News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Mark_Rowlinson

Some UK golf holes for you to recognise 3
« on: August 28, 2012, 01:13:54 PM »
I found a mystery file on my Mac, which turns out to have been old 35mm golf transparencies taken between the 1960s and early 1990s. They had been transferred from an old Microsoft computer and many of their titles were missing. I’ve had a go at guessing which courses these might be, but some I am still unsure of.  The quality is pretty awful. These are all UK courses and these are all 3rd holes. Would you like the fun of guessing with me?

A

A short par three across a valley to a domed green.

B

That stream should give it away, but I’m not sure.

C

A well-known course, but I’ve never noticed that particular background when playing there.

D

A former European Tour venue.

E

I must have played here, but I don’t recall this particular hole, which is strange given its situation.

F

Not sure!

G

A very well-known named hole.

H

This course has featured in the previous two threads.

I

I think I know, but I wouldn’t like to bet on it!

J

K

J and K are familiar to many GCAers.

L

The background may help identify it. It is one of the better known inland courses in a county noted for its links.

M

N

M and N - a links which has hosted the PGA Championship – not well known these days.

O

I haven’t the slightest clue!

P

Here's another 3rd hole which I missed yesterday and again I haven't a clue!
« Last Edit: August 29, 2012, 05:29:23 AM by Mark_Rowlinson »

jeffwarne

Re: Some UK golf holes for you to recognise 3
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2012, 02:04:19 PM »
G - third hole Aberdovey
"Let's slow the damned greens down a bit, not take the character out of them." Tom Doak
"Take their focus off the grass and put it squarely on interesting golf." Don Mahaffey

James Boon

« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2012, 02:07:45 PM »
Mark,

I'm going to guess at C being Hunstanton? But thats a big guess!

Cheers,

James
2023 Highlights: Hollinwell, Brora, Parkstone, Cavendish, Hallamshire, Sandmoor, Moortown, Elie, Crail, St Andrews (Himalayas & Eden), Chantilly, M, Hardelot Les Pins

"It celebrates the unadulterated pleasure of being in a dialogue with nature while knocking a ball round on foot." Richard Pennell

Mark_Rowlinson

« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2012, 02:20:43 PM »
Jeff, Third hole indeed Aberdovey
James, C is not Hunstanton, but it is a links course.

I am beginning to think that F and L are the same course and that one of the pictures may be wrongly numbered.

Paul_Turner

« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2012, 02:22:36 PM »
B looks like Ilkley to me.  C Brancaster.
can't get to heaven with a three chord song

Sean_A

« Reply #5 on: August 28, 2012, 02:23:46 PM »
J Is Wallasey #3. 

Ciao
New plays planned for 2024: Nothing

jeffwarne

« Reply #6 on: August 28, 2012, 02:28:08 PM »
N 1st hole ashburnham
"Let's slow the damned greens down a bit, not take the character out of them." Tom Doak
"Take their focus off the grass and put it squarely on interesting golf." Don Mahaffey

Sean_A

« Reply #7 on: August 28, 2012, 02:38:26 PM »
N 1st hole ashburnham

Is M the 3rd?

I spose K must be Wallasey #3 as well?

Ciao
« Last Edit: August 28, 2012, 02:40:32 PM by Sean Arble »

Sean_A

« Reply #8 on: August 28, 2012, 02:43:13 PM »
B looks like Ilkley to me.  C Brancaster.

C kind of looks like Brancaster's 11th.

Ciao

Paul_Turner

« Reply #9 on: August 28, 2012, 03:03:30 PM »
Sean

My guess is it's the 3rd at Brancaster.  The big bunker to the left of the green and looking inland from there.

James Boon

« Reply #10 on: August 28, 2012, 03:42:45 PM »
Sean, Paul,

I thought about C as Brancaster but the hills in the background look too close which was why I went a little further down the coast. perhaps its the perspective from that bunker and they are actually much further away?

