News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Mark_Rowlinson

Some UK golf holes for you to recognise 2
« on: August 28, 2012, 12:55:22 PM »
I found a mystery file on my Mac, which turns out to have been old 35mm golf transparencies taken between the 1960s and early 1990s. They had been transferred from an old Microsoft computer and many of their titles were missing. I’ve had a go at guessing which courses these might be, but some I am still unsure of.  The quality is pretty awful. These are all UK courses and these are all 2nd holes. Would you like the fun of guessing with me?

A.

One of the less praised holes on this links.

B

This is a view from behind the green of one of the best second holes I have played.

C

The son of a former professional here went on to have a good career on the American professional circuit pre WW2.

D

The tee shot on this short par four is played directly over those trees. They are getting ever taller!

E

I have an idea, but I’m not 100% sure.

F

I really don’t remember where this is!

G

What a place to play golf! A real favourite.

Tom_Doak

Re: Some UK golf holes for you to recognise 2
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2012, 01:04:51 PM »
I don't recognize many of them (so much for my photographic memory!) but the last two are of Southerndown, and you're completely right in your assessment of that place.

James Boon

« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2012, 01:55:05 PM »
Mark,

These are great, but I'm struggling to recognise many of them, and yet wouldn't be surprised if you went on to tell us that a couple of them were from one of my favourite courses somewhere...  ::)

Cheers,

James
2023 Highlights: Hollinwell (Notts), Brora, Aberdovey, Royal St Davids, Woodhall Spa, Broadstone, Parkstone, Cleeve, Painswick, Minchinhampton, Hoylake

"It celebrates the unadulterated pleasure of being in a dialogue with nature while knocking a ball round on foot." Richard Pennell

Paul_Turner

« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2012, 01:58:41 PM »
Mark

I'm pretty sure A is Hunstanton.  Looking over the 3rd? green towards that ridge for 13 th and 14th
can't get to heaven with a three chord song

Paul_Turner

« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2012, 02:00:01 PM »
Is E Aldeburgh?
can't get to heaven with a three chord song

Mark_Rowlinson

« Reply #5 on: August 28, 2012, 02:24:09 PM »
Paul, A is Hunstanton - you can see the oscillator which is behind the 14th green in the distance. However, E is not Aldeburgh. I'm getting cold feet about where it might be, but I know it's not Aldeburgh.

Sean_A

« Reply #6 on: August 28, 2012, 02:24:35 PM »
Mark

I'm pretty sure A is Hunstanton.  Looking over the 3rd? green towards that ridge for 13 th and 14th

For sure.

Ciao
New plays planned for 2024:Winterfield, Alnmouth, Camden, Palmetto Bluff Crossroads Course, Colleton River Dye Course  & Old Barnwell

Anders Rytter

« Reply #7 on: August 29, 2012, 10:11:43 PM »
I found a mystery file on my Mac, which turns out to have been old 35mm golf transparencies taken between the 1960s and early 1990s. They had been transferred from an old Microsoft computer and many of their titles were missing. I’ve had a go at guessing which courses these might be, but some I am still unsure of.  The quality is pretty awful. These are all UK courses and these are all 2nd holes. Would you like the fun of guessing with me?

F

I really don’t remember where this is!

Rungsted, haven't got a good picture from behind the green on 2nd

John Mayhugh

« Reply #8 on: August 29, 2012, 10:26:59 PM »
The contours on the first of the Southerdown (G) photos are spectacular.  Better than my digital ones from two years ago.

Mark_Rowlinson

« Reply #9 on: August 30, 2012, 05:49:55 AM »
Anders, Brilliant! Yes I have played it and as I had assumed all these slides were UK I never considered that it could be Denmark. There will be one or two more in that case. Thank you.

Mark_Rowlinson

« Reply #10 on: August 30, 2012, 01:24:32 PM »
To put you out of further mystery:

A Hunstanton
B Crowborough Beacon
C Aberdovey from behind the 2nd green looking back
D Bramall Park
E Possibly Thetford but I stand to be corrected
F Rungsted, thank you Anders!
G Southerndown

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back