it isn't a fabric, and costs more than fabric liners.
It is quite firm, I'd be surprised if asphalt, also a liner, firms up the sand more.

How often is some plugged balls?
What types of shots?
Don't hit it in the bunker if you don't want a plugged lie.

Have fun
Cheers
Thinking of Bob, Rihc, Bill, George, Neil, Dr. Childs, & Tiger.

Bill Hyde

« Reply #12 on: August 29, 2012, 04:28:37 PM »
Here are my responses Mike

Were your bunkers hand raked or mechanically raked?

- Our bunkers are hand raked 75% of the time

Klingstone is a "liner", it isn't a fabric, and costs more than fabric liners.

- I was referring to those horrible mesh things, I highly recommend against them.

It is quite firm, I'd be surprised if asphalt, also a liner, firms up the sand more.

- You may be right, the bunkers just seem to be softer than I had hoped, especially with the new Pro Angle sand we installed.

How often is some plugged balls?

- 10% of the time

What types of shots?

- Higher iron shots, usually green side bunkers

Don't hit it in the bunker if you don't want a plugged lie.

- Thanks for the tip, I'll stop!!

[/quote]

Jerry Lemons

« Reply #13 on: August 29, 2012, 05:45:13 PM »
The asphalt layer does a nice job in stopping erosion on sloped bunkers. We use the Better Billy Bunker now as it cost about the same as a liner and is easier to install though.

Here is a nice breakdown on the the renovation at Cowboy Club where it is being install now.

http://rossgolfdesign.blogspot.com/

BetterBillybunker.com  Gleneagles and Bethpage  just played last week on this method. Great for steep bunkers that have washed in the past.
Times flys and your the pilot !

Blake Conant

« Reply #14 on: August 30, 2012, 07:57:52 AM »
At Philly Cricket, we renovated bunkers in 2010 that were built in 2002.  The work was done in house, over seven weeks in early 2010 for the  Militia Hill course.  The unique aspect is that they were all done with pourous asphault liners.

Peachtree was in the process of renovating their bunkers with this porous asphalt liner when I was there last summer.  They were staggering out the renovation, but had done enough that the assistant super raved about em. 

Mike Nuzzo

« Reply #15 on: August 30, 2012, 08:59:34 AM »
Thank you Bill and you're welcome for the tip.  :)
The mechanical rake can far more easily bring/tear up the edges of the meshy stuff
Thinking of Bob, Rihc, Bill, George, Neil, Dr. Childs, & Tiger.

PCCraig

« Reply #16 on: August 30, 2012, 09:06:55 AM »
At Philly Cricket, we renovated bunkers in 2010 that were built in 2002.  The work was done in house, over seven weeks in early 2010 for the  Militia Hill course.  The unique aspect is that they were all done with pourous asphault liners.

Peachtree was in the process of renovating their bunkers with this porous asphalt liner when I was there last summer.  They were staggering out the renovation, but had done enough that the assistant super raved about em. 

Generally speaking, can anyone speak to the positives and negatives of either completing the work over a short period of time versus staggering out the work over a longer period (multiple years)?

Thanks.
H.P.S.

Randy Thompson

« Reply #17 on: August 30, 2012, 09:34:42 AM »
Pat,
If you have to enter a boxing match and you know you canīt win, would you prefer to be knocked out in the first or second round or take a severe beating each and every round for up to fifteen rounds. Most golfers seems to me to look at these types of projects in this manner. Secondly, I think one of the most important issues with bunkers is that they need to be somewhat consistent and streching the porject over years will produce a lot inconsitency throughout the round but that could be avoided if everybody would just take Mikeīs advice and just not hit into them to begin with! ;D

Jerry Lemons

« Reply #18 on: August 30, 2012, 09:40:17 AM »
Peachtree did not use asphalt.they used Better Billy Bunkrr. Tdi golf completed 60k of bunkrrs in 50 days. I agrre that sand selection and drainge both internal and external (eliminate all surface water into the bunker) are key items.
Times flys and your the pilot !

Jeff_Brauer

« Reply #19 on: August 30, 2012, 10:22:56 AM »
For the record, Ed Easley did call me to consult on bunker reduction and reshaping at Cowboys, and we drew the schematic plans.  Ed was hesitant to call, wondering if I would pull the super ego gca thing on him, but we worked together nicely to reduce bunker size, while maintaining the original design intent.  Sort of like taking a mulligan after seeing how things really play after ten years, and rethinking a 2000 era design, where cost was a minimal object to 2012, where little used bunkers make a difference.

The only bunkers I felt should have stayed were the back bunkers on 17, albeit, the finished product doesn't look too bad.
Jeff Brauer, ASGCA Director of Outreach

Brian Ross

« Reply #20 on: August 31, 2012, 10:18:23 PM »
For the record, Ed Easley did call me to consult on bunker reduction and reshaping at Cowboys, and we drew the schematic plans.  Ed was hesitant to call, wondering if I would pull the super ego gca thing on him, but we worked together nicely to reduce bunker size, while maintaining the original design intent.  Sort of like taking a mulligan after seeing how things really play after ten years, and rethinking a 2000 era design, where cost was a minimal object to 2012, where little used bunkers make a difference.

The only bunkers I felt should have stayed were the back bunkers on 17, albeit, the finished product doesn't look too bad.

Hey Jeff,

I'm glad to hear that.  I had wondered if you were aware of the work we are doing but had never bothered to ask Ed and didn't want to be the one to break it to you if you didn't know.  Overall, everything is going well.  The new bunkers are draining great and everyone seems happy with the results.  We have completed 1-3 and 16-18 thus far and are working on 4 and 15 right now.  We had a hell of a time trying to get those bunkers behind #3 to under 25% but we finally got there.  We should be done sometime around the beginning of October.  I'd be glad to send you more pictures as we progress if you're interested.  

I actually agree with you on the back bunkers on #17 but I think we might be in the minority.  Everyone else seemed happy to see them go.  I think the final product looks good though.  I also wouldn't have minded keeping the bunker furthest to the right of those along the fairway at #1.  The new grass hollow there should still prove a suitable hazard for anyone ending up in there though.  

Also, I met John Colligan the other day.  TDI just finished up a total reno for him over at L.B. Houston.  He mentioned that he used to work for you.  I'm looking forward to seeing the final product over there once they open up here in a week or two.  Looks pretty good so far.
« Last Edit: August 31, 2012, 10:21:55 PM by Brian Ross »
Time is but the stream I go a-fishing in.

http://www.rossgolfarchitects.com

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back