News:

Welcome to the Golf Club Atlas Discussion Group!

Please note, each user is approved by the Golf Club Atlas editorial staff. For any new inquiries, please contact us and we will be in contact.

Dan Herrmann

Re: Mobile Phones are essential on a golf course in this day and age.
« Reply #75 on: August 27, 2012, 06:43:27 AM »
Uh...  I wouldn't compare playing a game/recreation (golf) to being in church

PS - I really hate cell phones, but there are jobs that require 24x7 access at certain times you might find yourself on a golf course.  I too don't like people taking calls during play.  Really.   
« Last Edit: August 27, 2012, 06:46:24 AM by Dan Herrmann »

Duncan Cheslett

« Reply #76 on: August 27, 2012, 07:57:00 AM »
A couple of months ago I was in the pro's shop picking up my card for our monthly medal 5 minutes before heading for the first tee. My phone rang; it was my wife with the news that her mother was being rushed to hospital after suffering a heart attack. I immediately cancelled my game and rushed home.

A couple of minutes later and my phone would have been turned off and my wife would have been faced with dealiing with the crisis alone - as it was, I was able to help. Fortunately, my mother-in law survived and after the insertion of a stent is now fitter than ever.

Ideally, I would love to completely isolated from the outside world while I enjoy my golf, but mobile phones are now a fact of life and are not going to go away. Should a similar emergancy occur again my wife would certainly not understand or take kindly to my having my phone switched off or having left it in the car.

I now carry my phone with me on vibrate so that I can be contacted.

PCCraig

« Reply #77 on: August 27, 2012, 09:32:09 AM »
As I already posted on one of these cell phone threads, this issue ultimately boils down to common sense. The main issue are guys that needlessly check and use their phones during a round of golf....that can mean the guy who walks off into the woods to talk on his phone multiple times during a round or is checking their e-mail in between shots. That type of behavior is obnoxious and I'm guessing I'm not the only one who doesn't enjoy playing golf with someone like that.

I'm guessing there is a big difference between "that guy" and most of us and it's more of a grey issue than the black & white one most are making it on these threads. I don't think anyone would fault Mike Sweeney for having his phone on him for family emergencies related to his son. But there is a big difference between someone who keeps their phone on vibrate in their pocket in case of emergencies versus the guy who has his phone in a holster on his belt who is constantly worried about being "out of touch" with his work, family, or friends.
H.P.S.

George Pazin

« Reply #78 on: August 27, 2012, 09:36:36 AM »

And people wonder why golf has a reputation of only being for the elites.

George,

Since when is common courtesy and proper etiquette as described in the first chapter of the USGA rule book solely for the elites ?

I think you are confusing the rude actions of individuals with the instrument; it's not the phone that's rude, it's the person.

Your earlier list of people you've golfed with is impressive, but there is something most if not all of those people have in common - they have made it to the top rung and likely have highly paid and highly competent people who can do their work for them. (And I don't begrudge them that for a second, congrats I say, they've earned it.) Not everyone has that luxury. You're a good Catholic boy :) - can you imagine someone trying to contact his priest with an urgent problem and being told, he's on the golf course, can this other gentleman help you? The time lag between someone from the course notifying him and his taking the call himself can make a huge difference.

I can't imagine anyone begrudging someone like Tommy Williamsen his use of a phone for special situations, and I can think of few individuals I would rather join for a round of golf.

If it didn't bother Don Mahaffey (another person high on my list of golf partners), why does it bother so many others that Ben Sims is highly devoted to his job and his country? Ben can join me any time, I would answer his phone for him!

By the way, you did the right thing by asking to be driven in. That's the proper way to handle the situation - make it clear to people that phones are for emergencies. Banning phones is like punishing an entire classroom of kids for the repeated actions of one problem child.

And before you ask, yes, I always obey the rules of any club I am fortunate enough to be at, whether it's cell phone use or dress code. I'm quite sure most do. That's doesn't mean you can't disagree with the rule in question.
Big drivers and hot balls are the product of golf course design that rewards the hit one far then hit one high strategy.  Shinny showed everyone how to take care of this whole technology dilemma. - Pat Brockwell, 6/24/04

Ben Sims

« Reply #79 on: August 27, 2012, 10:32:06 AM »
Fuddy duddy mentality, Gen Y - more strawmen, I think.

