News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Mark Smolens

Re: Is this a "proper" hole in one?
« Reply #25 on: August 21, 2012, 05:39:56 PM »
The 18th hole at Chick Evans (a muni across the street from the slightly more renowned Glen View Club  ;D) is a par-3 over the river measuring at about 180 yards. Back in college, when alcohol was generally a large part of the challenge when playing golf, we routinely hit putter on 18, and one of my fraternity brothers hit one to an inch. . . we made him buy a round that night in the basement/bar just for being close to an ace with his putter.

Adrian_Stiff

« Reply #26 on: August 21, 2012, 05:57:58 PM »
Its proper Mr P. IMO a hole in one is 'proper' if its on any course that has a (Standard Scratch) thats a UK term given for a proper course, which has to have a measurement over I think 4001 yards (2001 yards for 9 holes). So a proper ace could be on a 90 yard par 3 if that hole was on a full sized course. If a course has all par three holes I am not sure its a proper ace.
A combination of whats good for golf and good for turf.
The Players Club, Cumberwell Park, The Kendleshire, Oake Manor, Dainton Park, Forest Hills, Erlestoke, St Cleres.
www.theplayersgolfclub.com

John Mayhugh

« Reply #27 on: August 21, 2012, 07:02:48 PM »
Certainly a hole in one. Seems like Finlay made a good decision on how to interact with the architecture.

Jason Topp

« Reply #28 on: August 21, 2012, 07:09:21 PM »
Count it!  The fact that it was with a putter makes it more impressive than a hole in one on a full length course.  Perhaps you should ask him for some tips.

Brian Colbert

« Reply #29 on: August 21, 2012, 07:28:35 PM »
As someone who has witnessed several holes in one but has yet to see one in his 40+ years of golf (30+ as a single digit handicapper). I say hole in one!  If playing The Preserve next year I am blessed enough to get a hole in one, I am definitely calling it official!

Congrats to Finlay! I am sure just one highlight in a lifetime of enjoying golf.  But just to clarify, if I make a hole in one with my belly putter will that still be legal?

You and me both, Charlie. I've seen 9 holes in one and 2 double eagles without ever having recorded either. So yes, this is a hole in one, but I admit it begrudgingly.

Colin Macqueen

« Reply #30 on: August 21, 2012, 07:37:55 PM »
Finlay, just for you!

Finlay's hole in one with a putter
Has GCA all a flutter
The deed has been done
The young man has one
His brothers continue to stutter!

Cheers!

Colin
"Golf, thou art a gentle sprite, I owe thee much"
The Hielander

Tom Walsh

« Reply #31 on: August 21, 2012, 07:54:20 PM »
I grew up playing the renowned Tower 3 Par three course in St. Louis. All holes in one there appeared in the estimable St. Louis Post-Dispatch and acquired the validity of the printed word. They are as good as gold.

I would play a hole with a shovel if I thought I had a chance for a hole in one. Still waiting for over 40 years.
"vado pro vexillum!"

David_Elvins

« Reply #32 on: August 21, 2012, 07:59:59 PM »
Great story, Mark. 

There is an easy way to determine what is a proper hole in one.

Lets say hypothetically, the hole in one contributed to a course record.  If you would consider it a legitimate course record that is recognised by the club, then it is a legitimate hole in one. 

Ask not what GolfClubAtlas can do for you; ask what you can do for GolfClubAtlas.

Bill Brightly

« Reply #33 on: August 21, 2012, 08:37:55 PM »
To make this "on topic," tell your son that CB Macdonald would be rolling over in his grave, and designed holes to prevent just such a feat!

Patrick_Mucci

« Reply #34 on: August 21, 2012, 08:38:52 PM »
Mark,

Whether he was serious or not is irrelevant.

Whether he had more than 14 clubs is irrelevant ( two shot penalty per hole, max 4 shots) so if the shot occurred after the 2nd hole there's no penalty on holes subsequent to # 2.

Colin Macqueen

« Reply #35 on: August 21, 2012, 08:48:27 PM »
True, Bill, true.

