News:

Welcome to the Golf Club Atlas Discussion Group!

Please note, each user is approved by the Golf Club Atlas editorial staff. For any new inquiries, please contact us and we will be in contact.

Sean_A

Re: Mobile Phones are essential on a golf course in this day and age.
« Reply #100 on: August 27, 2012, 05:32:09 PM »
Its a strange argument about economics.  Times are tough in the UK concerning golf and memberships, but I am not noticing signs which welcome mobile phones on the course.  Generally speaking, at the clubs I visit, mobile phones are on the course or talking in the house are frowned upon, not just by rule makers, but by members.  Okay, some of this may be a cultural thing just like hats in the house, but I find it hard to believe a club can't make a go of it without allowing phone usage on the grounds. 

Incidentally, it would be nice if just a few of the "must have my phone 24/7" guys would at least admit that this is a preference, desire or even an addiction, but not essential to carry on with a job or family.  What, others don't have the same commitments, ambitions, pressures?  of course others do.  No, this is not an essential aspect for just about everybody on this planet - its much more of a life style choice.       

Ciao
New plays planned for 2024: Nothing

Peter Pallotta

« Reply #101 on: August 27, 2012, 05:38:23 PM »
Jeff - a good post, in many ways. I understand your pov; I think I even share it. But I did find the weightiness of the discussion, the almost moralizing tone of some of the posts, the implicit rule-making, a bit misguided/misplaced given the subject, i.e. the ubiquitous and garden variety cell phone.   

Peter

JMEvensky

« Reply #102 on: August 27, 2012, 05:42:32 PM »
Jeff - a good post, in many ways. I understand your pov; I think I even share it. But I did find the weightiness of the discussion, the almost moralizing tone of some of the posts, the implicit rule-making, a bit misguided/misplaced given the subject, i.e. the ubiquitous and garden variety cell phone.  

Peter

Most people like their clubs,and their worlds,to stay the same--that's why they joined them in the first place.When things start changing,all you can do is rant about the small things (cell phones) because the larger issues are out of your control.

We become cantakerous curmudgeons--and it ain't a pretty sight.
« Last Edit: August 27, 2012, 05:44:11 PM by JMEvensky »

Peter Pallotta

« Reply #103 on: August 27, 2012, 05:51:54 PM »
Tee hee - yeah, you're right again, Jeff. Maybe that's it: maybe I looked at this thread, and saw staring back back at me my own curmudgeonly reflection....and had to turn away! :)

Wayne_Kozun

« Reply #104 on: August 28, 2012, 03:55:48 PM »
Its a strange argument about economics.  Times are tough in the UK concerning golf and memberships, but I am not noticing signs which welcome mobile phones on the course. 
Here in Toronto almost all private clubs have relaxed the rules on smartphones as I believe only one club in the area now has a waiting list - the clubs can't afford to be too snooty about this or they will not attractive anyone under the age of 50.  They dont necessarily welcome phones on the course but the rule used to be you can only use your phone in the parking lot.  The rule is now to use your phone discreetly in certain parts of the clubhouse and not hold up play and you can use the email/texting functioanlity pretty much wherever you want. 

The same thing at most of these clubs when it comes to denim in the clubhouse.

William_G

« Reply #105 on: August 28, 2012, 04:01:27 PM »
I always carry my phone in my bag in silent mode.

If I do check the phone, I am discreet and do not interefere with other's experience.

The phone also can be used as a camera.

Thanks
It's all about the golf!

JESII

« Reply #106 on: August 28, 2012, 04:29:51 PM »
Other than the expected hyperbole here, I wonder if anyone actually makes a club joining decision based on the cell phone policy of that club...of all the tie-breakers I'd guess this one comes in about 75th place, right?

We've had these threads in the past, what are the 4 or 5 most important aspects when considering joining a club?

For me...

Family culture/activities
Friends within current membership
Cost
Course Quality
Practice facility

Maybe others

Jud_T

« Reply #107 on: August 28, 2012, 06:38:56 PM »
While I'm in general agreement that phones should only be used discreetly if at all at a club, if you ever plan on attracting members born after 1990 and think you're going to completely ban smartphones you're either incompetent or have had zero interaction with today's teenagers.
Golf is a game. We play it. Somewhere along the way we took the fun out of it and charged a premium to be punished.- - Ron Sirak

Dan King

« Reply #108 on: August 28, 2012, 07:04:56 PM »
Jud Tigerman writes:
if you ever plan on attracting members born after 1990 and think you're going to completely ban smartphones you're either incompetent or have had zero interaction with today's teenagers.

I'm having trouble understanding why anyone would want interaction with today's teenagers.

Cheers,
Dan King
When the target audience is American teenage kids, you can have problems. My generation prized really fine acting and writing. Sometimes you have to go back to the basic principles which underpin great visual comedy.
 --John Cleese

Patrick_Mucci

« Reply #109 on: August 28, 2012, 07:07:53 PM »
While I'm in general agreement that phones should only be used discreetly if at all at a club, if you ever plan on attracting members born after 1990 and think you're going to completely ban smartphones you're either incompetent or have had zero interaction with today's teenagers.

Jud,

Today's teenagers aren't joining clubs and they won't be joining clubs any time soon.

Clubs like Winged Foot, Baltusrol, Fenway, Quaker Ridge, Plainfield, Mountain Ridge, GCGC and many many others have waiting lists and prohibit cell phone use.

Your problem is that you want to appeal to the lowest common denominator and accept the tail wagging the dog.

Sean Leary

« Reply #110 on: August 28, 2012, 07:19:09 PM »
My club has what I believe works best..