I have no idea what you do, but you are not the only one that has a busy and important job, family and the possibility that one of them may have an accident or illness while you are playing golf. Nor the only one involved in economic generation for Gen Y, not to mention X and Z, but I apologise if my attitude to mobiles on the course is bringing down the economy.

Funny nobody has yet said that they DO keep their phone on in church.

Overall it is a balance of rights. Is your right for a phone to ring on the course and interrupt my golf greater than my right to come to the golf course for a few hours of golf and peace and golf. Seems like you think it is. I disagree, just as I disagree that my right to be contacted trumps that of you or my playing partners.

If your job really is mission critical, you can leave your name at the club and direct messages there, and have someone come out or contact you via the cart messaging if there is a scramble.

It is also good for the soul to break that 24/7 contact with the office now and again. Teaches you that you are not indispensable and the world keeps moving.

Martin,

You're argument seems to be based in ambiguous terms like "rights" and what's "good for the soul."  Furthermore, you've now crossed over into comparing your round of golf with a church service.  If you're trying to sway me or make any form a lucid argument, you're losing.  

I don't expect you to read back and see the conversations I've had with others on this thread, you've made it clear in your past post that you can't be bothered with trying to find out where someone is coming from.  Let me make it very clear for you, I do not have a right to not be accountable to my superiors. If they need information in order to better handle an emergency, or to notify a family member of an accident, it is incumbent upon me to provide that information 24hrs a day.  Unless I am on leave, then I am expected to be accountable.  I will not take leave every time I wish to play golf.  

By the way, for everyone, let's have a quick poll.  How many of you have been to a "no cell" golf course/club and your host has whipped out their mobile device once or twice during the round?  Of the last five courses I've played with a no cell policy and with a host, my host has checked his device 4 of those times.  It was no big deal.  

Dan Herrmann

« Reply #80 on: August 27, 2012, 01:42:27 PM »
Funny story - I was playing an excellent course with a really great caddie.  Coming up 18, he excused himself - no problem.  He was over in the trees making a cell phone call to his family to let them know he was going to try to get a 2nd loop.

It was a no-cell phone course and I really gave him the business when he got back (in a friendly, funny way).  We both had a good laugh over it.

And the sanctity of the game was upheld.  A hymn was next, followed by a beautiful rainbow. :)

Patrick_Mucci

« Reply #81 on: August 27, 2012, 01:51:22 PM »
Dan,

I recently played in a tournament where the Head Pro, on the first tee, reviewing the rules and reminders of the day, stated, in no uncertain terms, that the use of electronic communication devices was strictly prohibited and that breach would result in immediate disqualification.

I didn't see or hear of anyone who elected to use any electronic devices for communications.

Why. Do you think that was ?

Did everything in the world that was important take a break for the days the tournament was held ?

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #82 on: August 27, 2012, 02:13:04 PM »

By the way, for everyone, let's have a quick poll.  How many of you have been to a "no cell" golf course/club and your host has whipped out their mobile device once or twice during the round?  Of the last five courses I've played with a no cell policy and with a host, my host has checked his device 4 of those times.  It was no big deal.

Ben,

I have never been reluctant to host you at any course where I am a member because of your phone use.  I am not however interested in playing with someone who comes on a public forum and snitches about their host's behavior.  It just wasn't that hard to figure out who you were talking about.

George Pazin

« Reply #83 on: August 27, 2012, 02:15:59 PM »
Dan,

I recently played in a tournament where the Head Pro, on the first tee, reviewing the rules and reminders of the day, stated, in no uncertain terms, that the use of electronic communication devices was strictly prohibited and that breach would result in immediate disqualification.

I didn't see or hear of anyone who elected to use any electronic devices for communications.

Why. Do you think that was ?

Did everything in the world that was important take a break for the days the tournament was held ?

I believe someone once said, there's golf, and there's tournament golf - they are not at all the same. :)

I'd be surprised if even those tethered to their phones did not un-tether for tournaments.
Big drivers and hot balls are the product of golf course design that rewards the hit one far then hit one high strategy.  Shinny showed everyone how to take care of this whole technology dilemma. - Pat Brockwell, 6/24/04

Josh Tarble

« Reply #84 on: August 27, 2012, 03:00:57 PM »
Josh, et. al,

Has the receipt or placing of any phone calls improved your play on the golf course ?