Cheers,

James
2023 Highlights: Hollinwell, Brora, Parkstone, Cavendish, Hallamshire, Sandmoor, Moortown, Elie, Crail, St Andrews (Himalayas & Eden), Chantilly, M, Hardelot Les Pins

"It celebrates the unadulterated pleasure of being in a dialogue with nature while knocking a ball round on foot." Richard Pennell

Paul Nash

« Reply #11 on: August 28, 2012, 03:59:36 PM »
Mark - not sure and lacking a lot of heather but is D 15 at Sunningdale Old?

Mark_Rowlinson

« Reply #12 on: August 29, 2012, 04:17:21 AM »
C is 3rd at Brancaster. The green is so raised up that it obscures the salt marsh beyond it, giving the illusion that the hills are closer to hand.
D is not Sunningdale.
J and K are both the 3rd at Wallasey.
I think M and N are both the 3rd at Ashburnham.
B is Ilkley - I don't remember the sheep!

Paul_Turner

« Reply #13 on: August 29, 2012, 08:42:23 PM »
Mark

Re Ilkely...I don't remember sheep either.  I played there around 1984 I would guess.

Anders Rytter

« Reply #14 on: August 29, 2012, 09:59:44 PM »
I found a mystery file on my Mac, which turns out to have been old 35mm golf transparencies taken between the 1960s and early 1990s. They had been transferred from an old Microsoft computer and many of their titles were missing. I’ve had a go at guessing which courses these might be, but some I am still unsure of.  The quality is pretty awful. These are all UK courses and these are all 3rd holes. Would you like the fun of guessing with me?

O

I haven’t the slightest clue!

Mark,
Im getting even more confidence now. This is  Rungsted too. The "New" 3rd

Mark_Rowlinson

« Reply #15 on: August 30, 2012, 05:51:40 AM »
Thank you, Anders. I think there will be more.

Anders Rytter

« Reply #16 on: August 30, 2012, 07:46:29 PM »

P

Here's another 3rd hole which I missed yesterday and again I haven't a clue!

I missed P too, it's also Rungsted. 3rd green down 7 fairway. Funny thing, originally 3rd was a par 4 playing from current 2nd tee down 7 fairway to this green. Hence, your picture is taken down the original 1937 3rd hole.
« Last Edit: August 31, 2012, 08:34:35 AM by Anders Rytter »

Mark_Rowlinson

« Reply #17 on: August 31, 2012, 01:53:01 PM »
Here, I hope, are the solutions. Fingers crossed!

A Llanymynech - this is a view from the right side of the green - you miss short or on either side at your peril!
B Ilkley
C Royal West Norfolk
D Fulford in York, which used to host the Benson and Hedges and other European Tour Events. I played there many times in the 80s and 90s always in early July and it was almost always the best conditioned course I would play all year. It is flat as a pancake, but very cleverly laid out. I think CA MacKenzie is credited with the design, although you will often see Alister's name given. I have done so myself, but I was wrong!
E I still haven't a clue. I don't think it's outside the UK, or even outside England, because I have not played continental European golf when the trees are bare, apart from a round a Cannes-Mougins when I didn't take a camera.
F It looks like Clitheroe to me. It's a very engaging parkland course in central Lancashire. You would never play it in preference to the famous coastal courses, but if you happened to be in the area it would be worth dropping by. The town of Clitheroe is very attractive with its ruined castle and an excellent independent wine merchant, Byrne's. A visit to their cellars is a must for any oenophile!
G Aberdovey, Cader hole - used to have a periscope. Does it still? Has anyone been there recently?
H Bramall Park - this a brute of a picture, for even if you know the course well, you are well out of position if you finish here! BP is one of those courses that is better than the sum of its parts. It's a 19th century club that had its course revamped by Alister MacKenzie but chose to have it made less demanding by Braid (I think). It's one of the better Manchester suburban courses and I enjoyed 5-day membership there back in the 80s when I worked for the BBC. I still have an affection for it.
I This is the 3rd at Thetford, a lovely course which seems to fly under GCA radar. There will be more photos from it.
J and K are Wallasey. A very good links, if not quite in the Ivy League.
L This is certainly Clitheroe.
M and N are the same hole at Ashburnham, a links course on the South Wales coast, although there are precious few sea views.
O Rungsted - Anders has identified it, thank goodness!
P Rungsted also - see the detective work of Anders in the preceding post.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back