We have a no cell phone policy except in the parking lot or locker room. With that being said, what that means is:

-don't get caught talking on the phone anywhere people can see you. On the course, on the range, in the grill etc. Seriously, don't do it.

- Most people have them on silent and will occasionally check them etc, especially during the week. Only use discreetly for quick email responses etc and for emergency calls. It is policed by the members and works perfectly.

A rule is a rule and it does get broken, but not abused, if that makes any sense. Some I am sure will disagree. If I were starting my own club, that would be the "policy" I would have as well.
« Last Edit: August 28, 2012, 08:08:57 PM by Sean Leary »

Jud_T

« Reply #111 on: August 28, 2012, 07:26:15 PM »
Pat,

1.  They will be applying in 10-15 years.  Not as far off as one might think.

2.  Of course the most sought after courses and clubs that have waiting lists can do what they like.  They are but a miniscule fraction of all clubs nationwide.

3.  It's not a question of the lowest common denominator, it's a question of a cultural, generational divide.
Golf is a game. We play it. Somewhere along the way we took the fun out of it and charged a premium to be punished.- - Ron Sirak

JESII

« Reply #112 on: August 28, 2012, 07:33:23 PM »
Jud,

Let's be honest, the only defense put forth is to enable the lowest common denominator...that's the person that would risk everyone else's enjoyment so that they can be on call. This is not intollerance of emergencies it's identifying them.

Tiger_Bernhardt

« Reply #113 on: August 28, 2012, 07:51:35 PM »
Count me as one who says no cell phone talking on the golf course. I am live with texting between holes or nines. If ones job does not allow for 4 hours without talking then do not play that day. One can email or text from the course without destubing the other players.

Jim Colton

« Reply #114 on: August 28, 2012, 07:58:27 PM »
Not that I would ever do this, but isn't the biggest benefit of Blackberries and smartphones the ability to give the illusion that one is working when they are actually out on the golf course?

JR Potts

« Reply #115 on: August 28, 2012, 08:10:43 PM »
Not that I would ever do this, but isn't the biggest benefit of Blackberries and smartphones the ability to give the illusion that one is working when they are actually out on the golf course?

Exactly.

Jason Walker

« Reply #116 on: August 28, 2012, 08:45:20 PM »

Exactly.

Winner!

But I'm very reluctant to reveal all my tricks in a public forum such as this...

JR Potts

« Reply #117 on: August 28, 2012, 08:50:28 PM »
Yep. 

However, as I tell my associates, you are always going to be swamped and seemingly behind.  When you need to get away, get away - but please make sure you keep moving the ball back to the other side, in the right direction and return every call or email from a client.  The perception of inaction and the failure to return a call is what will doom any small business owner in a service industry.

Over-deliver on service.....and do that by playing golf with a cell phone if need be. 

Michael Moore

« Reply #118 on: August 28, 2012, 09:07:15 PM »

When you are communicating with your colleagues and clients while you are on the golf course, you are not practicing illusionism, you are working.
Metaphor is social and shares the table with the objects it intertwines and the attitudes it reconciles. Opinion, like the Michelin inspector, dines alone. - Adam Gopnik, The Table Comes First

C. Squier

« Reply #119 on: August 28, 2012, 09:20:25 PM »
I don't mind someone answering emails and/or texts.....until they slow down play.  But phone calls?  Nothing drives me more nuts.  A completely unexpected emergency?  I'll leave the golf course myself to drive you to it myself.  But normal work or social calls?  I'll try to never play with you again. 

Sorry, if your work requires you to never be away from your phone for more than 4 hours, perhaps golf just isn't the pastime for you.  Your playing partners shuffled their life around so they won't be distracted, respect that.

Charlie_Bell

« Reply #120 on: August 28, 2012, 09:29:55 PM »
I've read every post on Thread #1, posted on it a couple of times, and now I've read every post on this thread.  I have never been so grateful for living in a community without reliable cell service. 

Thank you one and all.

JR Potts

« Reply #121 on: August 28, 2012, 10:06:17 PM »
I don't mind someone answering emails and/or texts.....until they slow down play.  But phone calls?  Nothing drives me more nuts. 

I guess I agree with that as well. 

Patrick_Mucci

« Reply #122 on: August 28, 2012, 10:11:45 PM »
So let me ask all of those who can't stop using their electronic devices during a round, if you were invited to ANGC for a round, would you decline due to your habit and the club's policy on electronic devices ?

Please, I'd like to see the answer from each of you who declared that you couldn't be without the use for 4-5 hours.

Thanks

Wayne_Kozun

« Reply #123 on: August 28, 2012, 10:13:11 PM »

Exactly.
And it is why the first thing that you do is remove the email signature where it says "Sent via Blackberry" or "Sent from my iPhone"

Wayne_Kozun

« Reply #124 on: August 28, 2012, 10:20:02 PM »
Please, I'd like to see the answer from each of you who declared that you couldn't be without the use for 4-5 hours.
No one is saying that there aren't times when they can be without the devices for 4-5 hours and many (most?) of us would be very careful about using a phone when a guest at a private club.  But we are saying that having a phone means that we can get out to the course more often as it allows us to still be responsive to employees/colleagues/clients/boss and play golf at the same time.  For many of us it is expected that we be able to respond to people in a timely fashion, likely within 30-60 minutes. 

Can we be without these devices a few times per year? Sure.  But we may not be able to be without these devices for 5-6 hours (assuming that the phone is shut off when you get to the range and isn't turned on until you get in your car post-round) 30-40 times per year especially when it is a couple of times a week for those of us living in climates where our golf season is 6-7 months long.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back