News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Frank Giordano

Dwarf Bermuda Greens in America.
« on: August 21, 2012, 05:37:47 PM »
Can you advise about which courses have recently (and not so recently) switched to  new strains of dwarf Bermuda greens?  And can you specify which strain (Champions, Mini Verde, etc.).  If it's not too soon to talk about results, can you comment on how successful the transition has been.  The comments this weekend at The Wyndham PGA event seemed mostly  positive about the new surfaces there.

Kris Spence

Re: Dwarf Bermuda Greens in America.
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2012, 09:09:54 PM »
Frank, I have been involved with the following projects where ultradwarf bermudagrass was planted on greens:

Sedgefield CC, Greensboro NC -  C
Camden CC, Camden SC - MV
Occoneechee Golf Course, Hillsborough NC - C
River Run CC, Davidson NC - C
River Hills CC, Lake Wylie SC - C
Furman University GC, Greenville SC - C
Starmount Forest CC, Greensboro NC - C

Other courses in this area Im aware of
Willow Creek CC, High Point NC - C
Holly Ridge GC, NC - C
Bermuda Run CC, Clemmons NC - C
Peninsula Club, Charlotte NC - C
Verdict Ridge GC, Huntersville NC - Not sure of variety
Rocky River GC, Concord NC - Not sure of variety
Hillandale GC, Durham - C
Old Chatham GC, Chapel Hill Area - C
Hope Valley CC, Durham - C
Ballantyne Resort, Charlotte - C

There are numerous other courses discussing a change over, I have 3 for next year 1 in AL, 1 in SC, 1 in NC varieties undecided.  I try and stay out of the grass selection.  Most of the talk is about Champion and Mini Verde, however one of the best putting surfaces I have walked on in the last few years were Tifeagle at Millington Air Base Course in TN

rjsimper

« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2012, 10:19:27 PM »
Brier Creek CC also switched this season.

One that was interesting to me is Olde Liberty in Youngsville, NC (near Wake Forest)

It's a golf course that has endured some serious financial difficulties, to the tune of being shut down, sold, and recently reopened with new ownership.

They have put in Champion and I played this past weekend - the greens were really excellent. Not fast as they were not cut down, but very very healthy and strong. Pretty impressive for a course with limited means.

Tom Yost

« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2012, 10:11:38 AM »
Talking Stick North is currently closed for a re-turf of the greens to Mini-Verde.

We-Ko-Pa switched to Mini-Verde on the Saguaro course within the last two years.  Played it fairly soon after the transition and was surprised at the quality. Wouldn't have guessed they had just re-turfed.

Papago used Champion on their greens when they renovated in 2008.  They had been a bit slow to settle in, but this summer were rolling very nice.

« Last Edit: August 22, 2012, 10:39:09 AM by Tom Yost »

SL_Solow

« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2012, 10:17:07 AM »
if you want a course with a little history try the Hamlet in Delray Beach Florida.  They switched to Champions at least 5 years ago when my father was greens chairman.  The grow in was uneventful and they have enjoyed good success over several weather cycles.

BCrosby

« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2012, 10:48:29 AM »
In Metro ATL, courses that have gone to an ultra dwarf include:

East Lake
Atlanta Athletic (mtn. crse)
Cherokee (north crse)
Settindown
Ansley
Berkeley Hills
Pine Tree (?)

I have probably missed some others. All seem to be pleased with change-over.

Tiger_Bernhardt

« Reply #6 on: August 22, 2012, 09:25:46 PM »
Frank I hate to break the news to you but the number of courses is in the hundreds if not thousands in the deep south alone. It will take more than a post on here for this research project to have proper scope to rely on the data drawn from it. I think a letter to the USGA guys that work the southern  states might be the fastest way to get a somewhat comprehensive number and sampling of type of grass and results by course. You will have to really work to quantify why some do better than others given variables which can only be ascertained by interviews by a knowledgable person. 

Frank Giordano

« Reply #7 on: August 22, 2012, 10:43:37 PM »
My original query was based on the thought that dwarf Bermudas are a relatively recent development.  In the Pinehurst area, there are courses using the Champion and Mini Verde varieties, but neither has been used for more than three years, I think.

Thanks to all for your responses and for educating me about the length of time and the numbers of courses where the dwarfs can be found.  I've certainly been impressed by the quality of the putting surfaces where I've seen them.

Anthony_Nysse

« Reply #8 on: August 23, 2012, 06:49:33 AM »
My original query was based on the thought that dwarf Bermudas are a relatively recent development.  In the Pinehurst area, there are courses using the Champion and Mini Verde varieties, but neither has been used for more than three years, I think.

Thanks to all for your responses and for educating me about the length of time and the numbers of courses where the dwarfs can be found.  I've certainly been impressed by the quality of the putting surfaces where I've seen them.

The first ultradwaft was planted at The Landings in Savannah, GA in 1997. It was tifeagle and it still the same grass in play today 15 years later.
Anthony J. Nysse
Director of Golf Courses & Grounds
Apogee Club
Hobe Sound, FL

Tommy Williamsen

« Reply #9 on: August 23, 2012, 10:05:00 AM »
I realize every course will have some different challenges but what kind of budget would it take to regrass with one of the new Bermuda strains?
Where there is no love, put love; there you will find love.
St. John of the Cross

"Deep within your soul-space is a magnificent cathedral where you are sweet beyond telling." Rumi

JMEvensky

« Reply #10 on: August 23, 2012, 10:11:53 AM »

I realize every course will have some different challenges but what kind of budget would it take to regrass with one of the new Bermuda strains?

In Memphis 7 years ago,we re-grassed 20 greens (~ 120,000 square feet) with Champion for $115,000 all in. Killed the bent grass on 5 July and putted on the new greens Labor Day weekend.

Just about every club in town will have the same story.

Joe_Tucholski

« Reply #11 on: May 31, 2013, 10:52:38 AM »
Looks like Pinehurst #2 will be making the change immediately after hosting the US Opens.
http://pinehurstmedia.com/news/pinehurst-to-convert-greens-on-three-more-courses-to-ultradwarf-bermudagrass

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back