No. Exact opposite, it's typically substantially worse.  But I enjoy being outside and playing.  I try to use it as little as possible with as little impact on fellow players as can be.  It's definitely not the ideal situation, but if the result is me getting out of the office, I can live with it.  And with common courtesy, I think those around me can as well.

Ben Sims

« Reply #85 on: August 27, 2012, 03:20:40 PM »

Ben,

I have never been reluctant to host you at any course where I am a member because of your phone use.  I am not however interested in playing with someone who comes on a public forum and snitches about their host's behavior.  It just wasn't that hard to figure out who you were talking about.

John,

That ruined my day.  I was so looking forward to our first round together at one of your clubs.  Indeed, I was planning on taking leave so I could turn my phone off for you.   

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #86 on: August 27, 2012, 03:24:18 PM »
Like I said phone use doesn't bother me but please take off your medals so they don't clink during my backswing. 

Ben Sims

« Reply #87 on: August 27, 2012, 03:37:24 PM »
Like I said phone use doesn't bother me but please take off your medals so they don't clink during my backswing. 

John,

I'm disappointed.  You know darn well that I don't wear any medals while I play.  Get it together man.  I keep them on the bag with my bag tag collection.

Dan Herrmann

« Reply #88 on: August 27, 2012, 03:46:57 PM »
But what about the ribbons?  :)

Wayne_Kozun

« Reply #89 on: August 27, 2012, 03:53:55 PM »
Funny nobody has yet said that they DO keep their phone on in church.
Golf is my religion and the golf course is my church.

Brent Hutto

« Reply #90 on: August 27, 2012, 04:02:00 PM »
It amazes me how badly some otherwise reasonable folks want to control what other people do. If I ever found myself giving a shit about whether someone, somewhere was sneaking a look at their cellphone I would off myself. Seriously.

Because obviously my life at that point would be a living hell. An entire planet full of people raging out of control and me in charge of every, strinking minute detail of their lives. The responsibility would be crushing.

Patrick_Mucci

« Reply #91 on: August 27, 2012, 04:09:01 PM »
It amazes me how badly some otherwise reasonable folks want to control what other people do. If I ever found myself giving a shit about whether someone, somewhere was sneaking a look at their cellphone I would off myself. Seriously.

Because obviously my life at that point would be a living hell. An entire planet full of people raging out of control and me in charge of every, strinking minute detail of their lives. The responsibility would be crushing.

Brett,

Than consider this:

If you're a member at a club that has a strict "no electronic device" policy, and a guest of yours sneaked off to use the device and was observed and reported to the club, and you were suspended for a month, would you give a shit, before, during or after your suspension ? ;D

Jay Flemma

« Reply #92 on: August 27, 2012, 04:10:28 PM »
With great respect  can't agree. No phone should be "essential" except to a doctor, and even then he/she should be required to behave with a great deal of discretion in using it on the course.  I've brought my cell phone on the course maybe three times in my life, and those were under circumstances where a) I did not want to, but work demanded it and b) canceling golf would have been rude to my friend/host/buddy RJ Daley.

I kept the phone on vibrate only - never ring - and went deep into the woods so no one could hear me. My group went ahead and I caught up when I was done.  If I had to skip a hole, my loss. And even then, it was only at a public course, never a private course.

Other than that, the cell phone stays where it belongs - in the trunk.  

I don;t think it's "backwards" or anachronistic for a course to require no cell phones.  It promotes altruism and good manners.
Mackenzie, MacRayBanks, Maxwell, Doak, Dye, Strantz. @JayGolfUSA, GNN Radio Host of Jay's Plays www.cybergolf.com/writerscorner

Brent Hutto

« Reply #93 on: August 27, 2012, 04:19:55 PM »
Pat,

No such club would invite me to join, nor would I consider inflicting myself upon them as a member in any case. One nice thing about the right to association is that persons and clubs can select each other for shared values and mutual compatibility. Thank goodness for that.

Peter Pallotta

« Reply #94 on: August 27, 2012, 04:25:00 PM »
This site is trending towards 'the lifestyles of the rich and famous', except it's more like the 'picayune predilections of the petite bourgeoisie'....