However George Thomas said,

"The strategy of the golf course is the soul of the game............ the player who avoids the unwise effort gains advantage over one who tries for more than in him lies.....".

Sounds to me that young Finlay knows the strengths and weaknesses in his game! I hae nae doot he visualised the shot afore he executed!

Cheers Colin
"Golf, thou art a gentle sprite, I owe thee much"
The Hielander

Doug Siebert

« Reply #36 on: August 21, 2012, 09:07:19 PM »
You and me both, Charlie. I've seen 9 holes in one and 2 double eagles without ever having recorded either. So yes, this is a hole in one, but I admit it begrudgingly.

Crazy how that works.  I've had four but the only one I've ever witnessed one other ace (my dad's)  Never hit nor witnessed a double eagle.

Some people get hit by the lightning, some people watch others get hit.  Based on our experience with holes in one, I'm definitely running like hell if I'm ever playing with you and we hear thunder ;)
My hovercraft is full of eels.

Andrew Summerell

« Reply #37 on: August 21, 2012, 10:10:39 PM »
Mark, I’m going to go against the grain here.

You are his father. It is your job, nee your God given right, to bring him back down to earth.
Firstly, you need to ask him was it in official competition? If it’s not in a competition, then it’s not an official hole in one.
Secondly, you need to place ethical guilt on him by saying he didn’t play the hole in the spirit of how the hole was meant to be played.
Thirdly, you need to drop comments like, “Well done, but shame it wasn’t on a real course.”

These methods will work well and what’s more, by the time he needs a psychiatrist he will be over 21 and will have to pay the bills himself.

I hope I have helped.

Patrick_Mucci

« Reply #38 on: August 21, 2012, 10:15:05 PM »

You are his father. It is your job, nee your God given right, to bring him back down to earth.
Firstly, you need to ask him was it in official competition? If it’s not in a competition, then it’s not an official hole in one.
Secondly, you need to place ethical guilt on him by saying he didn’t play the hole in the spirit of how the hole was meant to be played.
Thirdly, you need to drop comments like, “Well done, but shame it wasn’t on a real course.”

These methods will work well and what’s more, by the time he needs a psychiatrist he will be over 21 and will have to pay the bills himself.

I hope I have helped.

Andrew,

Did you ever consider that maybe a putter is the prudent club of choice for that hole ? ;D

John Crowley

« Reply #39 on: August 21, 2012, 10:29:25 PM »
He was on a golf course, he hit a golf ball with a golf club and the ball went in the hole = ace. The end.

Andrew Summerell

« Reply #40 on: August 21, 2012, 10:29:44 PM »

Andrew,

Did you ever consider that maybe a putter is the prudent club of choice for that hole ? ;D

[/quote]

Patrick,

Prudence was ‘turned down’ for membership at my club.

Alex Lagowitz

« Reply #41 on: August 22, 2012, 12:41:57 AM »
My sister hole-in-one'd a pitch-and-putt, four hole course at her summer camp.  It was USGA rated, and the ace counted.  She was not even that interested.  If only I could have one...

Carl Johnson

« Reply #42 on: August 22, 2012, 12:43:44 PM »

I hope I have helped.

Good response, in keeping with the spirit of this website.  ;D

Here's my thinking.  If I get a "hole in one" and don't win a new car or whatever for it, who cares?  I've never had one.  I have a friend who says he's had seven.  I really don't care and don't think more or less of him as a golfer because he's had seven.  I witnessed a friend of mine make one, his third, he said.  Momentary excitement, and then, so what?

Recently I came as close as I have ever come, playing by myself.  The ball stopped virtually on the lip of the cup.  The only witness other than myself was a guy mowing the grass.  We had a good laugh about it.  What if the ball had gone in and there had been no witness other than myself?  The convention I hear is that if there is no other witness, it doesn't count -- it would not be "official".  But, I would count it myself, for what that's worth, which would only be the fun of having it happen at the moment.  I wouldn't expect anyone else to care about it, one way or the other.  So, if the young man is happy that he's made a "hole-in-one," so be it.  It's done.

