News:

Welcome to the Golf Club Atlas Discussion Group!

Please note, each user is approved by the Golf Club Atlas editorial staff. For any new inquiries, please contact us and we will be in contact.

JR Potts

Re: Mobile Phones are essential on a golf course in this day and age.
« Reply #125 on: August 28, 2012, 10:32:44 PM »
So let me ask all of those who can't stop using their electronic devices during a round, if you were invited to ANGC for a round, would you decline due to your habit and the club's policy on electronic devices ?

Please, I'd like to see the answer from each of you who declared that you couldn't be without the use for 4-5 hours.

Thanks

Like I said, I follow the rules.  I played without my phone at Chicago Golf last week, spent three days at the Masters in 2011 without my phone and repeatedly play Butler National without my phone.  The rules don't permit cell phone use....so I don't use it.

That said, the prohibition on electronic devices would limits my availability to play those courses routinely (amongst other obvious issues).

Wayne - well said.

Jeff Shelman

« Reply #126 on: August 28, 2012, 11:26:54 PM »
Pat,

I said that I check my phone while I'm on my home course and/or playing some courses in the Twin Cities.

There have been plenty of times in which I have left my phone in the car or had it off in my bag. In those situations, the golf is planned in advance, I have put myself in a position in which people at the office know I'm going to be out of pocket for several hours and won't be able to be reached. Obviously if I'm at a club where phones are banned, I'm not using my phone.

That's very different from playing in the late afternoon/evening on a work day.

Kalen Braley

« Reply #127 on: August 29, 2012, 11:38:04 AM »
Pat,

I'll play along, so I'll offer the following:.

If you or whomever lands me an invite to play ANGC, I'll not only turn off my phone, but I'll flush it down the toilet in the crows nest.

Until then, I"ll continue to use it discretely on the course as needed

...the ball is in your court now to put me to the test!!   ;D

Brent Hutto

« Reply #128 on: August 29, 2012, 11:44:21 AM »
I'm exactly as willing to forgo use of my iPhone as I am to dress myself in a jacket and tie to eat lunch in the clubhouse of certain clubs.

I will more or less gladly do either or both of those things as a one-off. Sometimes it's part of an invitation that I very much appreciate either due to the golf course involved, the person who is hosting or both.

But I would never join a club that required me to do either of those things on a regular basis. Life's too short to make a daily practice of living my life according to the arbitrary whims of some old codger stuck in the early 20th century (at best). There's a lot of things in life one does as an accommodation to the occasion but avoids doing as a matter of daily routine.

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #129 on: August 29, 2012, 11:48:56 AM »

There's a lot of things in life one does as an accommodation to the occasion but avoids doing as a matter of daily routine.

The above is exactly how I find the strength to treat some of the douche bags on this site with respect when I meet them in person.  It has nothing to do with an internet persona, its just a sacrifice one makes on the occasion.

Kalen Braley

« Reply #130 on: August 29, 2012, 11:53:19 AM »

There's a lot of things in life one does as an accommodation to the occasion but avoids doing as a matter of daily routine.

The above is exactly how I find the strength to treat some of the douche bags on this site with respect when I meet them in person.  It has nothing to do with an internet persona, its just a sacrifice one makes on the occasion.

And you can be thankful that same treatment is returned to you tenfold over!  ;)

Howard Riefs

« Reply #131 on: September 17, 2012, 01:59:37 PM »
Seems we inspired Golf Digest:

http://www.golfdigest.com/magazine/blogs/reaction/2012/09/is-it-appropriate-to-use-your.html

One insight we didn't think of as to why cell phones are appropriate:

“And you can use it as a ball marker if you lose your coin.”

"Golf combines two favorite American pastimes: Taking long walks and hitting things with a stick."  ~P.J. O'Rourke

JR Potts

« Reply #132 on: September 17, 2012, 02:32:19 PM »
I went out to watch some Ryder Cup players play a practice round last Monday.  All four of them had their IPhone in their, gasp, CART.  Even the Captain had his phone out.  All of them were looking at their phones during their practice round - even while DRIVING to their ball.

...They don't respect the game...

...They're not nearly as important as they think they are....

...They are rude...

...They are affecting their playing partners' game...

...They are the lowest common denominator....

And for the best one ever...they condemn altruism...
« Last Edit: September 17, 2012, 03:01:13 PM by JR Potts »

Patrick_Mucci

« Reply #133 on: September 17, 2012, 02:53:41 PM »
Pat,

I'll play along, so I'll offer the following:.

If you or whomever lands me an invite to play ANGC, I'll not only turn off my phone, but I'll flush it down the toilet in the crows nest.

Until then, I"ll continue to use it discretely on the course as needed

...the ball is in your court now to put me to the test!!   ;D

Kalen,

When I inquired about obtaining an invitation for you, my host asked me, does this fellow use his cell phone whilst playing ?

I had to answer in the affirmative.

And as a result, my host said, "well, we can't have those types playing here, can we ?"
I responded, "Definitely not" 
Sorry. ;D

Kalen Braley

« Reply #134 on: September 17, 2012, 03:01:02 PM »
Damn!!! And to think I was that close!!!

I shall now have to brag to my buddies about the invite "I almost got" to play ANGC!

Well played Pat.  ;D

Patrick_Mucci

« Reply #135 on: September 17, 2012, 09:25:06 PM »

I shall now have to brag to my buddies about the invite "I almost got" to play ANGC!

Well played Pat.  ;D

Kalen,

Consider yourself on double secret probation for the coming year  ;D

Kalen Braley

« Reply #136 on: September 18, 2012, 04:42:49 PM »

Well played Pat.  ;D

Kalen,

Consider yourself on double secret probation for the coming year  ;D

I shall keep a watchful eye on my GCA inbox for my invite.

I just know its gotta be coming any day now.... ;D

Daryl David

« Reply #137 on: September 19, 2012, 12:58:47 PM »
Not that I would ever do this, but isn't the biggest benefit of Blackberries and smartphones the ability to give the illusion that one is working when they are actually out on the golf course?

Indeed it is.  Years ago when cell phones were new, I was on the phone with my boss while playing.  I told him I was driving to a meeting and needed him to hold a minute while I fiddled with the map.  No mute buttons in those days, so I laid the phone on the ground and hit my approach shot.  When I got back on with the boss he asked how many yards I had to the green.  He then asked if I thought I could make a living playing golf since I might have to in the future.  That is what they invented the mute button for.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back