Peter

JR Potts

« Reply #95 on: August 27, 2012, 04:41:03 PM »

It promotes altruism and good manners.

What a load of shit.  I would love to know how carrying a phone and checking a message during a round somehow condemns altruism.

This thread has officially jumped the shark.  The self aggrandizement of ones golfing manners and, gasp, altruism as a result of ones non-use or seldom-use of a cell phone on a golf course has me throwing up all over my computer.

It's about time for someone to start www.golfclubatlasfornormalfuckingpeople.com

Patrick_Mucci

« Reply #96 on: August 27, 2012, 04:43:06 PM »
JR Potts,

Have you ever read "Section I" in the USGA rule book ?

Jud_T

« Reply #97 on: August 27, 2012, 04:48:26 PM »
I need my phone cause that's where my GPS yardage app is... 8)   I'll admit that I hate hearing someones ringer go off on the course.  That's just stupidity.
Golf is a game. We play it. Somewhere along the way we took the fun out of it and charged a premium to be punished.- - Ron Sirak

JR Potts

« Reply #98 on: August 27, 2012, 05:04:47 PM »
JR Potts,

Have you ever read "Section I" in the USGA rule book ?

Yes, I have in the past and just read it again.  You've played enough golf to know that it is impossible not to offend the oft-offended.

Pat - I don't know you but given what I read on here, I like you a lot.  You know your stuff, you've experienced a lot in golf - but, you don't have first-world experience with the burdens of the young father/businessman in this digital environment.  My Dad, who is my best friend, shares your views - but he's been around me, my family and my friends with families enough to know that he doesn't have a clue as to what burdens we are under - compared to his generation.  The days of going to the club all-day on Saturday and Sunday playing golf are over.  The days of the slow work turnaround due to mail delays, etc. are over.  The days of dictating the family schedule or not attending every single family event are over.  And he gets that and sees that.

I now play to a one handicap without any practice and don't play competitive golf outside of the club anymore because I do abide by the rules and don't want to be away from my phone/business on a weekday.  So, competition gets sacrificed - along with my golfing consistency.  But, I get to play 30 times a year, coach my kids soccer teams, go to my kids schools for events, volunteer my time for boards/etc. and maintain a relatively successful law practice in Chicago.  My Dad, who is a great father and was generally involved didn't have half of the responsibilities as a father/husband.  I don't know when things changed - but they did.  And while I think we're better off for it - it makes getting away to play golf on the weekday (the only real time I can get away consistently) a possibility and a joy - but one, for better or worse (likely worse) that is possible with the inclusion of a cell phone.

I'm sure when my firm gets more mature and my kids get older my cell phone dependence will change - but it isn't happening anytime soon.  Thus, I will continue to respect the rules of the Club and play with players on the weekdays who I know wont lead me afoul of Section I.  To those so inclined to be distracted by my several seconds of texting/email of attempting to balance my life or keep things moving forward when playing golf - we just won't get the opportunity to play together - at least for another decade or so.

There should be a checklist when forming games how inclined one is to being bothered as per Section I.  It could make pairings a lot more tolerable.

JMEvensky

« Reply #99 on: August 27, 2012, 05:06:51 PM »
This site is trending towards 'the lifestyles of the rich and famous', except it's more like the 'picayune predilections of the petite bourgeoisie'....

Peter

Peter,you are certainly correct that this thread has shown a big philosophical disconnect between the pro's and anti's. But I don't think it has much to do with money--Mucci's bankroll notwithstanding.It's more of an argument about how clubs are perceived and how some people think clubs have bent too far backward trying to make themselves more youth friendly.

There is a reasonable argument to be made that any historical backsliding wrt golf decorum has had some bad unintended consequences.Some people just want to draw a line in the sand and say "enough".

Cell phones are a way of life now and there are only a handful of clubs which can get away with banning them.That's just the way it is.As SL Solow said earlier (paraphrasing),almost every club is now in a position where younger,prospective members are catered to.

All you can do is hope the guys you play with respect the game enough to use their phones judiciously.My own experience is that most of them do.

But,in a perfect world,I'd rather belong to a club that could afford to ban them.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back