News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Mark Pearce

Is this a "proper" hole in one?
« on: August 21, 2012, 06:00:06 AM »
We spent the last two weeks in Elie.  Those who have visited willk now that next to the 18 hole course is Elie Sports Club, which features a short (par 32) 9 hole course, mostly played by families and children not yet ready for the 18 holer.  Hole lengths range from 106 yards to 340 yards.  On Friday my wife played it with our 13 year old twins.  On the 6th hole (par 3, 106 yards) Finlay, who wasn't playing well, teed the ball up and played his tee shot with his putter.  Does the fact that he holed out mean that he is the only one in the family with a hole in one?  Or can the rest of us legitimately claim that it doesn't count, since he wasn't playing the hole seriously?  This is the subject of some debate amongst Finlay and his brothers.
In June I will be riding the first three stages of this year's Tour de France route for charity.  630km (394 miles) in three days, with 7800m (25,600 feet) of climbing for the William Wates Memorial Trust (https://rideleloop.org/the-charity/) which supports underprivileged young people.

Dónal Ó Ceallaigh

Re: Is this a "proper" hole in one?
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2012, 06:43:09 AM »
100% genuine HIO!

David_Tepper

« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2012, 06:47:58 AM »
Mark P. -

I raised the same question here a couple of years ago, when I aced one of the holes (135 yards long) on the nine hole par-3 course at the Olympic Club. I was advised by one and all that it was the real thing.

Congrats to young Finlay. What kind of drinks is he buying? ;)

DT

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2012, 07:06:46 AM »
Congrats, it is a hole in one on a par 3 course. While better than some ones it is not the best one.

Dónal Ó Ceallaigh

« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2012, 07:09:06 AM »
Congrats, it is a hole in one on a par 3 course. While better than some ones it is not the best one.

Par 3 course  ???
That other 340 yds par 3 must be a real beast  ;D

Mark Pearce

« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2012, 07:14:39 AM »
Just to clarify for John's sake.  If a 9 hole golf course has a par of 32 then it has some par 4s.  Maths obviously isn't in much demand in the road surfacing industry.  And it wasn't the length of the hole that has caused debate in the household but rather the fact that the single shot was played with a putter.
In June I will be riding the first three stages of this year's Tour de France route for charity.  630km (394 miles) in three days, with 7800m (25,600 feet) of climbing for the William Wates Memorial Trust (https://rideleloop.org/the-charity/) which supports underprivileged young people.

Mark McKeever

« Reply #6 on: August 21, 2012, 08:12:58 AM »
Legit

Mark
Best MGA showers - Bayonne

"Dude, he's a total d***"

John_Conley

« Reply #7 on: August 21, 2012, 08:32:31 AM »
And it wasn't the length of the hole that has caused debate in the household but rather the fact that the single shot was played with a putter.

Man, I wouldn't want to grow up in that household!

;)

Carson Pilcher

« Reply #8 on: August 21, 2012, 08:56:00 AM »
Last I checked, the putter is considered one of the 14 clubs in the bag.  That is a Hole In One.  (Now if I could get just ONE in my lifetime...I digress).  ;)

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #9 on: August 21, 2012, 09:41:35 AM »
I was wrong about this, I was wrong about the definition of dormie, considering all good things come in threes I should be wrong again in the near future.

Tim Martin

« Reply #10 on: August 21, 2012, 09:45:15 AM »
Legit hole in one! Way to go Finlay. :)

Mark Bourgeois

« Reply #11 on: August 21, 2012, 09:51:03 AM »
Mackenzie would approve of the hole and of your son's choice of club.

Nigel Islam

« Reply #12 on: August 21, 2012, 10:00:24 AM »
Legit hole in one for sure.

Mark McKeever

« Reply #13 on: August 21, 2012, 10:19:13 AM »
Gotta love stories of kids getting holes in one.  I played with a youngster at Springhaven last fall that had two of them already at age 9!

Mark

John McCarthy

« Reply #14 on: August 21, 2012, 10:24:48 AM »
100% legit.  Juiceboxes for everyone!!!
The only way of really finding out a man's true character is to play golf with him. In no other walk of life does the cloven hoof so quickly display itself.
 PG Wodehouse

Brian Colbert

« Reply #15 on: August 21, 2012, 10:33:27 AM »
This is the most sick and twisted thread in the history of Golf Club Atlas. A kid who made a hole in one with his putter?

I will now go cry in a corner of my apartment.

Eric Smith

« Reply #16 on: August 21, 2012, 10:36:04 AM »
A proper one indeed! Congrats to young Mr. Pearce!

Howard Riefs

« Reply #17 on: August 21, 2012, 10:37:47 AM »
One hole. One stroke. Congrats, Finlay, on your hole in one.
"Golf combines two favorite American pastimes: Taking long walks and hitting things with a stick."  ~P.J. O'Rourke

Gib_Papazian

« Reply #18 on: August 21, 2012, 10:57:07 AM »
If your son played from between the markers, used a legal golf ball and had no more than 14 clubs in his bag, then an ace is an ace.

That stated, the next time the lad stands on the sixth tee, will he be pulling out his putter in an attempt to repeat the fluke?

It would be interesting to know if anyone has ever made consecutive hole-in-ones from the same tee, using a putter for at least one of the swings. 

Stephen Davis

« Reply #19 on: August 21, 2012, 01:38:57 PM »
The first hole-in-one I ever witnessed was done by a man holding a 6 iron. The ball traveled a full 12 inches in the air before it worm burned its way all the way into the hole. Does the fact that he hit his 6 iron so poorly make it less of a hole in one? No more than the well struck putter shot of young Finlay. I say Finlay's shot was an ingenious play use of the design features of the course, a shot worthy of the old Scots playing TOC. I am sure there have been a fair number of similar shots made there. Congrats to the young man!

Mark McKeever

« Reply #20 on: August 21, 2012, 01:40:22 PM »
I can imagine this feat makes Kyle Harris extremely jealous.

Mark

Craig Disher

« Reply #21 on: August 21, 2012, 01:52:51 PM »
Mark,
If I understand this correctly, Finlay holed a 300 foot putt, most of which was over rough, bumpy ground. It sounds like a greater achievement than if he'd aced with a sand wedge. Congratulations to the young golfer.

Alex Miller

« Reply #22 on: August 21, 2012, 01:54:07 PM »
Why is this even a question? Of course it is!

Mark McKeever

« Reply #23 on: August 21, 2012, 02:26:33 PM »
Mark,
If I understand this correctly, Finlay holed a 300 foot putt, most of which was over rough, bumpy ground. It sounds like a greater achievement than if he'd aced with a sand wedge. Congratulations to the young golfer.

I agree that this is a phenomenal achievement.  It's a much tougher shot than with a wedge.
Mark

Sean Leary

« Reply #24 on: August 21, 2012, 05:34:32 PM »
I miss having Huckaby weigh on this topic. :)

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back