As an aside, on the witness issue (if it is an issue), in golf we are expected to report rules violations on ourselves even if no one else sees them.  Why then can't we claim holes-in-one that no one else witnesses.  It seems like a fair trade to me.  ;D
« Last Edit: August 22, 2012, 12:47:30 PM by Carl Johnson »

Donnie Beck

« Reply #43 on: August 22, 2012, 01:02:54 PM »
We spent the last two weeks in Elie.  Those who have visited willk now that next to the 18 hole course is Elie Sports Club, which features a short (par 32) 9 hole course, mostly played by families and children not yet ready for the 18 holer.  Hole lengths range from 106 yards to 340 yards.  On Friday my wife played it with our 13 year old twins.  On the 6th hole (par 3, 106 yards) Finlay, who wasn't playing well, teed the ball up and played his tee shot with his putter.  Does the fact that he holed out mean that he is the only one in the family with a hole in one?  Or can the rest of us legitimately claim that it doesn't count, since he wasn't playing the hole seriously?  This is the subject of some debate amongst Finlay and his brothers.

It depends if he played a complete round. The hole in one would not count if he did not play all nine holes.
« Last Edit: August 22, 2012, 01:44:51 PM by Donnie Beck »

Rich Goodale

« Reply #44 on: August 22, 2012, 01:43:19 PM »
Some guy aced the 8th a few years ago at the Eden Course at St. Andrews with his putter (180 yards).  It counted.

My only soupcon is how a teenager could hit a ball with putter 106 yards with the fairways here in Fife as lush and soggy as they have been.  How were the greens stimping that day, Mark?
Life is good.

Any afterlife is unlikely and/or dodgy.

Jean-Paul Parodi

Jeff Fortson

« Reply #45 on: August 22, 2012, 02:25:22 PM »
#nowhitebelt

Adrian_Stiff

« Reply #46 on: August 22, 2012, 03:04:07 PM »
We spent the last two weeks in Elie.  Those who have visited willk now that next to the 18 hole course is Elie Sports Club, which features a short (par 32) 9 hole course, mostly played by families and children not yet ready for the 18 holer.  Hole lengths range from 106 yards to 340 yards.  On Friday my wife played it with our 13 year old twins.  On the 6th hole (par 3, 106 yards) Finlay, who wasn't playing well, teed the ball up and played his tee shot with his putter.  Does the fact that he holed out mean that he is the only one in the family with a hole in one?  Or can the rest of us legitimately claim that it doesn't count, since he wasn't playing the hole seriously?  This is the subject of some debate amongst Finlay and his brothers.

It depends if he played a complete round. The hole in one would not count if he did not play all nine holes.
Where did you get that rule from? I would say a pitch and putt course does not count as a bona fide hole in one and an 8 inch bucket hole that are sometimes used in the winter does not count, cant think of any other nays.
A combination of whats good for golf and good for turf.
The Players Club, Cumberwell Park, The Kendleshire, Oake Manor, Dainton Park, Forest Hills, Erlestoke, St Cleres.
www.theplayersgolfclub.com

Mark Pearce

« Reply #47 on: August 22, 2012, 03:06:13 PM »
Some guy aced the 8th a few years ago at the Eden Course at St. Andrews with his putter (180 yards).  It counted.

My only soupcon is how a teenager could hit a ball with putter 106 yards with the fairways here in Fife as lush and soggy as they have been.  How were the greens stimping that day, Mark?
He hit the ball with his putter but not, I understand, with a putting stroke.  I imagine the greens on the wee course were stomping around 6.  The fairways a little slower!  

And yes, they played all 9.
In June I will be riding the first three stages of this year's Tour de France route for charity.  630km (394 miles) in three days, with 7800m (25,600 feet) of climbing for the William Wates Memorial Trust (https://rideleloop.org/the-charity/) which supports underprivileged young people.

Donnie Beck

« Reply #48 on: August 22, 2012, 04:55:19 PM »

Where did you get that rule from? I would say a pitch and putt course does not count as a bona fide hole in one and an 8 inch bucket hole that are sometimes used in the winter does not count, cant think of any other nays.

http://www.usga.org/RulesFAQ/rules_answer.asp?FAQidx=148&Rule=100

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back